Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Castleknock GC Sat 20th July 11.20am

Options
  • 03-07-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Only 3 outings left my god were does the time go!

Next up is Castleknock Golf Club Saturday 20th July at 11.20am

Located in the leafy suburbs of Dublin, Castleknock Golf Club is one of the finest parkland courses in the country. The course is maintained to the highest standards and is open all year round, with no mats or temporary greens.

https://youtu.be/ht7qui9vU0s

The green fee for this one is €45 teamer invites be sent out shortly.

Regards

Benny79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Thanks Benny, hope to be at this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Thanks Benny, I am going to the Open on Fri, so a late tee time would be great. Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can't wait to get back at it after missing the last 2 rounds. I'm off to a stag in westport afterwards so an early tee time for me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

well thankfully the calendar is clear and I can make this one!!

home advantage will be of no benefit to me here as my last 2 rounds consisted of 20 points and 25 points :o, my only 2 games on the course in about 4 months, but I might try and sneak a game before the 20th.

i'll do up a bit of a course guide shortly

Oh, I would suggest we play off white tees
    9th for nearest the Pin.
    16th for longest drive

• Advertisement

1st. Short par 4, reachable with a big drive. Smart play is a 5 or 6 iron, to right side of fairway. Water all down left. right of green is OB and you can easily catch it with a driver.

2nd. Long par 5, aim your drive just to the right of the tree, but 2 bunkers in the right rough can catch drives. A sliced shot high on the hill could be lost in the trees or if you are further right towards the 1st tee box you could go OB, so play a provo. It will take a monster of a wind assisted drive to have any chance of getting on or near in 2.

3rd. really tough par 3. I've gone at it with everything from a 7 iron to a 3 wood depending on wind. short left is safe and good. bit of room on the left of green but shout fore as next tee box is over there and a hit a provo if you don't see it land.

4th. Long par 4 index 2 (but it's not really, there are harder holes) slight dogleg right. drive down the right side of the fairway, if you hit a long one down the middle or left you could run out of fairway into cabbage and even OB. realistically most people don't get it that far though, if you get between the bunkers its a good drive. Approach has 2 bunkers short of the green, one behind the other and there is a bit of room between them and the green. bunker right of green also. clever approach is short left to give a nice chip shot in.

5th. Another drivable par 4. aim for right side of the green even if pin is on left as, bunkers guarding green there and OB all way up left in a practice area and balls not OB can be easily lost in the rough. a 5 iron off the tee will probably leave less than 100yards approach.

6th. Makeable par 5, doglegs right over water. Your drive has to be good and find the area between bunker and water. shot for most people is to go straight at the bunker, don't want to be to far right or you might have to lay up short of the water with your second, brave shot is to keep it as let as you dare.

7th. can be another tough par 3. 2 bunkers on the left with room in between them. its a good miss short left or between the bunkers, don't want to be left or you'll need your togs.

8th. tough par 5. tiger line is just to the right of left hand bunkers as hole doglegs slightly left. a big hit on the right side may run out of fairway and find rough or bunker. a slice right is trouble, shout fore (7th teebox) & hit provo, way left is 17th fairway and not the worst but will leave you blind approach shot. green is guarded on front right with plenty of sand, approach on left side

9th. par 3 double green with 18th over water. its the one on the right as you face the clubhouse. have a look at the green as you walk down to the first tee, its bigger than it looks from the tee.

10th. par 5, makeable in 2. Its a good hole if you take the road and clubhouse and car park out of it, actually a very good hole, but as it is I think it is a very dangerous hole and stupid hole that should be redesigned. I've seen drives hit the clubhouse, i've hit drives into the car park, ive hit drives that went straight down the middle and hit kerb or road & ended up following the road out to the hotel. OB all down the right of hole. lake short of road on the left (hidden from tee) you can take the road on and if you plan to make the green in 2 you have to take the road on. prudent approach is 4-6 iron short of road, 7 iron, pw. is not a long hole, there is a stream running across front of green, lake to the left and forest to right

11th. can be tricky if wind is up. play left side of the green, water runs all the way around to the back right

12th. OB all up the right, long past the machinery yard can find yourself back in play but hit a provo if you go there as rough can be tough. ideal shot is down left of fairway or even so far left to make 13th fairway is not a bad place to be.

13th. another short par 4, lake short right of green though was dried up last time I played and I expect it still is. iron off the tee here, maybe 5 wood, deffo not a driver for big hitters unless you aim left of the green but that brings its own trouble. green is tricky, slopes away from you, need height to approach and get stop. you only want to just make the front edge and it will roll on, maybe right through it, pin easiest if on the right side long.

14th par4 index 1. a beast. doglegs slightly right but aim straight between the bunkers, if you make it that far its a great shot and you will still have a mile to the green. big hitters can take bunker on right side on and hope for a roll out down the hill.

15th. short par 4, again reachable with a great drive if the wind is right. but aim left side all the way down. not to far left, OB up there at the practice area.

16th. probably the easiest par 5 and very reachable in 2. tee shot between bunkers, then hole dogs slightly right again. way left on 17th fairway is not the worst place to be but will mean you will probably have no chance getting there in 2, an 7 or 8 back over the trees to fairway is the play from there. right is just trouble off the tee but is does open up down closer to the green

17th. index 3 but could equally be index 1, just inside the left hand bunker is the line. hole doglegs to the left so long drives down the right can find bunker or even water. a hook out to the 16th fairway is not the worst place to be. approach from middle of the fairway will leave you wondering what you are going to do about the tree. go over it if you can, bunkers short and on right of the tree are well back from green. tree itself is about 30-50 yards short of green, rough left of tree, layup is short right of bunkers

18th similar but longer than 9th. just remember, everyone is watching you so don't go swimming. more of a bail out option here anyway, but all depends on tee and pin location

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Seve OB wrote: »
    well thankfully the calendar is clear and I can make this one!!

home advantage will be of no benefit to me here as my last 2 rounds consisted of 20 points and 25 points :o, my only 2 games on the course in about 4 months, but I might try and sneak a game before the 20th.

i'll do up a bit of a course guide shortly

You're starting to sound like Tiger :D I'll put you down as favourite so! ;) can it be 2 out of 2??

lesson booked for thursday night
    so maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Accepted on Teamer there Benny but early shout for a late as possible tee time for this one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Great advice there from Seve, played this course for first time last March with members, you really need to know where you are going, fantastic course, really looking forward to having another go at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Wont make it to this one lads. Enjoy it, Castleknock is a lovely course & well worth the trip.

Last time I played it, was a work outing. Think I had 37 points & finished third on the day.

I played with the winner who had 49 points that day playing off around 19-20. Was insanity. He also lipped out from 2ft on the last for a 50 point round.

Made an insane number of putts & got up&down from everywhere.

Was a freak round. I still play with the guy from time to time as hes a member now of the same club as I am. He still plays off around 19-20 which is probably about right for his normal scoring

Sorry folks we have been bumped out to first tee at 11:20

First tee is now 11.20am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Just after accepting now, must've missed the email! Really looking forward to this one, have always really liked the course. And always remember the greens as being top class. Fast and true.

Feeling extremely confident heading into this one. Almost as confident as before Esker Hills, where I turned up late and proceeded to score absolute rubbish. I've been playing more and I feel a good performance is close and long overdue. As the game gets better, the tendons start to cry a little, so have to be sensible.

I'm even moving to Castleknock for a couple of weeks for training. Well Ashtown, where I'll be house and dogsitting. So, if your available for a practice round Seve, let me know.

An early tee time for me please Benny, as I should be able to make this one on time from across the road and hopefully make Croker later for the double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

I won't make this one as I'm off to Portrush for a few days. Enjoy everyone, hope to make the August outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Portrush for me too. Great course though, enjoy.

Just after accepting now, must've missed the email! Really looking forward to this one, have always really liked the course. And always remember the greens as being top class. Fast and true.

Feeling extremely confident heading into this one. Almost as confident as before Esker Hills, where I turned up late and proceeded to score absolute rubbish. I've been playing more and I feel a good performance is close and long overdue. As the game gets better, the tendons start to cry a little, so have to be sensible.

I'm even moving to Castleknock for a couple of weeks for training. Well Ashtown, where I'll be house and dogsitting. So, if your available for a practice round Seve, let me know.

An early tee time for me please Benny, as I should be able to make this one on time from across the road and hopefully make Croker later for the double header.

if you fancy 9 holes on the wednesday beforehand maybe we could do that about 5.30ish?

edit:
    i've booked a line at 6pm on Wednesday 17th, 9 hole qualifying comp, of course you don't have to go in comp. anyone else care to join us, that is of course on the assumption it suits Easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I live in Ashtown and try get out for 9 at least once a week on my home course Elmgreen (much easier to get to in Dublin traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Seve OB wrote: »
    if you fancy 9 holes on the wednesday beforehand maybe we could do that about 5.30ish?

edit:
    i've booked a line at 6pm on Wednesday 17th, 9 hole qualifying comp, of course you don't have to go in comp. anyone else care to join us, that is of course on the assumption it suits Easy?

Yeah, that would be great, cheers Seve :)

Yeah, that would be great, cheers Seve :)

anyone else want to join us?
    if not i'm going to change it back to a 2 ball later on

• Advertisement

played the course yesterday and have to say she is in good nic.
    greens might have been a little slower than usual but still pacy.
    areas of high rough are rotten, good chance of loosing balls, so if you go in hit provo's.
    thankfully i broke my duck of 10 .1's in a row and got into the buffer yesterday, 33 points off 13. lesson last week paying off. had 8 3putts though, a bad part of my game again at the moment, needs work so i won't be fancying my chances next Saturday.
    looking forward to 9 holes on Wednesday with Easy

Sorry but have to take my name off for Saturday, family commitment, am very disappointed as I was really looking forward to this one

Hope the day goes well for ye, see y’all in Carlow 🀞

Right Folks I will pop the timesheet up later probably this evening.

Regards

Benny79

Sorry but have to take my name off for Saturday, family commitment, am very disappointed as I was really looking forward to this one

Hope the day goes well for ye, see y’all in Carlow 🀞

Change of plan, will accept again on teamer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Change of plan, will accept again on teamer

Golf is more important than everything!!!!

Time|Player1|Player2|Player3|Player4
    11.20|CharlieIRL|Seve OB|The Big Easy|Princess Poppy
    11.30|newindublin|Asimo1|FixdePitchmark|ThecHamp26
    11.40|ronnoco13|ballyk|Rainbow Warrier|golfnut203
    11.50|OS_Head|Slave1|pakman|timgolfer
    12.00|Golfgraffix|gypsy79|Macker1|Kilth
    12.10|Ballyman|Alanm|jarrieta|Brian Rossiter
    12.20|Benny79|Golfhead65|Break80

Off the Whites in this one

NP 9th & LD 16th

See you all Saturday

Regards

Benny79

For anyone interested the clubs facebook page have being posting flyover videos of the course. here is a link, only up to hole 10 on there so far

https://www.facebook.com/pg/castleknockgolf/videos/?ref=page_internal

hole 6 is missing

hole 8 is right hand side of the video, that's the 17th to the left of it.

I think they might be old videos

benny79 wrote: »
    Time|Player1|Player2|Player3|Player4
    11.20|CharlieIRL|Seve OB|The Big Easy|Princess Poppy
    11.30|newindublin|Asimo1|FixdePitchmark|ThecHamp26
    11.40|ronnoco13|ballyk|Rainbow Warrier|golfnut203
    11.50|OS_Head|Slave1|pakman|timgolfer
    12.00|Golfgraffix|gypsy79|Macker1|Kilth
    12.10|Ballyman|Alanm|jarrieta|Brian Rossiter
    12.20|Benny79|Golfhead65|Break80

Off the Whites in this one

NP 9th & LD 16th

See you all Saturday

Regards

Benny79

Sorry Folks slight change to time sheet the club told me today we have to go out in 4 balls. But i'm assured there is only a few in front of us and our round should be no longer than 4.5 hrs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Sorry Folks slight change to time sheet the club told me today we have to go out in 4 balls. But i'm assured there is only a few in front of us and our round should be no longer than 4.5 hrs..

It’s Castleknock, one of the few courses in ireland that the actual design brief was for quick golf. If we go over 4.5 hours (losing time on the groups ahead) we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Looking forward to it. Always enjoy the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The amount of yapping by the group ahead of me makes me think that no one ever holds this society up!!

Advertisement