Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Proposed for where in Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Most likely easygo as you say, they use these chargers. They are the cheapest DC 50kW units and also quite reliable too.

As it's NI it could also be Instavolt, who install these 50kW points in UK.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Good chance they will be iced. Not a lot of parking spaces.

Only 50kw and those cables don't look long enough.

Only 50kw and those cables don't look long enough.
    They are the same as the ones in easygo kinnegad, and birdhill, seem long enough,

• Advertisement

reaching a charging port on the nearside rear three quarter panel of a car might be challenging for the ones beside the car wash.
    nearside A pillar on a Mach-e won't be easy to get to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ELM327 wrote: »
    Most likely easygo as you say, they use these chargers. They are the cheapest DC 50kW units and also quite reliable too.

As it's NI it could also be Instavolt, who install these 50kW points in UK.

Instvolt would be good, they typically allow card payments on the chargers without needing an app or rfid card AFAIK

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MJohnston wrote: »
    Proposed for where in Derry?

Whitehouse shops on the Letterkenny Road, just off the bottom of the Skeoge bypass.

It's not EasyGo, just checked with them.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It's not EasyGo, just checked with them.
    Prob instavolt so

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Prob instavolt so

It'll be a few years anyway I think. There is a redevelopment proposed for the road from the end of the Strand Road in the city, right out to the border.

Widening the road to dual carriageway, knocking down some older houses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Whitehouse shops on the Letterkenny Road, just off the bottom of the Skeoge bypass.

You mean the Buncrana Road.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

New site proposed for Derry, with 4 rapid chargers.

Just 50kw units it seems, but for probably the most neglected city on the island this is potentially very good news.

No word on supplier but I suspect its probably EasyGo based on the charger.

Brilliant for the NI drivers. Gotta feel for them looking at the ESB map

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Chargers next to shop entrance a disaster, will be ICE'd by the "ah shure" crowd

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

slave1 wrote: »
    Chargers next to shop entrance a disaster, will be ICE'd by the "ah shure" crowd

I think they'll be safe enough. They're right at the back of the unit behind the car washes. You need to pass 2 car parks to get to them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How is everyone doing consumption wise the last few days with the warmer weather?

My last 25/50km average is 102Wh/km or 10.2kWh/100km in old money (mostly rural 60/80km/h driving).

How are the new VW ID's doing these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't pay attention to the consumption figures, but I do know my charger has dispensed half the power this month as it did last month. Admittedly that includes a week off work this month with just two very short trips away from home, but it still leaves it down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just in the US though? I guess everyone just calls them VW anyway

JohnC. wrote: »

Yeah I was wondering if that's an April fools joke as well

Hard to know, seems bonkers but VW has a much worse reputation in the US than in Europe, a lot of people over there still say they'll never buy a VW EV because of Dieselgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

How is everyone doing consumption wise the last few days with the warmer weather?

My last 25/50km average is 102Wh/km or 10.2kWh/100km in old money (mostly rural 60/80km/h driving).

Just back from a rural 50km in my ID.3 and was 12.6kWh/100km. Wasn't hanging around, had a bit of fun. The temperature certainly helps a lot..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

eagerv wrote: »
    Just back from a rural 50km in my ID.3 and was 12.6kWh/100km. Wasn't hanging around, had a bit of fun. The temperature certainly helps a lot..

Cue many people claiming the battery is more efficient now that it's warmer, when really it's just you using less energy on cabin heating :D

liamog wrote: »
    Cue many people claiming the battery is more efficient now that it's warmer, when really it's just you using less energy on cabin heating :D

And no battery heating, that was taking a big chunk out of the ID.3's range over winter

I think they might have improved that now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

liamog wrote: »

I'm certainly not claiming that, was still cool enough here this morning, though didn't need much heat. Was about 9 or 10c, though since has warmed up to about 13c.
    We don't all live in tropical Dublin..:D

In a vague tangential answer to your question, I saw some of Bjorn's livestream going to Artic circle and back in the ID.4. There's a fair amount of country types roads, 80-90km/h speeds, mountains and fairly mediocre weather to deal with

He managed around 19kWh/100km going north and 22kWh/100km on the way back. That's pretty good for a big chunky car IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Wanted to look into this for long time. Torque Pro log Kona 191 trip this afternoon from Omni in Santry to the Park in Carrickmines. Red line shows instantaneous power, green speed and inset blue long/lat position. Overall for the 90km trip 14.7 kWh/100 km. Air is on auto 22°C

attachment.php?attachmentid=548722&stc=1&d=1617132786

Now this is how you do charging parks:

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/30/eneco-efteling-equip-themepark-with-174-chargers/

174 AC chargers for theme park customers. They haven't said what power but probably 7-11kW given the number of chargers

Still plenty of juice for people travelling a few hours to the park, staying for half the day and then the car is topped enough to go home without a charging stop

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Only own it a day, and economy isn't on my mind for now. Drove about 15km yesterday, used about 70km of range. It was fun driving.

Only own it a day, and economy isn't on my mind for now. Drove about 15km yesterday, used about 70km of range. It was fun driving.

Yeah, I'd say you'd need to let the honeymoon period of ownership end before you can start getting some accurate real world consumption figures....

55 weeks in and the honeymoon period of going EV still hasn't ended :D

• Advertisement

Now this is how you do charging parks:

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/30/eneco-efteling-equip-themepark-with-174-chargers/

174 AC chargers for theme park customers. They haven't said what power but probably 7-11kW given the number of chargers

Still plenty of juice for people travelling a few hours to the park, staying for half the day and then the car is topped enough to go home without a charging stop

Brilliant.
    They already have extensive charging facilities onsite.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/27485
    548758.png

Something like this would be great in Tayto Park... Would really encourage folk to go (when the 'blip' is over!!) from afar. It's a place where you'd spend at least 3-4 hours at a time. 7-11kW would be more than enough, and you reserve the spots when booking your park tickets, paying a nominal fee of say €5 to get unlimited use of the charger while you're at the park (the €5 is also justified, as you get a prime spot right next to the entrance).
    Start off by installing 10/20 units, and if they are regularly busy, install another 10 and so on....

Advertisement