Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

MJohnston wrote: »
    The bit about new EVs being on average 20k more than ICE cars

Kona, Clio/zoe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Kona, Clio/zoe

Only €10k difference in either of those two, and that’s doing a basic comparison of cheapest models - the entry level Zoe is going to be a much better car than the entry level Clio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Will it pull a trailer?

Jesus move the goalposts much?

I asked if you thought an ID4 would be cheaper to run than a Tiguan (both are of a similar size and price) and now you want to know if it will pull a trailer?

Honest answer - the ID4 will be cheaper to run than the Tiguan.

Only €10k difference in either of those two, and that’s doing a basic comparison of cheapest models - the entry level Zoe is going to be a much better car than the entry level Clio

Woman up the road has a Zoe, ugly thing, second car, does nothing but plugged in everytime I pass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Woman up the road has a Zoe, ugly thing, second car, does nothing but plugged in everytime I pass

You’re some craic. Anyway, yes the ID4 can pull a trailer:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/09/07/vw-id4-towing-capacity-utility-performance-video/amp/

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus move the goalposts much?

I asked if you thought an ID4 would be cheaper to run than a Tiguan (both are of a similar size and price) and now you want to know if it will pull a trailer?

Honest answer - the ID4 will be cheaper to run than the Tiguan.

It's not going to age well and will be pretty much worthless by the time it's paid for, tech isn't there yet and I'm doubtful it ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Jizique wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the move to solid state, if what quantumscape say works, is not small or incremental and all cars will use solid state thereafter.
    Makes one wonder about all the money being poured into the current technologies, VW with their 240GW factories.

Interesting report into QS this week, a comprehensive 200 pager, questioning their tech and claims; I feel the QS claims are somewhat outlandish, and if a breakthrough on solid state comes, it will emerge from someone like Toyota which is active in this area rather than a company which has spent a mere $16m on R&D in the last two years

Downhill, like Nikola (joke by the way); anyway, pretty clear at this stage that Nikola was a pump and dump scam, plenty of others out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pretty clear that EV owners are basically religious fundamentalists and I'm the heretic ,

We're a 2 car family. One EV and one large very expensive coupe diesel. EV is the first one we've ever had.
    The diesel is a 3 litre twin turbo with a 0 - 100 time around 6 seconds. I drove it for a fortnight before the EV arrived. 0 - 100 in 3.3 seconds and almost 480 Kms to a single charge (realistically probably 400 if I'm honest).
    The EV is much nicer to drive. It's whisper quiet and the instant power to overtake is tremendous.

Whether you like it or not this is the way all vehicles are going.

mfceiling wrote: »
    We're a 2 car family. One EV and one large very expensive coupe diesel. EV is the first one we've ever had.
    The diesel is a 3 litre twin turbo with a 0 - 100 time around 6 seconds. I drove it for a fortnight before the EV arrived. 0 - 100 in 3.3 seconds and almost 480 Kms to a single charge (realistically probably 400 if I'm honest).
    The EV is much nicer to drive. It's whisper quiet and the instant power to overtake is tremendous.

Whether you like it or not this is the way all vehicles are going.

The bigger issue that govts and perhaps companies need to address is car usage; as families have got smaller, car size has increased. Congestion, parking, use of space - all need to be addressed and EV acceleration of what you mention is not going to encourage parents to send their kids to school by bicycle in city/urban areas even as the weather improves.
    Subsidies would be better spent on electric bikes and electric scooters than €50k cars, which are only relevant for a small sub segment of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's not going to age well and will be pretty much worthless by the time it's paid for, tech isn't there yet and I'm doubtful it ever will

EV tech? Have you got your head buried in the sand or something. Look around, their everywhere.

EV tech? Have you got your head buried in the sand or something. Look around, their everywhere.

Upcoming recession will send it the way of the Betamax, ESB is a pension fund ,won't be able to charge them if we reach 15-20% of carpool, hybrids are everywhere not EVs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bulbs, shocks, wheel bearings, bushings, pollen filter,steering parts, you are saving on a few litres of oil and fuel and oil filters but little else, you'll also have standard battery and ancillaries, AC,PAS, add in extra tyre wear and actual ownership costs will be very similar to ICE,

Where are you getting this from? With over 4 years of Leaf ownership and 69,000kms still on (3.5mm due to be changed soon) original rear tyres.
    I changed pollen filter myself twice.
    That’s it.
    Annual main dealer service less than €80.

How does that real world example compare to being similar to ICE.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? With over 4 years of Leaf ownership and 69,000kms still on (3.5mm due to be changed soon) original rear tyres.
    I changed pollen filter myself twice.
    That’s it.
    Annual main dealer service less than €80.

How does that real world example compare to being similar to ICE.

Don't feed the trolls

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Don't feed the trolls

My guess is that ‘someone’ got absolutely rinsed at a set of lights by a Leaf or an ID.3 or something, and has come to dismiss EV’s as simply being a fad, that will be over soon enough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My guess is that ‘someone’ got absolutely rinsed at a set of lights by a Leaf or an ID.3

Nah, with that level of hate it must have been a Zoe that toasted him off the line.

Don't feed the trolls

Oh, I 100% know the trolling that was going on, however don't want others to see these posts and think they are correct, no harm in real real world experience.
    I forgot I just replaced the rear wiper too, fek, could be a tipping point for some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There should be a standard questionnaire for trolls when they use the price argument...

Where can I get a new diesel or petrol car that has:

204bhp with instant torque

the ability to refuel at home while I sleep for a low cost, or free when the sun shines during the day

a cost of around €0.01 per kilometre to drive

semi autonomous driving

matrix LED headlights

automatic transmission

adaptive cruise control

seat and steering heating

electric seats with massage function

HUD with augmented reality

keyless entry and start

€120 annual road tax

cheap toll road use

low service cost

... all for under €41k? (cost of my current 211 car)

That's all before we get into the silky smooth, vibration and noise free drive.

*** loads of little things left out, like wireless phone charging etc.

I asked a similar question of the "diesel 'till I die" trolls before and it all went very quiet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What EV have you got that has the HUD? Really wanted that but it wasn't worth the extra going up to the ID4 max for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What EV have you got that has the HUD? Really wanted that but it wasn't worth the extra going up to the ID4 max for me.

ID.3 Tour. I think it's available on the Tech and Max models too.

• Advertisement

The issues with TeslaBjørn's Millenium Falcon frighten me. It is no exaggeration to say I'd prefer an Opel Insignia of similar vintage and they are famous for their unreliability. Zöe or Leaf of similar age don't frighten me half as much. I don't expect a Model 3 SR to give anywhere near the same trouble when they push on in years.

Huh? That's an exception mileage very early Model S, what issues has he had since he got it back?
    Given it's mileage it's doing very well, don't forget he is not paying a cent for any repair or cosmetic work so he is going full whack on anything elective. As he has said himself, he would not be paying for lots of the recent work done, he's being extreme about it.
    350,000kms!!!

His Artic circle trip this weekend didn't go well between drivetrain issues and suspension issues.

I don't watch his Live Vids, I'll wait and see the edited version on the main channel.
    Very interested in these videos as it's older than mine so good to see how it holds up.

slave1 wrote: »
    I don't watch his Live Vids, I'll wait and see the edited version on the main channel.
    Very interested in these videos as it's older than mine so good to see how it holds up.

To be fair, Bjorn's Model S is probably a bit of an edge case, not just having high mileage but also being subjected to Norwegian road conditions. Lots of lovely snow, ice and grit to wreck the car in winter

To be fair, Bjorn's Model S is probably a bit of an edge case, not just having high mileage but also being subjected to Norwegian road conditions. Lots of lovely snow, ice and grit to wreck the car in winter
    If I wanted a Tesla I'd somehow find the money to buy a new lower spec one than an older one.

Random thought: search function finds no reference to EQA in this sub-forum.
    I was charging beside one yesterday; nice but a bit bland.
    It was getting 97KW charging speed while I was getting 82kw.
    Maybe the battery pack was warmer but the charging curve on them looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bob Flavins update on the MG. I'd guess he hasn't done much research on charging curves because he seems to think he should be getting high charge speed even though he's starting a charge at over 50% battery capacity.

Am I right in thinking he's wrong here?

TitianGerm wrote: »

Bob Flavins update on the MG. I'd guess he hasn't done much research on charging curves because he seems to think he should be getting high charge speed even though he's starting a charge at over 50% battery capacity.

Am I right in thinking he's wrong here?

I seem to remember the ZS needed a software update to unlock the full charging speed, not sure what the issue was exactly. I think Bob did say something about this in the previous episode

But yes, I think some EVs will throttle their charging quite a bit if the starting SoC is high. For example, I think the ID.4 can normally handle 100+kW at 30%, but you you plug it in with 30% SoC you'll get under 100kW

I assume it's mostly just manufacturers being super conservative with the charging curve until they get an idea of battery degredation. Hopefully they'll up the speed with a software update later

• Advertisement

Unless it’s an eTron or Tycan any EV will “punish” charging speeds at high SOC, public charging is to get you home not to charge to full

Advertisement