Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Unless it’s an eTron or Tycan any EV will “punish” charging speeds at high SOC, public charging is to get you home not to charge to full

Yeah I just wish car manufacturers would spell this out a bit more. For example they always quote the peak charging speed but tend to be more ambiguous around the average charging speed and what's the start/end conditions are

10% to 80% seems to be the norm but not everyone goes by this

Fastned are great the way they'll provide the charging curves for every car they test. I've also noticed Inside EVs have started doing tables with the starting and ending SoC and how long it'll take

It'd be nice if the cars would just display the projected charging curve on the infortainmemt screen. It's got all the information so it's really just down to automakers trying to keep the charging curve a secret

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went out for a walk this evening and I saw 5 model 3's, 2 model S, 2 ID3's, Golf E and a couple of various Hyundai models.

Is it because after buying electric you notice more electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I got a good look at the vw id4 the other day and it was the blue one id4 1st grey seats with brown leather arm rests etc,I thought it was basic enough for vw to be honest and a good size boot alright.
    I was disappointed because I think they are very expensive I just think not enough public charging points at all,will it be another couple of years before that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

mfceiling wrote: »
    Went out for a walk this evening and I saw 5 model 3's, 2 model S, 2 ID3's, Golf E and a couple of various Hyundai models.

Nope

Lots of 'leccy cars in and around Dubland at this stage

And a Heap of them are Model 3s

Good year to be in Tesla sales :)

Fair few MS but generally not 20X or 21X reg

mfceiling wrote: »

Yes I would imagine so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Saw an ID.4 taxi near Killiney on Friday there. Always a good sign when the taxis feel confident in using an EV.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Saw an ID.4 taxi near Killiney on Friday there. Always a good sign when the taxis feel confident in using an EV.

Whats the nett cost of one of those as a taxi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭hold my beer

More than likely a sole trader so they'd get the grant as far as I know

More than likely a sole trader so they'd get the grant as far as I know

Special incentives for taxi use ? ? 10k ? +VRT relief ?

0lddog wrote: »
    Nope

Lots of 'leccy cars in and around Dubland at this stage

And a Heap of them are Model 3s

Good year to be in Tesla sales :)

Yeah I'm starting to think those Tesla's are reproducing or something, I'm seeing them everywhere now

I do feel like I notice EVs more since buying a Leaf, ICE cars are boring now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Special incentives for taxi use ? ? 10k ? +VRT relief ?

Didn't realise there's a special grant for taxis

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla have paused production of MS since end of last year so won’t see a 21 reg, next ones will be 22X

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

What happens if an electric vehicle owner gets low on charge and goes to nearest charging station to find it out of use or broken and nearest charge point from them is 50klm and only 30klm left in battery ,genuine question.
    Like this must happen to some people at some stage as you could be in a remote area with little charge points,is there any such thing as calling for back up.

These ev cars are getting somewhat popular now, I have so many questions like I suppose a lot of people do ,obviously I would know to have battery full before I go to remote areas but how about all the sight seeing I need to do

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

forestgirl wrote: »
    What happens if an electric vehicle owner gets low on charge and goes to nearest charging station to find it out of use or broken and nearest charge point from them is 50klm and only 30klm left in battery ,genuine question.
    Like this must happen to some people at some stage as you could be in a remote area with little charge points,is there any such thing as calling for back up.

There is usually some kind of recovery service that comes with a new car, the AA for instance have a mobile charging service, either that or you can be towed/carried to the nearest charging point.

These ev cars are getting somewhat popular now, I have so many questions like I suppose a lot of people do ,obviously I would know to have battery full before I go to remote areas but how about all the sight seeing I need to do

Same thing that happens in an ICE car if you run out of fuel, you call a tow truck :)

I get the paranoia when you're coming over from an ICE car and I've felt the same when I got my Leaf. My best advice would be to plan ahead for road trips to see where you'll need to charge.

If you're going into an area that doesn't have many chargers, or you're unsure if they'll be available, then it might be prudent to charge when you have the opportunity rather than wait until you need to charge

While this sounds like hassle, in some ways EVs can be less of a hassle than an ICE car. For example if you're heading to a holiday home, you can plug the car into a 3 pin socket overnight (with the owners permission) and let it charge.

It isn't quick, but 12 hours charging should give about 100km of range for most EVs, enough for a decent days sightseeing. In theory you could go the whole holiday without taking any more time for a charging stop than you would with and ICE car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's very few places in Ireland that you would be 50km from a charger.

It's the same as an ICE car. You call a tow truck!
    But it doesnt happen, as you leave your house with a full "tank" every day!

I would argue that the situation with an EV running out of battery is much better than a car running out of petrol. Because in most locations you can take care of it yourself. All you need is a regular old house wall socket and your granny charger cable (in most EVs these can be permanently stowed in the frunk) and some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've done over 100k EV km and never ran out. I ran out of diesel once. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

You should have a look at the eCars map (https://esb.ie/ecars/DrivezMap.html) or the Plugshare map (https://www.plugshare.com/) with the filter for CCS and Type 2 charge points turned on. The 22kW chargers aren't great but in an emergency, they're better than nothing. There are only a few places in Ireland that are genuinely far from a charger of some kind. Remote, coastal towns are quite well covered, it's the roads between them and the major towns that you need to worry about.

The first long-ish drive I took after I bought my EV was an unmitigated disaster. I arrived late at a work meeting so I didn't have time to park at an SCP which was a few minutes walk away. Then the meeting ran late so I was in a rush leaving for home. I misread the map and drove in the cold, wind and rain away from the nearest fast charger. When I realised I wouldn't make it, I found a nearby SCP and sat there for two hours (luckily I have a 16.5kW AC charger) which gave me enough to get to Ionity Athlone. My bad luck continued because that didn't work at all. Luckily I had borrowed a Chademo adaptor and used that at a nearby Circle K charger (which had a broken CCS head so Chademo was my only option). It took six hours to get home when I should have taken two. The moral of the story: leave home on time (even if it means leaving your kids behind) and read the map properly!

I think it might be literally impossible at the moment to be 50km from a charger in Ireland? Furthest I could find is up in Connemara where you could be about 20-30km away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

because you have to think about it more, you think about it more, anyone who has planned out a long trip (as this is the only time itll be a factor) will have already made provisions for charging either en route or at the destination.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think it might be literally impossible at the moment to be 50km from a charger in Ireland? Furthest I could find is up in Connemara where you could be about 20-30km away.

It's not really are you more than 50km away for me, it's am I more than 50km away from a hub where I am pretty much guaranteed a charge.
    You cannot rely on a charger that could be occupied/broken/ICED or queued.

In Ireland at the moment we only have the Tesla and Ionity hubs to truly rely on.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    It's not really are you more than 50km away for me, it's am I more than 50km away from a hub where I am pretty much guaranteed a charge.
    You cannot rely on a charger that could be occupied/broken/ICED or queued.

In Ireland at the moment we only have the Tesla and Ionity hubs to truly rely on.

Eh, I'd disagree somewhat. I think the apps negate a lot of these concerns, apart from ICE-ing (which isn't as widespread as its made out to be), because you can usually tell when a charger is broken, and you can see when it's occupied, how long for, and give a guess as to when it might be available again.

And since pricing was introduced, it's rare that you have to wait more than 45 minutes for an occupied charger to become available.

As I've said before, the charging network "depth" (ie. number of chargers at each location) will obviously have to increase as the number of EV owners increases, but I think in Ireland we have the charging network "coverage" pretty much nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I would amend this to read

And since pricing was introduced, it's rare that you have to wait more than 45 minutes for an occupied "50kW" charger to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's very few places in Ireland that you would be 50km from a charger.
    I think it might be literally impossible at the moment to be 50km from a charger in Ireland?

I'm never far from a charger as I always take one with me :pac:.

An electrical outlet, AC charge point or DC charger, yes.
    We've had 2 BEVs now & a PHEV. We're waaaaaay down on what our usual mileage would be, due to the virus, but have still covered close to 90,000km electric kilometres in 2 years.

It just takes a little forethought, but as newer BEVs ubiquitously have bigger batteries/more range & our charging infrastructure (slowly :rolleyes:) improves, "running out" shouldn't ever happen.

cannco253 wrote: »
    I would amend this to read

And since pricing was introduced, it's rare that you have to wait more than 45 minutes for an occupied "50kW" charger to become available.

Dunno, I don't see much hogging with the 22kW chargers anymore myself either tbh, but it's not like my usage over the last year has been significant.

Kramer wrote: »
    I'm never far from a charger as I always take one with me :pac:.

The biggest hurdle that EV adoption will need to overcome is terminology snobs :rolleyes:

The biggest hurdle that EV adoption will need to overcome is terminology snobs :rolleyes:

:D.

Is it OK for Toyota to advertise their cars as "self charging electric hybrids"? It's correct & sure it's only terminology too :p.

Oh, I've probably put more people in EVs over the last 2 years than many main dealers. I'm an early adopter & have educated many & promoted EVs at every opportunity, at charge points, in car parks & socially etc.

The biggest hurdle to EV adoption here is government.

• Advertisement

I'm just saying, drop the terminology snobbery, it's really boring and basically nobody but you cares! ;)

Why do you think the government are a hurdle to EV adoption? I despise FFG, but even I would find it hard to blame them for that. Even now, I think the real biggest hurdle is that there isn't a good second-hard market of practical EVs (and a lot of suspicion about the longevity of second-hand EVs)

Advertisement