Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sweet Jesus, so they'll charge 30.5c for what could be a 28kW Fast charge where you end up staying way longer than planned because someone else hooked up (no disrespect to them), the mind boggles

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, so they'll charge 30.5c for what could be a 28kW Fast charge where you end up staying way longer than planned because someone else hooked up (no disrespect to them), the mind boggles

Yeah they really could do with extending the overstay fee to 90 mins for the DC plug, since your speed might get nerfed by the AC

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

ecars 2021.

Still though, they are handy units, and they should be replacing almost all the AC22's they just installed....

I quite like those units, makes better use of grid connection than a 2x22kW AC charger. I'd prefer if there was a double socket AC beside the unit with 2x 11kW sockets and they made the DC unit a little cheaper than the normal DC rate with a longer overstay

That's let 3 cars charge, 2 on AC for long stays and another on DC for shorter stays at a higher price

EDIT: Forgot to say, remove the AC socket on the DC unit as well

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ecars 2021.

Still though, they are handy units, and they should be replacing almost all the AC22's they just installed....

They're replacing 50 of them last I heard. There are ~27 installed (there's 27 of those units installed, but I think 2-3 of those are at "hubs" rather than replacement AC units).
    I quite like those units, makes better use of grid connection than a 2x22kW AC charger. I'd prefer if there was a double socket AC beside the unit with 2x 11kW sockets and they made the DC unit a little cheaper than the normal DC rate with a longer overstay

That's let 3 cars charge, 2 on AC for long stays and another on DC for shorter stays at a higher price

EDIT: Forgot to say, remove the AC socket on the DC unit as well

For sure. My concern with these units is they've traditionally been used as long term charging units, so you might have Joe Soap charing there everyday. No problem for him with these units as they still have a 22kW AC slow charging port on them, but if he's parked up in 1 of the spaces for hours on end, that's potentially blocking some cars from reaching the DC plug (depending on which side of the car they charge on and which bay is in use).

End of the day, ECars just want the optics and low costs, and the optics say "we're adding more DC units every week". Installing 2 units and load balancing across them = $$$ (2 units, cost to introduce load balancing, cost of marking/reserving additional bays from county/city councils).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Just picking this up from the forum sticky

AC->DC upgrade:
    Public Car Park, Vicar Street, Tuam, Galway
    50kW DC (DC sockets are not load balanced) and 22kW AC which is load balanced against DC

Does that mean that if I am DC charging and someone connects AC that my DC charge will drop e.g. a Zoe hooks up and my DC charge drops by 22kW?
    On the triple Qface the load balancing is static 50:50. It would be interesting to know if this one is dynamic. Otherwise a PHEV charging @3kW would drop DC charging to 25 kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just picking this up from the forum sticky

AC->DC upgrade:
    Public Car Park, Vicar Street, Tuam, Galway
    50kW DC (DC sockets are not load balanced) and 22kW AC which is load balanced against DC

Does that mean that if I am DC charging and someone connects AC that my DC charge will drop e.g. a Zoe hooks up and my DC charge drops by 22kW?
    POssibly it means that the zoe which may be able to take 43kW only gets 25kW and you only get 25kW.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    POssibly it means that the zoe which may be able to take 43kW only gets 25kW and you only get 25kW.

It's limited to 22kW on the AC, so even a 43kW Zoe will be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats what I was saying. The zoe could take more, he could take more, both are restricted.
    Ecars 2021 people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats what I was saying. The zoe could take more, he could take more, both are restricted.
    Ecars 2021 people.

The Zoe isn't restricted due to load balancing, it's just plugged into a 22kW charger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

innrain wrote: »
    On the triple Qface the load balancing is static 50:50. It would be interesting to know if this one is dynamic. Otherwise a PHEV charging @3kW would drop DC charging to 25 kW

I know back in the day that PHEVs were a legitimate PIA at fast chargers, but since charging has come in has anyone encountered any as a 50kW charger?

Actually in fairness I did come across a 530e at the 150kW in Athlone last week (using the AC plug). Although I think his was jsut showing how it worked to a colleague/friend. In the end it did not work as both chargers (there is a 50kW beside it) refused to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I know back in the day that PHEVs were a legitimate PIA at fast chargers, but since charging has come in has anyone encountered any as a 50kW charger?

Actually in fairness I did come across a 530e at the 150kW in Athlone last week (using the AC plug). Although I think his was jsut showing how it worked to a colleague/friend. In the end it did not work as both chargers (there is a 50kW beside it) refused to start.
    The AC on this one is not classed rapid. You bring your own cable and there is no overstay.
    I did see a Merc at J14 last summer though

The AC on this one is not classed rapid. You bring your own cable and there is no overstay.
    I did see a Merc at J14 last summer though

sorry , I was not clear. Yes, I fully understand that the AC on a 150kW is not a DC> I was asking more about the situation where 2 or 3 years ago you would pull of to one of the tripple heads and someone in an outlander was sucking off the Chadamo as a gaggle of leafs, ioniq's etc f(*ked and blinded....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What size generally are PHEV batteries? Less than 10kWh??

I know charging for DC has largely helped with these units being PHeV’d up for hours on end....

And I know the ESB units have a 45 minute time limit..... but how about a low/minimum usage penalty to discourage PHEV use? Or a minimum transaction value of €3-4 (~10kWh)

So basically, if you take less than 10kWh (or whatever the average PHEV battery is), you still pay for a minimum of 10kWh.

Discourages PHEV’s from using DC chargers, and nudges them towards AC units instead....

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm just curious, which part of the future being "Made in China" is the sad face for?

Personally, I'd be unhappy with this because of the Chinese state's genocidal and totalitarian nature, but is that the case for you too?
    Both, plus the fact that their State supported industries are destroying the Western competition. Added to the greed of said western companies.
    Be thankful for small mercies. China is for the most part following a policy of Mercantilism which distracts them from oppression and imperialism. Things could be much worse than they are. It might not be much consolation for those who are in their bad books but it could really be much worse.
    Their belt & road initiative is as imperialistic as the British Empire was in the 18th century, he who controls the trade routes, controls the trade and the nations who use those trade routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

What size generally are PHEV batteries? Less than 10kWh??

I know charging for DC has largely helped with these units being PHeV’d up for hours on end....

And I know the ESB units have a 45 minute time limit..... but how about a low/minimum usage penalty to discourage PHEV use? Or a minimum transaction value of €3-4 (~10kWh)

So basically, if you take less than 10kWh (or whatever the average PHEV battery is), you still pay for a minimum of 10kWh.

Discourages PHEV’s from using DC chargers, and nudges them towards AC units instead....

For a rapid charging phev the battery ranges from 12 to 32 kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Ah heyor! It's happening already though. Can barely get on AC in Dublin now with them being used as priority parking for PHEVs.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I asked ecars Anna this when they introduced load balancing software update to these. She said AC takes what it can take, and the DC gets the balance of the 50kW.

sorry , I was not clear. Yes, I fully understand that the AC on a 150kW is not a DC> I was asking more about the situation where 2 or 3 years ago you would pull of to one of the tripple heads and someone in an outlander was sucking off the Chadamo as a gaggle of leafs, ioniq's etc f(*ked and blinded....

It was the gaggle of leafs, ioniqs at a charger that persuaded me to go with a phev in the first instant, there is no guarantee that a charger will be working or available if I rocked up to one.

Another one was needing a charge at the worst possible time, and no time to spare.

I go about my business, no planning no route selection only the fastest and if I happen to be waiting, then I go to plug share or ecars and see whats around.

As it is now with the number of EV's, I think an ev going beyond its range will at some stage have the owners circling and squawking about the lack of chargers:D:D:D:D

I regularly see PHEVs plugged into DC chargers. To be fair a lot of the time it's an Outlander which can actually rapid charge, but I see a fair few BMW and Merc PHEVs pulling 3kW of the most expensive AC electricity in Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Meh, Outlander can charge max 22kW, not sure I’d call this a rapid charge, Zoe’s/Tesla model S’s can get that off AC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Indeed, hardly rapid, but if a zoe and a tesla are grabbing the full 22kW's, you can come along and wait on them.

Meh, Outlander can charge max 22kW, not sure I’d call this a rapid charge, Zoe’s/Tesla model S’s can get that off AC

Rapid for a PHEV, where 3kW seems to be the average :(

kanuseeme wrote:
    As it is now with the number of EV's, I think an ev going beyond its range will at some stage have the owners circling and squawking about the lack of chargers

I'm just surprised that PHEVs are still using 50kW+ chargers. The 530e I saw in Athlone was the first I've seen since costs came in. Plus that does not count, as it was using the AC socket.
    Re availability, as always the EV buyer needs to do their homework and know what their routes are like for chargers. For example, there are ~ 20 48kW+ DC CCS chargers between galway and Dublin. I'd have to be very unfortunate or stupid to have any problems on that route. (Which is my main long journey).
    So in our house the EV still does most of the longer trips and the PHEV does mostly more local (<50km) trips, or historically trips when coverage was poorer, eg North of sligo, connemara, the the still noticeably bald space between Limerick and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://thedriven.io/2021/04/23/plug-in-electric-vehicles-now-dominate-fleet-purchases-in-europe/

"over 553,000 new electric passenger cars were registered by companies in 2020. This was 54% of all new electric passenger car registrations in the selected European markets. The remaining 46% were made by private individuals...the majority of new electric company cars were registered in Germany (over 140,000 registrations), followed by the United Kingdom (over 100,000), and France (55,000)....

In the United Kingdom, almost 4 out of 10 newly registered electric company cars were PHEVs, basically identical to the 38% PHEV share of the country’s 2020 total new electric passenger car registrations...in Germany 64% of new electric passenger cars registered in company fleets were PHEVs in 2020."

Any idea what the stats for Ireland would be?

cannco253 wrote: »
    https://thedriven.io/2021/04/23/plug-in-electric-vehicles-now-dominate-fleet-purchases-in-europe/

"over 553,000 new electric passenger cars were registered by companies in 2020. This was 54% of all new electric passenger car registrations in the selected European markets. The remaining 46% were made by private individuals...the majority of new electric company cars were registered in Germany (over 140,000 registrations), followed by the United Kingdom (over 100,000), and France (55,000)....

In the United Kingdom, almost 4 out of 10 newly registered electric company cars were PHEVs, basically identical to the 38% PHEV share of the country’s 2020 total new electric passenger car registrations...in Germany 64% of new electric passenger cars registered in company fleets were PHEVs in 2020."

Any idea what the stats for Ireland would be?

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

you can select any variable and filter on the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭obi604

Panning a trip tomorrow out around Moycullen, Ma’am cross and Oughterard.

From ESB map, it’s seems there are no chargers in this general direction.

Any one know offhand of any not listed on Ecars map?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

obi604 wrote: »

Nothing out that direction apart from some hotels closer to clifden. If you come back in by headford Joyce’s have a 50kW on plugshare

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Renvyle house hotel have 2 Tesla destination chargers, 1 is Tesla only, and the other is any type 2 car.... however would the hotel even be open, and if yes/ no, would the chargers be still turned on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I’m fairly sure this area is the biggest black hole of charging points in all of Ireland.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    I’m fairly sure this area is the biggest black hole of charging points in all of Ireland.

Since the NI network spends most of its time broken does that count as the biggest black hole?

Advertisement