Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭obi604

cannco253 wrote: »
    Nothing out that direction apart from some hotels closer to clifden. If you come back in by headford Joyce’s have a 50kW on plugshare

Any secret Lidl around there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Galway and Mayo are poor especially the further west you go.

Head out towards Achill from Westport and you're on your own as well.....Ballycroy park has a charger but you need the fob from the office which is probably closed at the moment. Other than that its the restaurant on Achill or Belmullet....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭obi604

Galway and Mayo are poor especially the further west you go.

Head out towards Achill from Westport and you're on your own as well.....Ballycroy park has a charger but you need the fob from the office which is probably closed at the moment. Other than that its the restaurant on Achill or Belmullet....

Tis fairly slack alright. Like me, I guess lots of people would like to head out there for the day etc and hard to do with lack of charging. May just have to bring the bloody diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Getting the itch again...

Any good finance options on EVs these days? Had to spend a few quid last year fixing the reverse camera on the i3, and about to shell out a load more to fix a window motor.

Every time I have to cough up money, I feel the urge to buy something with a 7 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Getting the itch again...

Any good finance options on EVs these days? Had to spend a few quid last year fixing the reverse camera on the i3, and about to shell out a load more to fix a window motor.

Every time I have to cough up money, I feel the urge to buy something with a 7 year warranty.

ID3 available at 0.9% and Leaf at 0% as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

https://twitter.com/auto_schmidt/status/1385635839775019010?s=19

Interesting to see just how quickly VW Group have ramped up in Western Europe

TitianGerm wrote: »
    ID3 available at 0.9% and Leaf at 0% as far as I know.

Wouldn't touch the Leaf but the ID3 could be of interest provided they've ironed out the software bugs in advance.

Their website is a pain in the hole, on mobile anyway. Took me ages to find out what model had the bigger battery.

Hold up, the VW only has a 3 year warranty??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If you’re going for financing, why care about any warranty longer than 3 years?

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you’re going for financing, why care about any warranty longer than 3 years?

In case I want to keep it at the end.

Ps I've never financed a car before and it probably shows.

If you want to keep it after 3 years, don’t get into financing in the first place - seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭hold my beer

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you want to keep it after 3 years, don’t get into financing in the first place - seriously!

Why? There's very low interest rates at the minute so not sure you're sentence can be applied to everyone.

I've done a PCP before for 3 years, then financed the balloon payment over another 3 years. Made sense for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

If you intended to keep the car would it not be better to go HP from the start?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

80sDiesel wrote: »
    If you intended to keep the car would it not be better to go HP from the start?

You'd have to do the math to compare the specific deals.
    If your offered 4% interest on a HP or 0% interest on a PCP, then it could work out better to do PCP and then refinance the GMFC at the end of the PCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/innovate-uks-netx-project-announces-results-from-new-charging-survey/

“NetX is a three-socket charger that can extend an existing single charge point, enabling you to share the capacity of a standard 7kW fast charger with up to three vehicles.”

Fast ??

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/innovate-uks-netx-project-announces-results-from-new-charging-survey/

“NetX is a three-socket charger that can extend an existing single charge point, enabling you to share the capacity of a standard 7kW fast charger with up to three vehicles.”

Fast ??

7kW is fast in the UK. DC charging is "rapid"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Petrol station forecourts will be fitting chargers on most sites when EVs hit around 8-10%, you'll be paying €10-20 for your half hour, as the technology evolves and charging gets quicker the time will fall and you'll pay by the minute, Service stations employ thousands of people and these jobs will be protected,

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Petrol station forecourts will be fitting chargers on most sites when EVs hit around 8-10%, you'll be paying €10-20 for your half hour, as the technology evolves and charging gets quicker the time will fall and you'll pay by the minute, Service stations employ thousands of people and these jobs will be protected,

What do petrol stations make on fuel? Vs what do petrol stations make on teas and coffees etc bought while charging? Granted how many ice cars can you service in 30 minutes at 8 pumps and what turnover of those buy tea/coffee, vs how many EVs can you service in 30 minutes at 8 stations(or cables, whatever) and what turnover of those buy a tea/coffee. I certainly never bought service station tea/coffee before driving an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Petrol stations make feck all on petrol and diesel. The margins are very, very small, but the volume sold helps. It's the sales in the shop where the real money is made.

Petrol stations make feck all on petrol and diesel. The margins are very, very small, but the volume sold helps. It's the sales in the shop where the real money is made.

Because of the charging time a €10-20 fee would be feasible, probably drop a few picnic benches outside,it's 20years since I worked in a petrol station and around 3pence a litre was the markup, diesel used to be a bit better 5 or 6, saying that we were shifting 50,000litres a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

probably drop a few picnic benches outside

Well, it depends where exactly, right? Not mentioning any Waterford forecourt in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

JohnC. wrote: »
    Well, it depends where exactly, right? Not mentioning any Waterford forecourt in particular.

I'm sure he was just trying to be helpful :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I've never been to Waterford,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've never been to Waterford,

221560.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^^ still showing as online on the eCars app.....

Time for one our Deise based members to go on a scouting mission...

221560.jpg

Oh

Petrol station forecourts will be fitting chargers on most sites when EVs hit around 8-10%

Every EV owner wishes they would do this, but unfortunately the filling station companies seem entirely uninterested in doing this. If they were going to do this, they wouldn’t be letting ESB, Tesla, and IONITY take all their prime spots (which is what’s happening).

They’re not run by stupid people, they know there’s a business model there (as mentioned, they’re making nothing from fuel sales) but they haven't seized the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Also forgetting a key point here.... Esb infrastructure. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think many filling stations are simply not able to slap down dc charge points due to esb infra especially if looking to drop multiple 150kw units with secondly space would also be an issue for parking said cars at those multiple dc points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

If filling stations don't do anything, they will decrease as time moves on. If we have more destination ac
    Charge points, do we need the amount of filling stations we have today? I think not, just ones on main travel routes would remain in the end....

But that's a long way off, 2040 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Laviski wrote: »
    Also forgetting a key point here.... Esb infrastructure. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think many filling stations are simply not able to slap down dc charge points due to esb infra especially if looking to drop multiple 150kw units with secondly space would also be an issue for parking said cars at those multiple dc points.

There was an interview a while back with some petrol station representative group which basically said all of this, they want to install chargers but are having trouble with ESB Networks installing the infrastructure

I'd say the issue is around cost, I'm not sure what a 2MW grid connection costs but I assume it isn't cheap, especially when a service station has to stump up all of the cash for grid upgrades to their site. I'm guessing the capital outlay just didn't make sense at the moment and ESB probably weren't budging on prices so they're in limbo for now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

^^^ still showing as online on the eCars app.....

Time for one our Deise based members to go on a scouting mission...

It hasn't gone anywhere and the bench isn't there. He just has a few moments now and then...

Advertisement