Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

markpb wrote: »
    I've done it several times when I'm by myself. 4-5 hours would be my limit, I don't feel the need to stop if it's any shorter than that. I'd never do it with kids in the car though.

I'm not saying I'm not a psychopath :D

Super bladder!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

JPA wrote: »
    Super bladder!

Yet another example of me feeling like I'm adulting wrong, am I the only person who can go 5/6 hours without needing to go the bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yeah I saw some dude recently saying because the ID.4 can't get from Dublin to Dingle non-stop he won't consider an EV

"I couldn't be stuck in Barack Obama plaza for 30 mins" was his explanation

There'll always be naysayers :rolleyes:

not to mind the hour he would spend in the M50 carpark

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    Yet another example of me feeling like I'm adulting wrong, am I the only person who can go 5/6 hours without needing to go the bathroom?

Dont know about you but generally I'm 2-3 hours driving before I need to stop!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd don't find that driving affects my bathroom schedule very much, certainly not to the point I'd accuse another driver of being a psychopath because they didn't stop for a bathroom break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I find my caffeine intake goes up when driving, forcing me to stop more often, which means I generally buy myself another coffee while stopped, thus causing me to stop more often

It's a vicious cycle :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I'd don't find that driving affects my bathroom schedule very much, certainly not to the point I'd accuse another driver of being a psychopath because they didn't stop for a bathroom break.

More like a rest break, I find 2-3 hours of driving pretty tiring, not sure I could do 4-5 hours without a break and still be functional at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah the longer the driving run, the longer it takes my stiff old 40 year old body to get out of the car and stretch back into the ability to walk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

More like a rest break, I find 2-3 hours of driving pretty tiring,

I'd have been the same in ICE cars, but since getting a Model 3, driving any sort of distance is a lot lot more relaxing (using autopilot/autosteer)..

Back in February I did a trip down to Cork and back, 686 km's in total (granted I had a stop at Ballacolla on the way down and back up, as well as 2 charging stops in Cork, and then a 2 hour visit to a site), and as we were getting home, I genuinely felt as fresh as a daisy!! I'd done long days drives like that before, and would always be destroyed by the end of it, but in the Model 3 this particular day, I could have easily done another 300-400 km's on a whim.....

Now my only limit is my bladder, and the range of the car... and I actually enjoy the (forced) charging stops. I'd never take breaks in an ICE unless a toilet stop was needed, and just motor on.... but in the EV, the breaks are almost mandated, and I feel so much better for them.. you get to switch off for 20-30 minutes...

I'd have been the same in ICE cars, but since getting a Model 3, driving any sort of distance is a lot lot more relaxing (using autopilot/autosteer)..

Back in February I did a trip down to Cork and back, 686 km's in total (granted I had a stop at Ballacolla on the way down and back up, as well as 2 charging stops in Cork, and then a 2 hour visit to a site), and as we were getting home, I genuinely felt as fresh as a daisy!! I'd done long days drives like that before, and would always be destroyed by the end of it, but in the Model 3 this particular day, I could have easily done another 300-400 km's on a whim.....

Now my only limit is my bladder, and the range of the car... and I actually enjoy the (forced) charging stops. I'd never take breaks in an ICE unless a toilet stop was needed, and just motor on.... but in the EV, the breaks are almost mandated, and I feel so much better for them.. you get to switch off for 20-30 minutes...

Yeah I imagine having autopilot or something similar would remove some of the mental load of driving. Even dumb cruise control on the Leaf means I don't have to concentrate on maintaining speed

I find the lack of an engine droning in the background helps too, means you're less stressed while driving so you don't get worn out as quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It was just a joke!

Also, I didn't actually mention bathroom breaks — fatigue, back stiffness, and breaking the monotony are usually why I stop, if I'm on my own.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One thing I will say about EV driving and holding in a number 1.....

The motion of the car helps you hold it in a bit longer... which is fine on motorways etc.. but in city stop start traffic, the ICE engine idling definitely helps, whereas the EV does nothing to ease your pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The issue ICE car drivers have with stopping is the idea of the car dictating where they stop and for how long imo.

Rather then stops per se.

I doubt Mr Dublin to Dingle man drives all the way there non stop - youd get as far as Limerick quick enough but the Limerick to Dingle stretch is a long slog imo.

What he probably doesnt want to do is be forced to stop at a particular spot like Obama Plaza.

Might suit him more to stop in Adare for lunch but no rapids there (illustration example).

Old diesel wrote: »
    The issue ICE car drivers have with stopping is the idea of the car dictating where they stop and for how long imo.

Rather then stops per se.

I doubt Mr Dublin to Dingle man drives all the way there non stop - youd get as far as Limerick quick enough but the Limerick to Dingle stretch is a long slog imo.

What he probably doesnt want to do is be forced to stop at a particular spot like Obama Plaza.

Might suit him more to stop in Adare for lunch but no rapids there (illustration example).

I'm not gonna put words in the guys mouth, I'm just repeating what he said :)

If someone did say they wouldn't buy an EV because for example there was only a single charger along a regular long drive and they didn't like the area or facilities at that charger then I think that's a fair viewpoint

However they did say they were coming from Dublin. Even with our woeful infrastructure there's not many roads from Dublin that only have a single charger. Derry/Donegal/Sligo springs to mind as the worst route from Dublin for chargers

Doing the Wild Atlantic Way on public charging would be pretty nerve racking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Noticed a new charge point marked on both Plugshare and Google Maps in the IDA estate in Waterford.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Virta+Global+Charging+Station/@52.245493,-7.144482,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfe015771d058aea!8m2!3d52.245062!4d-7.145272?hl=en

There's no information, other than being marked as Virta Global, which appears to be a charging network, and it having 2 type-2 sockets. With its location, I'm not sure if its even public or a private business point. Anyone else know anything about it?

JohnC. wrote: »
    Noticed a new charge point marked on both Plugshare and Google Maps in the IDA estate in Waterford.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Virta+Global+Charging+Station/@52.245493,-7.144482,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfe015771d058aea!8m2!3d52.245062!4d-7.145272?hl=en

There's no information, other than being marked as Virta Global, which appears to be a charging network, and it having 2 type-2 sockets. With its location, I'm not sure if its even public or a private business point. Anyone else know anything about it?

I literally cannot read the words Waterford and charger without imagining a picnic table beside the charger blocking one of the spaces :D

Yeah I saw some dude recently saying because the ID.4 can't get from Dublin to Dingle non-stop he won't consider an EV

"I couldn't be stuck in Barack Obama plaza for 30 mins" was his explanation

There'll always be naysayers :rolleyes:

He will be 30 minutes if he's the only one there. That's only the charge time.

Dublin Inquirer article about the Dublin councils struggling to create EV charging infrastructure:
    https://dublininquirer.com/2021/05/12/unable-to-roll-out-and-run-a-network-of-electric-charging-points-council-seeks-help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Opel Vivaro-e article
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/small-battery-big-load-opel-s-vivaro-e-gives-van-man-a-plug-1.4557158

The article isn't great, he mentions that the larger battery size would have been better for the 800km trip, but goes on to complain about having to decide to either turn the heat off or stop to charge again, and also the overall time taken due to driving below the speed limit. Any casual reader would just read this and nod their head without challenging it, reinforcing existing views on why EVs don't work in Ireland at the moment. He charged at Ionity Kill, I wonder if we'll see more vans in the coming year at public charging locations putting pressure on eCars network in particular given the price difference to Ionity.

https://www.opel.ie/vans/vivaro-c/vivaro-e/overview.html

"The new Opel Vivaro-e is available with a 50kWh battery for a range of up to 230km or a 75kWh battery for up to 330km.The high-energy density 50kWh/18-module and 75kWh/27-module batteries can charge from empty to 80% of optimum range in just 30 and 45 minutes respectively at a 100kW public charger. On-board 7.4kW or enhanced 11kW chargers are perfect to fully prepare your new Vivaro-e overnight for the full working day ahead."

MJohnston wrote: »
    Dublin Inquirer article about the Dublin councils struggling to create EV charging infrastructure:
    https://dublininquirer.com/2021/05/12/unable-to-roll-out-and-run-a-network-of-electric-charging-points-council-seeks-help

The three richest councils running the highest population density area in the country can't figure out how to install any chargers? I'm calling BS on that one they don't want the hassle

I noticed they didn't seem to have any problems getting some consultants to tell them to farm it out to ESB, I'm sure they didn't come cheap

• Advertisement

The three richest councils running the highest population density area in the country can't figure out how to install any chargers? I'm calling BS on that one they don't want the hassle

I noticed they didn't seem to have any problems getting some consultants to tell them to farm it out to ESB, I'm sure they didn't come cheap

I'd be curious as to whether DLRCC are quite as enthusiastic about this working group as the rest — they definitely seemed to have a much better handle on trialling alternate forms of charging infrastructure and are nowhere near as reluctant to change as DCC.

He will be 30 minutes if he's the only one there. That's only the charge time.
    He'll be longer. Obama Plaza is supply limited so doesnt deliver 50kW.

ELM327 wrote: »
    He'll be longer. Obama Plaza is supply limited so doesnt deliver 50kW.

Or just detour to Cashel and use Ionity, 4 chargers to choose from

It'll cost about 30 mins but probably an overall saving since it's a faster charger and less chance of waiting

Finally a reasonably priced electric van with rapid charging. 100kW.

36k starting price is similar to a transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

cannco253 wrote: »
    Opel Vivaro-e article
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/small-battery-big-load-opel-s-vivaro-e-gives-van-man-a-plug-1.4557158

The article isn't great, he mentions that the larger battery size would have been better for the 800km trip, but goes on to complain about having to decide to either turn the heat off or stop to charge again, and also the overall time taken due to driving below the speed limit. Any casual reader would just read this and nod their head without challenging it, reinforcing existing views on why EVs don't work in Ireland at the moment. He charged at Ionity Kill, I wonder if we'll see more vans in the coming year at public charging locations putting pressure on eCars network in particular given the price difference to Ionity.

https://www.opel.ie/vans/vivaro-c/vivaro-e/overview.html

"The new Opel Vivaro-e is available with a 50kWh battery for a range of up to 230km or a 75kWh battery for up to 330km.The high-energy density 50kWh/18-module and 75kWh/27-module batteries can charge from empty to 80% of optimum range in just 30 and 45 minutes respectively at a 100kW public charger. On-board 7.4kW or enhanced 11kW chargers are perfect to fully prepare your new Vivaro-e overnight for the full working day ahead."

I feel the article is a reflection of his experience over the time with the van.

Wrong vehicle for that trip with the 50 kwh battery on a regular basis - absolutely.

The thing with these vans is that with 40 to 50 kwh batteries - they are meant for doing a delivery route around town/city.

The van shape also hurts range at speed.

Think of it like ICE cars vs ICE vans - you could have a 1.4 petrol in an ICE car like a Golf but you wont see a 1.4 petrol in a Merc Sprinter van.

To me the article appears to point to the battery spec of this van as the issue rather then EVs as a wider thing

Edit - to me this review was more about this exact van and not EVs in general so im viewing it on that basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Or just detour to Cashel and use Ionity, 4 chargers to choose from

It'll cost about 30 mins but probably an overall saving since it's a faster charger and less chance of waiting

He probably wont, detour 30 minutes to be sure of what? Charging for 20 minutes instead? At prices that are more expensive than fossil fuel and there are only 4 chargers how long before 4 is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I call BS on this although the news is not new, consultants were due to be hired in January 2020. Here are the tender documents. Did they ever looked out of the window?

And before we're told is not LAs job to do this here is a collection of local councils in Germany
    https://www.e-laden.info/html/page.php?page_id=8
    They don't only have their own network they do roaming agreements with other providers trying to get best prices for their residents. Some of them have the cheapest rates for Ionity like 40c per minte.

Look at Rodau they have e-car sharing @ 99c/h That is the best EV promoting you can get. Who wouldn't drive test one just for fun? Is it cheaper that the bikes scheme here in some cases. It's definitely cheaper than the ebike one.
    And look at the way they think over here. PDF.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Finally a reasonably priced electric van with rapid charging. 100kW.

36k starting price is similar to a transit.

Interestingly they included the commercial SEAI grant, was half expecting them to just put the €5k one in

Price includes VAT, can that be claimed back for a business purchase? I seem to remember the rules around this for a vehicle pruchase were tricky

kanuseeme wrote: »
    He probably wont, detour 30 minutes to be sure of what? Charging for 20 minutes instead? At prices that are more expensive than fossil fuel and there are only 4 chargers how long before 4 is not enough.

15 mins in an ID.4

Get an Ionity subscription if you're using it regularly, pays off big time

Given the complaining people do about Ionity prices, I'd assume those stalls are gathering dust and are never used :P

• Advertisement

Interestingly they included the commercial SEAI grant, was half expecting them to just put the €5k one in

Price includes VAT, can that be claimed back for a business purchase? I seem to remember the rules around this for a vehicle pruchase were tricky

Generally you'd want to lease rather than purchase and claim back the vat on the lease. Lease is opex and purchase is capex - there are different rules, but having not yet registered for VAT I'm not sure. Threshold for business vat registration is ~70k

Wonder if electric vans are eligible for the same ACCA as a chargepoint?

Advertisement