Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ELM327 wrote: »
    Generally you'd want to lease rather than purchase and claim back the vat on the lease. Lease is opex and purchase is capex - there are different rules, but having not yet registered for VAT I'm not sure. Threshold for business vat registration is ~70k

Wonder if electric vans are eligible for the same ACCA as a chargepoint?

If you lease you have to claim the vat back on each lease payment. If it's on HP or a cash purchase you claim the vat straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

15 mins in an ID.4

Get an Ionity subscription if you're using it regularly, pays off big time

Given the complaining people do about Ionity prices, I'd assume those stalls are gathering dust and are never used :P

So 45 minutes then, given he did not want to spend 30 minutes, 45 minutes sounds reasonable.

Ionity I thought charged 79 cents, but after going to 4 different click "here"s it seems its 0.73 EUR / kWh.

A regular user would indeed benefit form a subscription, but seeing that ecars rate is 20 % cheaper than using fossil fuel, a subscription service through whoever on ionity is not going to match ecars price.

Any picture I see of Ionity posted here shows iced or empty, so gathering dust is probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

kanuseeme wrote: »
    So 45 minutes then, given he did not want to spend 30 minutes, 45 minutes sounds reasonable.

I was going off of ABRP, the 30 mins includes 15 mins charging :)

Alternatively there's a 16 mins stop at Portlaoise plaza, which is cheaper and more direct, but since there's only 1 HPC, more likely to turn into a 45 mins stop due to waiting or using the 50kW unit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Any picture I see of Ionity posted here shows iced or empty, so gathering dust is probably right.

aka reliably available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not sure how I did it, but I seem to have had some sort of error after looking at that Prius/camper ad…

552791.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I like the way the blue plastic blends in with the car colour. Great attention to detail there.

i-img600x450-1618903158yajglx8705.jpg

i-img600x450-1618903158avpsde8705.jpg

Auction ended. starting big was 25 k or so for a 2014 14000km prius phev camper something or other.

VW are going to be testing an autonomous ID.Buzz in Hamburg this summer

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/05/volkswagen-will-start-testing-autonomous-id-buzz-in-hamburg/

Seems ambitious, I'm guessing it'll be following a set route or something

Still, I hope it goes well, one step closer to autonomous cars

Auction ended. starting big was 25 k or so for a 2014 14000km prius phev camper something or other.

I somehow hate that car but want to buy one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Looks like a portaloo at the back,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I liked this article from insideev
    https://insideevs.com/news/506759/tesla-model3-hyundai-ioniq5-charging/
    Quite well documented and explained which could be a really nice starting point for the newbies when looking at charging speeds.
    Really liked this chart https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/img-2021-tesla-model-3-lr-awd-v3-sc-ucc-20210512.png which helps visualizing the range gain in time vs the starting point of the charge. Then it struck me that they labelled red the speeds below 50kW which is what we normally get at most chargers on this island.
    So realistically speaking both cars will need some 75 mins to charge 10-80% blasting the max 45kW available and if you get to the new installed Raption units if someone is charging on AC maybe even 150 minutes. At least we don't need to care about charging speeds as they will be constant all the way so people won't need to educate themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭boccy23

Looking at US petrol stations made me think I would never have to that again! :)

boccy23 wrote: »
    Looking at US petrol stations made me think I would never have to that again! :)

You'd never get that happening here with our petrol prices! No-one could afford to hoard fuel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

UK’s largest EV charging hub set to electrify Brent Cross

https://www.propertyfundsworld.com/2021/05/10/299939/uks-largest-ev-charging-hub-set-electrify-brent-cross

"The chargers, which will be operated and maintained by Franklin Energy on the LiFe Network, will be supplied by EVBox and installed over a number of phases. The first phase, which is due to complete later this year, will see the installation of 50 fast charging points (22kW AC) in the Multi Storey car park and two ultra-rapid charging points (350 kW DC) in the Western overflow car park."

I think Dundrum has 2 working chargers at the moment.

cannco253 wrote: »
    UK’s largest EV charging hub set to electrify Brent Cross

https://www.propertyfundsworld.com/2021/05/10/299939/uks-largest-ev-charging-hub-set-electrify-brent-cross

"The chargers, which will be operated and maintained by Franklin Energy on the LiFe Network, will be supplied by EVBox and installed over a number of phases. The first phase, which is due to complete later this year, will see the installation of 50 fast charging points (22kW AC) in the Multi Storey car park and two ultra-rapid charging points (350 kW DC) in the Western overflow car park."

I think Dundrum has 2 working chargers at the moment.
    Actually there are no less than 13 sockets or charging points in Dundrum
    4 level 2M Red ecars
    7 level 2 Red podpoint free to charge
    2 a garo unit free to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

innrain wrote: »
    4 level 2M Red ecars

Level 2M currently inaccessible (maybe will be available again when more retail reopens)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

4 level 2M Red ecars

Where are the agaro units?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Why the fupp do people have such deep brand loyalty towards a bloody car manufacturer.

Posted on the UK i3 owners group yesterday looking for a little info on my car spec as I'm changing to the ID3 (probably) and got about 25% useful answers and 75% condescending twattery about how the ID3 is slow, boring, cheap, buggy blah blah.

You'd swear I had insulted someone's mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I mean they arent wrong!

markpb wrote: »
    Where are the agaro units?
    Sorry forgot to write the location. Green car park level -2 immediately after the barrier on the left side. Usually ICED

This is the probably best picture to orient yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ELM327 wrote: »
    I mean they arent wrong!

Lol

And I'm not wrong when I point out the bottom level 120ah i3 is €46k while the top end ID3 is €42k and has double the range!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Sorry forgot to write the location. Green car park level -2 immediately after the barrier on the left side. Usually ICED

I use those charge points quite often when I go to Dundrum for a five guys, I don't think I've ever seen them ICED.

So it's 9 in total right now, 7 at level 2 Red podpoint free to charge and 2 a garo unit free to charge - are they all still working at the moment?

Red car park has 2,371 parking spaces, green has 454 and add another 310 for Tesco so 3,000+

Even when the 4 on Level 2M red are back that's a very small proportion of the overall number of spaces...

For comparison sake Brent Cross has 3,930 + 507 + 671 = 5,108.

I used to leave near there so am aware it's at the end of the motorway, but most people go there for their weekly shopping and a bite to eat.

Dundrum isn't that far from the M50 so could do something similar space and connectivity permitting.

cannco253 wrote: »
    So it's 9 in total right now, 7 at level 2 Red podpoint free to charge and 2 a garo unit free to charge - are they all still working at the moment?

Red car park has 2,371 parking spaces, green has 454 and add another 310 for Tesco so 3,000+

Even when the 4 on Level 2M red are back that's a very small proportion of the overall number of spaces...
    I don't disagree with you but ecars units are working just they are not accessible because the carpark is closed off. If you want to do the ratio you have to take out the spaces which are not accessible as well. From the 7 pod-point sockets, one got broken weeks after installation never fixed; I think level 2 red is fenced off as well. This would change after the weekend so I would still use 12/13 in you ratio calculations. As the chargers @ shopping centers go Dundrum is better than Liffey Valley or Blanch just to stay in Dublin. What about Jervis or Ilac with zero?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Why the fupp do people have such deep brand loyalty towards a bloody car manufacturer.

Posted on the UK i3 owners group yesterday looking for a little info on my car spec as I'm changing to the ID3 (probably) and got about 25% useful answers and 75% condescending twattery about how the ID3 is slow, boring, cheap, buggy blah blah.

You'd swear I had insulted someone's mother.

Oh if yout think BMW are bad, just wait until you join the ranks of ID owners, they're literally willing to forgive anything

My ID.4 isn't even here and I keep telling people how brilliant they are :D

I don't disagree with you but ecars units are working just they are not accessible because the carpark is closed off. If you want to do the ratio you have to take out the spaces which are not accessible as well. From the 7 pod-point sockets, one got broken weeks after installation never fixed; I think level 2 red is fenced off as well. This would change after the weekend so I would still use 12/13 in you ratio calculations. As the chargers @ shopping centers go Dundrum is better than Liffey Valley or Blanch just to stay in Dublin. What about Jervis or Ilac with zero?

I suspect the ownerships of battery cars is much higher around Dundrum than in Fonthill or Blachardtown.

• Advertisement

I see a lot of EVs around Dublin 15, mostly Ioniqs Leafs and Zoes

However shopping centre chargers are something you need at destination shopping centres, Dundrum is more of an upmarket shopping centre that you'd make an effort to get to, Liffey Valley and Blanch primarily serve their local areas meaning there is less requirement for destination charging.

Advertisement