Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ha, I live much closer to Dundrum, and have to go past it to get to Liffey Valley — but I still go to Liffey Valley often enough (I guess because Dundrum is ****e for shopping trolleys and kids, and parents with kids and shopping trolleys). Blanch can get in the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't know how we got tangled in debating SCs quality but l'm not proud :) As for me all could go to the sea.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

innrain wrote: »
    I don't know how we got tangled in debating SCs quality but l'm not proud :) As for me all could go to the sea.

Maybe if it they were out at sea they'd be far enough away that you'd actually need to charge when you got there. Kildare Village is a location where I thing they need to increase the number of AC chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Maybe if it they were out at sea they'd be far enough away that you'd actually need to charge when you got there. Kildare Village is a location where I thing they need to increase the number of AC chargers.

No they need a DC charger, the less time spent there the better

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

I second this, Kildare Village need to up their game as they are positioning themselves as an a boutique destination for the whole island, plenty of coach & bus parking.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Blanch can get in the sea

You take that back!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No they need a DC charger, the less time spent there the better

Are you mistaking Kildare Village for a motorway service station?

Are you mistaking Kildare Village for a motorway service station?

No, I'm just not a fan of the place, I feel like it's a bit overrated

I think we need to rename this thread "Random thoughts" since we've left EVs behind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I think we need to rename this thread "Random thoughts" since we've left EVs behind :D

Note to self. Get some Krispy Kremes later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

So it turns out ev owners are a friendly bunch

Like many I was making my first big trip last weekend since I got my ev

I pulled into circle K Athlone to the ionity chargers to try them out and make sure the app was set up right for future use

There was an ID3 in another bay and he was getting out to disconnect and very kindly pointed out that there is a free to use circle K 50kwh charger there also, that is very handy to know about for future use and I very much appreciated him taking the time to mention it

Shortly after an identical ID3 pulled up and came over for a chat about my car a while later so all in all the stop was made more pleasant by the people using the charge points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, had a nice natter this morning towards the end of my charge, EV's are interesting and there's a lot more around now from when I got the Leaf back 4 years ago now, saw a Mazda MX-30 in the wild too, waste of a car with that size battery...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

"there is a free to use circle K 50kwh charger there also, that is very handy to know about for future use and I very much appreciated him taking the time to mention it"

I thought that was an ecars 50kW unit so surprised to hear it's free - did you try it?

slave1 wrote: »
    Yep, had a nice natter this morning towards the end of my charge, EV's are interesting and there's a lot more around now from when I got the Leaf back 4 years ago now, saw a Mazda MX-30 in the wild too, waste of a car with that size battery...

Funny, I was thinking recently about the MX30, and I'm a bit annoyed at how the Mazda is releasing a Rex version to make up for the small battery

I think if someone came out with an electric van or a pickup in the next year then that'd make sense, there's not much electric vehicles on offer in those segments and they're often used by businesses which might need to operate in areas where there aren't many chargers

But an electric city car with a Rex? There's loads of great pure electric small hatchbacks out there already, why would anyone bother with the Rex?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

2021 EV charge points are 2004’s pub designated smoking areas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

cannco253 wrote: »
    I thought that was an ecars 50kW unit so surprised to hear it's free - did you try it?

Nah, it’s a Circle K unit with Chademo and CCS but the CCS unit was out of order for absolutely ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I've just seen an ad for a Mach-e on the TV ( a UK channel ). Are Ford offering them here yet ?

Good to know about Athlone, are there any other Circle K 50kW units around the country that are free?

markpb wrote: »
    Nah, it’s a Circle K unit with Chademo and CCS but the CCS unit was out of order for absolutely ages.

Correct, it has a horrible failure rate, not to be dependant on

Andy from EVM having a rant about UK charging networks, always fun to listen to a Yorkshireman complain :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRqKJENX0g

He absolutely hit the nail on the head, we as EV owners only accept the charging networks as they are because we're used to them and have the experience to know which chargers can't be trusted

He should come over here and see our disgrace of a charging network, while it may serve for leisure trips where time isn't a concern, I wouldn't be too thrilled about needing to use it every day for going to and from work

Just a few small changes would make it so much better to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good to know about Athlone, are there any other Circle K 50kW units around the country that are free?
    Birdhill I believe

ELM327 wrote: »
    Birdhill I believe

That is Applegreen 2x

I saw this Maxol story yesterday, it's a start I suppose. I remember they said they harvested rain water for the car washes last year, pity the EV charging point rollout is slow.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/ulstergrocer/retail/maxol-investing-2m-in-convenience-brand-40435666.html

Does anyone have the overall stats for Petrol station owners own brand chargers i.e Circle K/Maxol/anyone else?

Ionity have a Circle K logo on them. Do they count?
    Otherwise, speaking about ROI there is another one beside the 3 units mentioned above in Roscommon https://www.plugshare.com/location/198619
    More a private initiative of the owner than a Circle K thing

Ionity have a Circle K logo on them. Do they count?
    Otherwise, speaking about ROI there is another one beside the 3 units mentioned above in Roscommon https://www.plugshare.com/location/198619
    More a private initiative of the owner than a Circle K thing

They are Clenergy, as that's not a million miles from me I signed up for them years back and have cards in the cars, never used it yet though

They are Clenergy, as that's not a million miles from me I signed up for them years back and have cards in the cars, never used it yet though

Do they have another unit in Ireland beside this one?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Do they have another unit in Ireland beside this one?

I believe not.

https://insideevs.com/news/508190/joe-biden-ford-f150-lightning/

President Joe Biden Visits Ford, Test Drives F-150 Lightning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I tried to use that one twice and no joy. Couldnt get it to connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

https://insideevs.com/news/508190/joe-biden-ford-f150-lightning/

President Joe Biden Visits Ford, Test Drives F-150 Lightning
    C'mon ford - sell them here!

Advertisement