Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

ELM327 wrote: »
    C'mon ford - sell them here!

The battery in them..
    150 Wh/kg: 122 kWh
    200 Wh/kg: 163 kWh

so.. yeah that 45 minutes on a 50kw esb is hardly going to make a dent in that.

say if it has a 150kwh battery useable, and does 30kwh/100km, thats still a range of 500 km! (if my math is right) Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

150kW would though. That's the way its going. And ford are part of Ionity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

IONITY is a joint venture of BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, Hyundai Motor Group, Mercedes Benz AG and Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche.

Isn't the Tesla Cybertruck supposed to be a 200 kW battery?

How many Cybertrucks could you fit at a Tesla supercharger or F150s at Ionity given the size of the things?

Depends where the charge port is located.
    Whatever about the CT, the ford F150 is not that big. It's a 1500 half ton, I've had a 1500 and a 2*2500 US cars here and they would easily fit at tesla superchargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Depends where the charge port is located.
    Whatever about the CT, the ford F150 is not that big. It's a 1500 half ton, I've had a 1500 and a 2*2500 US cars here and they would easily fit at tesla superchargers.

Wot???

The F150 is small by American standards, it's massive on Irish roads

One of by neighbours has a Ranger and that thing is ridiculous, can't even fit in his driveway. The F150 is the bigger, bigger brother (Raptor is in the middle)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Wot???

The F150 is small by American standards, it's massive on Irish roads

One of by neighbours has a Ranger and that thing is ridiculous, can't even fit in his driveway. The F150 is the bigger, bigger brother (Raptor is in the middle)

I had a GMC Sierra 1500, a Chevy Suburban 2500 and a ford F250 (with the big 7.3 diesel). Trust me, I know my american tanks!

Compare the current ranger raptor with a standard F150, there's actually not much in it size wise.

From looking at the website the charging port is on the driver side (US car) just behind the cab and before the rear wheel arch.

I had a GMC Sierra 1500, a Chevy Suburban 2500 and a ford F250 (with the big 7.3 diesel). Trust me, I know my american tanks!

Compare the current ranger raptor with a standard F150, there's actually not much in it size wise.

Okay fair point, but I still disagree with the "not that big" statement :)

cannco253 wrote: »
    From looking at the website the charging port is on the driver side (US car) just behind the cab and before the rear wheel arch.
    Exactly (almost) where it is on the S and X. I'm guessing the cybertruck will fit in Tesla SuC stalls but other non proprietary ones may be a problem

https://www.nextgreencar.com/news/9129/good-energy-and-zapmap-to-offer-ev-drivers-free-electricity/

“The tariff will include ‘flash’ windows based on periods when Britain is generating an abundance of solar and wind power. When this happens, the tariff will alert drivers to a four-hour window when charging their vehicle will come at no extra cost, and will be entirely backed by Good Energy’s 100% renewable electricity supply.”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

https://www.nextgreencar.com/news/9129/good-energy-and-zapmap-to-offer-ev-drivers-free-electricity/

“The tariff will include ‘flash’ windows based on periods when Britain is generating an abundance of solar and wind power. When this happens, the tariff will alert drivers to a four-hour window when charging their vehicle will come at no extra cost, and will be entirely backed by Good Energy’s 100% renewable electricity supply.”

So a bit like the octopus energy's Agile tariff?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

New thread for F150?

“The real standout charging feature is exclusive to the versions of the F-150 Lightning powered by the extended range battery: Ford is including a new 80-amp home charging station that not only fully charges the F-150 Lightning in eight hours but allows owners to easily power their entire home for around three days in the event of an electricity outage.

The ability to draw power from the battery pack isn’t limited to these extreme scenarios, though. All of the base trims of the F-150 Lightning can put out 2.4kW of onboard power, and the more expensive Lariat and Platinum trims offer a total of 9.6kW of onboard power. The more expensive F-150 Lightnings also have 11 built-in power sockets — seven in the cab and bed, including a 240V outlet, and four in the front trunk — plus a handful of USB ports. “

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

New thread for F150?

“The real standout charging feature is exclusive to the versions of the F-150 Lightning powered by the extended range battery: Ford is including a new 80-amp home charging station that not only fully charges the F-150 Lightning in eight hours but allows owners to easily power their entire home for around three days in the event of an electricity outage.

The ability to draw power from the battery pack isn’t limited to these extreme scenarios, though. All of the base trims of the F-150 Lightning can put out 2.4kW of onboard power, and the more expensive Lariat and Platinum trims offer a total of 9.6kW of onboard power. The more expensive F-150 Lightnings also have 11 built-in power sockets — seven in the cab and bed, including a 240V outlet, and four in the front trunk — plus a handful of USB ports. “

Probably the only pickup, and the only Ford, I'd ever want to buy :)

Looks great tbh, no doubt it'll sell well in the US, maybe they'll bring it over here as well

Went online, you have to be in the US to reserve. BOOOOO

Went online, you have to be in the US to reserve. BOOOOO

I hear Joe Biden would buy one, maybe you can put his name down :)

Might use his name, sure he'd probably forget ordering it anyway!

Looks like it's not coming to Europe.
    Might have to grey import one if the cybertruck is not sold here. I'd be happier driving an out of market ford (as I have done already) vs an out of market tesla.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-f-150-lightning-563bhp-electric-pick-truck-revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There surely must be cheaper ways to get your neighbours to hate you!

MJohnston wrote: »
    There surely must be cheaper ways to get your neighbours to hate you!

Well like I said one of our neighbours has a ranger and the main reasons it's disliked is because of the loud engine and obnoxious driving

An electric F150 would solve one ofthose problems at least :)

• Advertisement

It's actually a very good idea, there should be a priority charger at hubs for people with limited mobility or other special needs.

Ideally there should also be an attendant who can help plug the car in and start the charger. A CCS plug can be pretty heavy, not sure how an 80 year old with a walker frame is going to plug in to a HPC

Of course we don't have many hubs with enough chargers that you could dedicate a priority one, so it's something of a moot point anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Beside this particular charging point presentation which the cynic in me sees it as a PR stunt, reading through I found the company in charge to be https://char.gy/ie which it seems to be an UK company but with presence (1 charger) here. Scroll down and see the prices. Also browsing through the website it seems all they are offering is max 7kW
    Trying to get my head around the pricing:
    PAYG 45c/kwh
    Monthly, called Casual is 45quid/month includes 200kWh then 33c/kWh but also 45c/kWh what is in excess (of what I don't get it)
    There is also Unlimited for 99 quid a month.

Is this what councils are planning? Being 100% more expensive than SuC?
    One probably needs their head checked if planing to use such a charger and they may qualify for a badge.

innrain wrote: »
    Beside this particular charging point presentation which the cynic in me sees it as a PR stunt, reading through I found the company in charge to be https://char.gy/ie which it seems to be an UK company but with presence (1 charger) here. Scroll down and see the prices. Also browsing through the website it seems all they are offering is max 7kW
    Trying to get my head around the pricing:
    PAYG 45c/kwh
    Monthly, called Casual is 45quid/month includes 200kWh then 33c/kWh but also 45c/kWh what is in excess (of what I don't get it)
    There is also Unlimited for 99 quid a month.

Is this what councils are planning? Being 100% more expensive than SuC?
    One probably needs their head checked if planing to use such a charger and they may qualify for a badge.

Well it is in Dundrum, if they priced it low then the riff raff might blow in :D

I'm hoping that people with mobility issues are able to charge for free (parhaps by registering beforehand) and the price for everyone else is higher to stop the charger getting abused

What's the bet DLR council didn't think of that? :o

https://electrek.co/2021/05/21/tesla-fastned-create-energy-superhub-charging-station/

"Tesla and Fastned, a Dutch charging network, are creating what they call an ‘Energy Superhub,’ a large dual-branded charging station in Oxford.
    The Fastned station will have up to 14 fast chargers and there will be 12 Tesla Superchargers on site. The hub is due to open at the end of 2021."

Nice looking place to charge in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

https://electrek.co/2021/05/21/tesla-fastned-create-energy-superhub-charging-station/

"Tesla and Fastned, a Dutch charging network, are creating what they call an ‘Energy Superhub,’ a large dual-branded charging station in Oxford.
    The Fastned station will have up to 14 fast chargers and there will be 12 Tesla Superchargers on site. The hub is due to open at the end of 2021."

There is already one of those in Germany at Kreuz Hilden between Cologne and Dusseldorf.

fastned-tesla-baecker-schueren-hilden-tesvolt-2020-04-min.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-environment/europes-most-powerful-ev-charging-hub-open-oxford-year
    It seems there will be a third company there. 10 MW total the equivalent of 200 ecars rapids. How many PHEVs can charge here.

innrain wrote: »
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-environment/europes-most-powerful-ev-charging-hub-open-oxford-year
    It seems there will be a third company there. 10 MW total the equivalent of 200 ecars rapids. How many PHEVs can charge here.

16 from the looks of it ;)
    Wenea will install 16 of these additional chargers. These chargers will be rated at 7-22kW and compatible with most EVs.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/05/20/dpd-ireland-plans-to-utilise-another-100-electric-vans/

“To operate the 100 electric vehicles to be purchased over the next 18 months, the company plans to equip ten depots with charging infrastructure, electrifying 250 short- and medium-haul routes. By 2023, the operation of all of the company’s depots in the country is to be completely converted to renewable energy.”

Well like I said one of our neighbours has a ranger and the main reasons it's disliked is because of the loud engine and obnoxious driving

An electric F150 would solve one ofthose problems at least :)

In an amusing development my neighbour who has the pickup now wants the electric F150. He's a big petrolhead and does huge mileage so would probably have been one of the last people to convert

Just shows people will be interested once the right EV comes along

Too bad they aren't selling them here, maybe they'll come out with an electric Raptor soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are the grants disappearing in July?
    What's the best range phev out there in Ireland?

Been looking at the new Seat Leon estate phev, claims about 40-50 miles on elec, tbh I'd be happy with 30.

Anything else that would match that in the 32k euro range

Advertisement