Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've run out of petrol/diesel twice, and electricity once - half a mile from home.

My own fault, passed 2 rapids on the way but thought "ah it'll be grand..."

Shoulda bought a REx.... oh wait! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »
    Shoulda bought a REx.... oh wait! :pac:

Ah I'm not that bad, this was in 2016 when I was in a 24kWh Leaf.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Give us some chance at success! I'd be nervous doing that route in the ID.4, let alone a Leaf or Ioniq28 :)

Derry to Cork might be a good one, good selection of chargers through the midlands and East coast, if you can make it out of NI without using any of the dodgy chargers there
    Mizen head to Malin head.
    N71, N70, N69, N67, N59, N15, N56.
    About 900km or so. Mammoth journey though.
    Unfortunately you can't start at 100% or finish at 0%.
    N67 is the biggest charger void.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Was parked beside a Tesla 3 at the supermarket earlier, smaller than I thought

I guess they make up for being small by having a frunk. Seeing plenty of them around these days too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Have one and a 3 series, very similar size. More storage space in the Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pad199207

What’s the best app for charging locations?

pad199207 wrote: »
    What’s the best app for charging locations?

To see their locations... I'd say plugshare. Locations are added by regular members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭fafy

A question on the ESB 22kW chargers, these are AC right ? If so, what electric cars can avail of AC 22kW charging, i know eg the E Niro is limited onboard to 11kw, and its even lower with some other models

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Zoe, some tesla S, mercedes B class EV, Smart EV and a couple of others (I think Taycan and Etron have it coming soon)

Others can charge at 16a three phase (so 11kW) and this seems standard for most new EVs except the ipace (and of course the nissan leaf which is still largely based on the 2013 drivetrain)

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Zoe, some tesla S, mercedes B class EV, Smart EV and a couple of others (I think Taycan and Etron have it coming soon)

Others can charge at 16a three phase (so 11kW) and this seems standard for most new EVs except the ipace (and of course the nissan leaf which is still largely based on the 2013 drivetrain)

Its ofd that one of the cheaper EV’s- The Zoe, has 22kw ac charging capability, and mid priced ones from E Niro, to ID3 & 4 do not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Upcoming Nissan Airya can do 22kWh AC charging too, that car will bring Nissan back into the EV forefront

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

fafy wrote: »
    Its ofd that one of the cheaper EV’s- The Zoe, has 22kw ac charging capability, and mid priced ones from E Niro, to ID3 & 4 do not.

Lots of Zoe EVs cannot rapid charge so hence 22kW AC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

True but for years the Zoe had no CCS fast charging, even as an option

22kW AC is great but even a Gen 1 Zoe will need an hour to charge. The ZE50 is great if you need to use public charging, only needs a little over 2 hours on an AC point instead of the usual 5 or 6 most others would need. If Renault had upped the DC charging speed to 100kW if would be one of the best out there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, but thats not to say they can't use a 22kW charger..... they can but will only get what the car can take from it...

so in my Model 3, if I plug into an AC22, I'll get 11kW from it, which is 22% per hour (so 4 hours to get 88%)

I suppose it depends on your situation/lifestyle/driving routine.

For me, almost 100 % home charging, but the vast majority of any public chargers i would use, would be 22kw, as i would hardly ever be on a motorway. So i’d prefer to have 22kw ac capability in a BEV, as those are the chargers, i would use the most often, and it would be at least twice as fast charging.

Its true many 50+ fast dc chargers are popping up outside of motorway areas, but they have a long way to go, and its likely many rural places, which currently have 22kw ac charging points, won’t be uograded for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So the wife wants to move house shortly and we're going to look at 2 on Friday.

One has a big drive etc and the other has no front drive and only on street parking. I've tried explaining to her that in a few years time a driveway with a charger will be super valuable but no dice.
    Her argument to me today was "sure you can charge at the garage once a week".

I'm at a loss trying to explain that on street parking is useless as an EV owner. Another argument is "sure the council will have loads of charging points in the streets in a few years" (she has no idea.... absolutely no idea).

Anybody here have on street parking? How is it possible to own an EV and rely on other chargers?

I'm blue in the face telling her that petrol and diesel are on the way out but she sees old and lovely house. I see disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've been charging once a week in the local garage, which has a 50Kw Electric Ireland charger. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I guess they make up for being small by having a frunk. Seeing plenty of them around these days too.

There's quite a few Northern or English reg bigger older ones around, always black for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

mfceiling wrote: »
    So the wife wants to move house shortly and we're going to look at 2 on Friday

I moved out of my house temporarily. The apartment block has EV chargers but I’ve never got them to work so I’ve been relying on the public charging network for the last month. So far I’ve used:
    - 22kW at Carrickmines while shopping. I knew I’d be there for a while and my car can take 16.5kW so a two hour charge was great. Most cars can’t charge at that rate, most at 7 or 11 so this wouldn’t be great.
    - 22kW at a nearby Luas stop. I parked overnight and walked 5 minutes to the apartment and back the next morning. Having to pay for parking and charging was a bit of a pain.
    - 50kW FCP I worked and watched Netflix while it was charging. Bit boring, I wouldn’t be in a rush to do it regularly.

The handiest would probably be a 50kW charger in a shopping centre car park so I can charge while doing my shopping but my local shops don’t have that and, when I have help from young ones, I couldn’t guarantee finishing my shopping in under 45 minutes.

None of them are as convenient as charging at home and none of them come close to being as cheap but there definitely manageable.

• Advertisement

One has a big drive etc and the other has no front drive and only on street parking. I've tried explaining to her that in a few years time a driveway with a charger will be super valuable but no dice.

I'm at a loss trying to explain that on street parking is useless as an EV owner. Another argument is "sure the council will have loads of charging points in the streets in a few years" (she has no idea.... absolutely no idea).

Anybody here have on street parking? How is it possible to own an EV and rely on other chargers?

I'm blue in the face telling her that petrol and diesel are on the way out but she sees old and lovely house. I see disaster.

I had on street parking in my previous house with a petrol car. It sucked then and I can't imagine it'd be any better with an EV

There's always people parking in your space and there's typically one space per house, so if you're a two car household then you're in trouble

Not to mention there were 2 abandoned cars parked there for about 8 months at least. Until one of the residents sold them to some gentlemen in a white van :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We've got on-street parking in a private estate. We were able to install charging pillar alongside the parking space. It's the kind of estate where even though the spaces aren't allocated unofficial agreements mean you always have the same space. You will have much more problems trying to get a council to agree to an install. Management companies are pretty easy so long as you talk to the board members and get them on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

With small milage you'd be ok. But if you need a well charged car every morning it's as good as impossible to manage. Surely your opinion is worth something though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

JPA wrote: »
    With small milage you'd be ok. But if you need a well charged car every morning it's as good as impossible to manage. Surely your opinion is worth something though?!

Not when it comes to a woman who has her heart set on a "period" house in Dublin 6!!

She changes her car every 2 to 3 years and I've told her in 2024 it will have to be electric. That will be 2 electric cars parked on the street in Dublin. Only thing which might and I stress might work, is to get permission to convert the front garden into a driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pick your house based on your house! You'll - hopefully- spend a magnitude more time in it than you will in a car.

That all said, I reckon a bunch of us should suggest "communal on-street charging" as a DCC Beta project:
    http://dccbeta.ie/suggest

With the mandatory move to EV in a few years there will have to be some leeway in street charging, don’t know how it will work in unreserved parking spaces though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://electrek.co/2021/05/26/evgo-launches-reservations-charging-program-on-us-west-coast/

"You can use the EVgo Reserve Now feature on the app to book immediately, or EVgo Reserve by Date to book a specific date and time in the future. "

I noted the other day that Chargepoint also do this in the US. Do any European charging networks allow this?

slave1 wrote: »
    With the mandatory move to EV in a few years there will have to be some leeway in street charging, don’t know how it will work in unreserved parking spaces though?

My guess is that the planning guidelines will need to be updated to treat on street chargers as allowed works under certain conditions

As for unassigned parking, it'll probably be up to the council or managment company to install a bank of AC chargers for residents

I'm sure they're all going to jump right on that :rolleyes:

They'll have to use all the street light poles

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    They'll have to use all the street light poles

Sure they don't even need to use the poles, there's most likely a duct going from the junction box along the street to the street lights

It'd be a fairly simple job to dig down, pop a charging pole on top of the duct and either tap into the existing supply or run a new cable back to the box

And since a lot of streetlights are getting changed over to LED, there's plenty of capacity getting freed up for chargers

Advertisement