Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Grabbing a few 99s, limited parking, so I'm EVing the pumps.

I did that a few weeks back too, only place with a roof in a down pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Much the same as a ice parking in a charging spot, a dick move.

Or the same as someone parking at the pumps while they get a breakfast roll made...

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Perhaps, but there is a difference, an EV in a ICE spot is not illegal (morals aside) but an ICE in an EV charging spot is illegal.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I was EV'ed myself yesterday when I needed to fill up the PHEV ... plenty of parking around but the pump near the door was obviously too tempting for 18 stone'ish woman who needed get her smokes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup. Felt great.

Though those who park in EV spots aren't typically in and out in a few minutes (since EV spaces are usually too far away for the convenience). Now parking at the pumps in an EV and going in for a bit of lunch, that's more of an apples to apples comparison. Maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

whippet wrote: »
    I was EV'ed myself yesterday when I needed to fill up the PHEV ... plenty of parking around but the pump near the door was obviously too tempting for 18 stone'ish woman who needed get her smokes
    Hey, we're not all whippets like you. Those multiple FCP stops (especially in the early days of leaf24s) really take the toll on the waistline!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I got fierce looks one day pulling into my local garage and pulling up to a pump in a Tesla……. Only to open the boot and fill up a jerry can with diesel…

I got fierce looks one day pulling into my local garage and pulling up to a pump in a Tesla……. Only to open the boot and fill up a jerry can with diesel…

I'm waiting for the video of someone trying to fill up an ICE car from an EV charger. One of those service station type layouts would be perfect for fooling someone

I remember a video a while back of someone trying to pump up their tyres with the CCS plug :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Lol you should have explained to them that in fact it was a Tesla Model REXES3XY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I'm waiting for the video of someone trying to fill up an ICE car from an EV charger. One of those service station type layouts would be perfect for fooling someone

An Irish video? :) Fill up with patience

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Audi E-Tron GT 1000km challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsq7Sp_YHo0

Very interesting video, looks like some of the Ionity chargers had some issues which slowed down the charging

Still managed an impressive time of 9:35, just 10 mins off the Kia Ceed PHEV

I'd recommend watching the end of the video where Bjorn talks about how fast an EV needs to be to beat an ICE car. He makes a great point that if an EV can do the challenge in around 10 hours then it really doesn't matter.

Unless you're planning on doing the Cannonball run and not sleeping for 20 hours then you'll need to take breaks, and when the car is waiting on the driver instead of the other way round then there's really no time impact from an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd recommend watching the end of the video where Bjorn talks about how fast an EV needs to be to beat an ICE car. He makes a great point that if an EV can do the challenge in around 10 hours then it really doesn't matter.

That's the bit I skipped to last night. And yes, this point can not be made strongly enough (particularly to people on the fence about going EV)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

It really amused me the rant about the chargers not delivering the full 250 kW and getting only 150kW. In the meantime were getting 22 kW @ selected locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Interesting article from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57253947

You'd never be able to do that here. Most Ionity stalls are limited to 150kW, theres only 2-3 I think that can actually deliver 350kW.

Your reality for the next 2+ years with an etron is that you'll be stuck with 50-150kW load balancing

innrain wrote: »
    It really amused me the rant about the chargers not delivering the full 250 kW and getting only 150kW. In the meantime were getting 22 kW @ selected locations.

2kW in selected locations, cheers eCars

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    2kW in selected locations, cheers eCars

I've never seen reports of a DC charger being restricted to 2kW that's a new one.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I've never seen reports of a DC charger being restricted to 2kW that's a new one.
    to be pedantic it would be the AC side of a DC unit eg the one in kells (the 44kW at the supervalu , not the 2 DC unit "hub")

liamog wrote: »

Neither the quoted post or mine mentioned DC, I think we all know we're talking about the 2X22 AC charge points that were converted to 44kW DC and 2kW-6kW AC.
    Depending on the EV/cable then the AC power will be restricted/limited to 2kW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://youtu.be/A4orCB71BgY

Ferrari SF90 v new Rimac Nevera: DRAG RACE *WORLD RECORD!!!*

Mat from CarWow....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

cannco253 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/A4orCB71BgY

Ferrari SF90 v new Rimac Nevera: DRAG RACE *WORLD RECORD!!!*

Mat from CarWow....

Watched it earlier. The "in gear" acceleration is phenomenal. Must be like being in a fighter jet!!

I have never wanted to spend €2mm which I dont have on an EV before... till now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

At this stage, a combustion engine in a supercar is just a gimmick that seems to be only there for the nice sound. It's become completely irrelevant for performance. In fact more of a hindrance. Thanks in no small measures to Mate Rimac. And of course Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Don't underestimate the amount of utter arseholes who love their cars to make noise.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the amount of utter arseholes who love their cars to make noise.

*sticks hand up*

I'm one of those

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There's a big difference between a V8 and a Ford fiesta with an exhaust kit

Advertisement