Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's a big difference between a V8 and a Ford fiesta with an exhaust kit

Naw, they're both pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MJohnston wrote: »
    Naw, they're both pointless!
    spoken like a true non car person!

ELM327 wrote: »
    spoken like a true non car person!

Spoken like someone who continually outpaces noisy cars in a near-silent EV

Spoken like someone who continually outpaces noisy cars in a near-silent EV
    So, same ar$eholery but different fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There's a big difference between a V8 and a Ford fiesta with an exhaust kit

I have to admit that the sound of an accelerating AMG 63 moves something in my core. A shitbox with a noisy exhaust... less so. :D

• Advertisement

I have to admit that the sound of an accelerating AMG 63 moves something in my core. A shitbox with a noisy exhaust... less so. :D

Two of the nicest sounding V8s out there, the maserati and mercedesAMG ones. IMO.

I'm a diesel fanboy for the most part but there's no beating the sound of a nice burbly V8.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    Neither the quoted post or mine mentioned DC, I think we all know we're talking about the 2X22 AC charge points that were converted to 44kW DC and 2kW-6kW AC.
    Depending on the EV/cable then the AC power will be restricted/limited to 2kW

I took it as the problems we're seeing in locations where the DC charger has been limited to around 22kW when it's advertised as 50kW or higher.

There is a big difference between a fast/high power charger under delivering and a charge point with an advertised rate that you disagree with.

There's a few people who like to misrepresent the improvement in DC charger coverage by ignoring the charger they can use centimetres away from the limited AC socket. Outside of the very small number of Zoe drivers it represents an improvement in geographic coverage for most.

So, same ar$eholery but different fuel?

Naw, it's not like I'm racing, it's just an unavoidable, innate quality of good EVs that they will accelerate quickly.

It's not the racing part that I think is arseholery anyway, it's the noise making, the intrusion on everybody else's aural space.

Definitely influenced by having to sleep with all the windows open last night and having to put up with some motorbike arseholes using the N11 as their race course.

Another reason to love the electric revolution!

I hate that alright, I've the same problem but you wouldnt expect it in the main street of Athboy. Tin can motorbikes racing through at 11pm is not the same as listening to a nice V8 during the day!

I hate that alright, I've the same problem but you wouldnt expect it in the main street of Athboy. Tin can motorbikes racing through at 11pm is not the same as listening to a nice V8 during the day!

I've just never understood the point. Noise = bad engineering.

• Advertisement

I mean, from an analytical perspective you are correct.
    Energy used to create noise is wasted efficiency.

However even in F1 with 50% thermal efficiency, still havent figured a way to remove the noise. And no one could say the noise of those bloated hybrid V6 engines was there for aural pleasure!

However even in F1 with 50% thermal efficiency, still havent figured a way to remove the noise.

They did, it's called Formula E ;)

People who enjoy the sound of an exhaust pipe roaring, will eventually be lumped into the same category as steam train enthusiasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

People who enjoy the sound of an exhaust pipe roaring, will eventually be lumped into the same category as steam train enthusiasts!

Fine by me. :D

I'm also one of those.

They did, it's called Formula E ;)
    There's still noise t here, it's just higher pitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How's about we all agree that one of the advantages of an EV is that you can fit a noise kit to make it sound like a V8, and turn it off when you don't want to hear it? :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Anyone wanna buy a battery company? Looks like VW might be spinning their battery division off into a seperate company

https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/01/volkswagen-considers-an-ipo-for-their-battery-division/

I'm tempted to send a link to Adverts.ie to Herbert Deiss and recommend he sells shares there :)

I assume if VW goes down this route then they'll effectively own the majority stake and make the decisions, other shares would just be for public trading

I guess there's some tax/legal/company structure logic to this that I don't pretend to understand or care about

There's one interesting tidbit about VW's truck division Traton (MAN/Scania) is planning to build 100% battery powered trucks for long distance haulage.

Apparently VW's 6 future battery plants won't have the capacity to supply this sector, so VW are looking to buy in batteries from other sources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

PodPoint at Hatfield Station

https://youtu.be/vvv0YYDyvgM

A friend of mine used this place the other day. Video isn't the best, but seeing 27 chargers in a row is impressive and one way of dealing with EVs. What's the biggest hub here for people getting a train into work - 2 chargers?

cannco253 wrote: »
    PodPoint at Hatfield Station

https://youtu.be/vvv0YYDyvgM

A friend of mine used this place the other day. Video isn't the best, but seeing 27 chargers in a row is impressive and one way of dealing with EVs. What's the biggest hub here for people getting a train into work - 2 chargers?

I'm guessing 2 chargers = 1 charging post wth 2 AC sockets?

I think Heuston has 2 charging posts, so can charge an eye watering 4 cars :rolleyes:

I think that makes it the biggest ESB hub until Mayfield opens

Also, I can't help but wonder at the logic of installing a bunch of AC chargers at the train station which is generally the end point of most commutes, rather than the starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Also, I can't help but wonder at the logic of installing a bunch of AC chargers at the train station which is generally the end point of most commutes, rather than the starting point

And have you been there? The charge points are a stiff walk away from the train station itself. In the opposite direction of the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How come kWh/100km seems to be the Irish default?

UK drivers seem to always use miles/kWh so surely km/kWh is an easier method?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We are in the EU. We use SI units and so l / 100km for fossil fuels in the past, now we use kWh / 100km for EVs

The UK do their own old imperial thing. Previously miles per gallon, now miles per kWh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

DrPhilG wrote: »

It depends what question you are trying to answer, do you want to know how far you can go on for a given amount of energy, or how much energy you need to go a given distance.

Most of the time when I'm going on a journey the destination and route are the known quantities, in which case energy use per km is the better metric (we then scale it to 100km to make the numbers friendlier).

As you start to get to large units mpg starts to become unintuitive, if I gave an average person the choice of upgrading a vehicle from 30mpg to 36mpg (using imperial MPG) or one from 60mpg to 90mpg which do you think would save you the most money on a journey from Dublin to Cork?
    The answer is that it's the same, when you express the efficiency in l/100km its more obvious, 9.4l/100km to 7.8l/100km vs 4.7l/100km to 3.1l/100km, either way you've reduced your fuel usage by 1.6l/100km

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

liamog wrote: »

As you start to get to large units mpg starts to become unintuitive, if I gave an average person the choice of upgrading a vehicle from 30mpg to 36mpg (using imperial MPG) or one from 60mpg to 90mpg which do you think would save you the most money on a journey from Dublin to Cork?

Someones been watching engineering explained :D

I use wh/km as that's what's in Tesla.
    I'd prefer miles per kwh

Personally I find kWh/100km quite easy. since the battery capacity is in kWh already I can guess the range based on the consumption

So, without using a calculator, if I'm getting 16.1kWh/100km, then 77/16 is something like 4.75
    4.75 * 100 give 475km of range

Wh/km I'd need to divide 77,000 by 160 which is more than my brain can handle

And I don't know what miles are anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm a km/kWh person in my soul. With the Ioniq (import) I was m/kWh. For me it was the easiest way of seeing how much range I had left in the battery, which is pretty much the only reason I ever care about efficiency.

I'm a km/kWh person in my soul. With the Ioniq (import) I was m/kWh. For me it was the easiest way of seeing how much range I had left in the battery, which is pretty much the only reason I ever care about efficiency.

I read that as metres per kWh, it'd be pretty shocking if you were only getting 4 metres per kWh :eek:

Dublin Bus going zero emission by 2050

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0603/1225756-dublin-bus/

Utterly pathetic :mad:

• Advertisement

So you prefer they not bother? Half a ciabatta is more than none

Advertisement