Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does anyone know how the range is calculated by the manufacturers of EVs.
    We all know that the stated fuel consumption figures for ICEVs are nowhere near what anyone actually gets in the real world. Is it the same with EVs?
    If I’m supposed to get, say, 400km on a full charge, does that mean with 2 adults and 2 kids and their assorted bits and pieces, or does it mean with one very small adult driving at a steady 40kph on perfectly surfaced flat roads in perfect weather conditions without using aircon or wipers or any electrically powered accessories?
    In other words does the 400 really mean 300 or 250 in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the range is calculated by the manufacturers of EVs.
    We all know that the stated fuel consumption figures for ICEVs are nowhere near what anyone actually gets in the real world. Is it the same with EVs?
    If I’m supposed to get, say, 400km on a full charge, does that mean with 2 adults and 2 kids and their assorted bits and pieces, or does it mean with one very small adult driving at a steady 40kph on perfectly surfaced flat roads in perfect weather conditions without using aircon or wipers or any electrically powered accessories?
    In other words does the 400 really mean 300 or 250 in the real world?

They use the WLTP test cycle

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Harmonised_Light_Vehicles_Test_Procedure

Basically they put the car on a rolling road and simulate various driving types until the battery is empty. They then calculate the amount of energy consumed and the battery capacity and that gives them the range

The main issue is that the test cycle focuses on a lot of urban style driving with low speeds and gentle acceleration, which leads to very optimistic range estimates. I suppose the testers can argue that we're driving the cars incorrectly :)

My ID.4 is supposed to get something like 500km WLTP range. I've found from driving around town in warm weather that 450km should be possible, so it isn't massively off target

Driving on a motorway definitely increase consumption, I'd probably get around 350km driving at motorway speeds, less in winter

So the range estimates are pretty optimistic, although not as bad as they used to be. If you want to get a good idea, take the WLTP and take about a third off and that's the worst case

Incidentally, it's the same test cycle used for ICE cars, hence why their fuel consumption figures are often way off as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as I am a fan of EVs, I think the current Renault advert for the Zoe is misleading.

In their advantages listed at the end, they state "no fuel costs".

Are they providing free electricity to charge it?

Technically electricity isn't a fuel cost it's an energy cost, so while it is somewhat misleading, it's unlikely someone would be able to report them for false advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as I am a fan of EVs, I think the current Renault advert for the Zoe is misleading.

In their advantages listed at the end, they state "no fuel costs".

Are they providing free electricity to charge it?

I believe they're giving 10,000km worth based on ecars pricing. Not sure how they're doing it, probably in the form of a discount on the price.

EDIT: It's 10K km per year for 3-years based on eCars SCP pricing. See here - https://www.renault.ie/closer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Popped into Ionity Gorey today on my way home from Gorey and there was a guy with a 2003 BMW plugged in getting a charge.

Would I be right in guessing this was some home project?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Popped into Ionity Gorey today on my way home from Gorey and there was a guy with a 2003 BMW plugged in getting a charge.

Would I be right in guessing this was some home project?

That'd be Damien Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

silver_sky wrote: »
    That'd be Damien Maguire

That's the car. He had the boot open there today so must have been monitoring something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I believe they're giving 10,000km worth based on ecars pricing. Not sure how they're doing it, probably in the form of a discount on the price.

EDIT: It's 10K km per year for 3-years based on eCars SCP pricing. See here - https://www.renault.ie/closer.html

My apologies to Renault!:o

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's the car. He had the boot open there today so must have been monitoring something.

Yeah he's been working on getting CCS DC fast charging up and running lately. So probably something related to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »
    How far does the i3 go with a full tank of fuel and fully charged battery?

Applying the usual caveat of heavy boot = crap range...

Full battery on the 94ah REx has got me as low as about 125km and as high as 185km (rare).

Add in 80-120km via REx and you have a starting range of about 200km to 300km depending on the conditions, and whether you drive it like you stole it.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Applying the usual caveat of heavy boot = crap range...

Full battery on the 94ah REx has got me as low as about 125km and as high as 185km (rare).

Add in 80-120km via REx and you have a starting range of about 200km to 300km depending on the conditions, and whether you drive it like you stole it.

Am I right in saying the Rex has 2 modes, 1 where it'll keep the battery charger and the other where it'll wait for the battery to drain before the Rex kicks in?

If so, then it seems the former would be better for long distance as it keeps the load on the Rex engine fairly constant rather than run it at full power when the battery is drained

Yeah he's been working on getting CCS DC fast charging up and running lately. So probably something related to that.

Sounds like a great thing to watch, from a distance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Am I right in saying the Rex has 2 modes, 1 where it'll keep the battery charger and the other where it'll wait for the battery to drain before the Rex kicks in?

Not modes as such, but you're right. You can activate manually, or wait for the car to turn it on.

When the REx is activated the generator will aim to maintain the battery at whatever % it is at.

If you don't manually activate it earlier it will kick in at around 7%.

So yes, on a long trip it's better to turn on the REx yourself before you hit 7% because if you're doing higher speed, the REx can't keep up and you'd end up dropping down to a few % at which point the battery would be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See Skoda EV advertised. Hadn't noticed before. I presume on the VW platform?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Water John wrote: »

Yes. All those VAG cars will be on the same MEB electric platform.

Water John wrote: »

Yep, all the following cars use the MEB platform:

VW ID.3 and 4
    Skoda Enyaq
    Audi Q4 E-Tron
    Cupra Born

Beyond the shell on top, the only difference is the number of battery modules and the motor power

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sat down here in Birdhill grabbing a charge before heading home, and on the way in/out of the shop grabbing coffee’s, saw no less that 7 diesel cars/SUV’s sat there idling away while their drivers were munching down their breakfast rolls…….

Fcuk Sake!!!! The sooner we ban those bloody things the better (yes, I also own a diesel car, but it now does less than 600km per year…..)

Sat down here in Birdhill grabbing a charge before heading home, and on the way in/out of the shop grabbing coffee’s, saw no less that 7 diesel cars/SUV’s sat there idling away while their drivers were munching down their breakfast rolls…….

Fcuk Sake!!!! The sooner we ban those bloody things the better (yes, I also own a diesel car, but it now does less than 600km per year…..)

Yeah saw one car at Lusk a few months ago with a massive cloud of smoke billowing out the exhaust, whole place stank of diesel

Definitely a particulate filter bypass job :rolleyes:

The driver was sitting there with his window open, he must have no sense of smell or something

• Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The reason they idle them? It's practically free. I worked out the cost.

My van uses 0.8l per hour of idling. that's €1.12 per hour or just under 2 cents per minute.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The reason they idle them? It's practically free. I worked out the cost.

My van uses 0.8l per hour of idling. that's €1.12 per hour or just under 2 cents per minute.

Yeah but do you really want to be stting there listening to the engine?

I guess the usual excuse is that they want to run the heating/air-con but surely they still work when the electrics are one?

(This should tell you how long it's been since I've owned an ICE car :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You don't hear the engine. Mine's so old it has no turbo, no direct injection etc. Need the car on to run the AC etc. It was better when we had the prius as the engine wouldnt be on (but would cut in when needed).

Of course the best was sitting in my tesla with Netflix on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm stopping there in around 30 minutes. I'll be more interested to see if and how many ICE cars are parked in the bays.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm stopping there in around 30 minutes. I'll be more interested to see if and how many ICE cars are parked in the bays.

Surprisingly none when I was there this morning, but on Sunday there was a guy in a Transit van idling away blocking 2 Supercharger spots, billowing smoke out towards us…

555314.jpeg

Surprisingly none when I was there this morning, but on Sunday there was a guy in a Transit van idling away blocking 2 Supercharger spots, billowing smoke out towards us…

555314.jpeg

I think we have a new picture definition for asshole :mad:

I'd say he was definitely doing that deliberately, you'd have to be so blind you couldn't drive to miss the chargers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You gotta realise that there are folk out there that just don't give a sh1t

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

A Yaris in one spot and a Corolla in another. I parked nice and tight to the Corolla (he's still in it) but the brain power I'd say is low in this one.

555314.jpeg

My inner arsehole would have come in to play there and I would have reversed up nice and tight and then blared the horn for him to move so I could charge.

A Yaris in one spot and a Corolla in another. I parked nice and tight to the Corolla (he's still in it) but the brain power I'd say is low in this one.

And a Mondeo has pulled in to one now. That's 4 vehicles in 8 dedicated EV points and one is electric!!

My inner arsehole would have come in to play there and I would have reversed up nice and tight and then blared the horn for him to move so I could charge.

…. Tell him Tesla told me to charge at the one that he’s blocking…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll leave this here, first time I was at Ballacolla :p

555334.jpg

Advertisement