Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

mfceiling wrote: »
    If anyone would like to give me a million I'll take it!!

Wife is convinced that the council will put chargers on the street lamps in the next couple of years. She hasn't a clue.

I reckon you could take the council to court under the climate action bill for preventing you from being environmentally responsible

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think I saw some house in South Dublin installed a turntable so they could have a driveway

If you've a spare million that's an option :)

Probably would use as much leccy to operate that as to charge the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Duckjob wrote: »
    Probably would use as much leccy to operate that as to charge the car :D

Done a quick search, 240 v system the one I was looking at. so I doubt it would use that much electricity, balanced on a big bearing, a good push would turn it without electric.

I seen a price for 15000 euro installed. DIY options also.

Then there is cheap, https://www.iedepot.ie/car-wheel-dollies/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj8nhn46L8QIVA-ztCh1uewiDEAQYAiABEgKEc_D_BwE

Not practical. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Could you not run a granny charger out to the car easily enough? How wide is the footpath outside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So we've bought a house in Dublin 6 with on street parking and no chance of the planning being permitted to convert the garden into a driveway (estate agent says no chance).

Approximately 1 year of renovations needed so anyone who wants to buy a low mileage model 3 performance in a year drop me a PM!!

Back to diesel.

Is there a CCS fast charger near you? Tesla Sandyford has got planning permission granted for a supercharger. For sure it will be up and running within a year. That's about a 15 min drive from you off peak? Your range is what, 400km? So you charge say once a week (when not on longer trips)?

Instead of losing a lot on your car in depreciation (and going back to 20th century motoring :p) would you not give that a try to see if it's workable?

Of course a SuC is several times more expensive than charging up at night rate at home, but still a good bit cheaper than petrol / diesel. Or could you get work charging? The last 6-12 months before COVID hit, every car park in every business park seemed to get a charger or two, this will keep continuing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was at the Cliff's of Moher on Monday, and the guy checking us into the carpark immediately recognised the car as a Tesla so we had a brief chat about EV's (his friend had just recently collected an ID.4). I mentioned that a place like the Cliff's carpark would be an ideal spot for a bank of EV chargers, and he said that a plan was actually in the works to do just that.... so watch this space...

Would make absolute sense for the likes of any touristy attraction type place where folks could easily spend 1-4 hours to have EV chargers there to attract folk in from afar..

Relatively low cost to to install (chargers are free from Tesla), and potentially opening up to more visitors, and for longer periods if the carrot of free charging is dangled, and even if not free, still a great plus if it means people don't need to stop en-route for a charge...

Guarantee if I was at a place where I could spend multiple hours touristing and charge for free, I'd stay longer if it meant not having to fast charge en route. Consequently I'd likely spend more at said tourist destination (food, tours etc). There's a limit to how long I'd stay though. Don't understand why businesses aren't catching onto this. Fota wildlife is one I regular think should suss this out.

IKEA and their 7kW unit comes to mind. It's not free, it's costly (after 2 hours) and it's slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I would be optimistic about it. If any consolation I have 2 EVs and no home charger. Recently got fast charger @work and even if is 6-8 times more expensive than for others @home it is still fine. In a year time the demand would be so high that the networks will pick up. Funny bit after two years the property management approached me to restart disussions about charger installation. Turned out one member was heavily opposing but recently sold. Amazes me how these decisions can be left to personal opinion. Who knows maybe DCC will do what Westminster borough does or maybe will take Amsterdam as model
    https://www.westminster.gov.uk/request-vehicle-charging-point
    https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/08/totalenergies-builds-2200-more-points-in-amsterdam/

Guarantee if I was at a place where I could spend multiple hours touristing and charge for free, I'd stay longer if it meant not having to fast charge en route. Consequently I'd likely spend more at said tourist destination (food, tours etc). There's a limit to how long I'd stay though. Don't understand why businesses aren't catching onto this. Fota wildlife is one I regular think should suss this out.

IKEA and their 7kW unit comes to mind. It's not free, it's costly (after 2 hours) and it's slow.

Glendalough and Powerscourt are two other obvious ones. You can easily spend half the day at either, enough to get a decent bit of charge on a 7kW unit

unkel wrote: »
    Is there a CCS fast charger near you? Tesla Sandyford has got planning permission granted for a supercharger. For sure it will be up and running within a year. That's about a 15 min drive from you off peak? Your range is what, 400km? So you charge say once a week (when not on longer trips)?

Instead of losing a lot on your car in depreciation (and going back to 20th century motoring :p) would you not give that a try to see if it's workable?

Of course a SuC is several times more expensive than charging up at night rate at home, but still a good bit cheaper than petrol / diesel. Or could you get work charging? The last 6-12 months before COVID hit, every car park in every business park seemed to get a charger or two, this will keep continuing

I'd agree, currently I only need to charge my ID.4ID.4 once a week, even if I was commuting to work. Model 3 performance should do even better

It's a hassle to live off public charging, but I'd give it a go for a few months before jumping back on the diesel train

And who knows, maybe complaining to the council about their hostile attitude towards EV charging will get some traction :)

MJohnston wrote: »
    Could you not run a granny charger out to the car easily enough? How wide is the footpath outside the house?

Some clown will trip over it and sue you

Best solution would be to park on the pavement right against the front gate, so no one can get past on the side with the charging cable :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Best solution would be to park on the pavement right against the front gate

I will remind you of the boards.ie charter, you cannot suggest people illegally park on the pavement.

liamog wrote: »
    I will remind you of the boards.ie charter, you cannot suggest people illegally park on the pavement.

Darn, my sinister plot has been foiled again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Probably about 6 or 7 foot. If someone tripped over it I'd be in bother!!

I'm probably being melodramatic to be honest. Just pīssed off that you try to do your bit to be a bit more environmentally friendly but the council are like "meh".

I looked into the charging from the lamppost idea and we have a grand total of.....1 in dun laoghaire.

I'm actually half tempted to get some sort of tall post and drop the cable from a height at the gate out to the car (subject to getting a park outside the house).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Some clown will trip over it and sue you

Best solution would be to park on the pavement right against the front gate, so no one can get past on the side with the charging cable :)

Used to love this type of thing when pushing a double buggy around. People in wheelchairs really appreciate it too.

This is my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

This is my problem.

That’s a very nice problem to have!

This is my problem.

Lovely house. I guess a long time ago a previous owner built a mews at the end of the garden and / or sold the land, so you have no lane way access round the back?

fits wrote: »
    Used to love this type of thing when pushing a double buggy around. People in wheelchairs really appreciate it too.

I was jesting of course, I find it annoying as well when that happens

Still, it's a good way to highlight how annoying it can be when authorities claim to be environmentally friendly but aren't doing anything about charging facilities

This is my problem.

I'm considerably less sympathetic all of a sudden ;)

• Advertisement

Lovely house. I guess a long time ago a previous owner built a mews at the end of the garden and / or sold the land, so you have no lane way access round the back?

It is a lovely house on the outside but it is falling to bits on the inside!!

Yes the previous owner built a mews so I have no access at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was there yesterday and there was an Outlander charging on my way in and a Leaf and Niro on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Glendalough and Powerscourt are two other obvious ones. You can easily spend half the day at either, enough to get a decent bit of charge on a 7kW unit

Glenveagh National Park in Donegal has slow chargers too I believe.

Probably about 6 or 7 foot. If someone tripped over it I'd be in bother!!

So IANAL etc etc but you can protect yourself from a lot of liability by taking reasonable steps to ensure people are aware of the trip hazard, and you're not leaving the cable there permanently. If it's an extension cord for a granny charger, rather than a thick Type 2 cable, it'll be easier to reduce the hazard. People trail hosepipes across the pavement all the time with little regard to liability.

You could throw down a high-vis, non-slip cable cover which isn't too prominent for people with reduced mobility. Here's an example of a UK council pragmatically recommending what to do:
    https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/electric-vehicles/ev-charging-guidance

Realistically, all DCC need to do here is allow property owners to create "cable channels" across pavements with some kind of removable cover.

you can protect yourself from a lot of liability by taking reasonable steps to ensure people are aware of the trip hazard, and you're not leaving the cable there permanently. If it's an extension cord for a granny charger, rather than a thick Type 2 cable, it'll be easier to reduce the hazard. People trail hosepipes across the pavement all the time with little regard to liability.

You could throw down a high-vis, non-slip cable cover which isn't too prominent for people with reduced mobility. Here's an example of a UK council pragmatically recommending what to do:
    https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/electric-vehicles/ev-charging-guidance

This is Ireland and people will sue you. Don't even think about running a cable to your car from your property.

Also, mfceiling, not to snoop, but that looks like a very quiet residential street — it's not like you're dealing with a huge amount of pedestrian traffic.

And you're quite close to Dundrum TC — just go do your weekly shopping there and get a charge from one of the many free chargers.

This is Ireland and people will sue you. Don't even think about running a cable to your car from your property.

People may try and sue you, that doesn't mean that they are even close to likely to win.

Consult with a lawyer (looks like you have the money to do so :pac:) and figure something out.

I'd also note mfceiling it looks like much more than just the one house on that street has turned their front garden into a driveway within the last 10 years (2009 Streetview shows no driveway, satellite map shows a driveway)

People may try and sue you, that doesn't mean that they are even close to likely to win.

Consult with a lawyer (looks like you have the money to do so :pac:) and figure something out.

I'd also note mfceiling it looks like much more than just the one house on that street has turned their front garden into a driveway within the last 10 years (2009 Streetview shows no driveway, satellite map shows a driveway)

One house on the row did it years ago and apparently it was refused to the rest afterwards.

It is a quiet residential road but there is a popular park opposite it and a busy gym around the corner.

I just wouldn't be comfortable running a cable across the path. It's Ireland and someone would fall over it!!

One house on the row did it years ago and apparently it was refused to the rest afterwards.

It is a quiet residential road but there is a popular park opposite it and a busy gym around the corner.

I just wouldn't be comfortable running a cable across the path. It's Ireland and someone would fall over it!!

There's definitely at least two properties on your street that didn't have driveways in 2009 and do now.

But if you're not willing or able to go that route, or the others, Dundrum Town Centre is probably your new best friend.

Parking is free until 10:30am on weekdays, and you can get €3 discount on your Tesco shopping if you have a parking ticket (no matter which time of day). Lots of chargers, including 4 x 22kW eCars spaces. If you time it right, you'll basically get your money back on cost of the eCars chargers.

Place is also generally dead before 9:30am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'd agree, currently I only need to charge my ID.4ID.4 once a week, even if I was commuting to work. Model 3 performance should do even better

My charge last night from 30% lasted a grand total of 40 minutes. At this rate I'll be charging every day.

Advertisement