Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My charge last night from 30% lasted a grand total of 40 minutes. At this rate I'll be charging every day.

So my statement that the M3 should do better was definitely correct :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

mfceiling wrote: »
    One house on the row did it years ago and apparently it was refused to the rest afterwards.

It is a quiet residential road but there is a popular park opposite it and a busy gym around the corner.

I just wouldn't be comfortable running a cable across the path. It's Ireland and someone would fall over it!!
    If you only had it down for 5 minutes someone would fall over it, people claim for anything,sure the lawyers are even advertising for claims

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Is Birdhill a problem spot because all the superchargers I've seen are never ICEd?

I've never seen the SuC at Birdhill badly ICE'd. The odd car/van there now & again, but the chargers are far enough away from the store entrance with plenty of parking.
    The 2x free 50kW Applegreen chargers are busy though - they're to introduce charging for those soon, I'm reliably informed.

Cashel Ionity - now that's ICEing heaven :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is there an app that shows all chargers close by? Serious lack of 50Kw ESB chargers

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is there an app that shows all chargers close by? Serious lack of 50Kw ESB chargers

The ESB charger app? Plugshare m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The ESB charger app? Plugshare m

Using the ESB one and they've only one 50Kw charger near me. Am wondering does anyone else have one. I'll look into plugshare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Watched the latest Rsymons video on YouTube earlier.

He was driving the new Polestar and was stopping for a charge. Complained that the car showed him 3 chargers which were "only" 50kw and he couldn't figure out why it showed him "slow" chargers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats how far the UK are from us now. They have ubiquitous 50kW chargers (I've seen people just pull in to random MSAs assuming they have FCP) and a splattering of 150-350kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/avolon-in-2bn-electric-aircraft-bet-1.4590128

Not a 4 wheel car but still an electric vehicle, big money behind this.

How about having your own EVTOL airplane in the drive?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats how far the UK are from us now. They have ubiquitous 50kW chargers (I've seen people just pull in to random MSAs assuming they have FCP) and a splattering of 150-350kW.

Not to mention well north of 600 Tesla superchargers and installs left, right and centre ongoingly

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

UK market has been good for a few years, though their MSA infrastructure was weak due to the electric highway exclusivity agreement. Now that Gridserve have bought it off Ecotricity they plan to do an overhaul and improve it dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Their SuC network is really well covered. I remember collecting my S in manchester and seeing the amount of SuC sites on the map vs what we have here and being shocked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So much so they've gone to dynamic pricing now in high demand locations, you pay more at peak, less at night etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/business/money-report/apple-hires-bmw-veteran-in-latest-sign-of-electric-car-push/3101141/

Thats a significant hire coming from Canoo and BMW i3 program.

It will be interesting what they eventually come up with... wont be cheap of course, but they certainly have the money, scale and manufacturing know-how to deliver something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not just "from" the BMW i team, but actually having led it for a decade until the policies of that imbecile Harald Krüger bullied him away.

Wonder what Apple is up to. Surely it must want to make an EV, not just software. Interesting times!

KCross wrote: »
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/business/money-report/apple-hires-bmw-veteran-in-latest-sign-of-electric-car-push/3101141/

Thats a significant hire coming from Canoo and BMW i3 program.

It will be interesting what they eventually come up with... wont be cheap of course, but they certainly have the money, scale and manufacturing know-how to deliver something good.

I think you mean:

know-how to deliver something expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭McGiver

Sat down here in Birdhill grabbing a charge before heading home, and on the way in/out of the shop grabbing coffee’s, saw no less that 7 diesel cars/SUV’s sat there idling away while their drivers were munching down their breakfast rolls…….

Fcuk Sake!!!! The sooner we ban those bloody things the better (yes, I also own a diesel car, but it now does less than 600km per year…..)

This should be made an offence. It's an offence in the UK and in most Cont Europe to be idle your engine.
    Especially near schools it should be banned, under a very harsh fine. Diesel is poison and idling is disgraceful. One of the local bad habits. Because it never occurred the legislators to ban it.

Yeah I love it when people complain about the UK network

They should come here and see what we have to deal with

Having said that today I charged for 10 mins at Coynes Cross, didn't need to queue and barely had time enough for a bathroom break and to get a drink

Cost me less than a cup of coffee as well, whereas the ICE drivers were putting a decent night out into their fuel tanks :p

I was at the Cliff's of Moher on Monday, and the guy checking us into the carpark immediately recognised the car as a Tesla so we had a brief chat about EV's (his friend had just recently collected an ID.4). I mentioned that a place like the Cliff's carpark would be an ideal spot for a bank of EV chargers, and he said that a plan was actually in the works to do just that.... so watch this space...

Would make absolute sense for the likes of any touristy attraction type place where folks could easily spend 1-4 hours to have EV chargers there to attract folk in from afar..

Relatively low cost to to install (chargers are free from Tesla), and potentially opening up to more visitors, and for longer periods if the carrot of free charging is dangled, and even if not free, still a great plus if it means people don't need to stop en-route for a charge...

Absolutely. Been saying that.
    The whole Wild Atlantic Way, all the tourist spots should all have AC chargers. At least.

If they do it at the Cliffs I'm sure someone will push them to buy some fancy 2x22 kW chargers which are pointless. 4x11 kW is what they need instead. Multiply it by how much money and power they can invest. But it's double the bang for the same buck.

unkel wrote: »
    This is Ireland and people will sue you. Don't even think about running a cable to your car from your property.

In the UK bmw i3 forum they showed the extension cable over a public pavement and they said it was common. No legal issues.

Different culture though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

McGiver wrote: »
    The whole Wild Atlantic Way, all the tourist spots should all have AC chargers. At least.

If they do it at the Cliffs I'm sure someone will push them to buy some fancy 2x22 kW chargers which are pointless. 4x11 kW is what they need instead. Multiply it by how much money and power they can invest. But it's double the bang for the same buck.
    The problem with 11kW 3 phase is that is carrying 16A and a single ph car would charge with only 3.6kW So the cheaper solution is to provision 32A per phase which goes to 22kW in theory barely used at 100% the best would be to have a load balancing central system that will optimize the charging. When if ever will get to this point in Ireland remains to be seen.
    As it stands we're overcharged for everything EV related. I bought an industrial 10m 3ph 32A extension lead for about 100 quid. The equivalent type2 cable is triple.
    https://ie.farnell.com/brennenstuhl/1167970/extension-cable-ip44-10m-black/dp/3375204?st=32%20a%203phase%2010%20m

They don't want to put bins or porta-loos your chance of chargers are slim, existing petrol station chains will be the likely solution ,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People getting a free charge, will tend to stay somewhere longer providing that place is a nice place to be, and has amenities like snacks and toilets......

No garage/petrol station is a nice place to be..... (though having visited J14/Mayfield on Tuesday, it's actually a really nice MSA).

Another place ideal for it would be Tayto Park, a bank of 10 7kW chargers there would see fantastic use, and encourage folk to visit from beyond their round trip range if they knew they could hook up for 3-4 hours and get 28kWh of juice..... People would stay longer and spend more money... chargers would pay for themselves within days of being installed..

10 chargers at say €500 each (or 5 twin plug chargers), and they probably have their own in house lecky's to install them, and even if not, you're probably talking less than a grand per charger.... peanuts to a place like Tayto Park... pre-book them for a nominal fee of €5, and use them for the duration of your stay at the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In the UK bmw i3 forum they showed the extension cable over a public pavement and they said it was common. No legal issues.

As a former UK citizen, I would say the UK is far more litigious than Ireland, but it's been over 15 years since I lived there.

It's definitely illegal, whether it's tolerated or not is up for debate. I'd say it's one of those situations where authorities won't actually do anything about it until someone falls over and starts threatening legal action

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's definitely illegal, whether it's tolerated or not is up for debate. I'd say it's one of those situations where authorities won't actually do anything about it until someone falls over and starts threatening legal action

Can you point to the law that says that this is definitely illegal? It's definitely not in certain councils in the UK

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What about one of these?

555655.jpeg

What about one of these?

555655.jpeg

They'll go down to the edge and fall over it,you'd need warning signs for 10 metres before the cable and possibly flashing beacons, it's mad what people will claim for,

MJohnston wrote: »
    As a former UK citizen, I would say the UK is far more litigious than Ireland, but it's been over 15 years since I lived there.

Payouts would be smaller

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Can you point to the law that says that this is definitely illegal? It's definitely not in certain councils in the UK

I can't, but I did some googling and basically the first thing that came up was a discussion on speak EV. Someone pointed out a law that basically says you can't have a cable across a public road or path, you need to close off that section of pathway

Advertisement