Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I can't, but I did some googling and basically the first thing that came up was a discussion on speak EV. Someone pointed out a law that basically says you can't have a cable across a public road or path, you need to close off that section of pathway

That's an international forum, was it a discussion about Irish law? Edit: I'm not trying to 'gotcha' you here, I'm genuinely just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's an international forum, was it a discussion about Irish law? Edit: I'm not trying to 'gotcha' you here, I'm genuinely just curious

No, it was specifically UK law, but our government seem to generally just copy everything they do anyway

I think I looked it up for Ireland and it's the same story, but I honestly can't tell you where I found it. It might have even been over in the DIY forums :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

On the subject of charge points and cables, has anyone done anything on their drive to avoid those sorts of issues? I was thinking some glow tape or something on the cable. Will have to do something to block people crossing from neighbours (e.g. post, courier) as they'd cross the cable. There's no wall between the driveways unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm amazed that nobody has launched themselves over a public charging cable for the purpose of a claim.

There aren't any signs up warning people of a potential trip hazard or anything so I thought it would be an easy target.

No matter how hard you try there is always a bit of hanging cable at either the charger or car end.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm amazed that nobody has launched themselves over a public charging cable for the purpose of a claim.

There aren't any signs up warning people of a potential trip hazard or anything so I thought it would be an easy target.

No matter how hard you try there is always a bit of hanging cable at either the charger or car end.

Had AC charging from eCars remained free, I was going to invest in a spring/coiled Type 2 Cable for when parked with the charge port next to the charge unit so as to minimise the cable being on the ground, and keeping its overalls length as short as possible while in use…

• Advertisement

silver_sky wrote: »
    On the subject of charge points and cables, has anyone done anything on their drive to avoid those sorts of issues? I was thinking some glow tape or something on the cable. Will have to do something to block people crossing from neighbours (e.g. post, courier) as they'd cross the cable. There's no wall between the driveways unfortunately.

We park the car a little further over so that people tend to just walk on the other side to the cable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hyundai Ionic having another recall. This time they are replacing the battery, ouch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Water John wrote: »
    Hyundai Ionic having another recall. This time they are replacing the battery, ouch.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058163405

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gorgeous! Done by the crowd in Wales behind "Vintage Voltage" - we have a thread about them on this forum

VW T7 7 seater now available as a PHEV

https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/11/vw-presents-plug-in-hybrid-t7-van/

Looks great, but a 13kWh battery in a heavy van? You'll be doing well to get out of the driveway with that :(

Too bad they couldn't have used the 35kWh battery from the E-Golf and added CCS fast charging
    It's make a pretty good taxi or minibus then

Anyway, bring on the ID. Buzz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had to travel north today to get my rental property ready for sale.
    Met my uncle there (mid 70's). He was painting inside.

"What's that yoke"

"Tesla"

"Never heard of it'!!

Stopped at my local supermarket tonight and plugged in to the ESB charger. A lovely black ID3 charging beside me. Came out and the couple in the VW could not get the cable to unlock. Nothing was working. I had to Google to get him to push the brake, put it in drive then press unlock on his key. It worked!!

We had a good 10 minute chat about EV's. He was a diesel driver all his life and told me he'll never have an ICE vehicle again after driving an EV!!

Well in my utter despair at the bumbling stupidity of my local VW dealer cocking up my purchase, I went looking to see if there were any alternatives I could go for in order to tell them to shove their car up their ass.

And there really aren't many options that compare.

Model 3 still too expensive and lower range, plus no PCP option.

Kia more expensive due to the higher finance cost, lower range, and just a bit bland compared to the ID3.

Enyaq seems a lot more expensive for the 80kWh model, and a fair bit further from production.

Gutted to be honest. Haven't bought a new car in over 20 years and was so looking forward to collecting the ID3 next month. Now I almost feel like flushing the whole idea and keeping the i3.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Well in my utter despair at the bumbling stupidity of my local VW dealer cocking up my purchase, I went looking to see if there were any alternatives I could go for in order to tell them to shove their car up their ass.

And there really aren't many options that compare.

Model 3 still too expensive and lower range, plus no PCP option.

Kia more expensive due to the higher finance cost, lower range, and just a bit bland compared to the ID3.

Enyaq seems a lot more expensive for the 80kWh model, and a fair bit further from production.

Gutted to be honest. Haven't bought a new car in over 20 years and was so looking forward to collecting the ID3 next month. Now I almost feel like flushing the whole idea and keeping the i3.

What did they do this time?

You could do with your own thread at this rate Phil.

Edit: think it was silent running I was thinking if. Didn't he have to return his id3?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Well in my utter despair at the bumbling stupidity of my local VW dealer cocking up my purchase,

Has the dealer confirmed that it’s too late to fix the order? Presumably the car hasn’t been built.

Can they fix the paperwork and get the right car made?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »
    Has the dealer confirmed that it’s too late to fix the order? Presumably the car hasn’t been built.

Can they fix the paperwork and get the right car made?

Check the id3 thread. Right can can be ordered now, but talking October-Jan timeline

Edit, moving this rant to the ID3 page, no sense derailing this one. My moan here was about the lack of financially similar alternatives.

My issues with VW belong on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

What a right mess! you're right to pull them up on that and also give the opportunity to some other dealers. Hopefully someone will pull through and get what you ordered.

Pain in the arse that the Model 3 LR is so expensive, and don't offer PCP.

• Advertisement

Pain in the arse that the Model 3 LR is so expensive, and don't offer PCP.

You really need the range of the LR? The Model 3 is far more efficient than th EVs you have owned so far at motorway speeds. Have you driven one yet? PCP is not the only way of cheap finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agreed, the SR+ is a great car for what it is. Similar real world range to most older S85/90.

I've done a few motorway trips over the last few weeks, and my consumption @ 120km/h has been in or around 160Wh/km (16kWh/100km).

Thats giving me 300km of motorway range, and mine is the 409km WLTP 2020 version from Freemont. The WLTP now in the SR+ is 448km!!

When I'm driving around locally the last 2/3 months (50/60/80km/h roads around Fingal), my consumption figures are as low as 95Wh/km!! Thats putting me in 500+km range territory!!!

(I know if I was a Taxi Driver, and wanting to avail of that €20k grant for switching to an EV, I'd have no hesitation in getting an SR+ for the job... Go out every day and do 400-450km of work, charge at home, make fortune.)

The SR+ is incredibly efficient. Remember its only a 50kWh battery!!

I've done a few motorway trips over the last few weeks, and my consumption @ 120km/h has been in or around 160Wh/km (16kWh/100km).

The only other EV that can do that is the Hyundai Ioniq

Aerodynamics + efficient drivetrain can make up a lot for a relatively small battery...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    The only other EV that can do that is the Hyundai Ioniq

Aerodynamics + efficient drivetrain can make up a lot for a relatively small battery...

Missus had an Athlone to Mourne Mountains 492 motorway return trip last week (Newry to hike not motorway), the trip readings were 14.7 on the Kona

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

unkel wrote: »
    You really need the range of the LR? The Model 3 is far more efficient than th EVs you have owned so far at motorway speeds. Have you driven one yet? PCP is not the only way of cheap finance.

I think one of the big selling points was the 0% finance

Pretty hard to get cheaper finance than that, unless you can somehow appeal to the ECB for negative interest :)

slave1 wrote: »
    Missus had an Athlone to Mourne Mountains 492 motorway return trip last week (Newry to hike not motorway), the trip readings were 14.7 on the Kona

Not at 120km/h GPS speed though :D

You need Cd of max 0.24 or so for the above figures. Tesla claim the Model S plaid is just 0.208 now. I find it hard to believe they've managed to improve it that much from the original which had 0.24, but we'll see. Model 3 and Ioniq also have 0.24 afaik

but was that consumption at 120km/h? my figure above has been my consumption at 120 lately.

We did a ~600km trip last week to Limerick, North Kerry, Cliff's of Moher, Limerick, Dublin, and the average on the whole trip was about 145Wh/km

The 0% finance was the clincher, although at this stage I'll consider all options.

And yeah I do need the range of the LR. I have monthly 280-300km trips Donegal to the other side of Belfast and back. With the current scandalous condition of the network up there I can't guarantee being able to charge without issue so I need a car that can do a solid 300+km in any weather and motorway speed.

The Model 3 may be very efficient, and it's a fine looking wagon, but no way can it guarantee me that kind of mileage year round. EV Database reckons as low as 250km in winter and I generally do a lot worse than their scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What did they do this time?

You could do with your own thread at this rate Phil.

Edit: think it was silent running I was thinking if. Didn't he have to return his id3?

I was on the brink of rejecting the car due to issues with the software update, but I did the same as Phil and looked around at the possible replacement options. They weren't appealing, so I stuck it out.

I'm still working out the last physical issue (creak coming from the ID light area) but the software has been sorted by replacing the ICAS 1 module and, recently, the ICAS 3 module.

Advertisement