Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    EV Database reckons as low as 250km in winter and I generally do a lot worse than their scores.

not far off...

In a day back in February (0 degrees, wind, snow, rain, storm), I did a 686km drive from Dublin - Cork City - East Cork - Cork City - Dublin, and the average consumption for the whole trip was 196Wh/km (speed limits all the way)... so that particular day my range was roughly 255km...

Though with a SuperCharger on that particular route, range is irrelevant really (and about to be a little more so when the new SuC at Mahon Point comes on line).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    Not at 120km/h GPS speed though :D

You need Cd of max 0.24 or so for the above figures. Tesla claim the Model S plaid is just 0.208 now. I find it hard to believe they've managed to improve it that much from the original which had 0.24, but we'll see. Model 3 and Ioniq also have 0.24 afaik
    but was that consumption at 120km/h? my figure above has been my consumption at 120 lately.

We did a ~600km trip last week to Limerick, North Kerry, Cliff's of Moher, Limerick, Dublin, and the average on the whole trip was about 145Wh/km

True, can't be sure, wasn't in the car myself, I'd say maybe 110 on the speedo, still good going

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah so you sold the Leaf 30kWh and you now have Kona 64kWh and Tesla 85kWh. Nice! On this small island you'll barely ever have to worry about public charging...

Yep, sold at asking yesterday, I'd have kept it forever except herself picked up hiking over lockdowns and that's regular 350kms return trips and she (and I!!!) also hesitant on taking the Tesla up those tight roads and dodgy small car "parks" at foot of hills/"mountains"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh hello there — just got an email introducing their new "Time of Use" plans for customers with Smart Meters:
    Time-of-Use tariffs are a new way for homes with Smart Meters to pay for electricity. You pay different rates at different times of the day. By shifting when you use electricity, from more expensive to cheaper times, you can help the environment, because it will allow more electricity to come from renewable sources. This helps to lower your bill too.

Looks like it won't just be day and night tariffs, but Day, Night, and Peak. It looks like they're calling this "Home Connect": https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/all-energy-plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hard no.
    I will defend my day/night meter to the death

MJohnston wrote: »
    Oh hello there — just got an email introducing their new "Time of Use" plans for customers with Smart Meters:

Looks like it won't just be day and night tariffs, but Day, Night, and Peak. It looks like they're calling this "Home Connect": https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/all-energy-plans

That's the exact reason for the "Smart meters", reef us out of it from 5pm-7pm
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Hard no.
    I will defend my day/night meter to the death

100%, as long as my day/night is not defective I'll be politely refusing the Smart Meter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    That's the exact reason for the "Smart meters", reef us out of it from 5pm-7pm

Hey I'm happy with the idea of electricity prices following the market rates, forces people towards cheaper times when there's more renewables is use

Of course if it actually followed the market rate then there would be some cheaper times. Instead they basically made a more expensive time and didn't create a cheaper one to offset it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Of course if it actually followed the market rate then there would be some cheaper times. Instead they basically made a more expensive time and didn't create a cheaper one to offset it

Same here, I'd have no problem with the agile tariffs like the UK have, but the smart rates which have a more expensive night rate than a dumb day/night meter are just taking the mick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just got a letter to say they’d be installing smart meter in coming weeks. We are on a regular meter at the moment. I doubt I’ll be able to get a day night one now.

• Advertisement

If there were only to be 3 rates, they should be something like (all including VAT):

4c night rate for 9 hours
    12c day rate for 9 hours
    30-40c peak rate for 6 hours (and climbing every year)

Currently I'm paying 4.79c night rate and 16.8c day rate with Energia EV option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

They've changed them for the entire block of apartments and we didn't have a say. In fact we didn't know when they did it just got a letter thanking for "collaboration". Funny bit is that if I try to take a "smart" plan I'm told this is a standard meter. with the fixed time periods they are taking the piss of customers.

If there were only to be 3 rates, they should be something like (all including VAT):

12c day rate for 9 hours

Currently I'm paying 4.79c night rate and 16.8c day rate with Energia EV option

That's Ex-VAT I'm guessing? Price is going up by 10% next month I think :(

It'd be interesting to see what habits need to change to reduce that evening peak

The obvious one I can think of is try to get people to have their main meal at lunchtime so there's less cooking demand in the evenings.

Hot dinners in schools would help a lot with this as I think a lot of parents only have dinner in the evenings because that's the only time their kids can have dinner

I wonder would other things like moving sports matches 2 hours earlier have much effect. There's always those stories going around about ESB engineers dreading half time in the world cup final because everyone decides to boil their kettles at once

That's Ex-VAT I'm guessing? Price is going up by 10% next month I think :(

It'd be interesting to see what habits need to change to reduce that evening peak

No, it's including VAT. Prices fixed for a year too.

And the only thing that changes habits is a stick and carrot approach. Just make electricity at peak time very expensive and most people will change their behaviour

No, it's including VAT. Prices fixed for a year too.

And the only thing that changes habits is a stick and carrot approach. Just make electricity at peak time very expensive and most people will change their behaviour

I thought the discount percentage was fixed but not the price? So as the base price goes up and down, your discounted rate will also go up and down

If you've managed to get the unit rate locked in then I must get you to ring up energia on my behalf next time :)

No my rates are fixed. I posted them up for someone else here a few weeks ago. Like yourself, first he didn't believe my prices included VAT and then he didn't believe my rates were fixed :p

556064.jpg

4.79c night and 16.64c day. Including VAT. Fixed for the year (contract started a few months ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For comparison, the new smart Home Connect rates:

Day: 15.65
    Night: 11.18
    Peak: 16.40

Honestly, with both me and my wife working from home now, it might actually be cheaper for us to have the slightly lower day rate. Especially as peak is only 5 to 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

12c day rate for 9 hours

That's quite a big stick you're wielding there & really hammering working families whose lives revolve around Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 working, with kids home from school in the evenings too, needing to be fed, showered & entertained etc.

Could we not just invest in more renewables & produce more "green" energy at peak times, rather than screw over those who have little choice?

In other words, a carrot?

We have close to the highest energy prices in the EU already, highest taxes, highest mortgage rates, highest rents......the list goes on......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

fits wrote: »
    I just got a letter to say they’d be installing smart meter in coming weeks. We are on a regular meter at the moment. I doubt I’ll be able to get a day night one now.

Ring up your provider and request a day night, theyll change it to a day night and won't put you on a smart meter - worst case is that they is that they refuse,

Best case you get to keep the day night

Kramer wrote: »
    We have close to the highest energy prices in the EU already

People keep saying that and if it were true, I agree with your sentiments. Is it true though? A typical 24h electricity price of 13c/kWh incl. VAT is quite good compared to many other EU countries surely? In many of them you pay 25c-30c per kWh, so we have plenty of stick left (and our carrots are already way too generous - e.g. thousands of euro subsidy on a PV install, etc.)

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    We have close to the highest energy prices in the EU already
    People keep saying that and if it were true, I agree with your sentiments. Is it true though?

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/gas-electricity/irish-electricity-prices-fourth-most-expensive-in-eu/

We should have far more renewables given what we pay IMO & far, far more chargers too................if you build it they will come.

We're laggards as usual but great for levies & taxes.

It's actually quite depressing when you see what other countries do, all the while we have a "green" transport & energy minister.
    Dublin buses - diesel until 2050 :rolleyes:.

Yeah I have seen those stats, but they make no sense to me. They state a typical price for a unit in Ireland is about 25c/kWh. Any eejit that pays that deserves to get hit with a massive stick :p

13c/kWh is a good rate, better than most EU countries

Totally agree with the rest of your post though. Ireland is the best country in the world for wind energy. We should already be producing 150-200% of our total annual electricity needs through wind, and aiming to reach about 300-400% within a decade

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Certainly when you look at the Eurostat dataset for domestic energy prices Ireland is the 4th highest in Europe.
    https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/infographs/energy_prices/enprices.html

I wonder if our prices are distorted due to the practice of vendor discounting.

liamog wrote: »
    I wonder if our prices are distorted due to the practice of vendor discounting.

That's probably what it is, Liam. I have no other explanation for it. Surely most people shop around for the best rate every year, about 13c/kWh incl VAT at the moment and has been similar enough for the last 10 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://electrek.co/2021/06/16/tesla-talks-open-supercharger-network-other-automakers-germany/

Pie in the sky ? I’m sure Tesla owners wouldn’t be too happy about it if it happened.

Surely most people shop around for the best rate every year

I bet they don't! I reckon a minority do & the plethora of tariffs/discounts/cashbacks etc. are designed to obfuscate & confuse too.

Companies want to maximise profits, not save consumers money. Our government seems to want to follow suit - maximise taxes.

Anyway, just as all hope begins to ebb away & you're down to turtle mode with 2% remaining, you stumble across a handy free energy source......

TNJFA0H.jpg

Not a single Type 2 socket on the darn thing :D.
    Awesome soundtrack though.......woof......woof.....woof.....woof.....

cannco253 wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2021/06/16/tesla-talks-open-supercharger-network-other-automakers-germany/

Pie in the sky ? I’m sure Tesla owners wouldn’t be too happy about it if it happened.

I actually hope this happens, and that Tesla charge around 80c/kWh for non signed up manufacturers, mainly just to shut up the Tesla owners who intentionally misrepresent the Ionity business model.

Plus I'd also be happy paying 80c/kWh when I was stuck and needed a charge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

cannco253 wrote: »

Electrek have an amazing ability to write an entire article about a single fart by Elon or anyone mentioning Tesla. In this case, a politician claims to be talking to vendors such as Tesla about an interoperable network. I’m sure German politicians are prone to talking for the sake of their public image, just like ours are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

liamog wrote: »
    I actually hope this happens, and that Tesla charge around 80c/kWh for non signed up manufacturers, mainly just to shut up the Tesla owners who intentionally misrepresent the Ionity business model.

Plus I'd also be happy paying 80c/kWh when I was stuck and needed a charge :D

I suppose they could "do an Ionity" if they were forced to open the network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supercharger-all-ev-compatibility-andreas-scheuer/

Well the technoking himself has already stated it back in December.

“Tesla Superchargers are being made accessible to other electric cars.”

Advertisement