Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

graememk wrote: »
    Gotta leave room for people to park on the footpath of course!?

Yeah I was gonna say that is the best parked Audi I've ever seen, it'll be parked halfway across the kerb as soon as the cameras leave :D

Speaking of Audi's, I see the PHEVs are blocking the chargers again ;)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Redfox25 wrote: »
    or open car doors so they cant hit the charger and claim from the council.
    If they were on the side of the parking area, some numpty would clip one some day and knock the power off from the series of them.

Easy enough to solve that one, just place the chargers on the kerb between the marked spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Speaking of chargers in dubious places, has the EasyGo/eir thing been quietly been swept under the carpet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Speaking of Audi's, I see the PHEVs are blocking usingthe chargers again ;)

fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

JohnC. wrote: »
    Speaking of chargers in dubious places, has the EasyGo/eir thing been quietly been swept under the carpet?

No comment from EasyGo when I asked about this a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    fixed that for you ;)

Sure we don't even kinow if that's a PHEV, probably a diesel Audi with the other end of the plug stuck in the fuel cap

Looking at those chargers, where did they get them? They look like they've been there for the past 50 years, how did they managed to make them look wrecked on the first day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

When you hear EIR, just run away,

We'll have the national broadband plan and the new maternity hospital finished before that gets done I'll wager :(

innrain wrote: »
    Actually there are no less than 13 sockets or charging points in Dundrum
    4 level 2M Red ecars
    7 level 2 Red podpoint free to charge
    2 a garo unit free to charge

First long journey tomorrow as schools are now closed and might be in Dublin.
    Just coming back to the Dundrum chargers am I right in thinking that the eCars x4 are 22kW, while the 7x PodPoint and 2x Garo are 7kW?

I've no problem paying for 22kW on eCars where they show as active, but Plughshare has them as under repair from being fenced off even though there seem to be plenty of recent checkins. Anyone know how PlugShare updates sites that are marked as not working, can any user mark it back as in use or do you have to request admin to correct it?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cannco253 wrote: »
    Just coming back to the Dundrum chargers am I right in thinking that the eCars x4 are 22kW, while the 7x PodPoint and 2x Garo are 7kW?

I've no problem paying for 22kW on eCars where they show as active, but Plughshare has them as under repair from being fenced off even though there seem to be plenty of recent checkins. Anyone know how PlugShare updates sites that are marked as not working, can any user mark it back as in use or do you have to request admin to correct it?

Plugshare data is user driven. If they're available to use, update the site... Add some pics... Leave a comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

See the interview yesterday on EV Review Ireland YouTube channel with Chris of EasyGo. He mentions we'll see a lot of movement in the next few months from them. They're also in discussions with councils in tandem and will start hiring more staff themselves. Sounds promising.

https://youtu.be/naP5A56GRTI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The car park was fenced off during the lockdown. I used them since so your good. Busy though. Ecars on level 2M and pod point level 2. Users on plugshare keep messsing them up a bit.

Thanks innrain

eCars 2M plug B worked after second attempt at connecting. As someone else mentioned the unit location is a bit strange with the huge pillar in the way. No problem for me reversing in with the chargeport on the rear driver side though. 2 hours later and we were on our way again, there's only so much of the shops I can take before needing to hit the road. I've emailed Plugshare to get it updated on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Any know the details of the EasyGo charges? Do they have a monthly or annual membership charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Any know the details of the EasyGo charges? Do they have a monthly or annual membership charge?

Best thing to do is download their app. You can then filter the different speeds and prices. They will send you out a fob (Was free, not sure if still is), which will allow you to start the free charge points. If you want to use a non-free charge point then you will need to put credit in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I’m sure this is covered somewhere but can’t find it in a sticky. What are the essential apps to download as an EV owner? I’ve downloaded PlugShare and eCars.

remoteboy wrote: »
    I’m sure this is covered somewhere but can’t find it in a sticky. What are the essential apps to download as an EV owner? I’ve downloaded PlugShare and eCars.

- A better route planner (ABRP)
    - You might need EasyGo if you're planning on using their chargers
    - Plugsurfing, Zap Map, Charge Map and ChargePoint are good if travelling abroad since they have access to list charging networks (although not always the best prices)
    - Whatever app you need to interact with your car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

remoteboy wrote: »

The raisin covered the essentials, I'd add Needtocharge App if you're going to be using the public infrastructure.

Means that if you're away from the car, others can contact you to check when you're due back.

Basically an easier method than leaving a note or a phone number.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/government-s-electric-car-plans-are-fundamentally-flawed-says-leading-dealer-1.4603576

“We are importing high-emitting used vehicles, completely negating the acceleration of battery electric vehicles we see in 2021. To the end of May, there were 3,951 EVs registered while 22,152 used cars more than four years old were imported. This is caused by increased prices caused by increased taxation caused by fundamentally flawed Government policy and Brexit,” said Murphy. “If a consumer could afford to spend €10,000 on a car last year, that got them a three-year-old car; this year it gets them a five-year-old car. If this trend continues, our emissions from cars will increase, not reduce, and the answer is less taxation not more. Affordability is key to the car market and the car market is key to reducing emissions.”

What does €10,000 buy you in the used EV market these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A leaf 30 with some Unkel style negotiation.

You'd need 14-15 to start looking at Ioniq28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

This definitely hasn't been fixed
    I was charging in Longford recently and had left the charging area to bring my dog for a comfort break

Came back, would have only been gone 10 mins, and a leaf had plugged in and knocked me off

Luckily I only needed a quick top up to get me to my destination and the guy had a little new baby with him so I left him in peace

It was a 202 Leaf so it is likely he hasn't used the public network much and is totally unaware of the issue, I would have been if I didn't read about it here, I have only just recently used public chargers for the first time recently myself

I wasn't aware of that either. I've only used the fast DC chargers a few times in the last year that I've owned my Leaf, and I've never plugged in when there was someone else already using one as I thought it simply wouldn't work. Didn't realise it actually would turn the other guy off.

I'm making a trip this weekend from Limerick to Cork. 40kW Leaf, and the journey is exactly 100km from door to door. I'm going to find out if the Leaf can do this in one charge. The road is slow, so I won't be doing over 100km/h, and average speed will be something like 75km/h, so I think I'll get about 220-230km on a full charge. At least there's a DC charger at Blackpool on the way out of Cork so I can top up if I've used more than, or very close to 50% on the way down.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/government-s-electric-car-plans-are-fundamentally-flawed-says-leading-dealer-1.4603576

“We are importing high-emitting used vehicles, completely negating the acceleration of battery electric vehicles we see in 2021. To the end of May, there were 3,951 EVs registered while 22,152 used cars more than four years old were imported. This is caused by increased prices caused by increased taxation caused by fundamentally flawed Government policy and Brexit,” said Murphy. “If a consumer could afford to spend €10,000 on a car last year, that got them a three-year-old car; this year it gets them a five-year-old car. If this trend continues, our emissions from cars will increase, not reduce, and the answer is less taxation not more. Affordability is key to the car market and the car market is key to reducing emissions.”

What does €10,000 buy you in the used EV market these days?

Capitalism hard at work as always :)

The problem isn't affordability, at least for car manufacturers anymore. They can buy batteries and build EVs at near cost parity to ICE card, within a few years it'll be cheaper to build an EV

The problem as always is supply and demand. Demand for EVs is so strong that basically every car produced is being sold. If you're selling everything you make for €30k or more then there isn't much reason to drop prices

While I'm no fan of VRT, I don't think the government can realistically influence car manufacturers much. If for example VRT was dropped to 0 on all EVs then that would drop the price by a couple of thousand on a new EV.

Would real prices drop by the same amount? No, the dealership would drop prices by maybe 500 and make some more money

Until someone comes here and starts selling EVs to under 20k new then there's going to be no incentive for others to do the same

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

While I'm no fan of VRT, I don't think the government can realistically influence car manufacturers much. If for example VRT was dropped to 0 on all EVs then that would drop the price by a couple of thousand on a new EV.

Well for cars under 40k the vrt is 0,

There is then a tapered vrt relief up to 50k. (Of the open market selling price, OMSP)

The on the road price, already includes the vrt, so it still comes into play for cars that has a on the road price of more than 50k

So by 0% the VRT on EVS wont make much if any difference, (well lots of difference on the 100k cars.. but yeah)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

This really sounds like the complaining from vested interests. Reminds me of opinion columns from "savvy investors" about the property market circa 2007. He's arguing for a slow transition utilising the "emission reduction capability of hubrids and PHEVs". We know their emissions reductions are dependent on consumer behaviour and lots of PHEVs that got grants are being driven around on dino juice only.

IT publishing a lot of stories recently about EVs, electricity supply and the environment. Here's another one from today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/electricity-supply-concerns-spark-emergency-plans-for-dublin-1.4608199

Scaremongering or real?

I wonder how long it will be before people start blaming "all those electric cars" for some of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

IT publishing a lot of stories recently about EVs, electricity supply and the environment. Here's another one from today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/electricity-supply-concerns-spark-emergency-plans-for-dublin-1.4608199

Scaremongering or real?

I wonder how long it will be before people start blaming "all those electric cars" for some of the problems.

There's nothing about EVs in that article though? It all seems pretty factual to me and is clearly pegged to the closure of two power plants. I've noticed during the pandemic that Irish people seem to have a weird problem with the media publishing factual stories when those stories contain bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Need more windmills in the Irish Sea ....:D

More seriously though I don't think EVs can be blamed. Most EVs charge at night and thus reduce the difference between the daily peak and trough thus contributing to grid stability.

garo wrote: »
    Need more windmills in the Irish Sea ....:D

More seriously though I don't think EVs can be blamed. Most EVs charge at night and thus reduce the difference between the daily peak and trough thus contributing to grid stability.
    I remember reading about some modelling done on electricity production & consumption with the assumption that EV charging was "smart" and they found that it was possible to charge the expected number of EVs for several years into the future.
    This is mainly due to the generation being designed to provide full power during periods of peak consumption plus some spare capacity.

But longer term, extra storage capacity & generation would be needed for a full transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's nothing about EVs in that article though? It all seems pretty factual to me and is clearly pegged to the closure of two power plants. I've noticed during the pandemic that Irish people seem to have a weird problem with the media publishing factual stories when those stories contain bad news.

If anything it's blaming data centres.

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember this came up a while back

Basically it's a worst case scenario, if we lose several key generators, plus the UK isn't exporting to us, plus we hit a demand peak then we'll be facing brownouts

I think the electricity market has this basically accounted for by time of use pricing. If there's a shortage of electricity, then the price will skyrocket and in turn the big consumers will consume less to avoid paying hefty prices

For things like data centres, they can do stuff like pausing backup operations or other non essential stuff. They can even throttle the CPU cycles to consumer less power and generate less heat, which in turn reduces the load on cooling

I doubt that EVs have the market penetration yet to cause any real difficulty, and as other pointed out, most EVs are charged at night when demand is low

I'd say in time there may be a need to the grid to do load shedding with EV consumers. This will probably be more focused on things like DC charging hubs where they might limit them to 50kW or less to avoid demand peaks. It could also affect fleet consumers like bus & truck depots who won't want to charge during times of peak demand

Advertisement