Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

For a second thought Bjorn was on main street in Swords! He was in Trondheim but at a glance looked like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For a second thought Bjorn was on main street in Swords! He was in Trondheim but at a glance looked like it.

Which video was that? I'm behind on my Bjorn watching :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just saw an ad for Toyota's hybrids on one of Bjorn's videos, I let it play for about a minute because it was quite amusing. :pac:

"Toyotas actually charge themselves." :pac::pac::pac:

Self-charging, the sequel. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Which video was that? I'm behind on my Bjorn watching :(

Trip to North Cape in ID.4 GTX Part 9. Look at him there almost outside Shaker & Vine.

557544.jpg

Trip to North Cape in ID.4 GTX Part 9. Look at him there almost outside Shaker & Vine.

*need to learn how to embed pictures

Wow, that is a lot like Swords, even the shops look similar. Found our twin city I guess :)

Bjorn looks like he just tried everything the CBD shop in Pavilions was selling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

Going to delay purchasing an EV, until early next year,
    Do people think i could get either a 2019 BMW i3, or a 2020/2021 VW ID3 Life for €25k in the first half of 2022 ?

The 2019 i3’s are somewhere between 29 & 32k right now(not an S, just the standard model), and best cash price i could get for a new 2021 ID3 Life 204hp, was 30k. (pre-MY22 stock only)

So i figured, 25k might be a viable price in 2022, or, am i deluded !???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

fafy wrote: »
    Do people think i could get either a 2019 BMW i3, or a 2020/2021 VW ID3 Life for €25k in the first half of 2022 ?

The 2019 i3’s are somewhere between 29 & 32k right now(not an S, just the standard model), and best cash price i could get for a new 2021 ID3 Life 204hp, was 30k. (pre-MY22 stock only)

Should be a flood of 2019 i3s (it’s hard to pluralise the i3 when the i3S exists!) coming into the second hand market next year as 3 year finance plans start to finish, and people will upgrade to one of the newer BMW electrics.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Should be a flood of 2019 i3s (it’s hard to pluralise the i3 when the i3S exists!) coming into the second hand market next year as 3 year finance plans start to finish, and people will upgrade to one of the newer BMW electrics.

Good to hear, i had not actually thought of the Finance contracts ending.

Probably worth noting that the ID.3 is on 0% finance. I know you're looking at a cash buy but you could get free finance with minimal deposit and keep your savings intact

Probably worth noting that the ID.3 is on 0% finance. I know you're looking at a cash buy but you could get free finance with minimal deposit and keep your savings intact

I am aware thanks, the question i am wondering is really, what an ID 3 Life 204hp, will be worth in 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Depreciation is typically 20% in year 1 and 10% from year 2 onwards, but it really depends on supply and demand. If demand is high a d very few used models then used prices will be higher and depreciation less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anyone used eV charging at center parcs by any chance? How do they allocate them and do people move once charged?

Cyrus wrote: »
    Anyone used eV charging at center parcs by any chance? How do they allocate them and do people move once charged?

I asked the reception desk last year about this, basically it's first come first served and they don't seem to police them. I'd say people would generally move after a day

There's 2 pod point chargers with 2 Type 2 untethered sockets each. Don't forget your cable :)

The reception desk said you'll need to download the pod point app, but reports on plugshare say the units will just plug and charge, no authentication needed

Unfortunately we had to cancel the trip (thanks covid :() but let me know how you get on, we're hopefully going later this year

zg3409 wrote: »
    Depreciation is typically 20% in year 1 and 10% from year 2 onwards, but it really depends on supply and demand. If demand is high a d very few used models then used prices will be higher and depreciation less.

So I guess 26-27k might be a more realistic figure

It could equally go the same way as the E-Niro, one of the few cars you could almost buy new and turn a profit on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Were there ID.3 Life models in 2020?

I'd say the only ID.3's in 2020 were the 1st edition which is a few trim levels up from "Life"

The best chance you'd have of getting a Life for €25k would be a dealer demo but they dont typically have demo models at entry level spec so that could be difficult and it would be rare for someone to be selling a 2021 car in 2022 so I think that will be difficult too.... but anythings possible if you are ready to buy at a moments notice and someone needs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So I guess 26-27k might be a more realistic figure

It could equally go the same way as the E-Niro, one of the few cars you could almost buy new and turn a profit on

As soon as the SEAI gravy goes then they’ll all appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where did you see the ID3 for that? I plan to put down a deposit on the 3 or 4 this week

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was there in 2019, due back again in September. When I was there it was plug and play, no app (I figured this out after I installed the app). Chargers are towards the rear of the car park on the back wall, near the spa... Kinda.

2 twin socket units. They were iced when I arrived, but I was able to reach one socket. I moved the next day and all spaces are free. No other cars plugged in as far as I could tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I asked the reception desk last year about this, basically it's first come first served and they don't seem to police them. I'd say people would generally move after a day

There's 2 pod point chargers with 2 Type 2 untethered sockets each. Don't forget your cable :)

The reception desk said you'll need to download the pod point app, but reports on plugshare say the units will just plug and charge, no authentication needed

Unfortunately we had to cancel the trip (thanks covid :() but let me know how you get on, we're hopefully going later this year

Thanks for that. This trip has been rescheduled about 4 times now so glad to be going hopefully the kids enjoy it!

KCross wrote: »
    Were there ID.3 Life models in 2020?

I'd say the only ID.3's in 2020 were the 1st edition which is a few trim levels up from "Life"

The best chance you'd have of getting a Life for €25k would be a dealer demo but they dont typically have demo models at entry level spec so that could be difficult and it would be rare for someone to be selling a 2021 car in 2022 so I think that will be difficult too.... but anythings possible if you are ready to buy at a moments notice and someone needs out.

Correct, earliest Life model you'll get is a 211 reg

The base 1st edition was around 34k AFAIK, so you'll probably still be looking at over 25k in 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The base 1st edition was around 34k AFAIK, so you'll probably still be looking at over 25k in 2022

If that happens I'll have at least €11k in equity towards a new one as my GMFV is €14k.

ted1 wrote: »
    Where did you see the ID3 for that? I plan to put down a deposit on the 3 or 4 this week

It was in a very limited choice of metallic colours, Life model 204 bhp, and if you notice on the price list, there is an additional 1,544 discount on “limited” stock, so total of 33,387 incl metallic, so its basically another 3.3 k off the full price, got the 30k price at two different dealers, So it wasn’t a fluke, or an error.

Yes, spot on, totally forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If that happens I'll have at least €11k in equity towards a new one as my GMFV is €14k.

That's after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

See plugshare app for user reports. May be empty, may be full, may be blocked. Try to park a few spaces away and unplug as soon as you are full. Then you don't need to move your car to unblock charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

was in Portlaoise on Saturday to pick something up, coming from south galway so went via Limerick so went to do a very short top up in the plaza before heading home.

When I got there there were 2 cars already there. One, a 40 Leaf, using the Chademo on the 50kW and another 64 soul on the 150kW using the CCS.
    When I pulled in the Leaf woman was nice enough to tell me she would only be another 10 minutes and the Soul driver said he was leaving in 2 minutes.
    Spoke to the soul man and he mentioned he had only ever gotten charging speed of 48 on his soul and wanted to know if I was getting more (the max I noticed to date was 76kW)

Anyway off he went and I plugged into the 150. I was only getting 48kW which lead me to believe that 150kW is not working properly as based on my SOH I should have been getting high 60's. Maybe the other guy has only ever fast charged at this unit, hence his low speed? Is anyone aware of an issue with this unit?

In the 10 minutes I was charging a guy in an ipace appeared, I told him I would be less than 10 minutes he said no problem he would use the other cable... I explained that the chademo would not work on his car so he could either wait for me or use the 50kW tripple head (as the leaf driver was packing up). He explainined that he normally charges as home but forgot to and was running low. He moved to the 50kW and (unnoticed to me) plugged in the 7kW charger and the driver and passanger headed into the Plaza.

Then a lady in an ioniq appeared and again I told her I'd be 5 minutes and she proceeded to tell me no prolem, she could use the other cable (Charamo). I explained she could not, and then when I was finishing explained the different process to her on the 150kW units in terms of a.) select type b.) Plus in c.) authenticate. This was all news to her.

At that point I went looking for ipace man to explain that unless he was willing to wait 10+hours he should consider using the CCS cable instead of the type 2. He explained that he car did not come with a connection for the big cables and he could only use the home charger cable. I proceeded to goto his car with him, show him his port and explain that the black think at the bottom of his port was a dust cover for the lower part of a CCS commection. He genuinely did not believe me until he had removed it.

Notes from my Laois adventure

1. First time I've had to Queue at a charger for a couple of years (most of my trips are Gal <>Dub which is very well served)
    2. The 150 unit might be under supplying?
    3. Way too many people on the road don't know how to use chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

At that point I went looking for ipace man to explain that unless he was willing to wait 10+hours he should consider using the CCS cable instead of the type 2. He explained that he car did not come with a connection for the big cables and he could only use the home charger cable. I proceeded to goto his car with him, show him his port and explain that the black think at the bottom of his port was a dust cover for the lower part of a CCS commection. He genuinely did not believe me until he had removed it.

Shocking. I blame the dealers mainly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the 15okW unit at Portlaoise is limited to 50 0r 75kW (despite the app now saying its up to 150.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

3. Way too many people on the road don't know how to use chargers.

This is not the problem. People should not have to know how to use chargers beyond "scan your card and plug in the right cable" and it's a massive failure of infrastructural design that we aren't at that stage yet.

For example, it's ridiculous that 3-head chargers contain no physical indicators as to whether you can or can't use a given plug. Obviously if you scan your card first, you'll see the display show that certain plugs may be unavailable. But that's not how most people will use a charging cable — they'll tend to plug in, then scan their card. Which is where the CCS-Chademo interruption problem arises.

Throw a red/green LED above each cable type, and people would know at a glance not to try to use that one. One of many simple bits of user interaction design that put together would negate the need for new EV owners to memorise a catalog of charging etiquette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^^ I'd have to agree with this

Advertisement