Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

ELM327 wrote: »
    The chademo is Japanese, the chinese have an (ironically) copied version called GB/T. Not supported outside of china and about as useful as type3c AC charging

Agree on the rest though, I think once someone invents a reasonable CCS plug to Chademo socket adapter we will see 100% phaseout of chademo like any other deprecated standard.
    Chinese have merged with the Chademo. It was on the cards all along. There can't be so many standards. It's Chademo (Asia) vs CCS (EU/NA) now.

https://www.chademo.com/chademo-3-0-released/
    On 24 April 2020, CHAdeMO Association has released the latest CHAdeMO protocol (CHAdeMO 3.0) to its Regular members, specifying the requirements for designing the next-generation CHAdeMO chargers (“technical paper”), using the brand-new, identical plug with China’s GB/T protocol, allowing for maximum current of 600A.

EDIT:
    https://electrek.co/2020/04/28/chademo-and-china-release-new-ev-quick-charging-standard-in-a-bid-to-leapfrog-the-industry/

Called "ChaoJi"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

McGiver wrote: »
    It's Chademo (Asia) vs CCS (EU/NA) now.

There's no "vs" really — cars for each market will be built with the charging connectors that are dominating in that market. Japan will remain a Chademo country, Europe will remain a CCS continent.

We're lucky enough not to live anywhere where there will be frustrating overlaps between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's no "vs" really — cars for each market will be built with the charging connectors that are dominating in that market. Japan will remain a Chademo country, Europe will remain a CCS continent.

We're lucky enough not to live anywhere where there will be frustrating overlaps between the two.
    Indeed. Australia is even worse. They have type 1 and type 2 CCS.:eek:

McGiver wrote: »
    Chinese have merged with the Chademo. It was on the cards all along. There can't be so many standards. It's Chademo (Asia) vs CCS (EU/NA) now.

https://www.chademo.com/chademo-3-0-released/

EDIT:
    https://electrek.co/2020/04/28/chademo-and-china-release-new-ev-quick-charging-standard-in-a-bid-to-leapfrog-the-industry/

Called "ChaoJi"
    Thanks, I wasnt aware of that. As far as I knew, Tesla were still shipping cars in China with native GBT charging.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Has there been any updates on the ChaoJi connector that will replace the CHAdeMO and GB/T connectors in Japan and China?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The cables really are crazy for new entrants, I echo comments about new EV owners being let out into the wild by dealers.
    I've seen it all, trying to use eCars cards on all other chargers, trying to put CHAdeMO into Type 2 ports and the most frequent is hooking up a second DC connection on the various 50kW chargers which if fraught with issues.
    Another one is hooking up to the AC charge points beside the DC chargers (when DC occupied) and owners bewildered they are not getting 50kWh speeds.
    If you are queuing for a DC charger there is absolutely no point in hooking up a ~7kW (or 11 even) AC cable, not worth the effort or wear/tear on connectors

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    The cables really are crazy for new entrants, I echo comments about new EV owners being let out into the wild by dealers.
    I've seen it all, trying to use eCars cards on all other chargers, trying to put CHAdeMO into Type 2 ports and the most frequent is hooking up a second DC connection on the various 50kW chargers which if fraught with issues.
    Another one is hooking up to the AC charge points beside the DC chargers (when DC occupied) and owners bewildered they are not getting 50kWh speeds.
    If you are queuing for a DC charger there is absolutely no point in hooking up a ~7kW (or 11 even) AC cable, not worth the effort or wear/tear on connectors

Yeah I'd generally agree, I think a lot of it boils down to dealers not being knowledgeable about EVs themselves

I really think that the salespeople should walk the customer through the process of using an AC and DC charger on the pickup day. When my mum was picking up her ID.3 I went with her and made sure she plugged and unplugged from the garages CCS charger so she knew how it worked and could see the car charging

Maybe the RSA or someone can run an ad campaign to raise awareness

Otherwise you'll end up with folks like this clown

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wish me luck. Wife is taking the ID.4 on a trip around Munster tomorrow with no time to stop and charge. 321km according to Google. I'm confident it'll be doable in 1 full charge, but ABRP says it's a bit tighter than I imagined, arriving home with only 10% battery. 10% is still 40km, so not as bad as 10% in my old Ioniq, but the final stint of the route is from Limerick to Cork... no mans land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote: »
    Has there been any updates on the ChaoJi connector that will replace the CHAdeMO and GB/T connectors in Japan and China?

I can't find anything online (but I don't search in Chinese)...
    Chademo 3.0 is a future standard, but I presume that's what will be happening in 2021 and onwards very soon, at least in the Asian market.

Wish me luck. Wife is taking the ID.4 on a trip around Munster tomorrow with no time to stop and charge. 321km according to Google. I'm confident it'll be doable in 1 full charge, but ABRP says it's a bit tighter than I imagined, arriving home with only 10% battery. 10% is still 40km, so not as bad as 10% in my old Ioniq, but the final stint of the route is from Limerick to Cork... no mans land.

Haha, surely we should be wishing her luck, or is it your head on the block if she runs out of juice

Can't imagine 321km is much of a challenge, I'd be confident to get well over 400km at motorway speeds in summer

Haha, surely we should be wishing her luck, or is it your head on the block if she runs out of juice

Can't imagine 321km is much of a challenge, I'd be confident to get well over 400km at motorway speeds in summer

I've told her to grab her lunch at a charger if she's in doubt. Birdhill is conveniently placed and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

don't know what size the batt is on the ID
    However I know that motorway speed (and possibly a bit more :-) ) is the difference between 455 and 350 range on my range in a 64kW soul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

MJohnston wrote: »
    Nobody should have to understand SoC — they should just be able to see accurate "time to X%" estimates on their car or the charging point.

Nobody should have to understand kW units and what they mean — instead we should have smart charge point mapping systems in cars that tell you how quickly you can get to X% of charge from the charge points near you or along your route.

Nobody should have to know the rules of various charge point models to understand whether they can plug in yet — it should be clearer than day on the charge point hardware.

The technology to do all of these things is freely available........

That sounds like an add for Tesla & their SuC network :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

...if she's in doubt. Birdhill is conveniently placed and all.

Only one of the Applegreen DC units is working & that's often hogged by skinflint Tesla drivers :D.
    She'll be grand on that journey - she'll have a good 20%+ buffer IMO :).

don't know what size the batt is on the ID
    However I know that motorway speed (and possibly a bit more :-) ) is the difference between 455 and 350 range on my range in a 64kW soul

77kWh, should be plenty to get anywhere

I've told her to grab her lunch at a charger if she's in doubt. Birdhill is conveniently placed and all.

Did you set the departure SoC in ABRP to 80% by any chance? That might explain the pessimistic results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

77kWh, should be plenty to get anywhere

ah Jazus, nothing to be worried about!

Did you set the departure SoC in ABRP to 80% by any chance? That might explain the pessimistic results

100%.
    20kWh/100km at 110km/hr (odd how I've to set that, thought that was what abrp did for you).
    Dry weather, no extra weight, 13°c.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Used Honda Insight, 2009 model

Is there a simple battery test method, to validate, or at least indicate the remaining life of the traction battery? Like the high current test on an ordinary starter battery?
    Would changing the auxiliary batteries mean the car is an effective write-off?

Trying to help one of our healthcare heros here, who wants to buy one of these. I'm comfortable advising her about the more ordinary components, but I'm new to any level of hybrid.

(budget about €4k)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How far do you live from Killarney? Chances are you live within range of the place so wouldn't need to use those public chargers. And if you live further, there's a good chance you'd have passed more than a few fast chargers on the route, so a quick 10-15 minute stop on the way there or home would have sufficed....

Public charging is expensive (yet still a lot cheaper than ICE costs), so the idea is to do as little public charging as possible, but when you do have to public charge, you don't mind paying the premium (above your own home electricity) for the few times a year where you actually need to public charge...

We live about 100km from Killarney. But on Saturday I drove around The Ring of Kerry so that was another 200km. I didn't see any fast chargers on the route. Or on the Ring of Kerry either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

finbarrk wrote: »
    We live about 100km from Killarney. But on Saturday I drove around The Ring of Kerry so that was another 200km. I didn't see any fast chargers on the route. Or on the Ring of Kerry either.

So about a 400km round trip? And on those roads I’d say an average speed of 80-90km/h.

Easily doable in an EV on a single charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

was in Portlaoise on Saturday to pick something up, coming from south galway so went via Limerick so went to do a very short top up in the plaza before heading home.

When I got there there were 2 cars already there. One, a 40 Leaf, using the Chademo on the 50kW and another 64 soul on the 150kW using the CCS.
    When I pulled in the Leaf woman was nice enough to tell me she would only be another 10 minutes and the Soul driver said he was leaving in 2 minutes.
    Spoke to the soul man and he mentioned he had only ever gotten charging speed of 48 on his soul and wanted to know if I was getting more (the max I noticed to date was 76kW)

Anyway off he went and I plugged into the 150. I was only getting 48kW which lead me to believe that 150kW is not working properly as based on my SOH I should have been getting high 60's. Maybe the other guy has only ever fast charged at this unit, hence his low speed? Is anyone aware of an issue with this unit?

In the 10 minutes I was charging a guy in an ipace appeared, I told him I would be less than 10 minutes he said no problem he would use the other cable... I explained that the chademo would not work on his car so he could either wait for me or use the 50kW tripple head (as the leaf driver was packing up). He explainined that he normally charges as home but forgot to and was running low. He moved to the 50kW and (unnoticed to me) plugged in the 7kW charger and the driver and passanger headed into the Plaza.

Then a lady in an ioniq appeared and again I told her I'd be 5 minutes and she proceeded to tell me no prolem, she could use the other cable (Charamo). I explained she could not, and then when I was finishing explained the different process to her on the 150kW units in terms of a.) select type b.) Plus in c.) authenticate. This was all news to her.

At that point I went looking for ipace man to explain that unless he was willing to wait 10+hours he should consider using the CCS cable instead of the type 2. He explained that he car did not come with a connection for the big cables and he could only use the home charger cable. I proceeded to goto his car with him, show him his port and explain that the black think at the bottom of his port was a dust cover for the lower part of a CCS commection. He genuinely did not believe me until he had removed it.

Notes from my Laois adventure

1. First time I've had to Queue at a charger for a couple of years (most of my trips are Gal <>Dub which is very well served)
    2. The 150 unit might be under supplying?
    3. Way too many people on the road don't know how to use chargers.

Not all hero’s wear capes.

I went to look at cars last week. Seat, Skoda and VW I was surprised at the level of knowledge and interest the sakes guys had. No surprise that the guy above didn’t know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

finbarrk wrote: »
    I didn't see any fast chargers on the route. Or on the Ring of Kerry either.

Pickings are indeed slim down that way, but you probably won’t see them until you are actively looking for them…

557696.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

innrain wrote: »
    "Three applications have been approved for funding. Louth County Council have applied for funding for 20 charge points with Dublin City Council applying for 9 charge points under two applications."
    Dundalk and Drogheda will be full of chargers. Dublin needed 2 applications for 9 chargers. It is a start at least, 2 years after the grant was announced

Saw this on IEVOA FB. More of this needed around the country.
    https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2021/07/04/navan-2030-works-to-see-more-road-closures-in-place-until-end-of-july/

"Further works proposed include a new 200 space park and ride facility on the N51 near the entrance to St Patrick’s Classical school which is going through the planning process.

The facility will include a new offline bus bay and a total of 181 car parking spaces, including six mobility impaired parking spaces and 18 e-car charging spaces."

Wow, the first non ridiculous thing MCC have done in Navan for a long time!

cannco253 wrote: »
    The facility will include a new offline bus bay and a total of 181 car parking spaces, including six mobility impaired parking spaces and 18 e-car charging spaces."

18 self charging toyota spaces is it? :P

Probably just destination chargers but better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its not a proper e-cars charging space until you can have a picnic at it. Not every one will bring their own fold up tables and chairs, so I for one would like to see a proper picnic table or five.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

7kW charge points would be perfect for park and ride location

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

1 in 10 spaces equipped with charging facilities, isn't that the bare minimum under the updated EU planning directive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Saw this on IEVOA FB. More of this needed around the country.
    https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2021/07/04/navan-2030-works-to-see-more-road-closures-in-place-until-end-of-july/

"Further works proposed include a new 200 space park and ride facility on the N51 near the entrance to St Patrick’s Classical school which is going through the planning process.

If I'm not mistaken it is a requirement at planning permission level. All new car parks and new commercial buildings

Advertisement