Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The goverment in my opinion currently facilitates consumers buying obsolete cars 2022 and beyond. The govt should really discourage anybody registering any non-BEVs in Ireland from now on.

The NOx tax was a good idea that largely stopped Ireland being dumping ground for toxic older UK diesels. If, what you said above Andy, it was possible to allow imports again the CO2 VRT rate should be fixed 100% for any cars over 100 g CO2/km and say 50 percent between 1 and 99 g CO2/km. Both new and old. And then reduce the VRT and perhaps even VAT to zero for cars that have 0 g rating. Then monitor the situation every year and announce the next change at end of the year coming in force 1 year after that to allow the dealers and buyers time to adapt.

We would be in 75% BEV market share for new registrations very quickly. Something like this will be needed if the government really wants a million BEVs on the road by 2030. The current BEV trajectory totally undershoots the target. The government should have just aimed at as close as possible to 0% non-BEV sales from 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Second hand EVs are certainly a problem at the moment, just had a look on carzone and only 4 2017 Ioniqs for sale, ranging from 19K to 21K. And a long wait for most new cars which can't see improving much over the next while..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We can type away all day, it's simply an embarrassing statement of intent that is in no way possible no matter what the so called Government do.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Meanwhile there is another thread where a guy wants to do 350 km without the hassle of charging, leafs, zoes, or ioniq are not going to be acceptable to a lot of people, I cannot blame them who wants to spend 20 k on a car that only does 200 km and possible less with each year passing.

But there are plenty of cars in the country already that are perfectly suitable for such a journey. And if the government reduced taxation on the new BEVs they would overnight fall in price by up to 25% (VAT + VRT 0%) bringing more cars in the palatable price range.

The aim here is to stop registering even more non-zero emission cars in the country and actively encourage the buyer to make the jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Don't think it will happen. The gov wants us to scrap the cars altogether and use public transport, which sounds good in theory but what public transport? So even EVs will become expensive to run at some point and I would need to walk or cycle my 50km commute. The question is what's going to happen if we miss the million by 2030?

I think the EV honeymoon is over and is only uphill from now on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

if the government reduced taxation on the new BEVs they would overnight fall in price by up to 25% (VAT + VRT 0%) bringing more cars in the palatable price range.

If the government reduced taxation, the manufacturers would be quick to increase the spec available and charge the exact same on-the-road price. The ID.4 Pure (52kWh) is sold in the UK but not in Ireland. That's because VW know they can fulfil enough orders at the higher price point that they don't need to offer the lower spec in this market.

Norway seem to have real competition even with above due to the car manufactures actually having to sell BEVs as the ICE is as good as dead there now. If VW can't sell what the market wants Hyundai will. It's different from here where VW's bread and butter is a petrol Golf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

VW are doing a great job selling what the market wants, that apparently is an ID.4 that starts at €50,000

But a Golf starts at €29435. Meanwhile in Norway: ID4: Pure from kr 346 280 whereas the cheapest Golf is Life 1.0. at kr 356 199. Which one would you choose?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why that is relevant to my point, you suggested that the government should wave taxes to lower prices. I pointed out that manufacturers are already selling cars above their minimum price point and are happy with the level of sales. Any attempt to lower prices further will just result in manufacturers increasing the spec to maintain a price level whilst enjoying higher margin.

We'll eventually come to the stage where the manufacturers will either have to have cars for sale that sell in volume or otherwise let somebody else to take the market share. By removing all of the taxes for EVs while highly taxing the alternatives, Norway has brought that moment forward. A small market like Ireland could do the same without affecting the coffers. I also suggested that the EV subsidies could later on, with an ample warning, reduced when the subsidies are not needed anymore and the parity of the EV vs ICE pricing is reached naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

looked at three EVs today

Kia EV

Ford Mach E

Audi Etron

Audi wins hands down for me with the Mach E last as its absurdly over priced , EV6 was very good but I prefer a bigger car

going to buy a second hand Etron 55 as you get an almost extra 100bhp , hoping to get it for circa 67 k , few on DD , 90 K new for the 55 with 405bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Audis ev naming convention is ridiculously confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Agreed, technically the chunky E-Tron is the Q8 E-Tron, but no-one calls it that

I saw a Q4 E-Tron around which is basically the ID.4 clone. It's certainly a looker, I think Audi have got the styling right for that one

Also spotted an EV6 today. Looks a lot nicer in the flesh as I thought it looked a bit meh from the pictures. But it's weirdly small for what should be a big car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

I doubt ESB Networks and their contractors have the levele of resources to manage that level of an installation over a 4-5 year period. The smart meter roll out is a big rollout in itself, add in the resources needed to maintain the currently strained transission network would little else?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I was listening to Claire Byrne on Friday I think there was a so 26 were high on the agenda. Electric cars came up. Prices were discussed Claire said no way would she pay out €40k for an electric car its just too much, Claires salary is €216k per annum. Listening to it the average listener would be saying if Claire cant afford /think these are worth buying why or how can I

Maybe she meant there's no way she'd spend that little on a car, only Audi's and Porsches for her 🤣

The great thing about contractors is that you can always get more. They like to be paid though, which is probably the main source of problems as ESB doesn't want to spend a lot of money

And to be clear, the transmission network is fine, the issues are mostly on the generation side due to poor resource management from the big power plants

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Was looking to buy 7seat phev this year but ended up buying Superb IV as the santa fe/sorento are like hens teeth!

Absolutely loving the IV (my first auto too). I didn't even consider a BEV as my understanding was the charging network isn't up to scratch yet. But just driving the PHEV for few weeks I would definitely be looking at BEV next. In reality there would be very few times I'd ever be hitting ranges that warrant any anxiety! Currently daily commutes are within even the IV battery range and weekends trips wouldn't go over 200km so I'd rarely ever need to charge outside home/overnight.

This country is like the ideal place to push the switch to electric transport and with climate at the forefront now its low hanging fruit the government are missing a trick if they do the usual I.e. sweet fa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Listening to it it was more sure youd be mad to pay that kind of money for one of them things 😎

You are only getting early delivery of European EVs because the Manufacturers fear you will defect to the Korean Brands. The waiting times on the continent are very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

If while installing the smart meter they replaced the white door with one with an EV charger socket and hooked it straight into the esb meter with load sensing. This would take very little extra time, require no extra site visit, and suddenly the owner would have an EV charge point. The rules were changed this year to allow connections at the esb meter, so technically it would be ok, and would not require many extra staff. It's just a glorified outdoor socket anyway, but it would start that mind shift for home owners and renters alike.

They need to be funding charge points like their funding EVs, but even more so. If we say EVs will be cheaper than ICE in say 2025 then we need a charging network in place by then that allows 100% of purchasers to go EV without public/home street charging and apartment charging without issue. I visited/passed 6 50kW chargers today, but I actually skipped most as they were in use. I charged up long before I needed it, in fear when I did need it, the charger would be busy. That's not a way to have a network, and this was a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

No matter what way is feasible, ie via that method or the method by which the charger points are currently installed, it all should take a lot more capital and resources which need to be planned within the relevant budgets. Really is a budget issue that drives the resourcing to it.

I'm getting annoyed at seeing the UK doing something right

I know 190,000 isn't that many in the context of the UK, but the whole idea of installing low profile AC chargers for EV owners who don't have driveways seems to be something that Irish councils just can't get their heads around

It'd be nice to see something being rolled out at scale instead of the handful of lampost chargers scattered around Dublin, and the ESB units that DCC seem to complain about all the time

It'd be nice to see something being rolled out at scale instead of the handful of lampost chargers scattered around Dublin, and the ESB units that DCC seem to complain about all the time

A working was formed last year develop a strategy across the 4 Dublin Councils, they tendered out to develop a strategy

A tendering process has been completed and contract awarded to engage a third party to deliver an EV charging strategy for the Dublin Local Authorities. Next steps include completion of the strategy whilst also progressing funding applications and related opportunities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

”So let’s pay someone to tell us how and where we should install lots of chargers”

I wonder how much the contract was for?

and I wonder what relation of the guy who awarded the contract is to the guy that won the contract….

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

[quote]If while installing the smart meter they replaced the white door with one with an EV charger socket and hooked it straight into the esb meter with load sensing. [/quote]

@zg3409 would you have a link to that white meter box door with an EV charger socket? if I understand you right, something like that might suit me perfectly. Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that by some bizarre coincidence the contract was awarded to ESB Ecars

We're doomed 😬

• Advertisement

I'd trust a consultant over any plans that involved Owen Keegan and cars

Advertisement