Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

The new Ioniq 5 comes with a 3 pin "Granny" charger and a 3 phase 32A cable. Presume the EV6 comes with the same, but worth checking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You couldn’t connect the car up to your house supply/fuse board, only run an extension to power some appliances, like TV/modem etc…. So it wouldn’t be like having the house powered up as normal…

you’d need a fireman switch in the system to do that, if it could even be done/signed off.

I have a generator allreadyy that I start up and reverse into a socket that. Runs the house but it's noisy and thought I could reverse the cars ac into an outdoor socket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Kia EV6 has no ground, so some things won't charge from (like an ID.3 on a granny charger). Presume the Ioniq5 is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi, not sure if I'm reading you wrong, but just in case, you won't be able to plug you car into an outdoor socket and use that to power your house. The load to charge device is basically a plug. You won't be able to power your lights or heating off it or anything else that isn't plugged directly into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah.. a widow maker.

You need to be really careful cos you could end up back feeding into the grid and electrocute people working on the lines.

Just have to turn off fuseboard

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What kind of power are you pushing through a 2.5 T&E?

As you are pushing it through you realise that none of the sockets on that same circuit have any protection?

does it just have a 3 pin plug ? Pretty sure that’s illegal as if the genie starts and it’s not plugged in, then the exposed pins are live , likewise if someone plug a it out, they won’t know the line are live

That's a bit mental, I'd never heard of that before.

Been doing it for awhile and had no probs ..runs tvs,lights fridges ect ..but don't use the shower or cooker...generator has current stabilizer so devices work flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mcbs protect the cable not the appliances/sockets, just to clear that up.

But yeah it's sketchy AF. https://youtu.be/At0advb9_fA electoboom explains it quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MCB also protect from electrical shocks/fires as a result of short circuits or current overload. Sockets will also go through an RCD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Real world range test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have not been killed yet is the phrase, or a visitor or child that pulls on plug with live wires. At least install a changeover switch next to fuseboard. Generators are handy in very rural areas where power may be off for a day after a storm and power may be needed for oil burner heating and lights, but risking ESB staff and visitors with total liability yourself is crazy. I have worked on mechanical and electrically isolated automatic changeover generator systems with auto start. These are great for automatically kicking in. Typically heavy loads are set up to trip off when power goes, so nearly everything in house works. If you experience power cuts regularly it's worth it for the convenience.

Post edited by zg3409 on

Geni is in a shed that's locked with no access to it except for me.nobody can get electrocuted.i haven't used it in about three years .I am very competant of what I am doing.i only mentioned it in passing .it's not something that is a regular occurance.

To the Hague with you for war crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is still a lack of knowledge out there from dealers about EVs.

I was interested in an Ioniq on DD, but it had high mileage and I asked the dealership in an email if they knew what the SOH of the battery was.

The reply was, "the car is in fantastic condition, and the dash is showing a range of 200km".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ioniq 28 have a massive "hidden" buffer, plenty of these cars are still reporting 100% SOH 5 years in, can't be right of course as there has to be degradation so must be related to buffer management in the car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May be true but I'm still wary of buying an EV with 150,000 on it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Since the above thread is no discussion thread I brought it over here...

What I really like about that UCD lay out is that they put the charge points and spaces back to back. Its a much more efficient way to put in charge points than a bank of chargers along a back wall where only one line of spaces can access them. Each one of the charge points above can be accessed from 4+ spaces.

When putting a charge point into my workplace I made sure that the charge point went in where 6 spaces could reach the single charge point. Eventhough the charge point can only charge two at a time it means that you can have 4 more cars "lined up" ready to charge and no need to be playing musical chairs and getting people to move so you can get in, which is hard to do with people in meetings, out to lunch etc.

You simply park in one of the 6 spaces, first two to arrive get first dibs and then when their sessions finish you unplug them(we've agreed that) and plug yours in... no need to get people on the phone to move their car etc.

The above layout is the same. Clearly not as big a deal when you have 12 charge points to work with, but in time when EV's outnumber ICE the above layout will really benefit those users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I disagree. I think eCars have it right. They obviously have expertise & experience with regard to installs & are, indeed, Ireland's leading player in the game. They've over a decade of experience installing charging infrastructure. The even operate internationally, with great success!

No, a single charger against a wall, in a dingy, dark compact car park, with extra short cables & two spaces for cars to charge (unless one is a Nissan or PHEV) - that's the real future!

Hub? Who needs hubs! AC is for losers anyway - eCars have abandoned that & they know best!

Happy New Year to all!

You almost had me until you said eCars have it right

HNY to all of ye, may ye home charge and stay within range and never have to rely on eCars in 2022, I had just the one eCars session in 2021 and it was an unmitigated disaster where previous user's session was never stopped and took ages to restart the unit via eCars, all the while other EV's queued up around me and had to wait a further age

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

This is very random, its a 9 minutes long "podcast" from the BBC series Witness History on the first modern electric car. Very interesting piece

BBC World Service - Witness History, The first modern electric car

short clip of Shell Fulham, how things can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The GOM is irrelevant. When I bought my second Ioniq it has 220km on the GOM (and 100k on the clock) and now it's at 175km on the gom. It's all dependant on prior driving.

There seems to be a general consensus that the buffer in the ioniq BMS allows it to get to 150-160k km or 5 years, with still showing 100% SOH. This is of course done by hiding additional capacity - given the battery is 28kWh net and I can still extract 28kWh from my 172 with 120k on the clock it's clear that something is going on to allow this.

It's now known for certain but I've seen estimates of a 31kWh pack for the Ioniq 28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Bit of a disaster for GM over in the US. In Q4 2021, they sold 26 EVs. 25 Bolts and 1 Hummer. Do they even make any others at this point? It's not a very appealing lineup.

Advertisement