Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty sure connect is the one for preheating Leaf and all that kind of stuff (assuming that's what you need).

right, just confusing there is 2 options.
    Anyone know why you would use one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

WIth all this range anxiety stuff and a lot of it is bs! There is the diesel love affair here. Many households are two car , the battery cost is obviously a big issue with electric , the purchase cost. Would it make sense to have 100km range new cars , so that they could provide a relatively affordable option for the masses that don’t need much range or have a backup option ?

Bristol has a plan to ban all diesels from its core from 7am to 3pm from 2021 due to poor air quality. Even the uk which is usually behind the curve , is miles ahead of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-county-council-working-with-schools-to-lessen-effects-of-exhaust-emissions-on-children-962228.html

I can only agree with everything in that article. I see it at our own school.

Not sure how they can alleviate it really other than EV's becoming more popular but at least they have real data from a monitoring station that proves its a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I believe it’s illegal to idle outside schools in uk and they issue fines !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Idbatterim wrote: »

What if you're idling an EV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't get a fine for anything in Ireland. Except parking fines :D

Its not just the idling though. If you have a school with, say 300 pupils, and the majority of them arriving in cars all within a 15-20min window you are going to have alot of emissions right where the kids are walking.... depends on road layout I guess.

The design in our local school has every single car passing the front gate, dropping off, going around a mini roundabout and back across the gate again just to make sure you get a good lung full twice from every car!

Diesel cars shouldn't be allowed near schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

KCross wrote: »
    Its not just the idling though. If you have a school with, say 300 pupils, and the majority of them arriving in cars all within a 15-20min window you are going to have alot of emissions right where the kids are walking.... depends on road layout I guess.

The design in our local school has every single car passing the front gate, dropping off, going around a mini roundabout and back across the gate again just to make sure you get a good lung full twice from every car!

The "Standard" school design that has been built all over Cork the last 6 years or so has the same design, my kids school has it which was recently built. Most of the cars dropping off have been running for less than 5 minutes as the estates are literally around the school. The walk would be less than 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imagine the uproar if Dublin city centre banned diesels!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imagine the uproar if Dublin city centre banned diesels!

It will inevitably happen. It would require a strong government first though and that could be a long way away and I think we'd need to see a few 100k EV's on the road first so that people have an alternative.... cant ban diesel when there are no EV's to buy in large numbers on the s/h market!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agree, but Dublin likes to see itself as a modern European capital, so if others are cutting it in, or plan to by 20xx, then Dublin will have to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

KCross wrote: »
    It will inevitably happen. It would require a strong government first though and that could be a long way away and I think we'd need to see a few 100k EV's on the road first so that people have an alternative.... cant ban diesel when there are no EV's to buy in large numbers on the s/h market!
    Why not???? There's an alternative - petrol or hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mike9832 wrote: »

Golf is iconic, a brand in itself

Seems crazy to just drop it

In 2025 what are they going to do with Golf brand when know one wants an ice.

Who said anything about dropping the Golf. It's not competing against the id3, way more golf models on the way than the id3 choice of 3.
    There's some nice hybrid and right wing mk8 golfs coming.

It would have been crazy calling the id3 the Golf. It's still be selling well beyond 2025.

unkel wrote: »
    You obviously don't understand Elon's motivation ;)

Good day again for the Porsche share though. You intending to keep yours for the long run or are you considering taking the (substantial) profit?

He's a magic carpet sales man, Porsche will have us flying around before him. : ) https://www.ibtimes.com/can-cars-really-fly-porsche-boeing-are-going-find-out-2844196

Took the profit again, I'll be back in on any pullback with the truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Who said anything about dropping the Golf. It's not competing against the id3, way more golf models on the way than the id3 choice of 3.
    There's some nice hybrid and right wing mk8 golfs coming.

It would have been crazy calling the id3 the Golf. It's still be selling well beyond 2025.

ICE sales will collapse in a few years and they'll be banned in most forward thinking countries, its going to happen alot quicker than we think

Golf sales are only going to go oneway and that's down, MK8 will be the last Golf imo and for sure last GTi

Look lads, as I said here more than a few times, I was highly critical of the i3 for a long time, I test drove it and bought it !

The ID.3 will be a highly successful EV for VW.

I'll "for once" reserve judgement until I sit in and drive it.

Give the car a chance !

i3 is a great example

Never took off, niche market, every year supposed to be its last

Quirky doesn't sell

ICE sales will collapse in a few years and they'll be banned in most forward thinking countries, its going to happen alot quicker than we think

Golf sales are only going to go oneway and that's down, MK8 will be the last Golf imo and for sure last GTi

Your misunderstanding the Golf, it's more than an ice car, you can have a hybrid, petrol, diesel, hydrogen and full on electric if you want.
    The golf isn't going to be banned anywhere, if Ireland gets that woke I'm out.

Your misunderstanding the Golf, it's more than an ice car, you can have a hybrid, petrol, diesel, hydrogen and full on electric if you want.
    The golf isn't going to be banned anywhere, if Ireland gets that woke I'm out.

Electric version is gone

ID3 replaced it

Will be no MK8 eGolf

Golf is now a combustion car only, but electric is the future

Golf no future?

Strange market behaviour over in Germany anyway

October 2018 BEV 1.3%
    October 2019 BEV 1.7%

October 2018 PHEV 0.8%
    October 2019 PHEV 2.4%

PHEV assault is gaining momentum there, BEV stagnating, no wonder VW increasing grants there

Off topic but BMW released an X5 PHEV there with a 24kWh battery and 100km range

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x5/108335/new-bmw-x5-plug-in-hybrid-2019-review

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Electric version is gone

ID3 replaced it

Will be no MK8 eGolf

Golf is now a combustion car only, but electric is the future

Golf no future?

Strange market behaviour over in Germany anyway

October 2018 BEV 1.3%
    October 2019 BEV 1.7%

October 2018 PHEV 0.8%
    October 2019 PHEV 2.4%

PHEV assault is gaining momentum there, BEV stagnating, no wonder VW increasing grants there

Off topic but BMW released an X5 PHEV there with a 24kWh battery and 100km range

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x5/108335/new-bmw-x5-plug-in-hybrid-2019-review

PHEV is the future and BEV will remain a niche offering, all petrol and diesels will have a PHEV option and they will prove to be the most economical option for most buyers.

Cars like this new X5 and better again the Merc 350de give you the advantage of driving on fully electric for all city and local country driving while never having range anxiety or having to drive at Leaf speed. Your overall fuel cost falls and best of all your not burning fossil fuels in cities.

Sales here of hybrids have grown way more than the increase in BEV’s and as more PHEV options hit the market you will see a big sales jump with them.

Personally I’d like one of these ID’s as a second car at that mooted 24k price but if spending 50k I’d be waiting for more PHEV options

• Advertisement

The MK8 GTE could be a winner, close to 70km of electric and 240bhp odd same as the current GTI. I think it's would cut my monthly fuel down by 3/4's

Casati wrote: »
    PHEV is the future and BEV will remain a niche offering, all petrol and diesels will have a PHEV option and they will prove to be the most economical option for most buyers.

QFP :p

In only a few years from now, only BEV cars will be sold new in more progressive countries than Ireland. But we are not that far behind. This will happen here to in the year 203x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

unkel wrote: »
    QFP :p

In only a few years from now, only BEV cars will be sold new in more progressive countries than Ireland. But we are not that far behind. This will happen here to in the year 203x

I think people are kinda not seeing the wood through the trees.
    There is no long term "future" for vehicles that run of fossil fuel (PHEV, ICE).

Petrol/Diesel is a finite resource, and we are literally fracking the f out of the planet to squeeze the last drop out. Any smart person knows that it is cheaper to run a wire from a solar panel to a car...than it is to drill holes hundreds of metres under the ground, pump in a mix of horrendous crap to mulch up the soil...then siphon off the dead dinosaur juice. We then put this sluge into a container, and ship it to a refinement plant. This plant uses outrageous amounts of electricity to refine this further into the various products on offer. A lot of big refineries have their own power stations -> burning oil to make oil.

All of the above can happen...in your house (If your lucky enough to own one)
    Sun -> PV Panel -> inverter -> car -> drive

VS

Survey -> find -> Sail/fly -> Drill/Spill -> Store/spill -> Ship/spill -> Store/spill -> Refine/spill -> Ship/spill -> Store/spill -> Truck/spill -> Store/spill on hands -> car

The sooner we ban these dangerous archaic turn of the century (last) machines...the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

jusmeig wrote: »
    There is no long term "future" for vehicles that run of fossil fuel (PHEV, ICE).

Petrol/Diesel is a finite resource, and we are literally fracking the f out of the planet to squeeze the last drop out. Any smart person knows that it is cheaper to run a wire from a solar panel to a car...than it is to drill holes hundreds of metres under the ground, pump in a mix of horrendous crap to mulch up the soil...then siphon off the dead dinosaur juice. We then put this sluge into a container, and ship it to a refinement plant. This plant uses outrageous amounts of electricity to refine this further into the various products on offer. A lot of big refineries have their own power stations -> burning oil to make oil.

VS

Survey -> find -> Sail/fly -> Drill/Spill -> Store/spill -> Ship/spill -> Store/spill -> Refine/spill -> Ship/spill -> Store/spill -> Truck/spill -> Store/spill on hands -> car

The sooner we ban these dangerous archaic turn of the century (last) machines...the better.

Agreed. Just because something burns doesn't mean we should be burning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cars like this new X5 and better again the Merc 350de give you the advantage of driving on fully electric for all city and local country driving while never having range anxiety or having to drive at Leaf speed. Your overall fuel cost falls and best of all your not burning fossil fuels in cities.

Sales here of hybrids have grown way more than the increase in BEV’s and as more PHEV options hit the market you will see a big sales jump with them.

Personally I’d like one of these ID’s as a second car at that mooted 24k price but if spending 50k I’d be waiting for more PHEV options

I do quite like the idea of a rear-drive skateboard BEV (like the ID.3) with a range extending turbo petrol motor up front and a small petrol tank (e.g. 20L). Essentially flipping the normal PHEV model to rely more on batteries, like the i3, but less weedy.

I'm not sure BEV manufacturers have really worked out what to do with the volume ahead of the A pillar. The ID.3 uses the space for greater front wheel rotation. Do we really need frunks? As I understand it, the engine is an integral part of the crash structure in front-engined fossil cars.

In the i3 the Rex only adds 120kg.

jusmeig wrote: »

VS

I'll have to be careful not to be infracted again

Where do you think batteries come from?

They'll be digging up half the earth to get the rare earth minerals needed for 6 billion people to be transported by batteries

Will be like the 1800s again with mine industry booming

Suits me as I bought nickel recently

Price has doubled in a year and will continue to do so

The MK8 GTE could be a winner, close to 70km of electric and 240bhp odd same as the current GTI. I think it's would cut my monthly fuel down by 3/4's

Its a tough one alright

Once we start getting close to that 100km like GTE it's almost range

Id have the ID3 as I'm into EV's, my wife, father, friends etc would go GTE

You could be right

100km PHEV make alot of sense

Automakers want them for sure and governments want to keep jobs

I'll have to be careful not to be infracted again

Where do you think batteries come from?

They'll be digging up half the earth to get the rare earth minerals needed for 6 billion people to be transported by batteries

Suits me as I bought nickel recently

Price has doubled in a year and will continue to do so

But batteries can be recycled and have second (and sometimes) third life products. Once you light something on fire....its usually not good for a second go.

• Advertisement

This makes no sense.
    We are transitioning towards mass transit on a whole. There is no need for battery storage with trains, trams and eventually induction charged vehicles.
    While they are getting bigger now (Because of the I want more range trend), I believe they will get smaller and eventually go away.

All I am saying is that its far better to connect a positive and a negative to a roll of copper and move, than it is to explode something in a box to spin a series of spinny things to move (slower and with less efficiency). Sustainable transport vs non sustainable. I know this sickens a lot of people.

Advertisement