Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"Hub".

What is a hub?

Is it somewhere that can charge 8 cars at a time like Castlebellingham?

Or is it somewhere that can "fast charge" 2 cars at once. Or one if someone is plugged into an AC port that is attached to the single charging unit that constitutes a "hub".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's a place where one car charging on AC parked in the right position can block 2 DC chargers 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think avoiding Irish news outlets in general is a better plan, I just end up with a sore head

It's easy to understand why journalism in this country is terrible, anyone who is any good at it got a job in another country

Besides, RTE needs to spend money on important things like Tubbs pointing at stuff

It's incremental progress, 26% done after 3 years is much better than the 20% they were at a year ago 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That's unbelievably bad.....

Of course Niall isn't getting any enquiries about EVs or hybrids - he's not your port of call for an EV....

An EV buyer in 2022 will seek out places that actually do EVs.

They will only ring Niall if he happened to have an EV in stock.

Niall doesn't have any EVs in stock because EVs are outside Nialls area of expertise.

Asking Niall about EVs is therefore about as useful as asking a Dacia salesman about prestige brand enquiries.

Its the apparent mindset behind this piece that's the interesting thing - it's as if someone wanted to show EVs as a problem.

For sure EVs aren't perfect - nothing is - but its clear that we aren't getting a balanced opinion here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Niall talks long distance commuters.....

What kind of commutes are we talking here....

And leaving EVs aside for a moment - just how sustainable is a long diesel commute going forward.

Isnt the trick going forward that we need to focus more on public transport, remote working.

And avoiding as much as possible the need to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

All the locals that come to Niall for an ‘upgrade’ all do at least 300-500km per day so it’s understandable why nothing but a daysul will do!!!!

2.0tdi and she’ll purr like a kitten for ya all day long….

I wonder does Niall also bypass the dpf filter to "help" get past the NCT emissions test? 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Wonder should I consider my outdoor socket AND a Zappi a hub.

Surely there's only one actual Ecars hub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Amateur! I have a tethered charger with a built in 3 pin socket. A few meters along the wall, I have a SECOND outdoor socket just incase I reverse into the driveway 😁

Stay Free

• Advertisement

eCars would like to talk to you about a partnership.... that 14 would look a lot better if it was a 15!

The guy said 14 hubs installed in the last year! Is it really that many since April 2021? (lets assume a 150kW + 50kW site is a hub for this numbers game, but of course in eCars world, it probably counts as 2 hubs).

Someone help me out here to count to 14 'hubs' since April 2021 (Athlone & Carrick-on-Shannon were March 16th 2021 so can't be counted as part as the 14 in the previous year)

1. Mayfield (June 2021)
    2. Tuam (March 2022)
    3. Blanchardstown (December 2021)
    4. Limerick - Ballysimon (March 2022)
    5. Ballacolla (October 2021
    6. Rochestown (December 2021)
    7. Mullingar - Ballinderry (September 2021)
    8. Ballinalack (September 2021)

What sites am I missing? Lets be generous and count Athlone & Carrick, and even Frankfield (2 car 'hub' lol), and that gets me to 11 new sites in the last 13 months!! Any more I forgot?

Or

Maybe when it comes to hub counting, they borrow some numbers from Anna's cousin and count the Tesla hubs as well??

That's what would be called a high powered hub 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Just count them twice.

add the recently "painted" one from the S R Quays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Stuff still needs to made, despite all the hype a lot of jobs are still manual labour and you need to be there. I've had jobs where I'd have driven 75km to work, done 12 hours then the same home, sometimes with no day off in a fortnight ⁰, it's not worth it no matter what you are paid, wouldn't want to travel anything more than a few km now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

It's a bit annoying when you compare the features on the Buzz to the new T7 multivan.

Buzz didn't get the rails system with removable seats or the centre console that turns into a table, even though they were on the concept.

I get that it's the first go at it so a bunch of stuff probably wasn't ready for production yet, but still, there's some serious scope for improvement

Hopefully VW up the spec before 2024 when my PCP is up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Funny how things come back around again, VW minibus being the people carrier of its day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

What's the etiquette when it comes to charging your car at free charging points? Lidl kildare town is the closest to me. I plug in there every now and again but would never stay any longer then an hour. I have a PHEV so an hour only puts about 20kls in the battery, prob uses up around 3 kilowatts. Whats the general feeling around that? A question no doubt already asked on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's a slow charger I presume?

Some will say you shouldn't use any charger unless you need to, but I've no issue with someone grabbing a quick freebie.

I would just ensure that you don't leave anyone stuck who really needs a charge. Not as likely to be an issue when you're at a slow charger rather than fast but you never know.

Just register on the Needtocharge App or website and leave a disc in the window. That way you can charge as long as you want, and if someone really needs on they can send you a message if you're not with the car.

PS if you're staying with the car for an hour for the sake of 3kWh then I envy the amount of free time you have lol.

Thanks Dr. Didn't know about that app.

Well I would be going into lidl to shop and then go for a walk after so nothing I wouldnt do normally on a day off. I'd never just pull into lidl, plug in and walk away. I think that would be taking the proverbial!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It would be taking the p alright, but speaking as someone who works and charges a lot in NI where its all free, trust me people will do it. The only fast charger in Derry is regularly blocked for 3-4 hours by locals seeking free juice.

As I say there's no harm in taking a free top up if its there, I do stop at the Derry rapid sometimes myself. But if someone else arrives who needs the charge rather than just having an opportune free top up, I move on. And I have a disc in the window so if I've popped to the shop they can contact me

You are already taking the piss.

plug in, go into Lidl and do your shopping, then come out and vacate the charger as your shopping trip is complete.

even sitting in the car for a while after your shopping would probably be fine (assuming you’d move if another car came in looking to use it while they shopped), but going for a walk after you’ve finished your shopping is taking the piss.

You are taking advantage of a free service provided by Lidl for its shoppers. What if 4-5 cars that need a charge arrive while you are walking around the town but can’t get a charge because your car is there and you are nowhere to be seen.

the sooner EasyGo/Lidl bring in charges for the Lidl AC’s the better (or just replace the existing AC’s with paid DC chargers)

Hi Andy. When I say go for a walk I mean over to Dealz, across the road, or up into town. I'm never any more then 5 mins away and I have regularly moved for people. In fact just the other day a dingbat pulled in a 11 year old Prius and went shopping. I'm not sure if he thought cause he had a hybrid that he was entitled to park there. So a man squeezed in between myself and the Prius to get a charge. I indicated that I would pull out for him. Most of the time I do sit in my car esp if there's 2 cars charging. You're going to have to trust me on that.

I saw an individual put nearly 20 Kilowatts in his EV the other day and not a sign of him anywhere. He was there for hours, I wonder did he really need that much of a charge? I've also seen people with Evs/PHEVs pull and not plug in. There's all sorts out there. I think if what I do was an offense it would just be a very minor one, prob just telling off, just what you've done there to me😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

First come, first serve, potentially harsh but it's simply the way it is and has been for the last decade

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Problem is, the guy you might move on for, might be only getting a top up too.

If you're badly stuck and pulling into a 3kw charger, you planned badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Oh the humanity.

Advertisement