Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are we to assume that that J5/Paulstown services which I believe is only around 5 years old(?) has a grid connection capable of supporting 300kW worth of charging cars?

or are we looking at;

A: Waiting an eternity for Anna’s cousin to hook the site up.

B: Unit is throttled to 50kW ‘til further notice’ (see A)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Is Paulstown not Applegreen? Different cause(in)

Sorry, yeah, I mixed up the sites….

never stopped at any of them because they have no chargers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,378 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

160 rapid chargers in a single bus depot... 😲

Let's let that number sink in for a few mins.

There's also plans for another 200 rapid chargers, for 360 total. Pretty sure that's more DC chargers than on the island of Ireland

Unfortunately it's for buses only, so don't plan on getting a charge. Also designed for overnight charging rather than top ups

That's the future of public transport IMO

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Some brighter news, some Q Park facilities might be getting more chargers

The article mentions UK and Ireland, so we should get a few new chargers

IIRC some Q Parks already have 3kW AC chargers. I imagine the majority of new chargers will be 7kW AC, although if they can put in a few 50kW units that would be a nice boost to a lot of city centre charging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That guy actually used to post here I think*.

If memory serves me correctly - the one fast charge a day thing related to managing rapidgate and battery temp issues. T

He did 5000 kms over the period of the trip.

*not too many people have taken an L40 from Ireland to Finland with their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

See my post ;-)

He sold his Leaf soon after and bought a Tesla...

I think we're talking about the same person. As you say, probably not many people making that journey in a Leaf

I seem to remember that avoiding rapid gate was part of the reasoning behind the single fast charge per day

Glad to hear he upgraded. The Leaf can do the journey, but it's far from ideal for the job

A few years ago I nearly bought a Renault Kangoo Z.E. van. It was in Cork and I'm in Dublin. I would have driven it home. It can do the journey no probs. But it would have taken me 3 days to do it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Still here under a new pseudonym.

The log trip was fine on the L40 once you knew the limitations and we did cover 8350 km over the trip. One quick charge a day if possible and park overnight in a cool location with charging available. If more charging needed to cover the distance try to use local AC charging when stopping for sightseeing etc. But yes, the same trip last summer on a Model 3 needed zero planning. Just let the car do all the planning for you.

OK so I have a received a lovely response from Circke K to my query about the new charger being installed on the M9 at J5/Carlow;

My Query;

Hi, can you advise when the EV charger you are installing at J5/M9 outside Carlow will be operational? And also advise of additional sites where Fast EV chargers will be installed?

Their Response;

Hello,

We hope to have the charger in J5 Carlow available in the coming weeks. We still have some works to complete there with regards to the upgrade of the Electricity supply. Some of the works have been delayed due to the sourcing of materials, however we hope to be live by the end of summer.

We currently have 3 more sites in various stages of build.

Two charging stalls in Fermoy on the M8

Two charging stalls in City Avenue Dublin

Four charging stalls in Clonshaugh on the M50 / M1 intersection. 

The latter two are still in the planning process and due to network capacity challenges will be slightly later to finish then Fermoy or Junction 5.

We are also actively looking at expanding the Circle K network into other key motorway service areas and large transport hubs.

Very nice. City avenue refers to the service station opposite Citywest. https://goo.gl/maps/DX6dKEJg1rJZkxLE7

I'm genuinely impressed, an actual answer to your questions with specific details and nothing vague

Aye, so definitely not related to Anna in any way!!!

They certainly wouldn't last long in the Ecars 😂

On a side note, does anyone know how to use the Circle K chargers? Is there a specific app or have they discovered that debit cards can be used to pay for things?

Did Someone mentioned that the new one in J5/M9 had a card reader on it

OMG, the competence, prompt honest response and taking responsibility. It looks like Circle K is not funded by the Irish tax payer like some other charger installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Fermoy is becoming a proper little hub ( by Irish standards)

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Recently did my first ever long distance EV journey, and was so disappointed by the charging infrastructure.

Ionity (athlone) : set aside parking bay where each charger cable can reach the car easy, nice big easy to read clear screen, could see how far along every car was. Tapped my car and worked.

ESB (enfield) : One lone box tucked away at the back, three cables - just adds to the confusion (i know leafs etc), if there were more cars I have zero idea how cable management was working. One super tiny screen on the side, that was really hard to read in sunlight - not touch, physical buttons next to the screen that don't line up with the options, super slow to process my card for payment.

Like they both worked, ESB was cheaper - but having experienced the Ionity set up its so nice!

You should try using a Supercharger in a Tesla….

take plug out of holster

press button on plug (to open the cars charging flap)

plug in car

car starts charging

/fin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

You left out

• Pensively thinking how awful it will be when it’s open to non-Tesla owning plebs
    • Posting on Facebook about how great Tesla SuC is (every time you charge)
    • Posting on Facebook about this great new SuC you’ve discovered (this seems to be limited to Tesla UK owners)
    • Opening both FWD and posting a photo on Facebook while you charge (Model X owners only please!)
    • Driving away happily smug
    • Posting a photo of you arriving home with 0% SoC

I reckon the marketing department had gone home early and the email got forwarded to the project manager or something

You forgot about doing your best to not make eye contact with any other drivers while you're both charging 😁

Possibly not just a Tesla thing though, can't say I'm the most sociable person at chargers

Why disappointed?

The EFACEC charger that ESB uses was firstly launched in 2012. As a reference in 2012 Microsoft pushed the infamous Windows8 so the user interface was what we call now ancient. I know in '22 physical buttons seem from a century ago but their disappearance is not that far away. Some people won't buy cars without physical controls. Next time try the app is has sliders for start as iOS used to have (I haven't use an iPhone since 2012 so don't know if slide to answer™ is still there). I would be disappointed if the charger wouldn't work or I would need to wait to access it although on that route there are plenty of alternatives.

I just watched Bjorn's 1000km challenge with the "fat" Taycan and his "plug and charge" experience at Ionity. I hope they'll improve it.

He basically charges for longer in order to avoid starting another session as the whole auth process takes very long

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was pulling out of a parking space today and I could see an older man in a white taycan looking for a spot. I went alongside him and motioned him for my spot.

I have to say it looked absolutely beautiful. A stunning looking motor.

I saw a red one few weeks back. Stunning. I got to chat with the owner about public charging so studied a bit and must say impressive looking car.

Spotted a white Taycan parked in my estate recently. I think some very lucky kid was getting driven to their communion in it

Absolute thing of beauty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The day I drove home with my new EV, I saw a metallic blue Taycan parked at the local Tesco.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and it's one of the nicer looking EVs in my opinion, but the Taycan is definitely a thing of beauty.

Advertisement