Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I picked up my last wireless Owl from eBay for GBP8 including shipping. Works great but I find the batteries (I used cheap ones) need changing every month or two.

The instructions are very clear. You connect one half of the kit inside your electricity meter box with the CT clamp and you can place the other half anywhere in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Random EV thought: based on how VAG are throttling production of the Mii/Up/Citigo manufacturers with EVs who also sell petrol cars are likely only going to produce enough EVs to avoid or minimize the 2020 fines for cars over 95g/km.

You got it in one, rivegauche. The manufacturers are playing a song game of ICE and fire PHEV / BEV and can manage easily with plenty of margin left without having to make big changes. And all because we didn't set the bar high enough...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

unkel wrote: »
    I picked up my last wireless Owl from eBay for GBP8 including shipping. Works great but I find the batteries (I used cheap ones) need changing every month or two.

The instructions are very clear. You connect one half of the kit inside your electricity meter box with the CT clamp and you can place the other half anywhere in your home.

Very cheap. All the ones I see are way more expensive than this.

What is the exact model of your one ?

Owl intuition. I bought one on adverts.ie for €15 and another on eBay for GBP8

Early bird gets the worm and all. You have to put in the time and the effort to get a bargain.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Owl intuition. I bought one on adverts.ie for €15 and another on eBay for GBP8

Early bird gets the worm and all. You have to put in the time and the effort to get a bargain.

Can you program it to monitor the day and night rates cost.17c for day and 8c for night etc or does it just allow you have one rate for 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pretty much. Depends what your supply voltage is exactly, and what losses you have to heat, but near as makes no difference ~2kW in an hour.

Torque app and a bt OBD2 adapter should tell ya exactly what is going into your car. I have it, if I get a chance I'll plug in this weekend and see (I'm fully charged at the mo so I can't check).

Torque app doesnt do that for me, is there a plugin required??

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Dempsey wrote: »
    Torque app doesnt do that for me, is there a plugin required??

Yes. Don't ask me how it's done. I did it once, and if I remember correctly I floundered a bit before I got it right.
    The guide was for a KIA IIRC but it has ioniq configs.
    https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/setting-up-torque-to-show-bms-data-on-the-ioniq-ev.9962/

Can you program it to monitor the day and night rates cost.17c for day and 8c for night etc or does it just allow you have one rate for 24 hours?

No idea, I just used it to have a look at my net import from the grid (after solar PV production)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have an owl monitor (not sure version) and you can do this

• Advertisement

2014 24 kw leaf

One week ago via leaf spy, status of health was 87.41%. Prior to this, the car was not driven much. Used a small bit but not too much.

One week later it’s 89.26%.

Is this normal?

Checked today and it’s at 90.50%.

Should not be comparing !! But is this normal
    Behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Should not be comparing !! But is this normal
    Behaviour?

Yes, it is constantly guessing total capacity. If you run batteries quite low and charge up to 100% and leave car for a while it will have a very good idea of real capacity. If you never let battery go low the BMS will not be that sure of when each battery cell will go low so it will not be that accurate. Don't worry, just reset it to 100% before you sell car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

It tends to rise in cold weather. Mine has gone up from 87 to 90.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only James May would
    buy a hyrdogen powered car. No surprise really as he was very impressed with a Honda one some years ago.

Alkers wrote: »
    I have an owl monitor (not sure version) and you can do this

Does it have any API to extract data from? Id love something like this, but would also want to hook it into my home automation rather than a standalone app

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

First frosty experience,

1 positive - car nicely warmed prior to departure.
    2 Disaster - Water bottle frozen and no under bonnet heat to defrost, Ballygowan out the window was less than satisfactory to clear the window.

:)

First frosty experience,

2 Disaster - Water bottle frozen and no under bonnet heat to defrost, Ballygowan out the window was less than satisfactory to clear the window.

Bit of antifreeze/de-icer in the washer will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

First frosty experience,

Did it not defrost the window during cabin pre-heating? It should. At least the Leaf does.

On a 2014 leaf, is it ok to flick the gear lever to B when the car is moving. Or is it best to do this when car is stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

KCross wrote: »
    Did it not defrost the window during cabin pre-heating? It should. At least the Leaf does.

It did alright, i had the problem while on the road I tried to rinse the wind screen and bam, smeared Road grime all over the glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

On a 2014 leaf, is it ok to flick the gear lever to B when the car is moving. Or is it best to do this when car is stopped.

Definitely ok. You could change depending on type of road too.

Probably better in this thread.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057470095/55/#post111765106

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I've no idea. But I regularly do this to avoid foot breaking and maximize regen

JPA wrote: »
    Definitely ok. You could change depending on type of road too.

Probably better in this thread.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057470095/55/#post111765106

Yeah I’m just wondering is it safe or ok for the car to do whilst moving..... seems to be fine but just double checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

BMW teasing a 600km range for the i4, probably coming in 2021:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20970807/bmw-i4-ev-sedan-range-la-auto-show-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yeah I’m just wondering is it safe or ok for the car to do whilst moving..... seems to be fine but just double checking.

Definitely safe and ok.

Hi,

I signed up for the below just now. However, its unclear (to me) as to what I will actually be charged.
    I am saving 5 euro a month, but am I getting charged any other fee?

I know I will get charged 0.29 cent per kWh if i use a rapid charger, but are there any other charges here.

Introductory Offer

€0.29 per kWh

Subscription free. Save €5 per month for 12 months and get a lower kWh rate.
    Available when you sign up before the 30th of November 2019.

We charge per unit of electricity known as Kilowatt hour (kWh). The mileage you will get per kWh will depend on your vehicle and driving style. Signing up is quick and easy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi,

I signed up for the below just now. However, its unclear (to me) as to what I will actually be charged.
    I am saving 5 euro a month, but am I getting charged any other fee?

I know I will get charged 0.29 cent per kWh if i use a rapid charger, but are there any other charges here.

Introductory Offer

€0.29 per kWh

Subscription free. Save €5 per month for 12 months and get a lower kWh rate.
    Available when you sign up before the 30th of November 2019.

We charge per unit of electricity known as Kilowatt hour (kWh). The mileage you will get per kWh will depend on your vehicle and driving style. Signing up is quick and easy.

You're charged €0.29 per kwh at rapid chargers, that's all there is to it for now. In a year's time when the introductory offer expires they will start charging you €5 a month (I would switch to the pay as you go option t this point unless you use public rapid chargers an awful lot).

The slower on street chargers are still going to be free for a while yet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're charged €0.29 per kwh at rapid chargers, that's all there is to it for now. In a year's time when the introductory offer expires they will start charging you €5 a month (I would switch to the pay as you go option t this point unless you use public rapid chargers an awful lot).

The slower on street chargers are still going to be free for a while yet.

Ah ok. 2 more questions;

1. Is there something where you get free credit also with this offer?

2. Is there an updated app for iPhone. I have “ecar connect” as in attached. I searched App Store but could not find an updated one. (Thought there was an updated one to allow you stop and start charging or something)

Ah ok. 2 more questions;

1. Is there something where you get free credit also with these offers?

2. Is there an updated app for iPhone. I have “ecar connect” as in attached. I searched App Store but could not find an updated one. (Thought there was an updated one to allow you stop and start charging or something)

1. No. "Free credit" ran between 2010 and Nov 17th 2019. Time to pay up.

2. Not yet. It's supposed to be soon, but as yet, no sign. For now, you can use the new website to start stop charges etc.
    https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger

• Advertisement

1. No. "Free credit" ran between 2010 and Nov 17th 2019. Time to pay up.

2. Not yet. It's supposed to be soon, but as yet, no sign. For now, you can use the new website to start stop charges etc.
    https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger

For 1. It seems like free credit. See attached.

Edit: Or maybe not, I think they are saying the actual card is worth 10 Euro.

Advertisement