Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For 1. It seems like free credit. See attached.

Edit: Or maybe not, I think they are saying the actual card is worth 10 Euro.

That's exactly what it is. Replacement card sounds like it's gonna be €10. Seems a rip off really, though I guess the app is planned to be the free alternative to the card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

That's exactly what it is. Replacement card sounds like it's gonna be €10. Seems a rip off really, though I guess the app is planned to be the free alternative to the card.

I already have a card. (Credit card sizes)

Be great if they had a smaller fob type card to attach to keys. Anyone know of the new card is still credit card sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I already have a card. (Credit card sizes)

Be great if they had a smaller fob type card to attach to keys. Anyone know of the new card is still credit card sized.

It is exactly same card as ones they were giving last year, so credit card sized and same design.

Here's a random EV thought/mention.

Google maps is gearing up to allow you to pay for EV charging through it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-maps-10-30-electric-vehicle-charging-payments-compatible-plugs/

unkel wrote: »
    Owl intuition. I bought one on adverts.ie for €15 and another on eBay for GBP8

Early bird gets the worm and all. You have to put in the time and the effort to get a bargain.

Will these owl things work on the new digital meters (with no spinny wheel etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Will these owl things work on the new digital meters (with no spinny wheel etc)

Yep, they just clamp onto the incomer. No matter what fancy meter you have after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

I'd highly recommend the Owl.

We have ours approx 5 years now. In the first few months it paid for itself - even at full purchase cost of approx €40.

It helped me to hone in on devices that were really uneconomical - one particular lamp was just burning money! I realise that this could have been done without the Owl but using the Owl just made things so much more convenient,

Does the Owl have any integrations? Any APIs to hit? I've home assistant doing all my home automation and metrics gathering, so ideally i'd get something which works with that.
    Shelly energy monitor crossed my mind too.

I want to be able to pull data from it and store it on a local DB I have. From where I can display everything in Grafana, where all my other metrics are.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Does the Owl have any integrations? Any APIs to hit? I've home assistant doing all my home automation and metrics gathering, so ideally i'd get something which works with that.
    Shelly energy monitor crossed my mind too.

I want to be able to pull data from it and store it on a local DB I have. From where I can display everything in Grafana, where all my other metrics are.

It seems to have some form of API but I've never used it: https://theowl.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/201284603-Multicast-UDP-API-Information

Scroll down the page to see some pdfs that have sample data,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Here's a random EV thought/mention.

Google maps is gearing up to allow you to pay for EV charging through it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-maps-10-30-electric-vehicle-charging-payments-compatible-plugs/

Wouldn't it be great to have one app which shows all charge points available, no matter who supplies them, and see if they are free or in use?

No more swapping between ecars / plugshare etc.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great to have one app which shows all charge points available, no matter who supplies them, and see if they are free or in use?

No more swapping between ecars / plugshare etc.

Doesn't Zap Map do that?

handofdog wrote: »
    It seems to have some form of API but I've never used it: https://theowl.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/201284603-Multicast-UDP-API-Information

Cheers. Had a quick google around, and it appears that the OWL transmits its data over 433mhz. I can listen and capture data on 433mhz using rtl_433, and pump that onto an MQTT topic for my automation to consume. That's my theory anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Bjorn found a Leaf in Thailand with 70% degradation. Grey import from Japan from 2011, but sat in a showroom for 5 years until bought in 2016. And being Thailand, it's always hot. Owner says he's getting 40-45km range these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9wIYbTx-xY

I used a raspberrypi and a python script to extract and graph the data.

I'd highly recommend the Owl.

We have ours approx 5 years now. In the first few months it paid for itself - even at full purchase cost of approx €40.

It helped me to hone in on devices that were really uneconomical - one particular lamp was just burning money! I realise that this could have been done without the Owl but using the Owl just made things so much more convenient,

Is there any such thing as just one that you can use on a iPhone for example. Clamp on the wire, app on the phone, view from the comfort of your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is there any such thing as just one that you can use on a iPhone for example. Clamp on the wire, app on the phone, view from the comfort of your phone.

A few here: https://3dinsider.com/home-energy-monitors/

Also: https://www.smappee.com/be_en/homepage?l=en_IE

MJohnston wrote: »

Thanks.
    To be honest not looking for anything over complicated. just something to show my real-time kWh readout from the meter box. any tips?

Thanks.
    To be honest not looking for anything over complicated. just something to show my real-time kWh readout from the meter box. any tips?

He has literally posted you links to options which do what you're asking. Find one that suits your needs and go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

2 Disaster - Water bottle frozen and no under bonnet heat to defrost, Ballygowan out the window was less than satisfactory to clear the window.

:)

I use this in the winter, available at woodies and micksgarage, €10 for 5L
    IDShot_540x540.jpg

No need for that. A €1.29 bottle of concentrated screen wash from Lidl mixed in with 2-3l of water and it will never freeze over in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

unkel wrote: »
    No need for that. A €1.29 bottle of concentrated screen wash from Lidl mixed in with 2-3l of water and it will never freeze over in Ireland.

Mistake on the image as it should be 5L not 2L
    €2/L wont break the bank :D

• Company Representative Posts: 18 Verified rep MicksGarage.com

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I use this in the winter, available at woodies and micksgarage, €10 for 5L
    IDShot_540x540.jpg

Prestone is a brilliant brand as mentioned our 5L bottles are €9.99 at the moment. We'll put a link to the product here: Prestone Screen Wash

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i was charging at a 22kWh charger there while i got some lunch today and when i came back, a UK reg Tesla was charging beside me. Would it not take hours and hours for them to get a decent amount of charge?

Model S, crikey they are lovely!!!

i was charging at a 22kWh charger there while i got some lunch today and when i came back, a UK reg Tesla was charging beside me. Would it not take hours and hours for them to get a decent amount of charge?

Yup. Charges at 11kW/hr as far as I know. Were they just sitting in the car while it charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Could get 25% in 2 hours, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The amount of km added is easily as much as you got in the same time so it’s not so much what % they got but what km they added!

Some of them have a dual charger, so can take 22kW. Which would mean 20% to 80% charge in for a S70 in under 2 hours. A similar 20% to 80% charger would take longer in my 28kWh Ioniq at the same charger getting 7.2kW...

Any good site or app that lets you enter your car type and battery power and it will do a route plan and charging locations along the way? Specifically anyone Irish centric

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Any good site or app that lets you enter your car type and battery power and it will do a route plan and charging locations along the way? Specifically anyone Irish centric

Zap Map

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

https://abetterrouteplanner.com ZapMap is useful for status but not great for planning. ABRP is also great for 'testing' new cars with longer ranges.

Advertisement