Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Forget about Zap Map or any of the other old skool sites. Abetterrouteplanner is king these days.

Linky

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yup. Charges at 11kW/hr as far as I know. Were they just sitting in the car while it charged?

Yes he was

Felt sorry for him having to use that charger, theres no FCP's in Tullamore yet. For the size of the town kts ridicilous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2nd meeting today of the Donegal EV owners group.

When I first went electric in 2015 it was a novelty to see another EV on the road. Today we had about 14 cars on site - i3, Leaf, Zoe, e-Soul, e-Niro, Kona, Ioniq.

4 dealer demos available for test drives, and a mixture of EV owners and potential owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2nd meeting today of the Donegal EV owners group.

When I first went electric in 2015 it was a novelty to see another EV on the road. Today we had about 14 cars on site - i3, Leaf, Zoe, e-Soul, e-Niro, Kona, Ioniq.

4 dealer demos available for test drives, and a mixture of EV owners and potential owners.

Apologies for the filth of the i3...

495981.jpg

495982.jpg

495983.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Yes he was

Felt sorry for him having to use that charger, theres no FCP's in Tullamore yet. For the size of the town kts ridicilous.

I wouldn't be expecting an FCP in Tullamore any time soon. FCPs are intended to be put along main routes for people on a journey. Tullamore isn't on a main route to anywhere.

What is ridiculous is that during recent (and ongoing) street improvements in Tullamore, Athlone & Mullingar, the councils haven't included any on street SCP chargers, such short term thinking by the local authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Anyone know if the CPs at Portlaoise Midway are ever coming back? I think they disappeared 5 or 6 months ago to make way for the Apple green filling station and I kind of expected to see them return at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

_dof_ wrote: »
    What is ridiculous is that during recent (and ongoing) street improvements in Tullamore, Athlone & Mullingar, the councils haven't included any on street SCP chargers, such short term thinking by the local authorities.

Is it up to the local authorities to do this?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Genghis wrote: »
    Anyone know if the CPs at Portlaoise Midway are ever coming back? I think they disappeared 5 or 6 months ago to make way for the Apple green filling station and I kind of expected to see them return at some point.

Id hope the reason is that applegreen plan to expand out their own chargers. Afaik right now they only have 1 station with an apple green charger... Birdhill is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I wouldn't be expecting an FCP in Tullamore any time soon. FCPs are intended to be put along main routes for people on a journey. Tullamore isn't on a main route to anywhere.

People still need to be able to travel around regionally.

You also need to consider what future planning for Tullamore is. Will it have population expansion for example.

If you are wanting everyone to move to EVs for new cars in 2030 then places like Tullamore WILL need rapid charging.

We don't tell the people of Tullamore - well you can either have a diesel tank at home or drive to the main road to get fuel...

No there are petrol stations there and for me if a place has enough cars and people for a petrol station then a rapid charger is perfectly appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Tullamore hospital takes in people from far and wide such as staff and visitors that would benefit from a fast charger.

Even second hand 50 kW Efacec units could be installed in petrol stations or the hospital if their current locations are upgraded to >100 kW charge points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Neither would i but its still on one of the main routes going from any north-western county heading down south, south-east.

I asked the same question about the street enhancement works going on in all main towns and not one charger is proposed. Councils aren't interested.

As an EV driver, i'd be less likely to day visit a town that doesn't have a fast charger in it, or near it. Tullamore isn't the worst around the country. The forgotten north west is still only for the brave EV drivers. Same story with the wild atlantic way pretty much

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

As an EV driver, i'd be less likely to day visit a town that doesn't have a fast charger in it, or near it. Tullamore isn't the worst around the country. The forgotten north west is still only for the brave EV drivers. Same story with the wild atlantic way pretty much

I think we have 3 in donegal.... getting here could be a different story ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

graememk wrote: »
    I think we have 3 in donegal.... getting here could be a different story ;)

I did Wexford to Malin Head in my Ioniq last December. Not a bother, neither there nor back. :cool:

Old diesel wrote: »
    We don't tell the people of Tullamore - well you can either have a diesel tank at home or drive to the main road to get fuel...

No there are petrol stations there and for me if a place has enough cars and people for a petrol station then a rapid charger is perfectly appropriate.

The majority of EV drivers they do have the equivalent of petrol stations at home. Most people should be charging at home and be able to leave home each morning with 100% charge. EV owners without onstreet parking need to have a solution provided by the local authorities, but that should be SCPs, not FCPs.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is it up to the local authorities to do this?

The government allocated funding to the local authorities to facilitate this in the last budget. If the government is serious about the climate emergency and the drive to have 1 million EVs on the roads in 10 years, then government needs to get the finger out. Government includes local government in this regard.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Neither would i but its still on one of the main routes going from any north-western county heading down south, south-east.

I asked the same question about the street enhancement works going on in all main towns and not one charger is proposed. Councils aren't interested.

Yes, there are very few local authorities that have any forward thinking around EVs. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown seem to be a bit ahead of the game, they've trialled streetlamp based chargers.

No reason that Offaly or Westmeath Co. Cos. couldn't have done the same or similar in the recent street upgrades. Why can't every parking spot have a post in front of it that could include a charger or be upgraded to a charger in the future.

There's also the crazy situtation of some local authorities charging for parking while charging. The majority don't, but in Dublin they do, and it's not clear to EV drivers where parking is payable or not. PLenty of cases of people from the country getting clamed in Dublin while charging because they didn't realize that payment was required.

Central government should force local authorities to align on this (probably initially to free parking while charging and reverting to paid parking once the percentage of EVs has increased).

Tullamore hospital takes in people from far and wide such as staff and visitors that would benefit from a fast charger.

Even second hand 50 kW Efacec units could be installed in petrol stations or the hospital if their current locations are upgraded to >100 kW charge points.

I'd imagine most visitors to the hospital come from within 50km radius, so shouldn't really need an FCP to get there, and there's an FCP in Kilbeggan only around 10km away, on a main route.

The hospital should have a bank of AC SCPs in the carpark, or maybe 22kw DC chargers, so you can get a good charge in the time you spend in the hospital, without having to stay with the car. It's destination chargers that are needed in that case.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be FCPs, just that no company is going to see Tullamore as a main target for FCPs, they'll focus on the main routes, since FCPs are intended to be for perople on a longer journey, stop of for a break and a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Are there any reasons why petrol station companies have not started more broadly investing in charging infrastructure? It seems like a no-brainer to me, given that most of them currently sell fuel at a loss or close to it in order to draw customers for their overpriced food and groceries. Is it just the expensive outlay cost of fast chargers?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are there any reasons why petrol station companies have not started more broadly investing in charging infrastructure? It seems like a no-brainer to me, given that most of them currently sell fuel at a loss or close to it in order to draw customers for their overpriced food and groceries. Is it just the expensive outlay cost of fast chargers?
    I suppose the difference is that unlike petrol/diesel, you can charge up almost anywhere and as it usually takes far longer to juice up than an ICE vehicle, most drivers don't want to be hanging around a filling station. Chargers at restaurants & supermarkets will do far better.

Motorway service stations have a restaurant on site so people can have a meal while they're charging.

• Advertisement

Looking at the ESB map, i'd say Cavan, Sligo (south side), Roscommon, Clifden, Tralee, Mallow, Bantry and Dungarvan are the gaps I see.

Bold are the main ones I see gaps.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's actually a rapid charger in roscommon but it isn't ecars, easy go or ionity. One of the filling stations installed it themselves.

I suppose the difference is that unlike petrol/diesel, you can charge up almost anywhere and as it usually takes far longer to juice up than an ICE vehicle, most drivers don't want to be hanging around a filling station. Chargers at restaurants & supermarkets will do far better.

Motorway service stations have a restaurant on site so people can have a meal while they're charging.

Well the service stations are the ones I'm thinking of really, but its ultimately most of the same companies in either case. Just think it's remarkable that Applegreen are largely letting ESB and Tesla rake it in on their turf. Perhaps they charge a fee to those companies, but I can't help but think they'd want to be getting into the charging game themselves much earlier than they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are there any reasons why petrol station companies have not started more broadly investing in charging infrastructure?

Cost.

You are looking at 6 figure sums for the basics. 7 figure sums for larger multi bay installs with 175kW+ chargers.
    You'll need to sell alot of coffee and buns to make that back!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well the service stations are the ones I'm thinking of really, but its ultimately most of the same companies in either case. Just think it's remarkable that Applegreen are largely letting ESB and Tesla rake it in on their turf. Perhaps they charge a fee to those companies, but I can't help but think they'd want to be getting into the charging game themselves much earlier than they have.

I've stopped at the applegreens on the motorway and hardly ever get fuel there, but usually end up in subway if up north or Burger King down south, it's not to get fuel it's to sell food etc

If you know you can get charged there on a long run, and it's right there, no searching needed.

Although Tesla have like 8 bays and esb ecars have 1?

graememk wrote: »
    I've stopped at the applegreens on the motorway and hardly ever get fuel there, but usually end up in subway if up north or Burger King down south, it's not to get fuel it's to sell food etc

If you know you can get charged there on a long run, and it's right there, no searching needed.

Although Tesla have like 8 bays and esb ecars have 1?

Aye that's Applegreen M1 Castlebellingham North - I was quite surprised by the huge number of Tesla SCs. The single ESB charger (fast charging wasn't working on it a few weeks ago) is stuck in the furthest possible corner from the station (and quickly flooded last time I was there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I'd imagine most visitors to the hospital come from within 50km radius, so shouldn't really need an FCP to get there, and there's an FCP in Kilbeggan only around 10km away, on a main route.

The hospital should have a bank of AC SCPs in the carpark, or maybe 22kw DC chargers, so you can get a good charge in the time you spend in the hospital, without having to stay with the car. It's destination chargers that are needed in that case.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be FCPs, just that no company is going to see Tullamore as a main target for FCPs, they'll focus on the main routes, since FCPs are intended to be for perople on a longer journey, stop of for a break and a charge.

Was mainly hoping here that the eCars 50 kW chargers could be repurposed. Sharing the load would suit short-ish stays like 90 minutes, not long enough stay for destination chargers to be installed.

Effectively using the triple heads as a 22kW DC (with the AC also) charge point instead if buying new 22kW AC units that may well be used at 7kW most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's actually a rapid charger in roscommon but it isn't ecars, easy go or ionity. One of the filling stations installed it themselves.
    Rapid ish.
    25kW afair

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Rapid ish.
    25kW afair

They were saying 80kw before it went in but I thought it was 50kw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

A reasonably equipped electric Skoda Citygo (with an extended warranty) can be had for about €16,000 in Germany after all the subsidies.

I am hesitating between that a well equipped e-Golf for €26,000. In both cases, it would be second family car for city runs (and 150km/day round trip commute for a year or so).

In either cases, I hope to hold on to the car for a good few years.

Advertisement