Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Can you explain the €10K bonus ? I’m aware of the €5K SEAI grant off a new car and I assume €2.4K is related to a PV install. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I don't know what you mean by a Sharpie, anyway, my old spinning wheel type meter had been changed by esbn to a smart meter. Esbn told me I am allowed one free requested (by me) meter change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Although the max vrt exemption is impossible due to it tapering off above 40k

Max is about 2800 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

The upgrade of older day-night / night storage / 3 phase meters is happening from Autumn 2023 according to ESB meter upgrade FAQ website.

All smart meter upgrades should be at no additional cost as its already factored in as part of network charges.

[Edit: fixed link]

Post edited by wassie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That link wasn't working for me, here's another one

Ugh, I was hoping to get a year or two of deemed export before getting switched over 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

You can, but you will lose any feed in tariffs for solar PV

You can stay on the day/night tariff after it's installed, but if you go to a smart plan there's no going back

And yet they can't set a smart meter as a D/N meter, or so they say... Where obviously they can. The more you look at the whole electricity set-up the more rotten it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Leaf 62 fully charged. Reading 350km

Went to aldi and back. Circa 10km journey through busy traffic with e pedal on.

Returned home to a reading of 353km. Surely battery cant hold the extra 3? Men of science explain this to me. Bad programming for the display?

• Advertisement

There's a reason they call the GOM the Guess O Meter 😉

The 350km was based off your most recent driving, it gets updated continuously as you drive and your consumption is measured

We've been having decent weather today, your consumption has probably gone down

As someone told me a while back, don't assume corruption is at work when incompetence could be the more likely explanation

From what I could gather, the problem with switching the D/N meters over was that they record the meter readings separately, whereas a smart meter just reports a single reading every 30 mins and leaves it to ESBN to sort out the details

I absolutely could believe that ESBN ordered a bunch of smart meters without checking they were compatible first

Or just as possible is that they needed the developer of the meters to implement that feature before they rolled it out

I don't know if there's any hardware differences between the 24 hour smart meters and D/N smart meters, it's quite possible that a software update is all that was required

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah I think its a literal thing that you cant press the button and get the required reading up on the screen (yes i know day = day+peak) on a day night meter,

Ive seen a smart meter it has 24hrs, Day, peak, night, export (and the apparent power readings), thats why then can just drop into a 24 hr plan.

It is very likely its a software change to show the total day and total night on the screen. so now they can go do the drop in replacement of the Day/Night

(currently my day night has 3 readings, and is shown in this order : 0: 24 hrs, 2: Day, 1: Night with the writing on the meter explaining what the numbers mean).. Ah it might not be just a software, maybe some printing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is Seat being left to die as a brand? I know Cupra is part of Seat, but it seems Seat have no plans for Seat branded EVs, according to the CEO. Just budget ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ESBN aren't exactly quick off the mark with turning around meter changes. I requested one, smart upgrade, back in October and still waiting. I was told it was around 4-6 months at best to get it changed. My current meter you see was changed by the previous owners to a pre pay meter so although I am operating it as a regular meter(that was a faff getting it done) it isn't suitable for a charger install(needs to be at cabinet for my house). I asked Electric Ireland to submit a request as well(only 2 weeks ago), you can on their website. I'm currently granny charging a PHEV, not end of the world(7 hours for a Tucson), but would be nice to get a charger installed. My grant is running out, no big deal just submitting a new request but you'd think after 5 months they might have pencilled in a change. I'd say If I paid for it it would be done sharpish. I had wondered why I wasn't getting a meter done 2 years ago when my neighbours were. Apparently when you change it for a Pre Pay meter it is considered a "New" meter so they didn't include my MPRN for the national upgrade. I'm on the list apparently as I simply called up ESBN and asked.

When I moved in my Gas Meter was also pre paid and I had to pay €200 to change it to a newer meter read version. It was done 3 business days later. The supplier had a €200 joining bonus so that was helpful.

I assume they aren't getting rid of the brand but it's hard to see where the future is for them.

Perhaps they're planning to eventually just roll Cupra into the Seat brand entirely, so there'd be a load of Seat EVs and a Cupra version of them

Stupidity reigns supreme

So it looks like the compromise is that there'll be a category of vehicles which run only on e-fuels, which seems to be the new buzzword for synthetic fuels

These new vehicles will have some mechanism to ensure they can't be run on fossil fuels, which will no doubt inspire a whole new generation of fuel scammers

No mention exactly how this mechanism will work, or who exactly is going to buy those cars. With fuels being estimated to cost €2-3/l, it'll be a pretty expensive hobby

All this nonsense so Jurgen can drive around in his BMW M5 and listen to his van engine bang away

I can't but be amused that the market loving neoliberal FDP party is trying to use regulations to keep a dying industry alive 😏

From now on, odd numbered Audi's will be ICE and even numbers will be electric

But the electric models will also be called e-tron, I guess because not everyone will immediately know the even number means electric

And the Audi A4 will become the A5, and the A6 becomes the A7

This is the kind of solution that only makes sense to someone from Audi 🤦‍♂️

No mention of where the PHEVs will sit, I'm guessing they'll be odd numbered since they're derivatives of the ICE platform

Remember that "experiment" that VW did years ago where they pumped a load of diesel fumes into a room full of monkeys to try and show they weren't harmful? I feel like someone did the same in the Audi boardroom and this is the end result 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

Please tell me that's a made up story about VW pumping exhaust fumes into a room of monkeys.

• Advertisement

These are modern times, an Audi PHEV can choose to be whatever number it wants to be 😉

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The experiments were conducted by a group called European Research Group on Environment and Health (EUTG) a group that was funded by Daimler, VW and BMW. Each of the manufactures distanced themselves from the group after the tests came to light.

True, although the EUTG didn't conduct the research, they operated more like a lobbying group which paid labs to conduct research to prove diesel engines were safe

You can all probably guess how well that went

VW got particularly bad press over it because the vehicle used to generate the fumes was a Beetle

The great irony is that the Beetle used had the emmisions defeating software on board and as a result the exhaust fumes were a lot cleaner than in normal conditions

Not that the experiment had any scientific validity anyway, sounds like it was just an elaborate PR stunt with some animal torture thrown in for effects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't think there's much point in having skoda and seat in the vw group which both sit somewhere must slightly below the VW brand in the hierarchy. Kinda occupy the same market and cannibalise each other. Although I know they cannibalise VW sales too.

So Cupra as a brand was born, pardon the pun. Seat apparently are going to concentrate on e mobility like scooters etc long term. I can seat disappearing as a brand of cars in next few years once cupra establishes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Seat and Cupra may merge again in time under the Cupra name. Cupra's quality isn't great but the brand appears to be doing well and has its place in the market creating flashy cars for 30-something-year-olds. VW, Skoda, and Seat are quite evenly matched but I see Skoda differentiating itself from VW as the more conservative brand of the two while VW pumps out slippery-looking EVs over the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

Also, we're looking at this from an Irish perspective with no indigenous brands.

The Seat brand will be worth a few % of market share in Iberia just because of the badge.

Skoda is a bit harder to pin down, since the Czech/Slovak market would be quite small compared to Spanish/Portugese.

Theirs is more of a value proposition than Seat's I think. 15 years ago you would not have seen any German registered Skodas, but that had changed by around 5 years ago with many perceiving Skoda to be better value than the VW equivalent. I'm not sure if that's still the case and if there is any longer better value to be had with Skoda, especially with EVs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's how the brands distanced themselves. Brand funds industry group, industry group pays lab to test effect of emissions, lab comes up with own test protocol. Layers of separation that results in headline VW gasses monkey.

Maybe, although I'm not sure the Spanish will be too happy with their flagship car brand being disposed of

The great thing about plans is they change every day it seems. Remember when VW said they'd retire the Golf brand and replace it with the ID.3? And then they did a complete U turn a few months ago?

So it's quite possible Seat will stay around. They've got an advantage that they'll have a lot of EV manufacturing experience by the time ICE sales end in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Roscrea circle k offline past while. Any idea what's going on thar?

Advertisement