Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

air wrote: »
    Easy calculate the flow rate with the nominal power (294MW), head (549m) & quoted one way efficiency (86.6%)

In any case it appears to be huge (ballpark 63m3/s) and the temperature rise is less than I expected at < 1 degree C each way even at the 30% round trip efficiency based on a back of the envelope analysis.

Yeah, water is pretty damn expensive to heat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Water John wrote:
    Pumped storage has an 80% efficiency. The pump becomes the generator, same as an EV.
    This is very unlikely. You have to use electricity to pump it against the gravity and then let it flow down and generate electricity via a standard hydro turbine, which is 90% efficient (generated by simple gravity action and kinetic energy of the falling water mass transformed into kinetic energy of the turbine which then is converted to an electromagnetic energy). Means you lose half of the energy it by durst investing energy in pumping the water against the gravity to a higher level. So 45% at best I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

McGiver wrote: »
    This is very unlikely. You have to use electricity to pump it against the gravity and then let it flow down and generate electricity via a standard hydro turbine, which is 90% efficient (generated by simple gravity action and kinetic energy of the falling water mass transformed into kinetic energy of the turbine which then is converted to an electromagnetic energy). Means you lose half of the energy it by durst investing energy in pumping the water against the gravity to a higher level. So 45% at best I'd say.

Why are you making guesses when it's a well researched technology? https://setis.ec.europa.eu/publications/setis-magazine/power-storage/europe-experience-pumped-storage-boom

• Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Large turbines turn 15/18 revs/min. So car charged in 15 sec of generation.
    Hydro has the big adv of a quick startup, about 12 sec. Great for unexpected drops. Battery would be much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Water John wrote: »
    Large turbines turn 15/18 revs/min. So car charged in 15 sec of generation.
    Hydro has the big adv of a quick startup, about 12 sec. Great for unexpected drops. Battery would be much quicker.

That's a rather broad generalisation.
    The rotational speed is inversely proportional to the blade radius to maintain the approprite tip speed ratio and absolute tip speed within allowable limits.
    So the bigger the turbine the slower it turns in general.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote:
    Why are you making guesses when it's a well researched technology?

Ah sure look it, didn't want to Google.
    70 to 80% is impressive. Losing 25% of the excess energy isn't bad.

There's nothing more frustrating than the stingy length of the ecars charging cables.

Okay, there's one thing more frustrating - on a long trip, arriving to a service station FC that was free all morning, then missing it by literally 5 minutes.

WTF - finally got the FCP, was on it 2 and a half minutes, left to grab a coffee and someone in a Nissan has managed to stop my charge??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MJohnston wrote: »
    WTF - finally got the FCP, was on it 2 and a half minutes, left to grab a coffee and someone in a Nissan has managed to stop my charge??

Known issue where scanning your card stops the other charge.

By known issue, do you mean it happens occasionally? I scanned mine to get the SCP to work and it didn’t disconnect this other car?

• Advertisement

Also - how on earth can that be a known issue for more than a week? ESB need to hire a software developer to fix it asap

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

By known issue, do you mean it happens occasionally? I scanned mine to get the SCP to work and it didn’t disconnect this other car?
    Also - how on earth can that be a known issue for more than a week? ESB need to hire a software developer to fix it asap

It's been a known issue for the guts of a year I think, have heard plenty reports of chademo users knocking off CCS charging. They guy probably knew what he was doing tbh.

What you mean SCP? I thought you were at an FCP?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's been a known issue for the guts of a year I think, have heard plenty reports of chademo users knocking off CCS charging. They guy probably knew what he was doing tbh.

What you mean SCP? I thought you were at an FCP?

I plugged in the CCS, went inside for a pitstop, checked the BMW app and saw "not charging", checked ESB and it said it had stopped charging after 2 minutes. So I went outside, Nissan driver was gone but hooked up to Chademo and charging. So then I unplugged, scanned to activate the AC charging, and plugged in. I suppose that's still Fast AC and a FCP.

I plugged in the CCS, went inside for a pitstop, checked the BMW app and saw "not charging", checked ESB and it said it had stopped charging after 2 minutes. So I went outside, Nissan driver was gone but hooked up to Chademo and charging. So then I unplugged, scanned to activate the AC charging, and plugged in. I suppose that's still Fast AC and a FCP.

Sorry I get you now, Fast AC won't stop the CCS or Chademo because you can use it alongside no problem. Only one of CCS or Chademo can be used at any time though,but sometimes activating the chademo wheil the CCS is in use will stop the CCS.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sorry I get you now, Fast AC won't stop the CCS or Chademo because you can use it alongside no problem. Only one of CCS or Chademo can be used at any time though,but sometimes activating the chademo wheil the CCS is in use will stop the CCS.

To me, as a software guy, that seems like the kind of critical bug you'd drop everything to fix. But I'm guessing ESB just bought some off the shelf charger with its own built in software that they have no intention of modifying.

I'll definitely be using the Ionity at Stamullen on the way home anyway, no pesky Nissans there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So then I unplugged, scanned to activate the AC charging, and plugged in. I suppose that's still Fast AC and a FCP.

No, all you'll get from that is 7kW, the same as your home charge point... not fast at all.

MJohnston wrote:
    Hang on, so you were connected to the CCS and the other fella just plugged in Chademo while you were charging and that terminated your session?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

air wrote: »
    That's a rather broad generalisation.
    The rotational speed is inversely proportional to the blade radius to maintain the approprite tip speed ratio and absolute tip speed within allowable limits.
    So the bigger the turbine the slower it turns in general.

In fact 10MW ones run as slow as 2rpm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

McGiver wrote: »
    Hang on, so you were connected to the CCS and the other fella just plugged in Chademo while you were charging and that terminated your session?

Yes it happens. I think you have to plug the Chademo and then scan your card. At least every time it happened to me the chademo user first plugged in their car and then tried to see if their option is available. If I would get out to say that it does not work they would swear that last time they charged along with another CCS car.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with the software more with ground sensing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

innrain wrote: »
    Yes it happens. I think you have to plug the Chademo and then scan your card. At least every time it happened to me the chademo user first plugged in their car and then tried to see if their option is available. If I would get out to say that it does not work they would swear that last time they charged along with another CCS car.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with the software more with ground sensing.

In fairness to them, it does appear to work. The CCS car is charging, they plug in and CHAdeMO starts working. Most are probably ignorant to the fact they've just knocked off someone elses charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just making sure the cars are fully charged with the storm coming.

Had a glitch with the Kona. The dash occasionally going blank. Had to get a software upgrade.

liamog wrote: »
    In fairness to them, it does appear to work. The CCS car is charging, they plug in and CHAdeMO starts working. Most are probably ignorant to the fact they've just knocked off someone elses charge.

The problems will happen when there are 2 users ignorant to this issue - one already charging on CCS and then they get knocked off and they accuse the Chademo user of doing it on purpose. I knew enough to know that the Nissan was likely the cause but not necessarily to blame, if that makes sense.

Of course, if there had been two FCPs at Castlebellingham North, there would not have been this issue (and of course I was sat there on AC staring at 6 or 8 empty Superchargers!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That wind is tough on range today. I was driving eastwards earlier and was getting 6kms/kWh but this evening coming home heading west....down to 3.9kms/kWh. Was driving same speed but 2 less people coming home.

Got home with 14kms left!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

charlieIRL wrote: »
    That wind is tough on range today. I was driving eastwards earlier and was getting 6kms/kWh but this evening coming home heading west....down to 3.9kms/kWh. Was driving same speed but 2 less people coming home.

Got home with 14kms left!!!

I hear ya. Did a journey today and would normally be 100 down to 70 %. Today was 100 down to 55%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The problems will happen when there are 2 users ignorant to this issue - one already charging on CCS and then they get knocked off and they accuse the Chademo user of doing it on purpose. I knew enough to know that the Nissan was likely the cause but not necessarily to blame, if that makes sense.

Of course, if there had been two FCPs at Castlebellingham North, there would not have been this issue (and of course I was sat there on AC staring at 6 or 8 empty Superchargers!)

I would not even touch the FCP if I see a Chademo car charging. I would try to asses how long it will take them to finish. With the new webapp I can see when they've started and if that's close to 45 mins I might wait. Does the Chademo user doing it on purpose? I don't care. To blame them for being selfish is like to blame those driving on the bus lane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I would not even touch the FCP if I see a Chademo car charging. I would try to asses how long it will take them to finish. With the new webapp I can see when they've started and if that's close to 45 mins I might wait. Does the Chademo user doing it on purpose? I don't care. To blame them for being selfish is like to blame those driving on the bus lane.

If you are driving in the bus lane, then you are being a selfish person!
    I suspect there may be one or two CHAdeMO users who've figured out the "trick" that you can force disconnect a CCS car. Most people are probably doing it accidentally, what's the saying? "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." In this case, it's more like ignorance than stupidity, but the point stands.

What I meant is - I guessed there was probably some technical explanation for why the Nissan charging kicked me off, rather than it being the user who did it intentionally. So I didn't confront them about it.

But there's going to come a situation where someone gets kicked off of CCS by an unaware Chademo user, and a row will start.

Remarkable and saddening that this has been a bug for long enough that so many are aware of it though. Says a lot about ESB’s (lack of) commitment to a functioning charging network.

Remarkable and saddening that this has been a bug for long enough that so many are aware of it though. Says a lot about ESB’s (lack of) commitment to a functioning charging network.

[ConspiracyTheory]Maybe the lead engineer drives a Leaf[/ConspiracyTheory]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

liamog wrote: »
    [ConspiracyTheory]Maybe the lead engineer drives a Leaf[/ConspiracyTheory]

If your going to do a credible conspiracy theory, make it a team of engineers who live near all Rapid chargers and drive outlanders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

kanuseeme wrote: »
    If your going to do a credible conspiracy theory, make it a team of engineers who live near all Rapid chargers and drive outlanders.

And half of the outlanders aren't the PHEV type - they just like the free parking

Advertisement