Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

just curious,

did you ever get the test drive of the plaid s/x?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Iffy builds according to reviews in any case. The coolest F150 is the blacked Raptor. I know it’s an ICE but looks amazing on silver rims

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Ford Australia are setting up (via a 3rd party manufacturer) a purpose built factory for LHD conversions of the F150 twin-turbo V6 that covered by manufacturers warranty. (Similar programs exist for the Chev Silverado Dodge RAM). If the program is successful, this could be carried over to the Lightning, however it will probably be a couple of years before they would be available for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

298 euro for 15,000km annual mileage. I know EVs are cheap to run but that's rediculous. If I put in ICE reg U get this

So they seem to have zero fuel cost for EV and zero service cost. Very off in my man maths.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Needs a giant asterisk, only applies for 100% home charging from a fully off the grid system who's costs have already been paid. I suppose it's technically possible and probably already close to being achieved by a few posters here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well if I add in the electricity costs for my ID.4 on the Flogas community plan night rate, that's an extra €438 roughly

On the Pinergy tariff it's €150

Service was €170 every 2 years, so €85 per year

So let's say €825 per year for the EV?

It's a bit silly not including the service costs and electricity. I assume it's partly down to electricity prices being a lot more varied than fuel

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nope, had one booked but was horrendously sick on the morning so didnt go.

If I were to buy a non EV pickup I'd buy something with 6 cylinders, an oil based fuel, and a male sheep head as a logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Not in this country. We are still struggling to get to terms with what a proper EV charging 'hub' looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Interesting idea. The devil is in the details of course - savings of “up to £1.3bn by 2050” seems low, and they don’t speculate on what % of the spaces would need to be EVs, never mind the fact that many owners may not want their EV to be adding power cycles to the battery while they’re away on 2 weeks holiday.

wouldn’t this idea be far more effective and easier to implement at home, once all EVs supported vehicle-2-grid, and people with lesser used EVs effectively have their own tesla powerwall sitting on the drive? You’d imagine the savings are infinitely higher too - the car is on the driveway almost every day of the year, versus how often it might be at an airport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

They envision using all 140,000 airport spaces. Everything else typically vague. Is that £1.3bn in total by 2050 or per annum. In today's money or 2050's money?

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/news/airport-car-parks-sleeping-giant-of-the-uk-s-energy-transition

Does that mean that each of those spaces will need a V2G capable charger? If so, then at £1,000 per space that's a CAPEX of £1.4bn. Is that included in the 'savings'. I think this 'study' originated in their Marketing Dept and not their R&D Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bit of a silly article to focus on a tiny, tiny fraction of all cars that happen to be parked at long term parking. What about the overwhelming majority of cars parked at home or at work? Focus on that first

But yes, V2G is the holy grail for grid stabilisation, as it is based on battery storage this is there or will be there already. "Just" have to hook it up to the grid, and have bi-directional charging and a charge / pay model for the owners to sign up to...

Two major obstacles to that bi-directional charging. First of all, if you go the AC route which makes sense, almost no cars, past or present, have the hardware that can do that and most manufactures have no plans to very soon add it.

So makes more sense to hook up directly to the battery with DC, bypassing all that. Pretty much all EVs on the road today and produced in future will have CCS DC fast charging. Grand that is settled so.....not so fast, there isn't even an agreed standard for bi-directional CCS charging, this is still a year or two away last time I looked

Progress is so slow 😔

I kinda think there's some merit to the airport idea, you have a good idea of how many cars will be there in advance, and there's usually an airport nearby with a huge grid connection

Tbh it seems simpler to just power the airport and not worry about grid stabilisation

I think V2H is the holy grail personally, both for consumers and the grid. Easiest way to stabilise the grid is to flatten the demand curve so generators can just keep chipping away at their optimum performance

If there was a wallbox for around €2k that could output 5-6kW from my car's battery into the house then the whole thing becomes an AC coupled battery and I've got 77kWh available on demand

Much easier from a regulatory point of view, just need the same testing as any solar PV inverter

I'm dreaming though, any DC wallbox will probably be closer to €5k plus installation 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

interesting bi directional charging just came up as a topic....

Germany launched a scheme on Monday subsidising solar panels + battery + Ev charger by just over €10k, with a pot of 300 million euro, and it was so enthusiastically embraced that within hours the scheme was closed for new applicants. Only house owners with private regular Evs (no plug in hybrid, no twizzys etc) could apply.

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/energie/foerderprogramm-solarstrom-e-autos-100.html

One of the main catches of the scheme is that the installed system must be able to feed back power to the grid at peak times from the car and/ or static battery system.

@munchkin_utd - "One of the main catches of the scheme is that the installed system must be able to feed back power to the grid at peak times from the car and/ or static battery system."

Any hybrid inverter can feed back to the grid from a static battery

€10k subsidy, that's madness. Basically a complete mid size PV system with battery for free. Paid for by the tax payer. No wonder the kitty went empty straight away. Just 30k people got lucky. What about the other 80m Germans? Goes to show how ridiculous subsidies are. 30k installs is barely a drop in the bucket. Might as well have sent the whole country a lotto ticket with 30k price winners of €10k cash, tax free 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

some interesting outside the box thinking by france.

seeing as we don't have a car industry to protect i can't see our govt rolling a €100/m scheme like this.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tying the grant to carbon emissions during manufacture is a clever move for a country who's electricity is generated by low carbon nuclear power.

We do have a car sales industry to protect, not to mention a valuable source of income for the government through car tax and VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

What is it with the French and leasing when it comes to EVs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Car sales in Ireland cover the whole spectrum, i.e. vehicles can come from anywhere in the world. The French are restricting the scheme to EU made vehicles (with an eye on protecting their car manufacturing industry e.g. Peugeot).

The irish government will get their tax and vrt no matter where the car is made.

From a protectionist standpoint there is little incentive to roll out a similar scheme, from an environmental standpoint well that's a different story.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What about the other 80m Germans?

The thing was unjust to begin with, a pot of cash to those who have seen their property soar in value over the past years (eg, average house price in Munich was tipping 1.5million a couple of years back) whilst so many others are locked out of the property market. Thats aside from them being in the position to PRIVATELY buy an Ev (company cars were excluded) to park outside their house, so again lads with enough resources that they dont need their pockets lined further.

The money would have been far better invested in public charging infrastructure but it wasnt.

BTW, the scheme required that you install a home battery - you couldnt just install the solar panels and a wallbox and use your car as your battery, the 2 way charging of the car is just an extra backup to run appliances on to save you needing to tap into the grid (or something like that)

Looks like VW still aren't getting the message 😕

The headline is somewhat misleading, so for some clarity the ID.3 and Cupra Born production is being suspended for 2 weeks in both Zwickau and Dresden to line up with the autumn holiday in Saxony

Incidentally, I want to live in Saxony now where you apparently get 2 weeks off in autumn 😁

ID.4 and it's siblings will continue production at their current pace

I think in Zwickau they produce the ID.4 family on one line and the ID.3 family on the other. Dresden is all ID.3 in fairly low volumes

Probably of greater significance is the termination of the existing 3 shift contract between VW and Zwickau

What is not said is that they're reducing the number of shifts, although this is obviously a possibility. They're negotiating a new contract, which could be a reduction in shifts, a reduction in the scope of the night shift or lowering of shift premiums for workers or basically anything else from what I can see

Reading between the lines, I suspect VW is going to try and save money on production either by reducing salaries, cutting jobs or increasing productivity

As I said, I still don't think VW are getting the message, they're effectively pricing themselves out of the hatchback market

Reducing production costs will help, but they need to release a base spec 45kWh ID.3 for under €30k (like they promised) to compete with the likes of BYD and MG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

The money would have been far better invested in public charging infrastructure but it wasnt.

From what I read there is sweet money in the infrastructure as well.

The original article. Also this is the phase 1 of the program. The state selected the locations and companies tendered for them

I use browser translation so maybe I loose some context but it seems to me a quite decent effort.

I thought VW were positioning themselves as a premium German brand rather than trying to compete with Chinese manufacturers

VW have huge sales (of EVs) in China. Competition is a relative thing. As long as you can add perceived value, quality and status, you can charge more for your product. Even in a market with cut throat competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People keep mentioning the $15k ID.3. What are we supposed to do with that information? Some people seem to use it to get mad that VW are being greedy because they're €45k in Europe yet nobody is complaining that a Kona or Prius is also €45k.

Are they paying German wages in China? Are they following the same health and safety audits/ISO standards? Are the cars getting all the same collision detection and safety tech? Are VW China on the same manufacturing level as Zwickau or are they purposely using old technology to prevent copyright infringement like Intel China for example? I literally have zero context to care about a $15k ID.3. It could be a piece of ****, zero spec, no safety standard car for all I know or like old Dacia Dusters banged together with hammers in Romania.

All I know is that VW have a whole line of Chinese exclusive models and that their EV market is currently very competitive. Is that a good price for China car sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement

I thought they were experiencing double digit drop in sales in China. Still a huge market for them all right.

Advertisement