Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

The new 5 will be the first all-electric Renault to feature vehicle-to-grid (V2G) compatibility, which will be able to intelligently feed electricity back into your home when electricity tariffs are high, or even into the grid itself if demand requires it. There’s no negative effect on battery life according to Renault, with the service being available through a home-installed wallbox terminal designed by Mobilize and accompanied by a special electricity contract. The V2G system will be available in 2024 in France and Germany, before arriving in the UK in 2025.

interesting...not a fan of having a contract in place to feed power back into the house. i wonder will the same contract setup apply to ireland.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

What is with Renault and non-mainstream ownership models?

They also tried battery leasing which I think went down like a lead balloon in most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I assume the specified contract will just be a guaranteed FIT rate? But the cynic in me suspects that it may allow them to throttle at peak times or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any known issues with 2020/2021 Peugeot 208? is it a bad idea to buy one of the cheaper ones on donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Unusual pricing with different rates at different times, I wonder what happens if you cross from one time into the next one.

-----

We are delighted and so proud to support our local community of Moy with our NEW 80KW EV CHARGER 😊 

All the hard work has paid off and we are now officially LIVE AND OPERATING! 

So buckle up and brum brum with EurosparMoy 😀

Winter Weekday daytime rate 7am-3pm 66p/kwh

Winter Weekday evening rate 3pm-9pm 70p/kwh

Winter Weekday overnight rate 9pm-7am 47p/kwh

Winter Weekend rate from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday 53p/kwh

Happy charging everyone!! And please feel free to come see us in store for a coffee and sweet treat.. it is Christmas after all 🎄

Also an over stay fee per minute

And an idle fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

None that I am aware of

Great little car and very comfy on long journeys but not very efficient at motorway speeds, you would be doing well to get 200km out of it but charging speeds are good

General non motorway range is 300km

I wouldn't have any reason to warn you off it based on my experience once you are comfortable that it is a small car with a smallish battery

It is nippy in sport mode and good craic to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'm noticing that my home 7k charger only gives 3.2k when charging my 62kv Leaf. I've seen similar charger at folks house give same speed for a 40k leaf.

Is the car the issue here? Without being a scientist surely they should be taking better charge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Most likely the cable and/or the charge point are only rated for 16A(3.6kW).

Is it a newly installed charge point? Ask the installer what he set it up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Just worked out that I spent 3800 euro on diesel last year. Drove 19,000 miles, spent average 70 - 75 euro a week. I drive an old diesel that returns 40mpg. Seems an awful lot of money. I've always resisted EV's but am starting to think it might not be a bad idea. I moved house recently so will be doing less mileage but will probably still average 15k a year. Is it practical to use an EV to do this kind of mileage? Or would something like a hybrid be better? I actually like cars and like driving, which is another reason I've been put off EV. Can you be a car enthusiast and drive an electric vehicle?! I enjoy my comforts like heated seats and a good sound system...I gather these things will drain the battery and so shorten the range. Not sure what to do really...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is it practical to use an EV to do this kind of mileage?

I average 25,000km year in my EV and we are both home based. Today I public charged for the first time since February.

I actually like cars and like driving, which is another reason I've been put off EV. Can you be a car enthusiast and drive an electric vehicle?!

Test drive a Model 3 Performance (or even just a Long Range or a RWD) and that question doesn’t matter anymore.

I enjoy my comforts like heated seats and a good sound system...I gather these things will drain the battery and so shorten the range.

the range drop you’ll see from using the sound system will be marginal, and maybe a bit more in winter when using heated seats/steering wheel and a heat pump to heat the cabin, but too little to make any meaningful distance as the cars are extremely efficient.

Honestly, test drive a Tesla and everything else is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I did 26k KMs in my EV in a year since I got it, about the same I did in my diesel. I was using 2 tanks a month so about 140 litres which would cost about 250 a month or 3000 so not far off you. Would have been about 40mpg too, it was an Audi a6.

There's some really nice EVs to drive, apart from engine noise they don't lack anything else.

And heated seats use hardly any battery range, it's the recommended way to heat the driver. And heated steering wheel. I use the cabin heating too as I don't struggle for range.

15k KMs a year is only a full charge once a week in a modern EV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah, but in terms of tech, efficiency, speed, power & charging as a package, no one comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I love driving, yet I don't consider myself a petrol head. Have a Model 3, would find it difficult to go back to petrol or diesel. I do between 15 and 20k kms per year, love the convenience of an EV. Heaters use a bit of energy, though Teslas heat pump is very efficient. Seats, steering wheel heating, entertainment etc is not really noticeable.

Test drive many, I like Teslas, IDs/Born and the new BYD Seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

I can only speak for myself but I know I love the switch to driving electric. I love my heated seats, steering wheel as well. Those really don't do much to the battery's range on my Mustang EV so no worries there. Using the heating in the car does drain the battery in winter for sure but I have a charging station installed in my garage so all good there. For me there is no comparison driving an EV is way more enjoyable then an ICE car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree. I much prefer my Mustang Mach E over the Tesla. When I was looking I had neighbours one of whom owned a Tesla and one owned a Mustang and the Mustang came out on top for me and thats what I went ahead and bought and am delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I ran the numbers like you, where I have been driving various 520d MSports for the last 10 years and a typical year for me is 25,000km. When you calculate fuel and maintenance costs, I have worked out that I'll be about €2,500 better off per year in an Ioniq 6. The numbers would be very similar I'm sure (or better perhaps) for a new Tesla or any other EV with long range.

If you are thinking hybrid, I'd expect that the annual costs would be lower than you are paying at the moment, but you will still have all the maintenance costs of a combustion engine, which you won't have to pay in a BEV.

Any range anxiety I might have had is well and truly gone since I installed a charger at home and got comfortable on DC fast charger locations for very long journeys. Download the Plugshare app and see the locations for yourself.

As regards the car enthusiast comment, I suggest that you test drive an EV to experience the acceleration, the heated seats, a heated steering wheel and the sound system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Forgive me, but are heated seats and heated steering wheels solely on Battery type cars? All of my plug ins had one or both, cannot remember any of my hybrids with them, the only thing I really miss is heated wing mirrors on a SsangYong pickup I had,

Whats your budget? What are your commutes like? 15000km I know, but it could be 50 km a week and then twice a month 600 km, which will require a charge and sometimes that does not go well.

I have a phev and do around 14000km and I get about 200mpg, I charge out and about when it suits, mostly at home.

I just see now other cars have heated seats, the other nice thing is timed preheating, pre cooling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Go drive as many as you can.

Make a short list of what ones you like, and then work out which ones are in budget, new or second hand, whatever you feel.

In here, you’ll get tesla owners recommending a Tesla, Ford owners recommending a Ford, VW owners recommending a VW etc

Theres no wrong or right choice, just personal choice based on what you’ll like after driving a few.

Sorry I should have said I expect to do at least 15,000 miles a year, so about 300 miles a week. I rarely go on long journeys and when we we usually take my wife's CHR hybrid. I'm a nostalgia freak so I'm really intrigued by the new Renault 5, although from what I hear that won't be available to buy for another year. At the moment my budget is about 25,000 - 30,000 but I'm in no rush so I might save for another six or even 12 months so I can afford something over 40k.

• Advertisement

Is that 300 miles a week spread evenly over 7 days or 5x20 mile trips and one 200 mile trip on a Sunday?

I'd say roughly spread over the week. I rarely go on any long journeys myself anymore.

So 60km a day.

An EV will do. Even a 2014 Leaf!

So that’s your base line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Yeah, I still do 80km per day in my 24kw 152 leaf, heated everything on this time of year 😀

Have you ever been in a situation where the EV simply didn't charge for some reason? That's another paranoid fear I have. That I'd leave it charge overnight and there would be some sort of stupid issue with it and then I wouldn't be able to get to work the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If your charging at home, once you get used to it and trust it, that fear will diminish.

While electrical faults can happen which could interrupt your charge, they are normally uncommon.

Now if your house has ropey electrical then factor in a car that will do the journey twice so you have cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

As Redfox posted above - just charge early on in the evening/night until your comfortable that charging isn't a problem.

And you will quickly realise how you wont miss regular trips to the service station for fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've tripped the fuse a couple of times, but you rarely are on zero. There's multiple fast chargers around me (i'd say at least 3 different sites within 20-30km) if that happens.

Note: the tripping the fuse was user error on my behalf and nothing to do with the cars, I have 3 EVs and if I plug them all in on the wrong side of the house they go over the amperage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you travel less than 300km.per day then an EV may save you a lot. Beware buying a 40,000 euro EV and a not really a cost saving exercise.

I did the sums 6 years ago and switched to EV saving myself around 4000 euro a year but you also need to factor in depreciation which may also be 4000 a year or more.

In your case it may make financial sense to move to EV. All modern big battery ones will go at least 300km without needing to stop and charge. You can have heat on and drive at the speed limit.

If you really like engine noise etc I have a weekend classic with 56 euro tax, 200 insurance and literally no depreciation.

Main downsides, on very long trips you need to public charge to get home. Public chargers can be busy, blocked or broken and have 1+ hour queues of people. Charging can be slow taking 1+ hours to fill up. So educate yourself and plan longer trips and allow extra time.

Depreciation is a big cost, some cats may have less deprecation but the general tile is 20% in first year then 10% all following years. If you are high mileage you may run out of warranty soon in terms of mileage caps on warranty. This will also impact resale value. If you could get a good value car deprecation may be lowered.

Advertisement