Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ELM327 wrote: »
    Owner of the waterford site where the ecars charger is is at it again, has barricaded the charger with a bench

In Tescos? No way!! Are they trying to turn people off going there!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

charlieIRL wrote: »

No that's unrelated to the tesco thing. It's a petrol station in Waterford with an esb FCP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No that's unrelated to the tesco thing. It's a petrol station in Waterford with an esb FCP.

Ahh right sorry. Doesn’t sound like a pleasant guy all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, the madman in the mace that attacked a customer before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Very hard to know, on one hand they are “destination” chargers as they are 22kw but they are very handy for adding a few kms if you’re near one and will be there for an hour or two.

I think the overstay charge should kick in after two hours.

In a Smart they are great as it can use the full 22, Jaguar I-Pace can only charge at max 7 on AC, So it'll be there for donkeys to charge up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

redcup342 wrote: »
    In a Smart they are great as it can use the full 22

You sure? I thought the Smart for 2 EV (both older and newer model) could only take 7.2kW AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Tesco rolling out charge points, two per site at 52 stores: https://www.newstalk.com/news/tesco-roll-52-electric-vehicle-charging-points-nationwide-940754

It's in conjunction with ESB, so I presume it's going to be the usual on street chargers.
    More chargers for the hoggers!!! If they are 22 kW you won't get much charge for the few minutes your in shopping.

Yup, 22kW, so one charge point per store with two ports, I think is what they mean....
    "...ESB will supply, install and operate the 22kW charge points..."

The more I think about it the more I think its going to be important to add 3ph charging to my next BEV. If I have to pay an extra few quid I will as long as its not 000s.

You could go somewher like Mahon Pt shopping centre and be there for 1-3hrs. At 11kW you will get a decent charge in that timeframe. Not so much at 6.6kW.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No, the madman in the mace that attacked a customer before
    Gonna need more of that story!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My local tesco is in a pretty good spot, walking distance to town centre and vast majority of other shops. 2 other chargers (4 ports) and an FCP already in the vicinity too.

unkel wrote: »
    You sure? I thought the Smart for 2 EV (both older and newer model) could only take 7.2kW AC?
    3 phase 11kW or 22kW depending on spec

graememk wrote: »
    Gonna need more of that story!
    It was mentioned on here before I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Owner of the waterford site where the ecars charger is is at it again, has barricaded the charger with a bench

Totally barricaded? Ie. No chance of being able to charge there. You could easily get stranded in Waterford with carry on like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Where were you when I needed you McGiver!

Oops, sorry. I must have missed the post, otherwise I'd have advised you that parking is free!

Actually, I had emailed the council and took a few days for them to reply. I didn't call as I said. Not sure if you could call to me get these kind of information when you travel today a different local authority area.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Tesco rolling out charge points, two per site at 52 stores:

Finally. They've been doing it in the England for a while. And also Lidl on the continent. Even in the places which have less developed EV market than Ireland.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Tesco rolling out charge points, two per site at 52 stores:

52 dual connector 22kW chargers.... Is a joke. It's nothing. We need hundreds, thousands. But better than nothing.

What is that is like? 1-2% of their car park slots? That's insufficient.

KCross wrote:
    The more I think about it the more I think its going to be important to add 3ph charging to my next BEV. If I have to pay an extra few quid I will as long as its not 000s.
    Absolutely. It's a joke that the nearly 40k Korean cars only do single phase and VW seriously think it should be a paid extra. Shows How much Zoe, Tesla and i3 are ahead in this aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

McGiver wrote: »
    52 dual connector 22kW chargers.... Is a joke. It's nothing. We need hundreds, thousands. But better than nothing.

What is that is like? 1-2% of their car park slots? That's insufficient.

They could be doing nothing.

JPA wrote:
    They could be doing nothing.
    Well yeah. Always better than nothing. Maybe other than chains will follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Wow, I've been reading most of the threads in the EV forum for the last few months as research for potentially buying an EV in the next couple of years. Have to say I've been totally put off.

I would do an 84km round trip to work daily and would have no access to a charger at work as they are reserved for direct workers of the company.

So my conclusions are that I couldn't get there and back without spending a fortune on a car or otherwise get a second hand EV and worry about headwinds and not being able to put on internal heat because it's -2 outside even though that's when you need a bit of heat in the car! The talk of people driving at 65 in and 80 zone was mind boggling and I guess my 130 normal speed on the motorway is bonkers.

I don't quite do bangernomics but bought a 09 Diesel with 200 tax and spend prob on average 40 a week on fuel. Have it 2.5 years and will probably keep it for another 2.5 years so that's 850 a year in term of purchase price and say on average 500 a year on maintenance it's cheap as you can get for my needs. EVs need to up their game in terms of affordability and practicality in terms of range. Early days in terms of Evs I know but the fact that there's no practical option for someone like me is damning.

Looking at the ID3 forum was so disappointing. Looking like the new hope looks like to have turned out to be an overpriced ****ty looking- inside and out underwhelming offering.

the fact that there's no practical option for someone like me is damning.

Of course there are practical options. Every single EV for sale today can do your 84 km round trip at motorway speeds in the worst of winter with your heater on as high as you like

If your budget is limited to a few grand, I'm afraid you can't buy an EV for that sort of money though...
    KCross wrote: »

You could go somewher like Mahon Pt shopping centre and be there for 1-3hrs. At 11kW you will get a decent charge in that timeframe. Not so much at 6.6kW.

7.2 vs 11kW not much in it imho

But if you got 22kW and it turns out there will be free and available 22kW AC chargers everywhere, then it starts making sense. Do a weekly big Tesco shop (~1 hour) and your 44kWh car is nearly half full. I wouldn't bother plugging in an 11kW for an hour...

Wow, I've been reading most of the threads in the EV forum for the last few months as research for potentially buying an EV in the next couple of years. Have to say I've been totally put off.
    So wait then.
    I would do an 84km round trip to work daily and would have no access to a charger at work as they are reserved for direct workers of the company.
    Even Leaf 24 can do this, unless it's all motorway speed in deep winter, worst case scenario. In which case Leaf 30, Leaf 40, i3 94 Ah, Ioniq 28, Soul 30, eGolf, Zoe 40 can all do it. That's "older cars". All current cars will do it as well, obviously.
    So my conclusions are that I couldn't get there and back without spending a fortune on a car or otherwise get a second hand EV and worry about headwinds and not being able to put on internal heat because it's -2 outside even though that's when you need a bit of heat in the car! The talk of people driving at 65 in and 80 zone was mind boggling and I guess my 130 normal speed on the motorway is bonkers.
    As above.
    I don't quite do bangernomics but bought a 09 Diesel with 200 tax and spend prob on average 40 a week on fuel. Have it 2.5 years and will probably keep it for another 2.5 years so that's 850 a year in term of purchase price and say on average 500 a year on maintenance it's cheap as you can get for my needs.
    Just FYI - based on your numbers fuel/tax/maintenance only will cost you some 2500 pa more than an EV.
    With the added benefit of poisoning yourself and others with diesel particulates. A hidden cost you can't/won't/don't want to see.
    EVs need to up their game in terms of affordability and practicality in terms of range. Early days in terms of Evs I know but the fact that there's no practical option for someone like me is damning.
    So you want larger battery=range for less money. That's contradictory, because you know the more range, the more cells in the battery, the higher the costs. Now, 4 years ago the battery of the EVs was half (or less than half) of that than now but the price was only slightly lower. So you may need to wait. But we won't see another doubling of battery capacity again, the capacity is going to stabilise due to weight issues, but costs may drop over the next years.
    Looking at the ID3 forum was so disappointing. Looking like the new hope looks like to have turned out to be an overpriced ****ty looking- inside and out underwhelming offering.
    ID3 45kW is going to be fine, price wise, with a 300km real life range. It will sell. You may need to wait.

• Advertisement

3 phase 11kW or 22kW depending on spec

Wikipedia states that even the current model (gen 4) only charges at 7.2kW (so single phase), with no info on the previous gen cars. They wrong?

Linky

Quite fancy one, if they weren't so bloody expensive :(

7.2 vs 11kW not much in it imho

But if you got 22kW and it turns out there will be free and available 22kW AC chargers everywhere, then it starts making sense. Do a weekly big Tesco shop (~1 hour) and your 44kWh car is nearly half full. I wouldn't bother plugging in an 11kW for an hour...

Not thinking of the 1hr shop in Tesco. Not worth it there. I’m thinking more the 2-3hr shopping trip.

Tesco in Mahon point in Cork is such a place with shops/cinema etc. Also 3ph work chargers and all the other eCars street chargers.

6.6kw for 3hr is 20kWh. At 11kW we’re at 33kWh. That’s a big difference.

Not thinking of the 1hr shop in Tesco. Not worth it there. I’m thinking more the 2-3hr shopping trip.

Ah. That's herself. She charges up at the likes of Dundrum shopping centre alright :D

(not so much for the charging, more so because the best parking spaces in that place are the disabled and EV spaces)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah. That's herself. She charges up at the likes of Dundrum shopping centre alright :D

(not so much for the charging, more so because the best parking spaces in that place are the disabled and EV spaces)

They need them on every level of that parking garage, and it would help if they didn't locate then beside those giant pillars which really hinder access. Especially if one of the aforementioned SUV PHEV beasts is taking up a space and a quarter (a common occurrence in Dundrum).

Also, anyone know how you are properly supposed to access the charging spots on level 2? The one way flow of the car park seems to make it impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Well the 22kW AC is optional but I don't know anyone that got one without it since it has hideously low range already (90km real world)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I don't quite do bangernomics but bought a 09 Diesel with 200 tax and spend prob on average 40 a week on fuel. Have it 2.5 years and will probably keep it for another 2.5 years so that's 850 a year in term of purchase price and say on average 500 a year on maintenance it's cheap as you can get for my needs. EVs need to up their game in terms of affordability and practicality in terms of range. Early days in terms of Evs I know but the fact that there's no practical option for someone like me is damning.

A 2015 leaf will do that no problem. You'll use ~ 16-19kWh (3-4 euro electricity worst case scenario). Lets be optimistic and say your other trip is 4L, 6euro, that's 500 a year in saving in fuel alone.

Wikipedia states that even the current model (gen 4) only charges at 7.2kW (so single phase), with no info on the previous gen cars. They wrong?

Linky

Quite fancy one, if they weren't so bloody expensive :(
    Yup
    That may be US spec, european cars had an optional (read omnipresent) "option" of 22kW

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/03/20180306-smart.html

Looks like this has been resolved... for now. IEVOA guts got e-cars to get it sorted in time for Christmas. Fair play

Is it a dispute about money or what?

• Advertisement

Is it a dispute about money or what?

Dunno. Anything I hear seems to be all hearsay and rumours.

Some of which mentioned the garage owner was paid off before, but perhaps isn't happy with his cut now ESB are taking earnings from the chargers.

Advertisement