Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He should be plenty happy with the extra (very high margin) revenue he is getting from the people charging there. Greedy fukcer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

unkel wrote: »
    He should be plenty happy with the extra (very high margin) revenue he is getting from the people charging there. Greedy fukcer.

True. And if you stop at any charger, chances are you’ll call into the shop and buy something as well.

That's what I mean. Even if he gets nothing from the electricity, people with an EV will spend a lot more in the shop than people with an ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    Is it a dispute about money or what?

It was always about him trying to stop people from abusing the rapid. He took exception to long stayers and seems to have had abuse when he confronted some of the assholes; even said he had a gun pulled on him. Now, some of these stories don't add up when put against the charger occupancy stats. However, now that overstay fees are a thing he shouldn't have anything to worry about.

He also had a beef about cars driving dangerously through his forecourt when heading to the charger, which is at the back of the garage. I could see this being an issue as the access to the charger is through a busy passage, with a lot of foot traffic.

In fairness the charger is in a terrible location and should never have been put there, but ecars have been having trouble finding suitable sites. Many businesses don't want them on their site.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

He also had a beef about cars driving dangerously through his forecourt when heading to the charger, which is at the back of the garage. I could see this being an issue as the access to the charger is through a busy passage, with a lot of foot traffic.

In fairness the charger is in a terrible location and should never have been put there, but ecars have been having trouble finding suitable sites. Many businesses don't want them on their site.

Speed bumps. They slow me right down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It was always about him trying to stop people from abusing the rapid. He took exception to long stayers and seems to have had abuse when he confronted some of the assholes; even said he had a gun pulled on him. Now, some of these stories don't add up when put against the charger occupancy stats. However, now that overstay fees are a thing he shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Is this guy quite young? Wears a tie a lot of the time?

JPA wrote: »
    Is this guy quite young? Wears a tie a lot of the time?

Well, that depends on your viewing point I suppose, but yes. I would call him young. :D And yes to the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

M6/M4 are pretty lucky it would seem, going east:
    - M6 exit 19 - single ESB charger
    - M6 exit 16 - rumored to be getting two ESB chargers
    - M6 exit 14 - single ESB charger
    - M6 between exists 6/7 - 4 Ionity charges, Circle K charger(free)
    - M6 exit 5 - single ESB charger
    - M6 exit 2 or M4 exits 12 or 10 - two easygo chargers(free)
    - M4 near exit 9 Enfield - two ESB chargers (sort of)
    - M4 exit 4 - single ESB charger

On average charging site every 24 km if counting non-existing and broken one though :-)

There is also Athlone charger, but it requires larger diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That's somewhere I would avoid unless absolutely necessary. I think the problem is yer man rather than the location. He appears to be harmless, but I'd say it would be easy to get on the wrong side of him.

Given that fast chargers would mainly be used for longer trips, the location is not too out of the way off the N25, and it's an easy enough spin down the Outer Ring Road to get to it. The only better location in or near Waterford would probably be the Grannagh Interchange (N25, N24, M9). I think there was talk at one point of a services area opening around there IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well, that depends on your viewing point I suppose, but yes. I would call him young. :D And yes to the tie.

I wonder is the actual owner aware of his carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

JPA wrote: »
    I wonder is the actual owner aware of his carry on.

Is that not the actual owner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Quick bit of help needed...

Someone on Facebook has a bad flat in an Ioniq. Too shredded to use foam and has no spare.

Can he be towed? Front wheels will be up obviously but rear probably not.

He's 20km from home.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Quick bit of help needed...

Someone on Facebook has a bad flat in an Ioniq. Too shredded to use foam and has no spare.

Can he be towed? Front wheels will be up obviously but rear probably not.

He's 20km from home.

I don't see why not. He could actually nick some regen at the same time.

Pop the car in neutral, away ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't see why not. He could actually nick some regen at the same time.

Pop the car in neutral, away ya go.

1 - regenerating by towing is not recommended which is why the manufacturers default line is "don't do it"

2 - if its in neutral it can't regen

3 - if the drive wheels are off the ground, again no regen

DrPhilG wrote: »
    1 - regenerating by towing is not recommended which is why the manufacturers default line is "don't do it"

2 - if its in neutral it can't regen

3 - if the drive wheels are off the ground, again no regen

1. Didn't know that

2. Was my real answer, not my regen answer.

3. Forgot that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They sent a flatbed out to take them home.

Current car has a space saver wheel, wonder if I can get one for the planned e Niro.

graememk wrote: »
    They sent a flatbed out to take them home.

Current car has a space saver wheel, wonder if I can get one for the planned e Niro.

I got an alloy space-saver for the Niro. Just planning a Citroen type wheel carrier. The wheel is probably too heavy for this spot. Up to now I have just carried it in it's bag, in the car.

20191130-103325-1.jpg

I know there is plenty of room under the boot floor for it, but with so much stuff in the boot on a long journey it would be hard to access the wheel on the side of the road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I got an alloy space-saver for the Niro. Just planning a Citroen type wheel carrier. The wheel is probably too heavy for this spot. Up to now I have just carried it in it's bag, in the car.

I know there is plenty of room under the boot floor for it, but with so much stuff in the boot on a long journey it would be hard to access the wheel on the side of the road.

Where did you get it? In the 4 yrs of having the Sportage, needed it only once (well the other half did in the morning after a night shift)

I think I might just use the space in the boot. That and keeping the number of a couple of local tyre places that do call outs. that's getting really popular. Apparently 24/7 too.

graememk wrote: »
    Where did you get it? In the 4 yrs of having the Sportage, needed it only once (well the other half did in the morning after a night shift)

I think I might just use the space in the boot. That and keeping the number of a couple of local tyre places that do call outs. that's getting really popular. Apparently 24/7 too.

I got it from the site below. About 200 quid for the wheel, tyre, jack, brace and bag. Don't forget to tell them it's for the e Niro. They send a heftier jack and the right size wheel to replace the 17" on the EV.

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/

I really only carry it on my UK trips. I figure that I can deal with tyre problems at home fairly easily, but I fear a puncture at one in the morning, stuck on the side of the UK M4, trying to get to the ferry before it sails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

How about Nepal's own EV?

http://www.hulasmotors.com/category_davinci.php

A bit basic and short on detail, I know. But I did like this bit of the blurb "Top speed 65 Km/Hour. Don’t get caught for over speeding in narrow roads."

JohnC. wrote: »
    How about Nepal's own EV?

http://www.hulasmotors.com/category_davinci.php

A bit basic and short on detail, I know. But I did like this bit of the blurb "Top speed 65 Km/Hour. Don’t get caught for over speeding in narrow roads."
    Sounds like they've developed a car for the 2000s rather than the 2020s, unless they subsidise the hell out of it, the locals will buy imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Where do you recon. that wheel would end up in the event of a 80kmph head on collision?

Where do you recon. that wheel would end up in the event of a 80kmph head on collision?
    Depends on the other vehicle, in the boot if it's an express train at full speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Depends on the other vehicle, in the boot if it's an express train at full speed!

One thing for sure It's not going to crumple. My guess is, just about where the occupants heads were in the lower of the two vehicles.

SR - I've no expertise on the matter, but if I were you I'd store it securely in boot and live with the discomfort on the one or two times you need it on the side of the road, just in case you need to use that crumple zone.

Random ev thought - when they do the safety tests on cars with "frunks" do they leave them empty or fill them with hard stuff like wrenches, jacks etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Fire in car park in Norway. The original report blamed an EV, but it turns out to have been a 2005 Opel Zafira.

https://www.thelocal.no/20200108/norway-airport-flights-held-as-hundreds-of-cars-burn-in-fire

I believe the same car caused the fire in Cork, should we be banning these cars from multi-story car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I saw yesterday #teslaq praying to be a Tesla and curb the jump their shares have lately :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My battery is at 70% but with that weather out there and the chance of the power going, I'm topping up at work just in case. Already new of power outtages in the news already.

Stay safe everyone.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Already new of power outtages in the news already.

And this might help some in here. Pretty much all EVs can be used as a power source. It depends on the car to what extend. Check your manual for details.

Several EVs can sustain a draw of about 80A on the 12V aux battery. This would provide a useful load of about 1000W you can draw from the car. This would be more than sufficient to power your fridge / freezer, phone chargers, wifi box, your TV and several lights in your home (in case you get a power cut)

Do leave your car switched on for this (so the HV battery can keep the 12V battery charged) or the 12V battery will be drained very quickly

You will need a 12V inverter for this. Make sure you get a half decent pure sine wave inverter that has can handle a continous load of 1kW if you plan to do above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got an inverter last year, should the power go it will provide plenty enough to run the pump for the stove to heat the house and also power a TV without any undue stress on the Leaf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement