Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talking of charging queues, if Derry is anything to go by, most chargers in NI are available most of the time.

Back in the free charging days, you couldn't get one easily, now that they charge, nearly every charger I pass in Derry is unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I've got an ohme home charger but I don't think I can set it to start charging at certain time so that it only charges during cheap hours.

Closest.i can do is pause until after midnight then resume but that's a pain to remember especially if I want an early night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What car have you got? You can use the car timers.

Yeah, I thought it was always the car that controlled the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Only 2 cars can charge at a time, while up to 8 queue (while at work),100kW max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭joe1303l

That’s a really clever solution, lots of workplaces coming under pressure to add more charge points now. Any idea of the cost of such an installation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭veryangryman

After a Google of it you are correct. The leaf lets you set 2 timers. I've set 1.

Does it only affect AC charging though? Like if I plug into a chademo during day will it not charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This seems useful for places where you'd have a pool of cars that people use. Just grab whichever ones has the highest SoC when you need it

But for cases of employees just charging their personal or company cars, massed AC chargers seems more cost effective. 7kW should supply plenty of energy over a work day

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

With my car, Cupra Born, DC charging isn't affected by timers.

• Advertisement

No idea. You can see NMD installed it and it's a trial. I would think this may be better for town centre hubs where people parked for multiple hours. I do wonder though as suggested AC may be good enough. Might be handy at taxi ranks such as at Dublin airport where automatic queuing is triggered. Or tourist attractions where queues may be bigger at peak times. I do wonder though if it needs some cars to be parked many hours would slow AC to those waiting not be better? As in a hybrid AC and DC system where you get 7kW while waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looks to me like a case of build a better mouse trap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What I noticed is that there is much more information available to the charger over CCS, mainly state of charge.

But as you said, perfect for a fleet of cars, and good use of a 100kW connection.

For cars coming and going regularly it's much better than AC.

All day parking not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This could be a good solution for apartment blocks and other residential areas with shared parking. With 100kW shared, that's 50kW and a charge time of <1 hour to get to 80% depending on battery size and SoC. So over night, all ten cars would likely be fully charged (to 80%) by morning.

Unless I'm reading it wrong of course.

But to charge 10 cars overnight, everyone would need their own charger?

Well that seems to be the setup shown above. Everybody plugs in, but it's first come first served (in twos), so later arrivals are queued to charge after the earlier arrivals have reached 80% SoC.

That's my reading of it anyway. Could be wrong.

But when overnight is mentioned, someone ain't going to get out of bed at 4am to make use of a charger.

Again, this is my understanding of it, so don't take it as gospel. There are 10 stations, you plug in to whichever one is free when you arrive and your charge session is queued to when those before you are finished.

The car should be able to start a charge session when power comes to its station. I know mine will do that, assume others are similar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You don’t have to. My interpretation is that all cars plug in and walk away. Charging starts in order.

There is only one charger here that selects up.to 2 cars at a time to be connected. Each post is basically a long cable going back to the charger. In an apartment 7kW x 10 would achieve similar and be cheaper.A full fill overnight for most cars. AC can also variably share better

• Advertisement

Don't see how that would work for 10 cars overnight. You'd have a max of maybe 12-14 hours which is 84-98kWh available charge, so maybe 10-20% each car depending on battery size. Somebody hooks up with 10% SoC and they could hog the thing for most of the night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

or just install 14x 7kW chargers….

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DrPsychia

I'm trying to create an excel formula for a running cost spreadsheet. Is there general consensus for depreciation these days for 3,4,5 years ownership for new cars, and also for used cars from 5-10 years old.

I know there are a lot of variables that are very difficult to forecast or account when calculating depreciation, but some rough assumptions would be greatly appreciated.

I was driving through Dublin Port earlier and got a look in the new car delivery lot

Spotted a bunch of Maxus pickups, the T90 I think it's called. At least a dozen but maybe more behind them

Demo models maybe, or something a county council might use?

Not sure they fit in the with typical pickup drivers here who all seem to do high enough mileage

If you're trying to predict the future, then I'd say the smartest option would be to take 2021 prices and apply standard depreciation for an ICE car to that

Looking at prices for a 2021 ID.4 around 30-40% depreciation seems typical

I wouldn't bother looking at prices for 2022-23, prices went insanely high for a lot of EVs and then with the price cuts over the past few months I'd say they'll see insane depreciation

For example, and ID.4 Max was €57k when I bought it in 2021, then went to something like €70k, and now you're looking at around €50k for a similar trim (with a better motor and vastly improved software)

100%, I think once you're likely to be staying longer than an hour or two then massed AC chargers makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I saw the security guys in Carrickmines SC are using one

Didn't know when I took the picture realised afterwards

It does. But that assumes nobody wants to splash and dash and this setup will work for both scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

This is probably a good use case for the T90 - commercial lease, ticks the green boxes for corporate owners, lots of stop start all day tipping around the retail park, not needing to do any actual pickup 'work'.

Otherwise the T90 its a very expensive piece of crap. Only thing going for it is there is currently no real alternatives at present on the market.

• Advertisement

I found this article to be a very interesting discussion on the EV market in China

https://www.electrive.com/2024/05/04/electric-cars-five-lessons-from-the-motor-show-in-china/

Quick summary, EU manufacturers are absolutely f**ked and have been completely overtaken on EV components and battery production

One of the main things I've often heard about Chinese consumers is that they're more interested in digital features rather than drive comfort or range

I never really understood it until reading the article, essentially many Chinese urban drivers spend most of their journey stuck in traffic so driving dynamics don't really come into play so much as in car entertainment

You'd think they'd be promoting bikes or public transport over there but apparently there's a strong desire to exercise their newfound wealth from China's economic boom over the past decades

Anyway, on the battery front it looks like CATL are completely dominating the market. The author was very pessimistic about EU manufacturers like Northvolt being able to catch up, particularly since many Chinese companies are setting up in Europe and will waterfall their manufacturing technology to those plants, giving them a tariff free option into the EU market

The main question is which if the brands in china will survive the current price war there

Advertisement