Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps Elon saw his video yesterday😋.

But joking apart, he has been a great ambassador for Tesla and other EVs over the years, doesn't he have a number of expensive cars already earned but not yet received? Roadster? Must be worth a few bob.

I also have enjoyed his videos, though not so much lately. Personally I have little interest in a lot of stuff he now tests, also find some of his stuff like the 1000km challenge a bit tedious except for the end result. I actually enjoyed more his Thailand and road trip content.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He’s also a huge advertisement for a driving holiday to Norway…

Was literally discussing it the other day that I’d love to visit because of the stunning scenery.

and yeah, the Elon thing wouldn’t be out of the realms of possibility. I’d say Bjorn is directly responsible for millions of dollars in sales for Tesla…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

Being a content creator will become increasingly challenging as we could be faced with most of YT and the like being generative AI content in a couple of years, god forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah you love a Dacia, did that trigger you a little?

You are a Dacia zealot I think. Try make a post without the underlying trolling it's not nearly as clever as you think.

As I said he has 325k subscribers of which I am one, plenty of people watching his videos. I'm sure dusterbjorn or whoever it is appreciates your custom😃.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Funnily enough he always complains about the snow and slush in winter, so not showing the best of Norway there

But yeah after watching some of his road trips I'd love to do a road trip through Norway and Sweden

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

At the risk of going further off topic, content creators seem to really be suffering lately

Ozzy Man reviews did a video about this recently. Basically the deal on YouTube is that creators get paid a portion of the ad revenue shown during their videos

But the TikTok came along and got rid of that model, instead they'll just fund selected creators directly, often the ones that push the most addictive content and keep the doom scrolling going

Now the other platforms have seen that and decided to cut down the ad revenue they're giving to creators. Ozzy Man mentioned his revenue was down 90% on Facebook alone

Like I said earlier, there's been a large push from creators to move to different funding sources, Patreon being one.

I think there's going to be some continued push for that. It would be particularly interesting if creators started pausing the ads on their videos if they felt financially secure enough. However YT doesn't push videos with ads disabled in recommendations, so unlikely that'll happen

I think he's a victim of the success of EVs, ranges have gotten longer and charging has improved to the point where 1000km drives aren't really a challenge

I suspect a lot of his viewers are people tuning in for specific cars or brands. I'll often watch the VW content for example but I've no interest in any of the Chinese brands content (I just don't like their cars)

He's been diversifying his content recently with the more family blog type stuff, possibly in response

I noticed the BYD Seal 1000km challenge got posted, so he hasn't given up yet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He had a captive audience a few years back, especially when he was TeslaBjorn and got those free cars, he still has at least one free roadster coming his way.

Now the YT market is flooded with EV uploads, he build too expensive a house, goes on long trips abroad, owns cars in multiple countries and put in an extravagant pool in a Norwegian back garden.

He clearly messed up and is doing nothing short of begging

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

Seems as though also he had all his eggs in one basket. He should of tried to diversify at the peak of his fame.

If all your income is dependent upon YT content, you are at the mercy, as he and many others have discovered, of YouTube deciding unilaterally modify T&Cs anytime that may have an adversely impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

He put a follow up video that explained he had an investor who was actually in the background, but I think he was hesitant to go with that first. The investor has helped Rich Rebuilds and Now You Know channels not just financially but to expand. He's good at what he does, but definitely needs someone with more business experience to help.

The house stuff is just stupid. He's severely overstretched himself and only has himself to blame. I say this as a fan of the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,463 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a follow up to the LiveLive piece, this to me is just more anti EV sentiment in the media.

Of course you are going to have the odd dodgy cell in an EV, but overall they are generally very reliable. Now we will have hundreds of thousands of listeners who think buying an ev is going to potentially cost you thousands.

How often do they have ICE car owners on telling their stories of failed engines? I know 2 people personally who have incredibly expensive engine failures in top brand cars which weren't covered by any warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭maidhc

The internal combustion engine is a fantastically reliable piece of engineering really. Generally the engine out lives the machine. Anecdotally over 20 years and probably 30+ cars/tractors I have never had a major engine failure. The biggest issue is actually replacing 12v batteries in the older machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

had to replace an engine in a ten year old Audi q5 with not outlandish mileage. Cost almost 4000. Still have the car now and it’s going fine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

had to replace a turbo in a 7 year old 3 Series ~ €4400

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Good to see Bjorn might be out the woods in the short term - cue video in 3 years where he is trying to escape the tyranny of his new investor.

I say good but it's totally his fault and if he lost it all I wouldn't have much sympathy. We cut a lot of things out of our renovation due to costs, an outdoor pool was never on the cards for us.

Note to self. Overpay mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Obviously you've never owned a 2.2 Mazda or a 1.6 Octavia or an insignia or or or..... I could go for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If you accept that an engine will last forever, clue, it won't, then you need to look at the clutch, turbo and servicing costs too before you say ice is as robust an an ev

• Registered Users Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Had my 2011 insignia for 7 years and it hasn’t missed a beat yet.
    Have to get the timing belt and water pump and brake pads done due to age but it’s grand otherwise.

To be fair, he admitted he made mistakes with the house. There were delays which drove the price up and he didn't have enough margin

People make mistakes, it happens

I think he's making another mistake by taking on this investor. If Rich Rebuilds is the bar then that channel has gone to shite since he turned it into a glorified sitcom

Bjorn seemed very taken back by the donations he received, he said he didn't really want that and would have preferred to pay back a loan than beg for free money

I disagree personally, people donated money because they're basically paying him for his content. If he stopped making videos then he wouldn't get donations, it's hardly free money

If he wanted to expand the channel I'd much rather see him move to a fan funding model and hire in a production assistant rather than give away creative control

Anyway, glad to see things are working out for him and we'll be seeing more 1000km challenges for a while yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Watching Bjørn Nyland's long winter range test videos of Ioniq 28kWh back in 2016 in extremely cold Norwegian winter weather, convinced me that the car would be suitable as our family car. I watched both the videos twice, then booked a 24h test drive in one. First thing in the morning, the day after the test drive, I contacted all 30 Irish Hyundai dealers, spent all day communicating and negotiating and by the end of that day had agreed a deal with one of them, ordered it and paid the deposit.

Bjørn will always have a special place on my respect list even though I haven't really watched much of his content over the last 2-3 years

He seems financially naive, his >€1 million mortgage is fine but not sure why he got himself forced into this additional high pressure high interest loan with his house builder, but that seems to be his only mistake. And he wouldn't have been in any financial trouble at all if Tesla had delivered the two (!) free Tesla Roadsters that they have owed him for years because of the worldwide referral program that he topped for many years in a row.

Anyway the guy has huge leverage / sympathy in EV circles and I am sure all will be well for him and his family. Best of luck to him, he has done the world some favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

Direct link to show recording. Nissan are saying car has 8 year warranty for battery degradation but fault is cell 73 failure and not normal degredation. Not covered under warranty, pay 3-4k for one cell investigation and presumably replacement.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22411678/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭allinthehead

That's a disgrace from Nissan. Getting out of it on a technicality, that battery now has less than 70% of it's original capacity. Glad I didn't buy a Leaf now.

☀️

But surely that's a manufacturing fault and would be covered anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Terrible attitude to customer service but hardly surprising considering they’re still peddling cars with no CCS charging ability. I hope the owner has the financial ability to take them on with a good solicitor. If they get away with this once, it won’t bode well for others. SIMI will be hiding in a ditch somewhere no doubt. IEVOA should be out in front here lobbying Nissan for fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nissan should try that with me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Shooting themselves in both feet penny pinching like. It will hurt their sales far in excess what it cost to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't think battery swap is the future even for trucks but this might be a handy stop gap for some all go all day type users.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

EV charging hub in Germany including bus charging and Nio battery swap station.

Advertisement