Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is the Citroen taxed private? I thought all commercials in that weight category were €333.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ir3

So yeah funny story really… I have taxed dozens of vans over the years and the usual story is when you go to tax your van first time you need to get a goods declaration form signed by a Garda and then you get your €333 tax instead of it being rated from engine size so I was doing that and the form explicitly states you are using the vehicle only for business use and I thought hang on this could be good so I rang the Tax office and I said actually I am using it for both, I use it in the course of my business but also do the school run sometimes, and times when the wife is out in the car so i use the van on weekends etc so the vehicle is Dual use so they said thats fine but we will have to tax you at the private rate, so I say ok, theyre then saying but it will cost you! and I say yeah thats fine and then they check and low and behold they say "oh actually your vehicle is electric so the rate is cheaper, i guess you want to go ahead with that" 😁 .. I say I do and hey presto €120 tax and a trip to the garda station saved… they did point out that as its a private rate I cant park in a loading bay but that has no relevance to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

That's very funny. I wonder though, how many traffic wardens or Gardai look at a van parked in a loading bay and think "I should check that van's tax disc to make sure it's commercial". I doubt that happens often.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

as far as I’m aware it still has to be cvrtd as normal.

• Advertisement

☺️☺️☺️ Nice one😊 doesn't happen too often.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭wassie

Service cost was also a big positive,

Also, beside the cost, there is less down time when the van is unavailable due to servicing. This can be massive cost for a company with a big fleet.

Can I ask what has tyre wear been like, given my experience in an EV car is that tyres wear about 20-25% faster due to regen braking. This is more than compensated by the fact after nearly 135,000km I still am original brake pads.

I cvrtd it before taxing but regardless of private or commercial tax it is still a commercial vehicle so will always be cvrtd as opposed to nct. At least that’s my take on it.

Van has 17k on it and I have done 5k of that, tyres still look brand new, no noticeable wear. Regen has to be switched on each time you drive so I only switch on in city driving really, forget about it a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most do and all should. Especially when it’s a jeep as the crew cabs can use loading bays even though they have 5 seats.

Regular occurrence here in Co. Wexford especially in Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Is regenerative braking the same as one pedal driving? I thought EV tyres wore faster because of putting too much weight on the accelerator when moving from a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I didn't regen had much effect on tyres, I always thought it was down to the "low energy" tyres for EVs having less tread overall, so they wear out faster

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

More FUD. My last best of there’s lasted 40,034km. AWD 500bhp. Michelins.

This also. Seemly EV tyres (some of them) come with 6mm thread instead of 8mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

That's not confined to EVs. Lots of tyres coming out in 6 and 7mm treads.

Oh please spare me your FUD labels simply because you dont agree with a something. You know full well this topic is constantly debated over the interwebs.

My experience, based on 140K km and just changing over onto my 5th set of same tyres as you, is that my tyres wear significantly faster on this EV than other RWD vehicles I have owned across the years.

I drive with one pedal nearly all the time and the Tesla is well known for its aggressive regen braking, meaning brakes are applied more frequently (i.e. whenever I lift my foot off the pedal). This also means more frequent acceleration after braking.

Combined with more torque from an EV, I think its fair to assume on my RWD vehicle using regen, the rears experience a more wear than using the friction brakes using all 4 wheels, whilst the fronts will wear very little.To compensate I rotate every 10,000km, but still needing to swap all 4 every 35,000km.

• Advertisement

Ohh spare me the dramatics too, Of course it’s mentioned across the internet as common FUD. Like for like, EV’s don’t use any more there’s than a similar ICE.

Put your 300bhp RWD Tesla against a BMW M3 and it will be very similarly matched for tyre use.

So yes, the common misperception that EV’s go through more tyres than ICE is FUD.

My brothers 2022 MY LY is approaching 41000km with the factory tyres still on it.

When you lift off the accelerator, the brakes are not applied. The regeneration is the electric motor slowing you down, there is no relationship with the brakes.

35000 km from tyres on a RWD car with near 300bhp is good. I really don’t know what you expect to achieve over and beyond that so my theory of FUD stands.

I think I've given a fairly reasonable rationale as to why I think my tyres wear faster than I would expect.

Whats yours to back up your "common misconception".

My rationale is driving EV’s since 2012. Proof is in the pudding, I suppose.

Some people are harder on tyres than others it would seem, But EV’s in general do not under perform like for like against ICE.

Ah so its your experience vs mine, but my view is FUD because it doesnt align with yours.

I never said your view was FUD. Infact, I never responded to you at all. I responded to the user mach two, but you jumped in being offended. No idea why tbh you got so offended there, So I think you might need to re-read the post order 👍

I said the common misconception spread by EVHaters that there’s don’t last as long as ICE is FUD. And I stand by that based on my experience and the experience of people around me using EV’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Is it not well known that tires on EV’s tend to wear more quickly than those on ICE cars? This isn’t a EV hater thing. The increased wear is primarily due to the heavier weight of EVs and their higher torque. The weight puts more pressure on the tires, and the immediate torque can cause additional stress. To mitigate this, newer EV-specific tires are designed with stiffer compounds and reinforced structures to handle the extra load and reduce wear.

Engineering Explained did a good video on this (even if it’s an ad for Hankooks new EV tyre)

All good Gumbo and defo not offended.

But whilst we are talking about regen braking out of curiosity, do you happen to know if Tesla uses any from of blended braking?

They use blended braking only if you are at 100% battery where as you wouldn’t normally have regen, so they do this so as to not change the behavior of the car to the user and it feels the same.

I believe this can be turned on or off.

From the net.
    To experience the same amount of deceleration whenever you release the accelerator pedal, regardless of the state of the Battery, you can choose to have the regular braking system automatically engage whenever regenerative braking is limited. Touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited.

Funny enough I replaced the OEM Michelins that went into the car in March 2020 (manufactured in September 2019) with the Hankook ION EV tyres.

The originals down 40k and still had loads of life on them. Only reason I changed was because of tracking and the inside edges were worn, which is a common problem on the M3P due to the camber, and possibly weight etc

So it will be interesting to see how the Hankook perform being a “newer EV Tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Not by any means a tyre expert but coming up to 35k Kms on my cupra born it's going to need it's 3rd set of tyres in the next 5k Kms

I definitely got better than that on my ICE cars which were Audi A6 and 5 series in recent history. They would be almost as heavy as the Born, Audi was fwd, BMW was rwd.

But anyway, a few variables at play, obviously the brand of tyre itself and one thing I started thinking the other day.....the tyres on the born are only 215mm wide compared to 245s and 255s on the Ice cars I had, would a narrower tyre on a heavy car wear quicker than a wider tyre?

The etron I have wears 255s I think, I'll check later, and they are wearing better than the born for some reason. At 15k Kms on the clock, they are not worn down much at all where the born were nearly ready for replacement. Both brands are the same, Bridgestone potenza

Advertisement