Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

unkel wrote: »

Wouldn't worry about mileage. Electric drivetrain and battery can stand a lot more miles than ICE cars. First Tesla Model S just went through 1 million km, iirc about 500k km on its current battery and 700k km on its current motor.

Thanks, had seen them, will keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,322 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

will keep looking.

Won't we all :p

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just submitting my energy meter readings and interesting to note that since I got my night rate meter installed, 57% of my electricity usage is at night.
    1250kWh used at night. 915kWh going to the car
    950kWh used during the day.

Nearly time to go energy provider hunting. Just seen on my latest bill that (including mid year price increases) i'm paying 21 cent for day rate, and 10.4 cent for night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

10.4 for night rate is excessive
    Mine is just below 7 (Bord Gais )

ELM327 wrote: »

Including vat? Below 7 seems crazy cheap. Bonkers will set me free anyways ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm with BG too and I think my night rate is 9.27c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Mine with vat is 8.46 cent for night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just submitting my energy meter readings and interesting to note that since I got my night rate meter installed, 57% of my electricity usage is at night.
    1250kWh used at night. 915kWh going to the car
    950kWh used during the day.

Nearly time to go energy provider hunting. Just seen on my latest bill that (including mid year price increases) i'm paying 21 cent for day rate, and 10.4 cent for night rate.

Coincidentally I checked mine yesterday too. 1075 Day, 1059 night so basically 50/50. I did think it would be interesting to see what others had.

Including vat? Below 7 seems crazy cheap. Bonkers will set me free anyways ;)
    No it's ex vat

I get the standard rate with either 24 or 28 % discount through bonkers

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

10.5 night rate here too, keep meaning to get around to changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

my last bill shows 422kWh night / 440kWh day, for november & december, so 50/50

However January's readings are 361kWh Night / 236kWh day, so going to 60 / 40
    We are trying to use the dryer & dishwasher after 11pm and it shows (and for some reason we are using more electricity overall, which is weird.

We're on €0.1548 day ex vat & €0.0751 night ex vat with panda power (and I get to feel good because it's all renewable)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Been notified that we're in line for a smart meter. Hopefully it is in the next few months. Held off going for a day/night meter because of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Water John wrote: »
    Been notified that we're in line for a smart meter. Hopefully it is in the next few months. Held off going for a day/night meter because of it.

Someone posted a while back/maybe in a different thread that if they went with a smart meter they would be back on a 24 hr rate

I think they are doing all the 24 hr customers before even attempting to do the day/night customers

Free to switch to a day/night rate. If it makes sense for ya (should do for any EV driver) just switch. Waiting around for a smart meter could be a long wait, and given what was said above, it could be no good for EV drivers in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

graememk wrote: »
    Someone posted a while back/maybe in a different thread that if they went with a smart meter they would be back on a 24 hr rate

I think they are doing all the 24 hr customers before even attempting to do the day/night customers

That was me. I volunteered to be an early adoptor for Energia and they were happy to proceed but said it would be on a 24hr tariff only, for the initial phase. That was only a few months ago they told me that.

That could be a specific Energia thing, I dont know.

But if you are on day/night and getting a smart meter ask the question first before allowing them proceed as that would be a costly mistake for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

No it's ex vat

I get the standard rate with either 24 or 28 % discount through bonkers

Yep bonkers is yer man - once a year and if you don't feel like changing, look up bonkers identify the best rate and tell your provider - you might not get the same discount as a new user but you can negotiate a very good one to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I'm waiting for an id3 in "summer 2020". My current car is an '04 Polo and it has just failed the nct on emissions. So much for saving the environment by driving an old car into the ground. My mechanic thinks that there is no guarantee that it can be brought up to standard, so I need a temporary car to bridge the gap to the id3. I'm not confident that I could spot a lemon on the second hand market, do not live near a go car location. Any ideas welcome.

Yep bonkers is yer man - once a year and if you don't feel like changing, look up bonkers identify the best rate and tell your provider - you might not get the same discount as a new user but you can negotiate a very good one to stay.
    +1
    Am on year 2 with Bord Gais, they offered me the same rate again.

I'm waiting for an id3 in "summer 2020". My current car is an '04 Polo and it has just failed the nct on emissions. So much for saving the environment by driving an old car into the ground. My mechanic thinks that there is no guarantee that it can be brought up to standard, so I need a temporary car to bridge the gap to the id3. I'm not confident that I could spot a lemon on the second hand market, do not live near a go car location. Any ideas welcome.

Are you thinking EV or just any car to tie you over? Cheap EV (leaf pretty much) will all depend on how much range you can survive with until "summer". If it's any car, then the general motors forum might have broader opinions.

Are you thinking EV or just any car to tie you over? Cheap EV (leaf pretty much) will all depend on how much range you can survive with until "summer". If it's any car, then the general motors forum might have broader opinions.

Cheap leaf if you can get it is not a bad choice, you may be able to resell for pretty much what you paid for it if you only keep 6 months. Additionally you can get your charger etc with seai grant in the meantime ready.

• Advertisement

Cheap leaf will give the worst possible perspective of EVs.

It will make your ID3 seem other worldly!

Cheap leaf will give the worst possible perspective of EVs.

It will make your ID3 seem other worldly!

In this senario its not about perspective of an EV its about getting to mid 2020 and hopefully recouping your cost while possibly learning about ev's and charging etc. And i know a cheap 1k ice car with nct maybe the cheapest way (or not if it breaks down).

Also a leaf is still a good car - lot better than ice cars to drive.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just looking for options, and have an open mind. I'm not really a car person, my motivation for switching to electric car is if I'm honest that I just hate the smell of car fumes. Ironic, given that I'm now driving a thing that is failing the nct due to emissions.

My first thought was to rent, but I guess rental cars are normally new so your paying for high depreciation on top of profit. So I guess this option would be very expensive.

I rang the vw dealer I've selected and they've offered to keep an eye out on a trade-in ncted to beyond the summer that they would buy back from me when the id3 was delivered, which sounds tempting. I guess I'll need to hear the detail of their offer.

A cheap ev is definitely a consideration. I could live with short range until the summer and might decide to keep it as a second car, I'll look into this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just looking for options, and have an open mind. I'm not really a car person, my motivation for switching to electric car is if I'm honest that I just hate the smell of car fumes. Ironic, given that I'm now driving a thing that is failing the nct due to emissions.

My first thought was to rent, but I guess rental cars are normally new so your paying for high depreciation on top of profit. So I guess this option would be very expensive.

I rang the vw dealer I've selected and they've offered to keep an eye out on a trade-in ncted to beyond the summer that they would buy back from me when the id3 was delivered, which sounds tempting. I guess I'll need to hear the detail of their offer.

A cheap ev is definitely a consideration. I could live with short range until the summer and might decide to keep it as a second car, I'll look into this too.

Might be vest to start a new thread. What is your typical longest trip say once a month. You don't want to be public charging more than one trip a month if possible. Then take into account round trip and extra for winter and diversions. For example 40kWh battery leaf might get you 140km round trip reliably, and more or less depending on factors. So 70km from home. What is your budget?

Main saving on EVs is low depreciation (which is also true for 10+ year old cars) but also low running costs if doing high mileage and tolls daily. If you are very low mileage a petrol may do. Cheapest EVs are 7,000 euro plus, even then probably 10,000 for anything with more than 100km range realistically. Could you live with a tiny Zoe?

My longest journey is a round trip of 126km, I could use a granny cable at the destination for a couple of hours, so I guess most evs should be sufficient for that in any weather.

Current car is a polo so a Zoe would be fine I guess.

I'm going to give a look out for a leaf and a zoe and decide between these and what the dealer comes up with. Probably the Zoe might be the best as if we decide to become two car family the leaf might take up too much room in front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Some rental companies will let you do a long term rental. It needs to be renewed every 30 days, but it's not mad expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

My longest journey is a round trip of 126km, I could use a granny cable at the destination for a couple of hours, so I guess most evs should be sufficient for that in any weather.

Current car is a polo so a Zoe would be fine I guess.

I'm going to give a look out for a leaf and a zoe and decide between these and what the dealer comes up with. Probably the Zoe might be the best as if we decide to become two car family the leaf might take up too much room in front of the house.

You won't get much electricity from a granny cable, even after charging for a few hours, typically just a few kWh, so basically just enough to hopefully get to the nearest fast charge point (or a standard charge point will do if it's a Zoe).

This video will give you a rough idea of what to expect when it comes to charging speeds.

Yes, I think the nearest charger is back home. I don't think there are any chargers in Macroom or Ballyvourney

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

I was in a somewhat similar situation to you, my car let me down (oil pump went while driving and engine is toast. I was also waiting for the ID3 release to pre bookers.
    I was trying to wait it out until Summer, thinking May/Jun/July.

But Volkswagen are giving no indication on what Summer 2020 actually means. Hints of August/September delivery after a committed order in April at the chosen dealer. All speculation on my behalf reading into what others have been told.

In the end I decided the ID3 was expensive in the 1st edition versions and really I'd prefer to configure my own spec such as heat pump, panoramic roof. I'd even consider getting the 70kW battery version to make it even more practical. That would possibly push delivery even further out into late 2020 and at that stage 2021 seems more logical.

An option open to you via your Volkswagen dealer is a special 2 year 0% PCP deal for people who want to go electric now in an e-golf executive edition for a fixed fee of €469 a month and upgrade to a ID3 2 years from now. Link here https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models-and-configurator/e-golf.html#offers

Since mine is a Company car, I decided to buy a e-golf outright now and use it for a year or two, I can release it back into the company car pool at any stage and get myself an ID3 configured as I want when they become generally available and totally customisable .... not to mention, I'll not be Volkswagen's guinea pig for the 1st production run.

Got to say though, I'm less and less impressed with the interior of the ID3 I've seen on line, it seems cheap and made with a lot of hard plastic panels. I was particularly impressed with what value, fit, finish and functionality is available in the e-Golf , between €28.7k for the base and €32.4k for the executive editions.
    I wonder if after driving it for a while I'd even want to trade up in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I was particularly impressed with what value, fit, finish and functionality is available in the e-Golf , between €28.7k for the base and €32.4k for the executive editions.
    I wonder if after driving it for a while I'd even want to trade up in the future

If you need to cover upwards of 200km regularly, i.e. you need the range, you'd very quickly jump ship ;).
    But agreed, the eGolf is one of the nicer EVs available, if the relatively short range available is suitable.

Advertisement