Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Well the sales man would have zero impact on me as if i was buying tomorrow id get a Soul over the Kona still. But as said above some people can be put off a brand by the salesperson.

I could easily see her being persuaded out of an EV only for she's been talking with me and experienced with my Leaf 24. Up untill then she was going to get a Jeep renegade :rolleyes:

It's the individual. If I wanted a certain car brand and came across a poor dealer I would go to a different dealership for the same manufacturer. Still get the car you want, but keep a sale from that other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

Consumer choice, if you're not getting the service you deserve or can reasonably expect, go elsewhere!.
    Life is too short to have to deal with people who obviously choose the wrong occupation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Does anybody know if you have to pay for parking while your electric car is charging — at the dyke road car park in Galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Does anybody know if you have to pay for parking while your electric car is charging — at the dyke road car park in Galway city?

Don't know the specific spot, but the rule of thumb is always that a charging space does not exempt you from parking fees, even if you're also paying for the charging.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

MJohnston wrote: »
    Don't know the specific spot, but the rule of thumb is always that a charging space does not exempt you from parking fees, even if you're also paying for the charging.

The ev parking on dyke road literally has a sign over it saying "have you paid and displayed". I paid when I was there. 5 euro for the day. That said, another poster here was adamant EVs did not have to pay in Galway. It would of been around early December if you want to search back.

• Advertisement

The ev parking on dyke road literally has a sign over it saying "have you paid and displayed". I paid when I was there. 5 euro for the day. That said, another poster here was adamant EVs did not have to pay in Galway. It would of been around early December if you want to search back.

So probably same scenario a few hundred meters up the road at woodquay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Nope. I'd emailed the council last year. You have to be connected and charging.

That sign is just a classic Galway council stupidity. There millions of examples like this. Very incompetent council. It's a joke.

Charging EVs don't pay parking in Galway city. Confirmed by the council to me via email. I never paid for parking. Never got any fine either so I presume its like that!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

McGiver wrote: »
    That sign is just a classic Galway council stupidity. There millions of examples like this. Very incompetent council. It's a joke.

Charging EVs don't pay parking in Galway city. Confirmed by the council to me via email. I never paid for parking. Never got any fine either so I presume its like that!

Dyke road is council run yeah? Not private or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

BJ9CiFj.png

I've tried , big, small, electric. I mean seriously even if I wouldn't have electric what units? barn-megaparsec? triple mickey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

innrain wrote: »
    BJ9CiFj.png

I've tried , big, small, electric. I mean seriously even if I wouldn't have electric what units? barn-megaparsec? triple mickey?

My 1st attempt would be 0

Ok, noted

I may have to send a mail to the council on this to verify this and cover my own arse.

I may have to send a mail to the council on this to verify this and cover my own arse.
    PM me your email I can forward it to you.

redcup342 wrote:
    That's a good point I think, being able to use existing industrial 3 phase would be a good selling point for companies with fleets.

3-phase sockets are totally common in central Europe. Where I'm from you'd have 32A 3-phase sockets in essentially every building. So basically all places like car parks etc have the capability.

The benefit of the CEE 3-phase 32A is that it can do up to 22 kW (32*400*1.7) which is a boon for Teslas and Zoes but also for any 11 kW capable cars. And that without any charger or serious infrastructure. CEE 3-phase 16A can do 11 kW which isn't bad either.

Things like this are much cheaper than equivalent type 2 charger - see 2x 32A 3-phase sockets (2x 22kW) and 3x 13A Schuko 1-phase (3x 3 kW).

http://www.hybrid.cz/i/auto/elektromobil/004_zasuvkovy_rozvadec_3_druhy_zasuvek.jpg

Sadly 3-phase is not common here and I hear ESB charge few grand to get it connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

3-phase sockets are totally common in central Europe. Where I'm from you'd have 32A 3-phase sockets in essentially every building. So basically all places like car parks etc have the capability.

The benefit of the CEE 3-phase 32A is that it can do up to 22 kW (32*400*1.7) which is a boon for Teslas and Zoes but also for any 11 kW capable cars. And that without any charger or serious infrastructure. CEE 3-phase 16A can do 11 kW which isn't bad either.

Things like this are much cheaper than equivalent type 2 charger - see 2x 32A 3-phase sockets (2x 22kW) and 3x 13A Schuko 1-phase (3x 3 kW).

http://www.hybrid.cz/i/auto/elektromobil/004_zasuvkovy_rozvadec_3_druhy_zasuvek.jpg

Sadly 3-phase is not common here and I hear ESB charge few grand to get it connected.

They looked for €3.5k from me due to location and connection difficulties

peposhi wrote: »

That's very steep and not worth it. For larger buildings it may make financial sense though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

peposhi wrote: »

If your in a rural ish area, you might have to go a long way to get 3 phase, I roughly know where the power lines go and it would be 3-4 miles of single phase MV before it comes near a 3phase supply in my area.

graememk wrote:
    If your in a rural ish area, you might have to go a long way to get 3 phase, I roughly know where the power lines go and it would be 3-4 miles of single phase MV before it comes near a 3phase supply in my area.

British legacy I think...

On the continent, that's not the case. 3-phase is common in France, Germany and Central Europe (32A), also in Scandinavia (where its mostly 16A but still good). Not sure about southern Europe. Italy has a weird electrical standards but I wouldn't be surprised if they also had industrial 3-phase at most larger buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

On the continent, that's not the case. 3-phase is common in France, Germany and Central Europe (32A), also in Scandinavia (where its mostly 16A but still good). Not sure about southern Europe. Italy has a weird electrical standards but I wouldn't be surprised if they also had industrial 3-phase at most larger buildings.

I lived in Southern Spain, in a normal house, in a reasonably rural area. We had 3 phase, as did all the neighbouring houses.

I don't think we had power until the late 40's or early 50s. Well into the free state by then, but still could be a hangover from the British legacy.

I always thought my grandfather seen a huge amount of change, from working with horses to the basic tractors to the modern ones with switches, heat and aircon.

• Advertisement

I lived in Southern Spain, in a normal house, in a reasonably rural area. We had 3 phase, as did all the neighbouring houses.

Seems to be a continental thing. It's the Brits! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

graememk wrote: »
    Unless you're near a farm or anyone with any significant smallholdings

ELM327 wrote: »
    Unless you're near a farm or anyone with any significant smallholdings

Not even that, maybe if your near a town.

Farms don't use much power, most of it is just lighting, we've moved most of ours to LED too.

Even the dairy farms locally don't have three phase. But maybe thats just my local area.

We've looked into micro generation on an outfarm, as we have an outfarm with loads of south facing roofs, and decent wind. But with no feasibility of selling back to the grid, we don't use enough power there, (so low that we'd prob run into the low useage charge if we were on electric Ireland.

If you were in a housing estate it prob would be easier!

My family have a farm in the west and we live in an area of meath where smallholding is common.
    Anyone with any sort of machinery, cattle milking, anything like that, would generally have 3 phase.
    I rented a house outside of Navan for a number of years that had a garage with three phase. Randomly, because it was free to connect because the neighbor had it for a smallholding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm not aware of any of the dairy farms around me having 3 phase. I do know one relatives dairy farm only got it in when he got a huge industrial style bandsaw you can cut whole tree trunks on. Never had it for the actual farm.

Are there any network maps showing such detail, or maybe that's considered "commercially sensitive"?

I know if you apply for 3phn connection they show you the local map.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The benefit of the CEE 3-phase 32A is that it can do up to 22 kW (32*400*1.7) which is a boon for Teslas...

On that point, I believe that a Model 3's onboard charger can only take 11kW.

Lumen wrote: »
    On that point, I believe that a Model 3's onboard charger can only take 11kW.
    Correct.
    Model 3 can only take 16a 3phn

Model S and X can be 16a/24a/32a 3phn

If you can see the poles, if it has 3 wires on it. That's generally 3 phase.

Having 3 phase is very beneficial if running lots of motors, nearly all lathes, Mills and stuff like that all generally run on 3 phase. (I'd love a lathe but can't justify the cost of one!)

Very little machinery is electric based on farms (maybe for the exception of robotic milking, the rest of if can be run from a average generator)

I'd say most farm yards in Ireland it comes through the house first.

There is grants now available under TAMS for solar + battery setups for farms, so we may be seeing more solar go on sheds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,322 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All Teslas can AC charge with 3 phase. All Model 3 can charge at 11kW. For Model S and X it depends on the model (year) and the optional extras at what speed they can charge but it's between 11kW and 22kW

Advertisement