Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Completely useless if they are slow chargers, even if they are 23kW and your car can take 23kW. A visit to Aldi takes maybe 20-30 minutes tops, even with COVID-19 queuing not much more than 45 minutes

With the on board 7kW charger that most EVs have, you will be able to take in 5kWh. That's a €0.40 saving. Not worth the trouble. Even at triple that saving for a 23kW car.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. Will those in charge of installing these chargers please wake up and listen? Slow chargers are useful, but only if someone is going to be parked somewhere for several hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

KCross wrote: »
    Presumably slow chargers which wont be much use but anyway....

Will presumably cover the electricity used travelling to/from the shop, and an incentive for folks to stay in store even longer - thus spending more money..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just put 50kW and be done with it.
    In the medium term future, 50kW will be the mild fast slow chargers like 22kW are now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Just put 50kW and be done with it.
    In the medium term future, 50kW will be the mild fast slow chargers like 22kW are now.

Really not sure about that, I think battery size will increase moreso than charging speed as consumers become more knowledgeable about battery health/conservation/degradation/management

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Not according to the ESB. Their ambitious goal is to for their fastest charger to be installed these days to be about 43kW. Chargers were faster back in Jesus' time :rolleyes:

Their slow chargers were 23kW 10 years ago, but the latest ones are what, just 2kW? :eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Not according to the ESB. Their ambitious goal is to for their fastest charger to be installed these days to be about 43kW. Chargers were faster back in Jesus' time :rolleyes:

Their slow chargers were 23kW 10 years ago, but the latest ones are what, just 2kW? :eek: :rolleyes:

That is exaggerating a little bit, the plan called for upgrading over 50 2x22kW AC chargers to DC (these are the 110A (44kW) chargers). The charging hubs with up to 150kW charging are still in the plans. At this point I wish they would just hurry up and deploy one to calm the naysayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »
    ... I wish they would just hurry up and deploy one to calm the naysayers!

If they delivered 350kW in every town and village in the country unkel would still complain about them! :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they delivered 350kW in every town and village in the country unkel would still complain about them! :P

Only one 350kW charger on each street, that's a single point of failure issue!

slave1 wrote: »
    Really not sure about that, I think battery size will increase moreso than charging speed as consumers become more knowledgeable about battery health/conservation/degradation/management

Well considering 150-350kW is the new standard, 50kW is slow.
    Imagine charging a 100kWh battery at 50kW, would take over 2 hours.

My S90D has around 75-77kWh usable to 100% and takes nearly 2 hours to 90% at 50kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

More the merrier I think, some one going to buy that leaf https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/leaf/24904354 would appreciate a charger everywhere he is going to stop for 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..because he'd have to get the CCS upgrade to use em:pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

In my super efficient world of the Ioniq, it's grand. Few kWh in, get me a bit of range, and sure it's free afterall. But when it starts to become not worth the bother of plugging in, then it's just there for optics. The ioniqs 28kWh battery is pretty small by todays standards, so most cars are going to have bigger batteries, thus heavier, thus worst km per kWh, and therefore, getting 3.5kWh in 30 minutes equates to maybe 17km of range. Up to yourself, but hardly worth the effort.

If it's tethered at least that takes half the hassle away, but you know it won't be.

It'll most certainly be AC. Cost of DC chargers just aint worth it when it's a free service.

It'll most certainly be AC. Cost of DC chargers just aint worth it when it's a free service.

They've said it will be 2 charge points so I'd be flabbergasted if its two DC chargers. Has to be AC only.... probably one pedestal with two ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭zg3409

New Aldi in Clonakilty to have 2 free charge points

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/aldi-announces-plans-to-open-new-store-in-cork-1001933.html

Powered by 100% green electricity, it will also include two free-to-use electric vehicle charging points outside the store.

Presumably slow chargers which wont be much use but anyway....

Aldi Glenegeary has 2 easygo pedestals with 4 outlets
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/103482

2 x 22kW and 2 x 7kW. Fees apply to this charger of 18c/kWh.
    I note the clonakilty says it will be free.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Aldi Glenegeary has 2 easygo pedestals with 4 outlets
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/103482

2 x 22kW and 2 x 7kW

Four useless chargers for when I do my 30 min shop in Aldi!
    * excludes Zoe drivers

* excludes Zoe drivers
    If you've a zoe and you get 11kWh in 30 mins

that gets you what, 50-60 km. Not to be sneezed at but hardly worth the hassle.

If you've a zoe and you get 11kWh in 30 mins

that gets you what, 50-60 km. Not to be sneezed at but hardly worth the hassle.

I hope you wiped down the charger after that?! :pac:

* excludes Zoe drivers

Includes Zoe drivers and Tesla drivers like myself able to charge at 23kW. Hook up for half an hour and we save ourselves an astonishing €0.90. Not worth the bother.

:rolleyes:

The fastest charger the ESB have is 50kW despite the millions of tax payers money we throw at them. The private sector has put in dozens of 300+ kW chargers completely or almost free to the Irish tax payer

You seem to have an affiliation with that incompetent crowd the ESB. Or just an "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude. I don't know which of the two is worse. I am entirely objective here, I have no horse in this race, my car can not fast charge at any public fast charging point

I say it as it is though and the ESB progress on installing fast chargers is appalling. With no excuse for it.

The private sector has put in dozens of 300+ kW chargers completely or almost free to the Irish tax payer

That has been explained to you a few times. Its not almost free. Significantly subsidised.

And how many of the Ionity chargers can actually deliver 350kW today and how many cars in the country can take it? Ah right!

You seem to have an affiliation with that incompetent crowd the ESB. Or just an "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude. I don't know which of the two is worse.

I already told you in no uncertain terms that I have no affiliation with them and I have been critical of their delivery (or lack thereof) on here so not an it'll be grand attitude either. I'm just a bit more balanced than you with the rants about salaries and pensions and taxpayers money in every thread.

I am entirely objective here, I have no horse in this race, my car can not fast charge at any public fast charging point

No, your not. You've been raving about everything from salaries and pensions for ages even when you had a car that could use eCars chargers and you used them for free.
    ... the ESB progress on installing fast chargers is appalling. With no excuse for it.

Agreed. I dont see anyone making excuses for their lack of delivery. Im certainly not.

That has been explained to you a few times. Its not almost free. Significantly subsidised.

And how many of the Ionity chargers can actually deliver 350kW today and how many cars in the country can take it? Ah right!

I already told you in no uncertain terms that I have no affiliation with them and I have been critical of their delivery (or lack thereof) on here so not an it'll be grand attitude either. I'm just a bit more balanced than you with the rants about salaries and pensions and taxpayers money in every thread.

No, your not. You've been raving about everything from salaries and pensions for ages even when you had a car that could use eCars chargers and you used them for free.

Agreed. I dont see anyone making excuses for their lack of delivery. Im certainly not.
    Not only was it subsidised, it was almost not at all subsidised by the government directly.
    Subsidies came from the PSO levy and from the EU.

The Ionity chargers can charge current roadgoing cars at 200kW (model 3). Ecars is way behind.

• Advertisement

The Ionity chargers can charge current roadgoing cars at 200kW (model 3). Ecars is way behind.

Not disputing that at all. But 200kW charging Tesla's is an outlier.

I keep saying on here that peak charge rates are meaningless.

For the next 5, possibly 10, years you can expect the vast majority of cars to be charging at <100kW (average)? Would you disagree with that statement?

We need eCars to deliver on their hub plan which is 175kW chargers. Their plan is good. Their execution is non-existent.

Not disputing that at all. But 200kW charging Tesla's is an outlier.

I keep saying on here that peak charge rates are meaningless.

For the next 5, possibly 10, years you can expect the vast majority of cars to be charging at <100kW (average)? Would you disagree with that statement?

We need eCars to deliver on their hub plan which is 175kW chargers. Their plan is good. Their execution is non-existent.

If you take the average charge rate from 10-90% then yes I would agree.
    The peak rates sub 50% SOC will continue to go up but, without adding large top buffers like eTron, it is impossible to maintain that speed.

You're the one mentioning salaries in your post. Twice. If you have no affiliation with them, then how come you are not raging about their ridiculous lack of progress despite being generously funded? How come you are not mad that your tax money is being wasted or at best not spent for much needed infrastructure? Explain that to me.

Is it because you don't care because your car won't be able to use any of the new fast chargers >100kW that we are promised?

My car can't either, but I am passionate about the progress of EVs and here in Ireland we are as usual years behind other western countries. It's time for some quick catching up. That's my motivation and I apologise if that sometimes comes across onto a public forum in the form of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Includes Zoe drivers and Tesla drivers like myself able to charge at 23kW. Hook up for half an hour and we save ourselves an astonishing €0.90. Not worth the bother.

:rolleyes:

The fastest charger the ESB have is 50kW despite the millions of tax payers money we throw at them. The private sector has put in dozens of 300+ kW chargers completely or almost free to the Irish tax payer

You seem to have an affiliation with that incompetent crowd the ESB. Or just an "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude. I don't know which of the two is worse. I am entirely objective here, I have no horse in this race, my car can not fast charge at any public fast charging point

I say it as it is though and the ESB progress on installing fast chargers is appalling. With no excuse for it.
    I agree with the gist but comparing a project of several carmakers (Ionity) who have billions spare to build this stuff with Irish government's project who have a budget of a few million isn't fair. Especially given how scourge the Irish government's stinginess when it comes any sort of infrastructure projects, especially outside of the Pale.

Yes, ESB could have built more from the money invested but it's really peanuts the budget overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Welp my new Kona EV is sitting dead in my drive. Charged it up 2 days ago, unplugged it the day after. Went to move it just now and nothing is responding, everything completely locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

mp3guy wrote: »
    Welp my new Kona EV is sitting dead in my drive. Charged it up 2 days ago, unplugged it the day after. Went to move it just now and nothing is responding, everything completely locked down.
    12 V battery dead

McGiver wrote: »
    12 V battery dead

What a pain in the arse. Anyway I can restore it myself or am I onto the garage?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What a pain in the arse. Anyway I can restore it myself or am I onto the garage?

Jump it with another car?
    The door handle usually has a little cover on it which reveals a "ye olde" door lock where you can use the physical key to open it. Look on the underside of the handle, there's usually a little gap you can fit the key into to pop it off. That'll get your car open, then pop the hood and connect it up to another cars 12V battery, wait 10-15 minutes and hopefully you're good to go.

Jump it with another car?
    The door handle usually has a little cover on it which reveals a "ye olde" door lock where you can use the physical key to open it. Look on the underside of the handle, there's usually a little gap you can fit the key into to pop it off. That'll get your car open, then pop the hood and connect it up to another cars 12V battery and hopefully you're good to go.

I was wondering if ye olde methods still applied, any warranty worries with 12V jumping? How do I keep the 12V charged after? Not driving much these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Would you have a 12v booster pack, or one of them li ion jobbies? Or a battery charger?

Hell even jump leads, from another car, it doesn't need much, just enough to power the dc-dc converter to start the charge from the high voltage battery.

(12v batteries should not go dead in an ev.. but that's a whole other kettle of fish)

Advertisement