Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

mp3guy wrote: »
    I was wondering if ye olde methods still applied, any warranty worries with 12V jumping? How do I keep the 12V charged after? Not driving much these days.

The car should be keeping its 12v battery charged... I know in my Ioniq there's a setting you can enable on the dash to keep the 12v topped up, but it should be doing that by default I believe.

If jumpers are your only option, just leave the donor car connected to the Kona (turned off) for about 10 minutes to charge up the 12V. Then disconnect everything and hopefully fire up the Kona.

If it's being a pain after 2 days idling, get onto Hyundai. That's not good enough.

Is it a bit telling that the Kona isn't held in high regard here, considering there's no (active) dedicated Kona thread?

If memory serves me right, a lot of us were pretty excited about it when it was coming out, but a combination of terrible Irish spec and a €38k price tag for a cramped SUV put us all off. It was never really an option for myself when going EV (cost), but once I seen it in the flesh/hard plastic I couldn't believe how undesirable it was.

By contrast, the Kia eNiro thread is alive and well, and there's flip all of them on the market. It's pretty much a Kona underneath, but being a bit more practical in size it has a following here on boards. I can't say it's the prettiest thing either, but I didn't have too much affection for the aesthetics of the Ioniq when I was buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is it a bit telling that the Kona isn't held in high regard here, considering there's no (active) dedicated Kona thread?

If memory serves me right, a lot of us were pretty excited about it when it was coming out, but a combination of terrible Irish spec and a €38k price tag for a cramped SUV put us all off. It was never really an option for myself when going EV (cost), but once I seen it in the flesh/hard plastic I couldn't believe how undesirable it was.

By contrast, the Kia eNiro thread is alive and well, and there's flip all of them on the market. It's pretty much a Kona underneath, but being a bit more practical in size it has a following here on boards. I can't say it's the prettiest thing either, but I didn't have too much affection for the aesthetics of the Ioniq when I was buying one.

There is a Kona thread, but it is quiet.

I was excited about the Kona when it was first announced, but my interest fell off a cliff when I saw the Paddy Spec. The Niro is what the Kona should have been and I'm very happy with mine. Looks like I'll be keeping it for a while too.

The ID3 is a big disappointment so far and the Tesla Model Y would be a non runner too if it gets the same fit and finish as the Model 3. Shoddy paintwork on a car in that price bracket is unforgivable. The only hope is that the Model Y should be built in Germany, but that's no guarantee of a better build or finish.

I'll wait for a car to tempt me out of the Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I appreciate the Kona for signalling the time is right for me to get an EV. I was thinking I'd be waiting through one more ICE before moving to EV, but then I saw the Kona randomly on the street, having not been aware of it previously. But while looking into it, I discovered the Niro, which seemed like the Kona, but a bit better in meaningful ways, so that's what I'll be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭zg3409

I was wondering if ye olde methods still applied, any warranty worries with 12V jumping? How do I keep the 12V charged after? Not driving much these days.

Hyundai's have free break down recovery so you can ring them and the AA will come and bring to dealer if required.
    https://m.hyundai.ie/hyundai-aa-assist

You can pop the cover off the drivers door handle, but some warnings, the handle MUST be kept pulled out while you pop the cover from.next to the handle. Push in black part underneath and hinge plastic up. Be gentle

See this video
    https://youtu.be/L3StkuerUUI
    More than 10,000 views of emergency opening of my Ioniq I uploaded. Kona I presume is the same. AA will.do this for you if you want.

It will only need to be jump started for a few seconds until you can turn engine on. 12v battery warranty is only 2 years and I had hassle getting dealer to replace so I bought my own for 100 euro. As others have said there is probably a menu option for auxiliary battery charger, see owners manual, make sure that's on. A new battery will give peace of mind. The car should top up the 12v from main battery and it should top it up when charging or driving, but its common enough for 12v to go low and need replacing within 2 years.

• Advertisement

I was excited about the Kona when it was first announced, but my interest fell off a cliff when I saw the Paddy Spec. The Niro is what the Kona should have been and I'm very happy with mine. Looks like I'll be keeping it for a while too.
    JohnC. wrote: »
    I appreciate the Kona for signalling the time is right for me to get an EV.... I discovered the Niro.... so that's what I'll be getting.

Pretty much summed up my point. Kona isn't a car you'd recommend. In fact, i'm not sure I remember anyone recommending one here on boards. 2 bad ones from Hyundai so. Kona (especially the 38kWh battery pack) and the Ioniq 38.

Too early to say with the ID3 and the Y, but I suspect costs will be the main blockers on those 2, though at least with the Y you should get some cool tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup
    Too small.
    Crap spec
    Overpriced.

#simples

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stupid price tag, you can get a used Tesla Model S with slightly less range at similar price point, albeit a 5/6 year old car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I had a deposit on one for a while. But the size is terrible, feels cramped even compared to my i3 which is hardly massive.

And the plastic finish inside is reminiscent of my dad's old Dascia.

Range is fantastic, but as said the absolute only advantage the Kona has over the e-Niro is availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yup
    Too small.
    Crap spec
    Overpriced.

#simples

Shrug, I looked at the eNiro and prefer the compactness of the Kona, suits me better.

Anyway, jumped the 12v and it turned on straight away. I have the auto 12v top up feature enabled so I'll see how it goes, if it goes flat again back onto the garage.

• Advertisement

Shrug, I looked at the eNiro and prefer the compactness of the Kona, suits me better.

Sorry if we're bashing your car. If you're happy, it's all that matters. It sells well so it certainly suits some.

Glad you got the 12v sorted

Sorry if we're bashing your car. If you're happy, it's all that matters. It sells well so it certainly suits some.

Glad you got the 12v sorted

I definitely understand the preference for the eNiro over the Kona in general, but our other car is quite a bit bigger and I drive in the city a lot. The ~20cm length difference between the two makes a big difference in those tight carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

has anyone any idea of how long it is taking for the VET / SEAI grants & rebates to be processed - I'm somewhat patiently waiting and the dealer is saying he hasn't anything back on the application - its been over a week now !

slave1 wrote: »
    Stupid price tag, you can get a used Tesla Model S with slightly less range at similar price point, albeit a 5/6 year old car

Maybe he's not an overweight balding 55 year old

I'm not balding or 55

I'm not balding or 55

Bald and 56?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyway, jumped the 12v and it turned on straight away. I have the auto 12v top up feature enabled so I'll see how it goes, if it goes flat again back onto the garage.

In current covid climate with little driving going on it will almost certainly go dead again unless you stick it on a 12v charger overnight.

Buying a new battery will likely still end up dead simply because it’s not being topped up.

Bald and 56?
    hairy and mid 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    In current covid climate with little driving going on it will almost certainly go dead again unless you stick it on a 12v charger overnight.

Buying a new battery will likely still end up dead simply because it’s not being topped up.

My car hasn't been regularly used in 2 months. I stick the 12V on a smart charger once a week to keep it up to scratch.

There's some comment elsewhere that the 12V battery saver only works for 10 sessions, then gives up.

Someone on here did an experiment with the battery saver and found that it only kicks in at 11.8V which is ridiculously low. However, this conflicts with experimentation elsewhere that shows that the 12V top-up is based on elapsed time and has nothing to do with the charge state of the 12V, (runs every x hours), and doesn't run long enough to fully charge the 12V.

Either way, I think it's best to run the 12V on a smart charger, while we are in this exceptional situation. I never need to intervene when driving patterns are normal.

hairy and mid 30's

Theres always an exception to the rule.
    Teslas are the new midlife crisis car,it used to be a convertible.

Good for you,enjoy your car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭eagerv

My wife calls the Tesla the menopausal car, since I have started showing interest in a Model 3.:)
    I am a little older than some on here..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

I had a convertible in my early 30s before wife and kids, an MG-TF160. Now I'm late 40s and have Model 3. Does that mean I'm on my 2nd mid-life crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah, my 1st midlife crisis must have been buying my first car at 30, a BMW

2nd midlife crisis must have been buying a boat 2 years ago.

3rd I guess is buying a Tesla at 38

Mid-Life Crisis's are fcuking great!!! I can't wait to have my next one....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Teslas are the new midlife crisis car,it used to be a convertible.

Let me see...

in my 30s - several V8 petrol cars (including a Porsche)
    in my 40s - several convertibles (including another Porsche)
    in my 50s - EVs (including a Tesla, a performance model, does that count double?)

Seems I have been in a midlife crisis permanently for decades now. Yeah! :D

my mid-life crisis is deciding to build a massive scalextric track - I've been picking up track and bit and pieces over the last few months and will start building a table for it next week and then probably spend a decade keeping the kids away from it while I obsess over building up scenery !

My car hasn't been regularly used in 2 months. I stick the 12V on a smart charger once a week to keep it up to scratch.

There's some comment elsewhere that the 12V battery saver only works for 10 sessions, then gives up.

Someone on here did an experiment with the battery saver and found that it only kicks in at 11.8V which is ridiculously low. However, this conflicts with experimentation elsewhere that shows that the 12V top-up is based on elapsed time and has nothing to do with the charge state of the 12V, (runs every x hours), and doesn't run long enough to fully charge the 12V.

Either way, I think it's best to run the 12V on a smart charger, while we are in this exceptional situation. I never need to intervene when driving patterns are normal.

Any recommendations on which smart charger to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Im happy with the Ring RSC612. Cant remember where I bought it but here is one seller on ebay...
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ring-RSC612-12v-12A-upto-5-0L-Car-Van-Smart-Battery-Charger-with-Built-in-Tester-/281583554008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have this one fitted in the boat.
    Battery always seems to be in good condition..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=smart+battery+charger+12v&qid=1590679611&sr=8-10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

whippet wrote: »
    my mid-life crisis is deciding to build a massive scalextric track - I've been picking up track and bit and pieces over the last few months and will start building a table for it next week and then probably spend a decade keeping the kids away from it while I obsess over building up scenery !

Technically electric cars too.

• Advertisement

Just got a call to say I can pick up my new car tomorrow ... grants have been approved - took two weeks with the back log.

I’ll need to look at ordering and getting a charger installed.

It a BMW 330e MSport Plus ... really looking forward to being able to drive it the 5km an back on essential journeys

Advertisement