Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »

Seen that, and seen a few electric kangoo and konas around. Tis nice to see. I think I read somewhere that those 30 charge points are not public. I guess with 76 vehicles in use most the time they'd be used quite regularly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

With Tesla due to announce the million mile battery, and CATL announcing their own two million km battery (https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-52966178), could we soon seen a new selling point for EVs?
    The rest of the powertrain of an EV is extremely well understood and also has a long shelf life, so we could be looking at powertrain's that last longer with less servicing than a respective ICE.

... and if car manufacturers seriously looked at corrosion resistant materials for the car bodies, the cars could easily last as long as the batteries.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

... and if car manufacturers seriously looked at corrosion resistant materials for the car bodies, the cars could easily last as long as the batteries.

Cybertruck has entered the chat.

Although people said they were mad to make it out of stainless steel, it's pretty corrosion resistant.

Although recent car bodies last a long time compared to my father & grandfather's time,

Still plenty of 20 year old cars on the road now, my sister still drives a 2000 tdi golf, that my grandfather bought new. He didn't want anything fancy, didn't even have electric windows.. that being said, the wind windows still work perfectly and car has given almost no trouble.

(Only majorish thing went wrong was a air pressure switch to control the turbo or something, meaning the turbo never kicked in)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Are all current Teslas not made from Aluminum

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I3 is aluminium, carbon fiber and largely plastic I bet these will be around for a long time after the batteries fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Are all current Teslas not made from Aluminum

No, not the Model 3. It's made from mostly steel like 99% of all cars.

graememk wrote: »
    Cybertruck has entered the chat.

Although people said they were mad to make it out of stainless steel, it's pretty corrosion resistant.

Although recent car bodies last a long time compared to my father & grandfather's time,

Still plenty of 20 year old cars on the road now, my sister still drives a 2000 tdi golf, that my grandfather bought new. He didn't want anything fancy, didn't even have electric windows.. that being said, the wind windows still work perfectly and car has given almost no trouble.

(Only majorish thing went wrong was a air pressure switch to control the turbo or something, meaning the turbo never kicked in)
    I have to agree that many of the more recent cars are better at resisting corrosion that those built in the 1950 to late 1980s era when cars were supposed to be disposable after about 10 years. Some makes were always better, while there were some really designed to rust quickly. It doesn't cost that much extra to treat the bodies to add years of life to them, there are many methods available as well.

Cars tend to expire these days because of multiple component failures that eventually make them unusable, if emission controls don't get them first.
    Three's a lot to be said for building cars that have fewer bells & whistles, less to go wrong.
    I expect that in the future, cars will be scrapped because the display screen won't light up and replacements cost nearly as much as the car's market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Can anyone confirm if parking for an EV is free when charging at Woodquay and the Dyke road in Galway city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can anyone offer any advice:

I have pretty much decided to sell my S. I just cant be arsed with dealing with the monkeys from DD who call upfor a chat. It's going to be worse now as people have been on lockdown.

Is there anywhere better than donedeal to list such a car?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ELM327 wrote: »

I have pretty much decided to sell my S. I just cant be arsed with dealing with the monkeys from DD who call upfor a chat. It's going to be worse now as people have been on lockdown.

Donedeal has the biggest market but I have mates who constantly scour Carzone and a recent Mk5 GTi purchase was through Carzone that the owner didn't even list on Donedeal so that go me searching Carzone now just incase anything pops up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Adverts

Not really. But I would put ads up on DD, adverts, carzone and carsireland anyway

Best bet (to avoid having to deal with tyre kicking plebs from DD) would probably be word of mouth in social media like here though. Particularly as you are open to taking in an Ioniq or i3. Plenty of owners here who would aspire to get your car next. Both parties should come out of this deal well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Not really. But I would put ads up on DD, adverts, carzone and carsireland anyway

Best bet (to avoid having to deal with tyre kicking plebs from DD) would probably be word of mouth in social media like here though. Particularly as you are open to taking in an Ioniq or i3. Plenty of owners here who would aspire to get your car next. Both parties should come out of this deal well.

Yeah, I'd much prefer that tbh.
    I mean, don't get me wrong I'd prefer a cash sale, but a lot of folks moving to a Tesla will have a prior EV to shift on. And (once it's not a leaf or sub 150km real world range ev) I'm fine with taking that for a while.

If there are other EVs than i3 or Ioniq that you would consider as trade in, you might as well mention them here :)

eGolf? Leaf 40kWh? Probably not, it seems you have a total hatred for all things Leaf after owning your one :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Will swap for an e-Up! :P

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

obi604 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if parking for an EV is free when charging at Woodquay and the Dyke road in Galway city?

I paid when I was there, pay and display sign is literally on the ev parking sign. A poster here did say they got a letter or something from Galway council saying it wasn't payable. Search the thread I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Councils could be clearer on the payment situation. I've only checked the sites of 5 councils but just one of them mention the EVs that I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

krissovo wrote: »
    I3 is aluminium, carbon fiber and largely plastic I bet these will be around for a long time after the batteries fail.

Supposedly samsung(might be LG) stated that the i3 battery would do 3200 cycles before falling below 80%. So that would be 3200x200km= 640,000kms.

• Advertisement

In 2030 we will all laugh about the silliness that was going on around 2020 in that people thought EVs would never work as the batteries would die and have to be replaced every 5 years and that would cost mega money :p:D :pac:

Lithium batteries last longer than the cars, folks. When the car is end of life, the battery will be re-used for its second life of another 15-20 years in a power wall or some other setup.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Adverts

Not a chance would I put a car on adverts.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Councils could be clearer on the payment situation. I've only checked the sites of 5 councils but just one of them mention the EVs that I could see.

Most are in fairness.

Dublin City, pay and display. Full stop.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Not a chance would I put a car on adverts.

If you put your car on Adverts it automatically goes on DoneDeal for nothing extra

Most are in fairness.

Dublin City, pay and display. Full stop.

Not on every charger.

slave1 wrote: »
    If you put your car on Adverts it automatically goes on DoneDeal for nothing extra

Wasn’t aware of that. I only paid €8 a few weeks back to put my i3 on DoneDeal!
    unkel wrote: »
    Not on every charger.

Actually your right. Clontarf one is free to park.
    Not aware of any other ones in Dublin City Council areas?

Actually your right. Clontarf one is free to park.
    Not aware of any other ones in Dublin City Council areas?

Isn't Clontarf an Irish rail car park. It's only Dublin City Council who ask for payment at charging equipped parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I paid when I was there, pay and display sign is literally on the ev parking sign. A poster here did say they got a letter or something from Galway council saying it wasn't payable. Search the thread I'd say
    Galway City free while charging. I had emailed them 2 years ago. Hasn't changed AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

It should be free for everywhere if not talk with your councillor....

Esb may very well start charging for the 22kw 7kw stations. So getting charged twice is just stupid.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »

Esb may very well start charging for the 22kw 7kw stations. So getting charged twice is just stupid.

They will, I think they said with the whole COVID19 they are pushing out until next year and that's a very fair point you're making but will a county council forgo a parking charge when they are not receiving the benefit of the electricity charge?

Advertisement