Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

liamog wrote: »
    Isn't Clontarf an Irish rail car park. It's only Dublin City Council who ask for payment at charging equipped parking spaces.

The Irish rail one is on the grounds of the train station.
    There’s one in Clontarf too that appears to not be a pay and display area.
    Kincora Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Laviski wrote: »
    Esb may very well start charging for the 22kw 7kw stations. So getting charged twice is just stupid.

Why not? You're getting two services, you car is parked and your car is being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

markpb wrote: »
    Why not? You're getting two services, you car is parked and your car is being charged.

doesn't matter for me its free in galway however, ESB have got the spaces from council, it should be esb to pay council for them. In turn i would pay esb. Otherwise anyone should be allowed to park in them if they paid for the parking to the council.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I need to browser other forum topics...

https://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

Unkel and ELM battling out for top spot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

More info on the Hyundai 45, their entrant into the EV Compact Family Hatch market
    https://www.carscoops.com/2020/06/2021-hyundai-45-ev-what-itll-look-like-powetrain-everything-else-we-know/

The pic is a render not an official photo

2021-Hyundai-45-Carscoops-1-768x470.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine is Unkel by miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That Hyundai is a good looking car! I thought for a second it was an Audi.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Mine is Unkel by miles...

Looks like it's mutual. Will you marry me? :D

The mrs won't be happy, but at least I can waffle on about cars more :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

More info on the Hyundai 45, their entrant into the EV Compact Family Hatch market
    https://www.carscoops.com/2020/06/2021-hyundai-45-ev-what-itll-look-like-powetrain-everything-else-we-know/

The pic is a render not an official photo

2021-Hyundai-45-Carscoops-1-768x470.jpg

Looks class but that will be big money, over €50,000 easy

Seems to be an electric rival to hot hatches like Audi RS2/Focus RS/Golf R etc

Dual motor, 75-100kWh, all wheel drive

Dream car tbh

Hyundai unlimited milage warranty and that performance

ID3 looks lame in comparison

Go Koreans

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Looks class but that will be big money, over €50,000 easy

That's your response to every new EV :D

It's on a new dedicated EV platform, they should really slot this in at the Kona level and then drop the Kona down to around the 30,000 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

That's your response to every new EV :D

It's on a new dedicated EV platform, they should really slot this in at the Kona level and then drop the Kona down to around the 30,000 mark.

Would be amazing progress

I'll have a successor to my Fabia RS if that's true :)

Your right as well no reason it couldnt be that price

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Would be amazing progress

I'll have a successor to my Fabia RS if that's true :)

Your right as well no reason it couldnt be that price
    That car will be like triggers broom before it has a successor :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EV demand is going one way only, I would not bank on meaningful price reductions of any kind for the foresseable future years.
    Don't forget there will be a marker correction in January with UK imports out of the equation (and there are still good prices there for a lot of EVs) and then the inevitable reduction of VRT and SEAI grant (€10k at present), home charger installation, tolls, BIK, free charging etc...
    New EVs are always going to be expensive so if you're waiting to jump on the bandwagon you'll be forever waiting.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Living with the 330e for the last week and am still getting used to how to drive it most efficiently - and at this stage its just a case of leave it up to the car to decide it.

Went for a 87km round trip today to collect some stuff - mix of Motorway, back roads and small towns. The car was fully charged, AC on high, stuck to speed limits and according to the car i've returned 3.1l/100km - set the destination in to sat nav and the car decided when ev / ice was needed.

I must say i'm very happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

pLbqPQl.png

for those who like units Opel did it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi all couldnt think of anywhere else to ask an inane qn like this so hopefully its ok here, ill be joining the brigade in early July, Audi etron 50.

We are going to parknasilla in kerry in late august, route looks to be stop in cashel half way for a 20 min charge or so and then continue to Kerry. When i get there ill probably be at 10% or so.

It doesnt look like parknasilla has any charging facilities on site, we are staying in one of the woodland lodges.

So i was looking at options.

There is 22kw AC charging in sneem, but id probably need 3 hours at that.

What would folks normally do? try and get the required top up in sneem over the week i am there (im sure ill be in and out a bit) or try 3 pinning it from the house (i dont think the parking is directly outside so id probably need to bring an extension cable!!)

probably a very stupid qn!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi all couldnt think of anywhere else to ask an inane qn like this so hopefully its ok here, ill be joining the brigade in early July, Audi etron 50.

We are going to parknasilla in kerry in late august, route looks to be stop in cashel half way for a 20 min charge or so and then continue to Kerry. When i get there ill probably be at 10% or so.

It doesnt look like parknasilla has any charging facilities on site, we are staying in one of the woodland lodges.

What would folks normally do? try and get the required top up in sneem over the week i am there (im sure ill be in and out a bit) or try 3 pinning it from the house (i dont think the parking is directly outside so id probably need to bring an extension cable!!)

I'd charge longer in Cashel if possible. On trip to Waterford from Dublin in January I was losing 10km from GOM for every 6km travelled due to strong headwind.

Call the hotel as well they'll be only too happy to accommodate 3 pin charging.

I would stop in Killarney for another 20 - 30 mins

innrain wrote: »
    I would stop in Killarney for another 20 - 30 mins

yeah looks to be a 50kw charger in randles garage maybe we will take a trip into killarney one of the days and charge off that.

I'd agree with the previous comment. Charge a bit longer at the rapid charger so you've enough to get you from parknasilla to the closest rapid charger on your return leg.

Certainly ring the hotel and ask. If they have nothing, at least they'll be the little bit more aware that EVs require destination chargers.

Have you used https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ to guide your charging for your trip? It's a lot more accurate than just relying on the manufacturers stated range or the GOM (guess-o-meter for remaining range available).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I would add another stop eg Macroom.
    If you arrive with only 10% and granny charging you will be stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear Cyrus! You're buying new? They're pretty good value for money last time I looked. And fast charge like nothing else in the business :D

Can you park beside your woodland lodge, or a good bit away? If beside the lodge, just use the granny charger as soon as you get there, and let it charge all night overnight. Probably same again the next night.

I'd agree with the previous comment. Charge a bit longer at the rapid charger so you've enough to get you from parknasilla to the closest rapid charger on your return leg.

Certainly ring the hotel and ask. If they have nothing, at least they'll be the little bit more aware that EVs require destination chargers.

Have you used https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ to guide your charging for your trip? It's a lot more accurate than just relying on the manufacturers stated range or the GOM (guess-o-meter for remaining range available).

im using ABRP alright, its suggesting a charge to 80% at cashel one would assume in the interests of time as charging speed will decrease from that point on wards. not sure how much driving we will do down there, so it may not be a case of parking up and returning. if we do travel around a bit i can use the 22kw or go into killarney for 50kw i guess.

unkel wrote: »
    Can you park beside your woodland lodge, or a good bit away? If beside the lodge, just use the granny charger as soon as you get there, and let it charge all night overnight. Probably same again the next night.

Google satellite view kinda suggests not

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear Cyrus! You're buying new? They're pretty good value for money last time I looked. And fast charge like nothing else in the business :D

yep new this time, looking forward to it, the 50 is reasonable value for money compared to the 55, the i pace, model x and the eqc and i wanted a SUV size car.

ill call the hotel and see, i think the parking arrangement is more communal and you walk to the lodge (not far but you arent in the driveway)

Google satellite view kinda suggests not

yes i thought the same but i havent been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

yeah looks to be a 50kw charger in randles garage maybe we will take a trip into killarney one of the days and charge off that.
    I would route myself through Killarney on the way there. I mean you go on holidays with a new car. Driving through the National Park is the best drive test you can get. That's opposed to driving on secondary roads. Probably slower by 15 mins

Kenmare fast charger upgrade would be nice:

516126.jpg

Kerry's a scary place for electric cars.

• Advertisement

hotel just replied

We do not have a dedicated charging system, however, we do have an area where an electric car can plug in and charge. If you ask at reception a member of the team can show you where it is located

so i presume there is an outdoor 3 pin plug which is grand i could leave the car at that for 24 hours and get enough to get me back to cashel im sure.

Advertisement