Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cyrus wrote: »
    hotel just replied

We do not have a dedicated charging system, however, we do have an area where an electric car can plug in and charge. If you ask at reception a member of the team can show you where it is located

so i presume there is an outdoor 3 pin plug which is grand i could leave the car at that for 24 hours and get enough to get me back to cashel im sure.

Result!

If they do, take a pic when you're setup and update plugshare to say a 3 pin socket is available on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

kanuseeme wrote: »
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202006120070081?radius=1500&postcode=cv92pz&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Electric&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&make=AUDI&sort=price-asc&page=1

Try that one, the units are fine but its the amount of them, 2.3 mW

BRAND NEW - IN STOCK

Audi E-Tron
    AUDI e-tron Technik 50 quattro 230,00 kW 5dr

RRP £56,668

Price£52,749
    I think this refers to the motor output. 230kW which is about 310 bhp. EU introduced a new rule few years back that all car advertising should label power output in kW.
    The Opel advert is on opel.ie build and price and a total mess. The reference to 7.4 kW is for AC charging and is pointless as both trims have the same charging speed. On the same line they can say it has 4 wheels.

The 50kW is completely wrong as it refers to battery capacity which is 50kWh. I know it sound pedantic but this is a major business not a corner shop.

This is after the fact that the price displayed during build is >37k with no reference to the grants. If you dig you find the price list with is 27.3k. Do they actually want to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Cyrus wrote: »
    hotel just replied

We do not have a dedicated charging system, however, we do have an area where an electric car can plug in and charge. If you ask at reception a member of the team can show you where it is located

so i presume there is an outdoor 3 pin plug which is grand i could leave the car at that for 24 hours and get enough to get me back to cashel im sure.

Confirm the plug type with them. Some places provide the blue 16a socket, you would need an adaptor to use the granny charger on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Confirm the plug type with them. Some places provide the blue 16a socket, you would need an adaptor to use the granny charger on this.

Good point, some hotels with golf courses will have these (for charging golf carts) and if so you'll be able to get a much higher charger than off a 3pin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

3kW instead of 2kW :D

Will still take the guts of 24h to charge up a car with a big battery :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    3kW instead of 2kW :D

Will still take the guts of 24h to charge up a car with a big battery :D

Well 3.7kW so relative to 2.3kW off a 3pin, that's 60% faster so for a hotel overnight that's a welcome free boost.
    Every little counts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

looks like the etron has that adapter already which is nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAB9_P30AcU

..and if it's a 32amp blue pin then it could be a 7.4kW charge, you and I should both have that adapter in our frunks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah, go via Macroom, we're nice. They say, Macroom never reared a fool.
    Public charger getting very little use ATM.

A blast from the past!

517185.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

A blast from the past!

Is this actually real? The range is better than Leaf :D (of course much lower speed so)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Casati

McGiver wrote: »
    Is this actually real? The range is better than Leaf :D (of course much lower speed so)

It’s real, they actually got over 200 mile range in a test out of them

Even a Leaf could do 80 miles on a charge at 27mph...

...100 years later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup
    Big oil has kept EVs down since they won the first battle of the fuels.

Imagine where we'd be now if they hadnt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

JPA wrote: »
    This is actually a great film, part of a 3 part series, which is available free on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Tesla’s beta stop sign recognition has sometimes been mistaking Burger King signs as stop signs. Burger King didn’t let the opportunity pass without turning it into advertising.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/25/tesla-autopilot-confuses-burger-king-stop-signs-ad-campaign/amp/

"Artificial intelligence knows what you crave" :D Clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

What was battery degradation/life like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

ELM327 wrote: »
    This is actually a great film, part of a 3 part series, which is available free on youtube.

Load of rubbish that movie imo, way too much conspiracy, NiMH cells in that GM EV never suited for EV's

Batteries weren't ready then

Too expensive, too heavy, too many problems and petrol was cheap

If no taxes on petrol/diesel and bought at 40c a litre at the pump, electric had/has no chance

Batteries are still too expensive now and they are trying damn hard, in the 90's it was never going to take off.

In a few years when lfp type cells with good cycle life, good energy density, charge rate ( full to empty in 20-30mins with 3c+ charging ), no fancy cooling, simple cell to pack are available at sub €70 per kWh, EV's will be unstoppable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Groupe PSA have really come out of the gate swinging. They now have available or will be out soon the following. It really shows the power of a successful platform launch (e-CMP) which launched in 2019.

Citroen e-C4
    DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
    Opel Corsa-e
    Opel Mokka-e
    Peugeot e-208
    Peugeot e-2008

I think they are still concentrating on PHEVs for their bigger EMP2 platform (starting 2013), it will probably need to be updated to allow the same kind of EV as an option as they have achieved on the small side.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

liamog wrote: »
    Groupe PSA have really come out of the gate swinging. They now have available or will be out soon the following. It really shows the power of a successful platform launch (e-CMP) which launched in 2019.

Hyundai's upcoming e-GMP offerings look fairly interesting too

Citroen e-C4
    DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
    Opel Corsa-e
    Opel Mokka-e
    Peugeot e-208
    Peugeot e-2008

I think they are still concentrating on PHEVs for their bigger EMP2 platform (starting 2013), it will probably need to be updated to allow the same kind of EV as an option as they have achieved on the small side.

Giving them way too much credit Liam ;)

What they are doing is lazy and typical autogiant behaviour, one battery and one inefficient electric motor for the whole range on the same production line as ICE vehicles

That electric motor is very inefficient at higher speeds, at 120 km/h it can barely get 200 km range, you gotta stop every 150km on road trips

PSA like Nissan need to sort themselves out and increase efficiency at motorway speed

Issuing family cars with a 45 useable kWh battery capacity is pointless or an indication that PSA want to sell PHEV's with engines, those are short range EV's.

They gotta put in a 60 kWh+ battery and improve efficiency so you can get a 300-350 km range at motorway speeds like the Korean's to be taken seriously

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mike3287 wrote: »
    They gotta put in a 60 kWh+ battery and improve efficiency so you can get a 300-350 km range at motorway speeds like the Korean's to be taken seriously

Not everybody wants (or needs) to spend 40k on a daily driver. Charging infrastructure across Europe has got to the point that a 200km motorway car is more than adequate to get around. It's better to have EVs with that range starting at 27k instead of 400km range cars starting at 40k.

Not everybody wants (or needs) to spend 40k on a daily driver. Charging infrastructure across Europe has got to the point that a 200km motorway car is more than adequate to get around. It's better to have EVs with that range starting at 27k instead of 400km range cars starting at 40k.

Its better to have them at 34k and 400km like VW ID3

Difference between a 45kWh and 60kWh battery is about €2500 - €3000

Why you saying €13,000 difference?

Don't get me started on that underpowered 130bhp PSA motor either

Even Nissan have a proper 200bhp motor now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Mike3287 wrote:
    In a few years when lfp type cells with good cycle life, good energy density, charge rate ( full to empty in 20-30mins with 3c+ charging ), no fancy cooling, simple cell to pack are available at sub €70 per kWh, EV's will be unstoppable
    LFP?

There are others coming soon:
    Li-metal-graphene hybrid
    Li-S
    Li-air
    Graphene
    Zn-air (technically a Fuel Cell not a battery)

And then:
    Na-metal
    K-metal

In thar order...

I'd bet more on Li-metal-graphene than LiFePO4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Its better to have them at 34k and 400km like VW ID3

Difference between a 45kWh and 60kWh battery is about €2500 - €3000

Why you saying €13,000 difference?

Don't get me started on that underpowered 130bhp PSA motor either

Even Nissan have a proper 200bhp motor now

Does the average driver used to diesels with similar power and less torque need/want much more?

Our Ioniq IMO is a very nice drive, just a pity other manufacturers aren't producing something as efficient at a lower price point.

Comparing a 27k PSA car with it's 45kWh usable versus a 40k Hyundai/Kia with it's 64kWh usable. Interesting that the ID.3 1st with 58kWh usable comes smack in the middle of that price range.

Not everything is about a metal box with a powerful motor. This may shock diesel Fabia owners ;) but sometimes people buy cars for other reasons.

Comparing a 27k PSA car with it's 45kWh usable versus a 40k Hyundai/Kia with it's 64kWh usable. Interesting that the ID.3 1st with 58kWh usable comes smack in the middle of that price range.

Not everything is about a metal box with a powerful motor. This may shock diesel Fabia owners ;) but sometimes people buy cars for other reasons.

I just dont understand your praise of them?

No offence to PSA fans but its a lower brand of car compared to VW

Yet VW can produce a a rwd, 200bhp, 60kWh ish Golf size car with passat interior space for €34,000 and im guessing it will be pretty efficient at 120km/h as well

While PSA

Are offering

Fwd, 45kWh, 130bhp, tiny car, barely 200km @ 120km/h with dog of a motor starting at €27,000 and it covers the whole range of cars

If your happy with that ;-)

• Advertisement

LFP?

There are others coming soon:
    Li-metal-graphene hybrid
    Li-S
    Li-air
    Graphene
    Zn-air (technically a Fuel Cell not a battery)

And then:
    Na-metal
    K-metal

In thar order...

I'd bet more on Li-metal-graphene than LiFePO4.

They are years away

Lfp/lfmp are here now, read up on what CATL, BYD, Guayang ( VW bought ) have instore next year, its good enough to be mainstream

Advertisement