Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

KCross wrote: »
    WHat rock are you living under! :D

Half price tolls for BEV but you need to use a toll tag, cash at the barrier is no good.

Check the provider websites for the info.... tolltag.ie etc

FWIW the video account for M50 is also not allowed, like you said a tag is required.

The discount can be greater than 50% off-peak

https://csc.eflow.ie/low-emissions-vehicle-toll-incentive/EVTI-table-2-eFlow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote: »
    ok cool any recommendations on which one, i think i currently use eflow for the odd time i use a toll bridge

tolltag.ie / parkmagic. They have the best rates and they apply the EV discount instantly. Unlike other providers where you can only hope that you get the discount at the end of the month. The last thing you want to do is to reconcile that statement yourself

Costs €1.21 per month for the tag and 75% discount on a return M50 trip is €3.16 off peak (so you pay €1.04 toll for the return trip :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

KCross wrote: »
    WHat rock are you living under! :D

Half price tolls for BEV but you need to use a toll tag, cash at the barrier is no good.

Check the provider websites for the info.... tolltag.ie etc

Hmmm I'm with eFlow and it reads like this should be automatically activated, but it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry for the multiple posts, but anyone in or around Dublin have a new or used i3 tyre about?

519175.jpg

Already tried Electric Autos, he's out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »
    tolltag.ie / parkmagic. They have the best rates and they apply the EV discount instantly. Unlike other providers where you can only hope that you get the discount at the end of the month. The last thing you want to do is to reconcile that statement yourself

Costs €1.21 per month for the tag and 75% discount on a return M50 trip is €3.16 off peak (so you pay €1.04 toll for the return trip :D)

does anyone know if my tag is less likely to work oriented like this, as usual i stuck it up before i read the manual! it supposed to be horizontal, its neater like this but its fully in the black dotted area.

GpP67zP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If that's a Tesla it wont work
    Needs to be on the solid black, not the dotted area.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If that's a Tesla it wont work
    Needs to be on the solid black, not the dotted area.

its an audi

there is no solid black just a dotted area around the rear view camera

If the tag has only a horizontal antenna in it and the toll booths only use horizontal antennas, then there will be a considerable loss of sensitivity, easily -20dB - enough to lose the signal.
    The only way to know for sure is to try it.

If the tag has only a horizontal antenna in it and the toll booths only use horizontal antennas, then there will be a considerable loss of sensitivity, easily -20dB - enough to lose the signal.
    The only way to know for sure is to try it.

ok, probably better to move it,

any tricks on getting the thing off or just pull hard and stick it back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Cyrus wrote: »
    ok, probably better to move it,

any tricks on getting the thing off or just pull hard and stick it back up!

I'd slide the tag off the holder & then try to get (ideally) some fishing line or maybe dental floss (if strong enough) etc. between the glass & holder, pull side to side, in a sawing action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^ and get another double sided sticky foam pad, as the original is gone forever.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Random thought.

ESBs Ecars app puts little lightning bolts at each charge point, somewhat to denote power. 50kW units get 4 lightning bolts, as do 44kW ESB ones and the new 150kW units.
    It seems though that every other charge point gets 3 lightning bolts. 43kW AC, 22kW, 11kW, 7kW, 6kW, 3.7kW. And oddly, 44kW from Nissan dealers gets 3 lightning bolts.

Who cares really, but why have some sort of a tiered system and not use it.

I also have a tolltag.ie tag since the day I got my Ioniq and it worked great. Took the tag out of the car when I sold it, left the little holder glued onto the Ioniq windscreen. Then I just fecked the tag into the glove box of my new car. The M50 toll port no longer beeps when I pass it, so I guess it just takes my reg with the video camera. Billing is perfect, it recognises me every time I go through

Should I just leave it like that or should I get another tag holder from Tolltag.ie or just tape the tag somewhere to the windscreen in my Model S?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I asked my toll crowd will video recognition of my car get the EV discount and they said yes, as long as you have a tag account you will get the EV discount from either tag or video recording (if that answers your question)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Aye, I get the full toll discount (I pay €2.10 toll minus €1.58 discount off peak) and these both hit my account within seconds of passing the toll

Doesn't work for me on the M4 toll though, I have to stop at the booth and read out my tag number to the operator

eFlow don't seem to recognise my i3 as an EV, even though they list it as an i3. Should this be automatic or do I need to do something? Have I asked this question already? What day is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

Call them. I think I had to ring there times until I got the discount.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MJohnston wrote: »
    eFlow don't seem to recognise my i3 as an EV, even though they list it as an i3. Should this be automatic or do I need to do something? Have I asked this question already? What day is it?
    Is it the BEV or the PHEV i3?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

innrain wrote: »
    Call them. I think I had to ring there times until I got the discount.

You have to phone them and tell them it's an EV and you want the EV status for toll incentive pricing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    You have to phone them and tell them it's an EV and you want the EV status for toll incentive pricing

Cool thanks, amazing that they wouldn’t put that one line of info on their FAQ page about it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cool thanks, amazing that they wouldn’t put that one line of info on their FAQ page about it!

Q, do you have to contact Eflow or your actualy toll tag provider? I changed our toll tag over last week to give them the new reg but didn't tell them explicitly that it was an EV.

Your provider and you have to ask. Also you have to make sure they applying it as the might "forget".

Is there a guide to the quirks of various charge points

For example esb ac you need to swipe your card before you plug in

IONITY I believe you can connect then start the charge

Anything else ?

That's pretty much.
    I've heard rumors that the DCLite unit ( 44kW DC and 6Kw 3 phase AC) doesn't unlock the CSS plug easily; requires some fiddling with.

There are some videos on the ecars website. Maybe to make sure that you recognize the various plugs. I've seen someone complaining that his CCS car does not fast charge at the fast charger. Turned out he was using the the type2 cable. Not surprised cause when I bought my car the sales rep didn't know much about the fast chargers. They didn't show me a picture or how the charging port opens. Instead he connected my phone to the car's bluetooth.

There is another type of charges, rare so far, Tritium Veefil-RT 50kW (Easygo, Applegreen, CircleK (?) ) which usually are plug and play with the note that they are set to terminate the charging process at 80%. There is a setting on the charger to increase it to 100% should you wish.

It is good to know the charging curve for your car to optimize your stops https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360000815988-Charging-with-an-Audi-e-tron-Quattro?utm_source=WebEN-Car&utm_campaign=Klant-support&utm_medium=Hyper1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40020221.html

Surely they cant be this stupid to be producing cheat devices on euro 6 vehicles in 2019 given the heat that VW have had to endure over the last few years?! :confused:

All diesel cars are cancerous scams. Euro 6 is clean my bollocks. Can't wait for them to be banned.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Finally an end to the scourge that is the Outlander :P
    Mitsubishi are pulling out of Europe.

https://www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2020/07/27/mitsubishi-motors-in-the-uk-shares-unexpected-market-withdrawal-plan-with-dealers?fbclid=IwAR1YmTvOGMl62mFN9h6jRx_DPKB-18Wk8jZOpAD3shKCcqQmNB55OlsoDFU

The Outlander PHEV refresh is one of the models mentioned as being cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote: »
    Mitsubishi are pulling out of Europe.

https://www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2020/07/27/mitsubishi-motors-in-the-uk-shares-unexpected-market-withdrawal-plan-with-dealers?fbclid=IwAR1YmTvOGMl62mFN9h6jRx_DPKB-18Wk8jZOpAD3shKCcqQmNB55OlsoDFU

The Outlander PHEV refresh is one of the models mentioned as being cut.

:D Excellent...

Nissan are surrounded like Hitler in April 1945. But they're still not giving up on Chademo (not completely).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »

Apart from the aged interior & a few other things I didn't like, I liked the Outlander PHEV & considered it in 2018. I drove Mitsubishi commercial 4x4s for years & found them very reliable too.

It had great space, could tow 1,500Kg & was affordable. Nothing much else had that, in either full BEV or PHEV.

Advertisement