Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Casati wrote: »
    As a non EV owner I struggle to understand why charging is so emotive - don’t 99% of owners just charge at home all the time except for the v odd long distance journey - Ie typically when they are on holidays and have time to spare? Are chargers actually clogged up with lots of PHEV’s?

I think that's the point, it's only those rare exceptions where you're fully dependent on getting a fast charger to complete a trip that you might get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

Casati wrote: »
    As a non EV owner I struggle to understand why charging is so emotive - don’t 99% of owners just charge at home all the time except for the v odd long distance journey - Ie typically when they are on holidays and have time to spare? Are chargers actually clogged up with lots of PHEV’s?

your assuming all ev owners have driveways that allow this and even if they do you assume they have installed a home charger. The latter applies to me, hard to get sparky available but also casually looking around for the option that suits me so i'm just not in a rush just yet. At present all my charging is done via public network. never had an issue or wait but have notice the time i saw more plugin's with me being the only BEV. I know of a few ev owners that live in apartment complex's and have zero choice but to only charge via public infra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »
    When I turn up at a charger and someone is either plugging in or sat in the car, I'll give them a friendly, "hey, do you know roughly how long you are going to be charging for".

Gawd knows what response you'll get from ELM :D.

An easy solution that requires no altruism, no courtesy, no app etc. is proper charging, to include a time factor, with overstay fees.
    Simple as that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Laviski wrote: »
    your assuming all ev owners have driveways that allow this and even if they do you assume they have installed a home charger. The latter applies to me, hard to get sparky available but also casually looking around for the option that suits me so i'm just not in a rush just yet. At present all my charging is done via public network. never had an issue or wait but have notice the time i saw more plugin's with me being the only BEV. I know of a few ev owners that live in apartment complex's and have zero choice but to only charge via public infra.

I didn’t think anybody would get an EV if they didn’t have option for either home or work charging but if that’s the case then yeah it’s more critical for them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Kramer wrote: »

An easy solution that requires no altruism, no courtesy, no app etc. is proper charging, to include a time factor, with overstay fees.

That still wouldn't work with PHEVs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

MJohnston wrote: »
    That still wouldn't work with PHEVs though.

What wouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Quick question: as someone who often rides my motorcycle down to the fumes and occasionally beyond (motorcycles are heavy but moveable!), what happens when you run out of juice in the EV? Are there any roadside rescue solutions, or is it automatically a flatbed truck and a spin as far as the nearest available charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Rescue services, like AA, have vans with equipment to charge an EV these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Quick question: as someone who often rides my motorcycle down to the fumes and occasionally beyond (motorcycles are heavy but moveable!), what happens when you run out of juice in the EV? Are there any roadside rescue solutions, or is it automatically a flatbed truck and a spin as far as the nearest available charger?

The AA have at least one van with a booster for EVs. They can give you enough to get to a charger. That or a flatbed.

Edit: Beaten to it.

There are videos on youtube of people towing Teslas, with the car in "drive" and regen is putting some charge back into the batteries, probably not recommended, but it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

In this day and age there are no real excuses to run so low and most EV owners will have a number of charging plans for long journeys depending on their current state of charge at a particular stage of that journey.

However new owners do get caught out sometimes and most of us have a story of limping to a charger or riding the back of a flatbed when range dropped more than expected. Motorway speeds, change of weather and winter does impact range. It does not take long to really understand your car and when it will need a charge and it soon becomes second nature to manage the range without range anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Fully Charged had a guy at the Chengdu Motor Show, having a quick look at the many EVs now out or coming out in China. Some interesting stuff, some "interesting" stuff and some delightfully odd stuff.

The battery van & charger is class!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Can't say im too inspired by that lot.

Got very distracted by his lack of mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kramer wrote: »

He'd get a hi and an estimation of time remaining!
    Unless he was rude and knocked ignorantly on my window (which happened once, and I charged to 100% after out of spite, back in the free charge days).

These days you can see on the app what time the session started at, so if it's 30 minutes ago in all likelihood they'll be gone in 14 mins

Can't say im too inspired by that lot.

Got very distracted by his lack of mask.
    He was alone when doing the talk to mic (on need for the mask), anyway, he had one on his sleeve.
    or am I not seeing the /sarc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Irish price is inflated, but can go PM route.

He was alone when doing the talk to mic (on need for the mask), anyway, he had one on his sleeve.
    or am I not seeing the /sarc

No sarc, just couldn't but notice it when he was in cars with other journalists. I get that for presentation he doesn't want to wear a mask, buy in a car with multiple people in and out. No thanks.

Now for some sarcasm... Mask on his sleeve is doing a great job protecting him and others!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

KCross wrote:
    This BEV vs PHEV argument will never be won. The charge points are for whoever wants them based on the operators rules.

Very simple solution to this is make 3-pin plugs ubiquitous. That addresses the PHEV issue - 10A/13A plugs are much more suitable for them as they don't waste AC charger output (22/11 vs 3.7).

Schuko and CEE (3-phase) plugs are much more common in Continental Europe. In Ireland nobody doesn't really install 3pin sockets for some reason. There are many scenarios where they are fine and the cost is much lower as well.

For example France:
    4000 Schuko plugs around
    6000 Type 2 plugs
    800 CCS plugs

Germany:
    11000 Schuko plugs
    2500 CEE plugs
    37000 Type 2 plugs
    3900 CCS plugs

We need more 3pin sockets everywhere where costs or other constraints don't allow Type 2 charger. CEE commando wouldn't harm either but I understand 3-phase isn't common here. And then we obviously more Type 2 chargers as well.

Basically we need as many connections to the grid as possible and thar includes 3-pin, CEE, Type 2, CCS of various speeds as per the given scenario. 3pin would be many times better than nothing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭eagerv

An article from todays Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/customers-are-very-confused-motor-dealer-outlines-ev-reality-1.4325939

The implications from a dealer that EVs are only suitable for low mileage rural users and city dwellers.

eagerv wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/customers-are-very-confused-motor-dealer-outlines-ev-reality-1.4325939

The implications from a dealer that EVs are only suitable for low mileage rural users and city dwellers.

The question is: why do the news media go out of their way to find these clueless numpties? What agenda are they pushing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The question is: why do the news media go out of their way to find these clueless numpties? What agenda are they pushing?

the guys face dropped when they told him they had a 30k car, what exactly was he looking for? a brand new 20k ev to replace a sharan?

eagerv wrote: »

Seems most the EV videos I watch these days by average joes (none EV "fanboys"), they're pleasantly surprised and content with the range in cars. The ~400km+ range seems to get a similar reaction all round, "i'd want to stop before doing 400km".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd imagine Mr Connolly is no numpty but his agenda is to make as much profit as possible and that means peddling ICE cars for as long as possible as that is where their money is invested up to now (showrooms and service centres).

KCross wrote: »
    I'd imagine Mr Connolly is no numpty but his agenda is to make as much profit as possible and that means peddling ICE cars for as long as possible as that is where their money is invested up to now (showrooms and service centres).

Ah yes, but only if they're 5 years old or newer. Must be the best age range for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote: »
    the guys face dropped when they told him they had a 30k car, what exactly was he looking for? a brand new 20k ev to replace a sharan?

+1

Nearly 4 years ago I bought a brand new Ioniq EV as our only family car for €25k. The same price as a decent spec, same size, Skoda Octavia diesel

If you go to a VW dealer now you can order a good range base model ID.3 EV for 2021 for less than the cheapest base model Golf diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

There's a lot of scutter in that article that you wouldn't even hear from the 'man in the pub' anymore. Coming from someone in the trade at this stage in the game, ignorance can't even be an excuse anymore, it's just straight lying to suit his agenda. And published completely unchallenged in the 'paper of record'...

One thing he was trying to get at there and I think may have just been badly edited in the article is the lack of a 7 seater ev option, other than Tesla. To my uneducated mind MPVs are ideal for ev as a wide, deep and flat floor is typical in the design anyway. And you could offer several different battery capacities, preferably in an accessible, expandable and replaceable modular format. I think a manufacturer could clean up in that sector with a cheap and cheerful model even with low enough range. The 7 seater I'm most familiar with does 50-100km a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭eagerv

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Nearly 4 years ago I bought a brand new Ioniq EV as our only family car for €25k. The same price as a decent spec, same size, Skoda Octavia diesel

If you go to a VW dealer now you can order a good range base model ID.3 EV for 2021 for less than the cheapest base model Golf diesel

Hopefully soon, as in a lot of Europe, but I don't think as yet here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, Nissan have had a (short range) 7 seater EV option for years

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement