Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A tad cheeky Elm?
    Why? If there are restrictions there should be signs or access control. There were neither!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    Why? If there are restrictions there should be signs or access control. There were neither!

Would you drive up to a service station fuel pump, fill up & drive off?
    Most I know of have no signs or access control :D.

Or would you drive onto someone's driveway (open/no access control) & plug in to their Type 2, if they didn't have a sign?

I think you deliberately drove up to the Nissan dealer's charger because you had a Tesla & Chademo adapter :p.

Audi dealer in Limerick has a swanky Delta charger (150kW, 75kWx 2 I assume).
    2x CCS plugs on it plus a Type 2.

If you're passing through like, be gas to see you plug into it, in a Model S :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Other than the big ass Nissan sign and the fact as a long time ev driver you knew these charge points were provided for the purposes of increasing the initial chademo charge points available for Nissan leafs when they were first introduced. I’m not saying don’t use them or giving out but ye knew what you were doing 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kramer wrote: »

Or would you drive onto someone's driveway (open/no access control) & plug in to their Type 2, if they didn't have a sign?

I think you deliberately drove up to the Nissan dealer's charger because you had a Tesla & Chademo adapter :p.

If you're passing through like, be gas to see you plug into it, in a Model S :).

Absolutely HUGE history of Tesla's charging at Nissan garages for years, this is the reason why the CHAdeMO adapter was introduced by Tesla, specifically for Nissan use, early US Tesla's had Nissan Garages on their charging map while the Supercharger network was developing.
    CHAdeMO adapter huge in the UK, especially Scotland

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They certainly sell for ridiculous money in the UK. My plan was to forget about CCS (when it cost €500 to convert) and just buy a used CHAdeMO adapter on eBay for about €100. I'm unlikely to ever really need either, so didn't want to waste money. Just wanted some fast charging back up for an emergency really.

But that plan failed. The adapters seem to go for a minimum of GBP250 over in the UK. Insane money for a 43kW option, which is essentially barely faster than AC slow charging :p

• Advertisement

If there was a non-manned petrol station with pay at pump, and the pay at pump said free, would you drive off?

I've always been an advocate of, if I am able to plug in and get a charge (once it's not someone's house or something) then access control should distinguish who can charge and not.

Other than the big ass Nissan sign and the fact as a long time ev driver you knew these charge points were provided for the purposes of increasing the initial chademo charge points available for Nissan leafs when they were first introduced. I’m not saying don’t use them or giving out but ye knew what you were doing ��

This is what the Chademo adapter was for, using the chademo stations.

unkel wrote: »
    They certainly sell for ridiculous money in the UK. My plan was to forget about CCS (when it cost €500 to convert) and just buy a used CHAdeMO adapter on eBay for about €100. I'm unlikely to ever really need either, so didn't want to waste money. Just wanted some fast charging back up for an emergency really.

But that plan failed. The adapters seem to go for a minimum of GBP250 over in the UK. Insane money for a 43kW option, which is essentially barely faster than AC slow charging :p
    You can buy one from Tesla for less than that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile over at Ford.....

525795.jpeg

Can’t charge it, and can only drive in EV mode!!

Meanwhile over at Ford.....

525795.jpeg

Can’t charge it, and can only drive in EV mode!!

Not sure if you are coming to the right conclusion there. EV auto mode is letting the car decide whether to use petrol or EV drivetrain, surely? So the car can still be driven anywhere (on petrol) when the battery is empty?

Fair enough, so it's just reverted to a non plug in hybrid... kind of crappy for those who would barely use the petrol engine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well the Nissan dealer told me it's open for anyone, although I suspect he meant Nissan cars only

There's a ESB charger 5 mins away :P

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

You can buy one from Tesla for less than that I think

I thought they stopped making them, the only ones you can get now are second hand?

Fair enough, so it's just reverted to a non plug in hybrid... kind of crappy for those who would barely use the petrol engine..

I wonder do Ford have to pay back any grants or tax incentives on the cars, since they're regular ICE vehicles now

Well the Nissan dealer told me it's open for anyone, although I suspect he meant Nissan cars only

There's a ESB charger 5 mins away :P

Yeah but a free charge while waiting for someone is handy.

I thought they stopped making them, the only ones you can get now are second hand?

No, you can buy them new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I wonder do Ford have to pay back any grants or tax incentives on the cars, since they're regular ICE vehicles now

It's temporary until they're fixed. They're not regular ICE.

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's temporary until they're fixed. They're not regular ICE.

Well they are until they're fixed, which could be a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If there was a non-manned petrol station with pay at pump, and the pay at pump said free, would you drive off?

Sorry ELM, I didn't realise the Nissan dealer's charger had a "FREE CHARGING" sign on it :D.

Not knocking it - I admire your audacity, he who dares wins & all that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Claire Byrne Show on RTE1 is discussing EVs this morning.

Worth a listen to see what anti-EV agenda there is now?

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Claire Byrne Show on RTE1 is discussing EVs this morning.

Worth a listen to see what anti-EV agenda there is now?

EV's = bad because electricity is generated by gas bought off those pesky Russians

ICE's = good because we buy the oil off those lovely Arabs in Saudi Arabia

EV's = bad because electricity is generated by gas bought off those pesky Russians

lol

We are already generating a lot of renewables, but we have the potential to be 100% self sustainable if we added some storage to smooth out the trough/peak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

lol

We are already generating a lot of renewables, but we have the potential to be 100% self sustainable if we added some storage to smooth out the trough/peak.

ElectroRoute closes trading deal for 200MW energy storage sites in Offaly

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/electroroute-energy-storage-sites-offaly

Should that be MW or MWh?
    And surely we should be aiming for GW or GWh

lol

And storage is easy enough to do, we've already had it since 1974.....

Turlough Hill Power Station

slider-bus-turlough-hill-cigre-047-bus-up.jpg?fit=1170%2C540&ssl=1

Sorry ELM, I didn't realise the Nissan dealer's charger had a "FREE CHARGING" sign on it :D.

Not knocking it - I admire your audacity, he who dares wins & all that :).
    It did, it said connect your car!

Best and most scalable "storage" solution is interconnectors. We give other countries our excess wind electricity and we get solar / nuclear / hydro from them when they produce too much and we are short. But hey, there we go again pretending to be the renewable energy forum :p

I meet a guy yesterday who was one of the first people in NI to have a Leaf, in 2011.

We got chatting and he just said that its sad that there are no more public chargers in the Derry area than there were when he first bought the car.

Kinda sums up the public infrastructure and lack of investment in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

NI is not quite the same as "here" though, with Stormount out of action for all those years all EV legislation went on hold.
    They are in limbo until it's all sorted, no one will invest in a country where they are not allowed to charge and create income

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    NI is not quite the same as "here" though, with Stormount out of action for all those years all EV legislation went on hold.
    They are in limbo until it's all sorted, no one will invest in a country where they are not allowed to charge and create income

True, but perhaps the local Gov should have been providing more too.

Money was being spent on local services over all those years.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I meet a guy yesterday who was one of the first people in NI to have a Leaf, in 2011.

We got chatting and he just said that its sad that there are no more public chargers in the Derry area than there were when he first bought the car.

Kinda sums up the public infrastructure and lack of investment in it.

The ESB was blocked for a couple of years around 2018 because the CRU said they had to start charging people money for the service and they were back and forth trying to work it out. During that time they weren't allowed install any new chargers. I guess their excuse before that was that there wasn't enough demand to justify more chargers, blah, blah, blah :pac:

Given the explosion of EVs that has happened since then, and is still happening, it's no wonder the infrastructure isn't up to scratch.

Also, as I've said before, I'm pretty sure making money from charging is a dead duck, can't see how they pay for the electricity and the equipment with the rates people are paying. The only way forward is to use chargers as a way of driving more profitable sales. For example, installing chargers in service stations to get more people buying coffees and snacks

• Advertisement

Don't forget all those CO2 emissions that EVs create when their batteries are built and when they fill up using power generated from burning coal and puppies

Petrol on the other hand just magically appears in the petrol pump with no polluting energy intensive steps in between :rolleyes:

Advertisement