Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Well done. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think we're a lot closer to 26GWh, maybe your sums are out by a factor of 1000?

Ireland uses about 5000 kWh a year per capita.
    So that would only cover 5000ish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

JPA wrote: »
    Ireland uses about 5000 kWh a year per capita.
    So that would only cover 5000ish people.

Yeah, I missed the howler and made a mistake of my own.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Unkel I think you are being too optimistic and you detractors are being too pessimistic. Turlough Hill only has a capacity of 292MW but it can go from standstill to full generation within 13 seconds and can generate electricity at full load for up to six hours per day.
    The average difference between the peak load and min load every day is about 2000MW but fortunately the peak is during the day when the sun is shining - except in December/January :(. Also we often get 24-48 hours of very low wind power generation.

The cost of going renewable increases super-linearly as we approach 100% renewable. Something like 85% renewable can be had relatively cheaply and quickly. But even this would require a combination of more reneables, more storage and more interconnectors. It would also help if we could make the heavier consumers smart so they take advantage of lower rates at times of high renewable generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,679 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

garo wrote: »
    Unkel I think you are being too optimistic

I was not being optimistic, I was just explaining the idea about the plan. It's very doable from an engineering and cost point of view, but it will mean flooding some very large areas of land and that will never get political support in Ireland, hence why I referred to having a friendly dictator ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Anyone know enough German to know what’s going on here? They have an ID.3, e-Niro, Taycan and Ampera using Superchargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Apparently a software bug in the v3 super chargers.

Won’t last long I’d say!

garo wrote: »
    Unkel I think you are being too optimistic and you detractors are being too pessimistic.

I'm all for pumped hydro & that Silvermines scheme, but it'll just be a tiny contributor in the overall solution.
    As mentioned, it'll help with the clean up necessary from the mining operation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

unkel wrote: »
    I was not being optimistic, I was just explaining the idea about the plan. It's very doable from an engineering and cost point of view, but it will mean flooding some very large areas of land and that will never get political support in Ireland, hence why I referred to having a friendly dictator ;)

There’s a friendly dictator in Turkey and he has just flooded 12,000 years of history in Hasankeyf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JohnC. wrote: »
    Anyone know enough German to know what’s going on here? They have an ID.3, e-Niro, Taycan and Ampera using Superchargers.

Some more details here https://www.engadget.com/tesla-v3-superchargers-allow-free-charges-for-rival-evs-194629138.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

MJohnston wrote: »

LOL, nice one, no V3 chargers in Ireland, pity, nothing like s freebie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

Kramer wrote: »
    dam damn

That thing generates about 4 times what we use at any given time. However, the flooded area is equal with the sum of the first 8 largest Irish lakes or something like this Still wishing Aladeen to build it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thankfully that V3 freeforall has been ended quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

innrain wrote: »
    dam damn

That thing generates about 4 times what we use at any given time. However, the flooded area is equal with the sum of the first 8 largest Irish lakes or something like this Still wishing Aladeen to build it?

I think if that was the place flooded, you'd have a majority of pop. behind it no matter the cost :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think if that was the place flooded, you'd have a majority of pop. behind it no matter the cost :D

That area does a pretty good job of flooding itself regularly anyway, might as well get some use out of it :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

dam damn

So what you're saying is that we'd only need 1/4 of that area, and we already have a bunch of lakes we can use anyway ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting article on battery degradation...

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

slave1 wrote: »
    Interesting article on battery degradation...

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

Interesting.

The BMW I3 seems to fare badly on that model check tool. Worse than the same year Leaf?

In fact, if you choose 2017, giving 3 years of data, the I3 is by far the worst of the cars available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Interesting.

The BMW I3 seems to fare badly on that model check tool. Worse than the same year Leaf?

In fact, if you choose 2017, giving 3 years of data, the I3 is by far the worst of the cars available here.

Cue Mad_lad to regale us with tales of his zero degradation i3! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

KCross wrote: »

and benefits of the rex :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Interesting.

It's just the 2017 i3 that seems to fare badly, for some reason.

I wonder where that data is from? Must be US only. And where did they get it from? The fact that they only have i3 info from 2017 doesn't give me a lot of confidence , the car has been around since 2013. Also Tesla Model S only available from 2015 (around since 2012)

And a Nissan Leaf from 2012 has zero battery degradation? Yeah right :p I'm calling BS on that study :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

So what you're saying is that we'd only need 1/4 of that area, and we already have a bunch of lakes we can use anyway ;)
    No just some random thoughts. I was trying to visualize the size of things. Not really my field but I believe having the lakes is not enough. You need the heights to increase the potential energy.

Interesting enough Europe does not have large capacity hydro power units, largest was built by two dictators back in 70's.

I believe having the lakes is not enough. You need the heights to increase the potential energy.

That's right. Hence the west of Ireland where you could have the lakes with quite some elevation above sea level
    Interesting enough Europe does not have large capacity hydro power units, largest was built by two dictators back in 70's.

It upsets a few people who have to move house as their homes will be flooded. They will protest. A dictator generally doesn't really care and just makes the protest disappear :p

unkel wrote: »
    That's right. Hence the west of Ireland where you could have the lakes with quite some elevation above sea level

I was never much good at maths, but if I'm correct, These are the figures:

Discharge rates:
    Three Gorges Dam: 48,800 cubic metres per second
    River Shannon: 200 cubic metres per second.

:eek:.

With our annual rainfall & given the Shannon drains 20% of Ireland, we'd need 250 times the area of Ireland, or, 250 times our annual rainfall, to feed that dam.

Its scale is beyond our comprehension.

The Three Gorges Dam would completely drain Lough Derg in 5 hours.

You could flood the whole of Connaught - we'd still only have 0.4% of the rainfall needed to feed it :eek:.

Discharge rates:
    Three Gorges Dam: 48,800 cubic metres per second
    River Shannon: 200 cubic metres per second.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Shannon

Apart from being Ireland's longest river, the Shannon is also, by far, Ireland's largest river by flow. It has a long term average flow rate of 208.1 m3/s (7,350 cu ft/s) (at Limerick)

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/water-china-gorges-dam-nears-maximum-levels-200821044024067.html

With 75,000 cubic metres per second of water flowing in from the Yangtze River on Thursday, the reservoir's depth had reached 165.6 metres (543 feet) by Friday morning, up more than two metres (6.6 feet) overnight and almost 20 metres (65.6 feet) higher than the official warning level.

The maximum designed depth of China's largest reservoir is 175 metres (574 feet).

Authorities raised the discharge volume to a record 48,800 cubic metres per second on Thursday to try and lower water levels

Makes Turlough Hill/Silvermines looks like paddling pools :D.

No just some random thoughts. I was trying to visualize the size of things. Not really my field but I believe having the lakes is not enough. You need the heights to increase the potential energy.

I think probably the reason for that is a combination of politics and geography.

Most of the dams built in Europe are pretty old, so they didn't have the technology available. Plus there wasn't as big a problem with flooding as China had to justify the Three Gorges.

Plus when you dam a river, you restrict the water supply downriver. In Europe that could involve another country and historically European countries don't need much to turn a dispute into a violent conflict.

Europe from what I can see is more of a patchwork of smaller hydro projects. I actually prefer this as they're less distributive overall and probably easier to win over support. Plus I don't like concentrating all our resources in one place

With our annual rainfall & given the Shannon drains 20% of Ireland, we'd need 250 times the area of Ireland, or, 250 times our annual rainfall, to feed that dam.

We're not feeding that dam from a river or from rain ;)

Guy buys a $31,000 electric "supercar" from a Chinese dealer, gets scammed with this!

All jokes about Chinese quality control are valid

They couldn't even get forward and reverse the right way round! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »
    Cyrus wrote: »
    and benefits of the rex :P

On the back roads...

Advertisement