Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, but could you take 12 minutes 32 seconds to tell me that?

Gotta get them hits/views/ad revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gotta get them hits/views/ad revenue

The unglamorous life of a Youtuber...

To be fair, I thought it was interesting to see how the car recovers (or doesn't) from the 12v failure. It was interesting how he got the parking brake error that wouldn't go away, I reckon that some of the error codes won't clear unless you visit the garage and everything was actually fine.

Need to wait for the next video to see :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

google just pushed this article for me; even if it is behind a paywall I saw the picture caption reading:
    "Ryan, right with ESB chief Padraig McManus, recently applied for planning permission to widen his home driveway to allow for a EV charging point"
    So now people will think you need planning permission to install a charger. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Only if they have terrible reading comprehension. It clearly says the pp was for widening the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm surprised to not see a dedicated thread on the VRT changes etc.

I've been trying to make sense of it all. Is the VRT refund staying? Is the 5,000 SEAI grant staying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

myshirt wrote: »
    I'm surprised to not see a dedicated thread on the VRT changes etc.

I've been trying to make sense of it all. Is the VRT refund staying? Is the 5,000 SEAI grant staying?

Thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058121728

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

JohnC. wrote: »
    Only if they have terrible reading comprehension. It clearly says the pp was for widening the driveway.
    "..widen his home driveway to allow for a EV charging point." It implies that the need to widen the driveway is required by the installation of the charging point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

3 Hyundai EV's stolen this morning in Navan between 5-6am...

Be careful out there folks... and if you don't have a Faraday cage/box, it might be worth investing in one.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Be careful out there folks... and if you don't have a Faraday cage/box, it might be worth investing in one.

You made quick work of it. 3 in an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is that treated as a claim on your NCB if you claim for a stolen car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends on your insurer. If you have a decent one it is not a claim. If you went for cheap Mickey Mouse insurance it is a claim. Remember the Ioniq owner whose car got flooded? Lost his no claims...

I suppose the question is, if you are asked the standard "any claims in the past X years", the answer is yes then even for stolen car?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You might not lose the NCB but the base rate might be increased

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I remember looking into this but cant remember the answer now.... are those relay attacks limited to cars that have keyless entry? I think they are.

i.e. If you have to physically push the button on the fob to unlock the car does that make you immune to these thefts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    Remember the Ioniq owner whose car got flooded? Lost his no claims...

He should have insured it :pac:.

ncb protection, it's really mandatory these days

MJohnston wrote: »

Cheers. I can see in the Finance Bill that the grant is gone for cars in excess of 50k. It's compensated somewhat by the VRT reduction but still sad to see.

Good news for anyone buying a 40-ish car. That will get the grant and the reduced VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cheers. I can see in the Finance Bill that the grant is gone for cars in excess of 50k. It's compensated somewhat by the VRT reduction but still sad to see.

Good news for anyone buying a 40-ish car. That will get the grant and the reduced VRT.

does an ID3 get cheaper then?

i think (could be wrong) but on the more expensive evs like e-tron and i pace etc you actually save a little more under the new rules which seems counter intuitive.

price of a diesel x5 3 litre is up 10/11 k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't want to backseat mod or anything, but this has all been done to death on that other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

about a year ago I signed up for the introductory offer with esb - free subscription for a year with esb ecars charging

I rarely use the ESB network. like once every 2 months or so. just when stuck, but handy to have all the same.

I spoke to a lad on the phone in ESB and said I want to just move to pay as you go and he said there is an initial top up of €20 required

I just want pay as you go, so when I use it, take the money out of my account.

any idea what this top-up is about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It doesn't really come straight out of your bank account when you use the charge point. You put money in the ecars account and it comes out of that. You can have the ecars account set up to top up from your bank account when it gets to a certain level, but you need to have money in the ecars account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I have never put money on my account. It just takes the exact amount.

JPA wrote: »

Yeah, that's the subscription model I guess. BS that they don't allow the same for the pay as you go model. How many thousands of drivers storing 20 or so quid in esbs accounts?

JPA wrote: »

Yeah. This is what I want. From a principal point of view I don’t want my 20 quid sitting with ESB. It will prob take me a couple of years to use that amount

Could I cancel ESB and just use EasyGO?

I don't see why the €20 is needed. They have my billing details already. They're happy to bill me at the end of a month. Just keep doing that but at higher prices. Not sure how many members they have, but €20 X a few thousand cars is a nice influx of cash ecars can waste somewhere.

I don't see why the €20 is needed. They have my billing details already. They're happy to bill me at the end of a month. Just keep doing that but at higher prices. Not sure how many members they have, but €20 X a few thousand cars is a nice influx of cash ecars can waste somewhere.

exactly, a matter of principle, dont want them having my dosh,

obi604 wrote: »
    exactly, a matter of principle, dont want them having my dosh,

And just to repeat, this is 20 quid we are talking about?

And just to repeat, this is 20 quid we are talking about?

yes !!! Isn’t it better in my pocket than sitting in a multi million pound companies bank account.

obi604 wrote: »
    Could I cancel ESB and just use EasyGO?

There's several networks you could use, Easygo, plug surfing, and charge map should all work, although they might not have the best rates

Having said that, if as you say you only use it occasionally then the rates probably don't matter much in the long run

• Advertisement

Hey, the Christmas party isn't going to pay for itself :D

I assume as you say it's just a way to get money off people for nothing, I wouldn't be surprised if the credit 'expires' after a while

Advertisement